List of psychotropic medications
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of medications which are used to treat psychiatric conditions that are on the market in the United States.
- Abilify - antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and agitation
- Adderall - stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Ambien - used as a sleep aid, cause drowsiness
- Antabuse - used to treat alcohol addiction
- Aricept - used to slow the progression of dementia
- Anafranil - tricyclic antidepressant; mostly used for OCD
- Ativan - benzodiazepine, used to relieve anxiety
- Brintellix - Antidepressant, class other<Medscape>
- BuSpar - an anti -anxiety medication
- Benzodiazepines - a class of sedatives
- Celexa - an antidepressant of the SSRI class (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
- Clozaril - an atypical antipsychotic (Clozapine)
- Concerta - an extended release form of methylphenidate(NDRI used to treat ADD/ADHD)
- Cymbalta - an antidepressant of the SSNRI (Selective Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor) class, similar to Effexor (venlafaxine)
- Depakote - an antiepileptic and mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder, neuropathic pain and others. Sometimes called an antimanic medication
- Doxepin - brand name Sinequan, a tricyclic antidepressant,also used to treat nerve pain, insomnia a.similar to imipramine.
- Dexedrine - dextroamphetamine sulfate, used to treat severe ADHD and Narcolepsy.
- Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride, used to treat severe ADHD and severe exogenous obesity. Rarely used.
- Effexor - an antidepressant of the SSNRI (or SNRI) class
- Elavil - a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA), less commonly used these days as an antidepressant or to treat psychiatric conditions (considered a first line treatment option for neuropathic pain)
- Eskalith - a salt of Lithium, which is a mood stabilizer used to prevent bipolar disorder.
- Fluoxetine - (Prozac) is an SSRI drug used to treat major depressive disorder, bulimia nervosa (an eating disorder) obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
- Fluvoxamine - (Luvox) is the first SSRI drug. It is indicated to treat obsessive compulsive disorder (US) and both OCD and depression elsewhere in the world.
- Haldol - a "typical" antipsychotic, one of the oldest, usually given in conjunction with "cogentin", an antiparkinsonic. This is due to the high occurrence of tardive dyskinesia on patients with prolonged Haldol use.
- Imipramine - a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) which is sometimes used to treat bulimia, panic disorder, or related disorders
- Inderal - a beta blocker known as propranolol. It is used for acute anxiety, panic attacks, hypertension.
- Invega Sustenna- an atypical antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, delusions, and aggression.
- Keppra - an anticonvulsant drug which is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer
- Klonopin - anti-anxiety and anti-epileptic medication of the benzodiazepine class
- Lamictal - a mood stabilizer of the anticonvulsant class
- Latuda - an atypical anti-psychotic
- Lexapro - an antidepressant of the SSRI class
- Librium - the first approved medication of the benzodiazepine class. Mostly used to treat acute alcohol withdrawal.
- Lithium (generic name) - Known more commonly by its generic name, a mood stabilizer used in treating bipolar disorder
- Lithobid (Lithium) - A trade drug of the antipsychotic drug lithium, which is a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder
- Lunesta - a sleep aid
- Luvox - an antidepressant of the SSRI class, often used to treat Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Mellaril - an antipsychotic, today rarely used
- Namenda - used to slow the progression of Alzheimer's Dementia
- Navane - an antipsychotic, today rarely used
- Neurontin - an anticonvulsant (anti -seizure medication) which is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer or to treat chronic pain, particularly diabetic neuropathy
- Olanzapine - an second generation antipsychotic
- Paxil - an SSRI antidepressant, used frequently to treat depression and anxiety disorders
- Phenelzine - (Nardil)-MAOIs for depression
- Pristiq - an SNRI antidepressant
- Prolixin - an antipsychotic
- Prozac - an SSRI antidepressant
- Phenobarbital- a barbiturate, sedative and hypnotic properties
- Quetiapine an antipsychotic drug mainly used to treat schizophrenia
- Remeron - an antidepressant which is often used as a sleep aid
- Restoril - a sleep aid of the benzodiazepine class
- Risperdal - an "atypical" antipsychotic
- Ritalin - a stimulant used to treat ADHD/ADD
- Saphris - an atypical antipsychotic
- Serax - anti -anxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class, often used to help during detoxification from alcohol or other drugs of abuse
- Sertraline HCl an SSRI class anti-depressant (brand name Zoloft)
- Seroquel - an "atypical" antipsychotic, sometimes is used as a sleep aid when given in low doses
- Serzone- an "atypical" antidepressant
- Stelazine - an older antipsychotic, today rarely used
- Strattera - a non-stimulant medication used to treat ADD/ADHD
- Sycrest - an atypical antipsychotic
- Thorazine - an older antipsychotic, although highly effective it is rarely used today because of the high occurrence of serious side effects
- Topamax - a mood stabilizer, also used for migraine headaches
- Trazodone - atypical antidepressant, most typically used now as a sleep aid
- Trileptal - a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder
tegretol- antiseizure that can also be used for mood disorder
- Valium - anti-anxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class
- Vistaril - an antihistamine for the treatment of itches and irritations, an antiemetic, as a weak analgesic, an opioid potentiator, and as an anxiolytic.
- Vyvanse - a stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Wellbutrin - an antidepressant of the norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) class, structurally identical to Zyban, a smoking cessation aid
- Xanax - an antianxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class
- Zoloft - an antidepressant of the SSRI class Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor
- Zyprexa - an "atypical" antipsychotic medication used in the treatment of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and various types of dementia and /sometimes OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Zaleplon - a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic
- Zolpidem - a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic