List of pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The following page lists all pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations that are larger than 1,000 MW in installed generating capacity, which are currently operational or under construction. Those power stations that are smaller than 1,000 MW, and those that are decommissioned or only at a planning/proposal stage may be found in regional lists, listed at the end of the page.
Pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The table below lists currently operational power stations. Some of these may have additional units under construction, but only current installed capacity is listed.
This table lists future 1,000 MW or larger stations that are under construction; some may be partially operational with a current installed capacity under 1,000 MW.
|Station||Country||Location||Capacity (MW)||Expected Completion||Ref|
|Dniester Pumped Storage Power Station||Ukraine||2,268||2017|||
|Fengning Pumped Storage Power Station||China||3,600||2019|||
|Huanggou Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,200||2019|||
|Jixi Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,800||2018|||
|Kannagawa Hydropower Plant||Japan||2,820||2020|||
|Linth-Limmern Pumped Storage Station||Switzerland||1,000||2015|||
|Liyang Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,500||2016|||
|Tehri Pumped Storage Power Station||India||1,000||2016|
|Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage Power Plant||Indonesia||1,040||2018|||
|Zagorsk-2 Pumped Storage Station||Russia||840||2017|||
- List of energy storage projects
- List of hydroelectric power station failures
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- List of largest power stations in the world
- United States Department of Energy International Energy Storage Database
- "Overview of energy storage methods" (PDF). MORA Associates. p. 15. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in China - Industcards
- Hydro Pumped Storage Power Plant (PDF), retrieved 2012-12-07
- 我国部分拟建抽水蓄能电站 [List of pumped-storage power plants in China 1] (PDF) (PDF) (in Chinese), archived from the original (PDF) on July 7, 2011
- 我国在建的抽水蓄能电站(截至2009 年底) [Constructed pumped storage power stations (by end of 2009)] (PDF) (PDF) (in Chinese), archived from the original (PDF) on unknown Check date values in:
- Bath County Pumped-storage Station, retrieved 2011-12-30
- Hydroelectric pumped storage technology: international experience By American Society of Civil Engineers. Task Committee on Pumped Storage
- The Čierny Váh pumped storage power plant | Slovenské elektrárne
- "General Layout of Drakensberg Pumped Storage Scheme" (PDF). Eskom. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "The Upper Gesso Plant". Active Communications International. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Strategy - Hydropower - EDF Group
- Guangzhou pumped-storage facility
- World Pumps: Voith delivers pumped storage plants to China and Austria
- Large-scale pumped-storage power stations in Japan
- TEPCO 2009 Annual Report
- 1,600 planned maximum
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations in Japan
- Kazunogawa Hydroelectric Power Plant, Japan - Power Technology
- "Thyssen Schachtbau wins contract for an 820 m raise-bore shaft for the pumped storage power station in Kärnten" (PDF). Thyssen Schachtbau. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Knight Piésold Consulting (2010). BC Hydro Evaluation of Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Potential (PDF) (Technical report). Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations
- "Pumped storage data - Japan". Water Power & Dam Construction Magazine. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "2003-2004 Electricity Review in Japan" (PDF). Japan Nuclear. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in Japan". Indust Cards. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Water quality: Asahi Dam, Japan
- "The Pushihe pumped storage power station project layout Introduction" (PDF) (in Chinese). PSP.org. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Renewable Energy World Magazine: Worldwide Pumped Storage Activity
- Toshiba News Release: Toshiba Wins Major Order for Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Generators for China's CSG Power Generation Company
- "Qingyuan Pumped Storage Power Station Environmental Impact Report abbreviated" (PDF) (in Chinese). HydroChina Huadong Engineering Corporation. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- Rocky Mountain Hydroelectric Plant
- "Roncovalgrande -Macclesfield" (in Italian). ENEL. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "Sardar Sarovar Power Complex". Narmada Control Authority. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan - Power mag
- Currently being expanded to 1,296 MW
- Vianden Pumped Storage Plant - Unit 11
- Société Électrique de l'Our: Centrale de Vianden
- "Xianyou Pumped Storage Power Station Unit 4 Kai Committee held" (in Chinese). China Hydropower Engineering Consulting Group. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Overview" (in Russian). RUSHydro. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- 972 in operation
- Tymoshenko launches the first unit of Dnister Hydroelectric Power Plant, retrieved 2010-09-01
- "DNIESTER HYDRO PUMP STORAGE PLANT COMPLETION PROJECT" (PDF). World Bank AGM. October 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "World's Largest Pumped Storage Power Station with 3.6GW Installed Capacity Began Construction in Fengning". State Grid Corporation of China. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "Huanggou Pumped Storage Power Station under construction" (in Chinese). DPCM News. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- HydroWorld: Jixi pumped-storage hydro plant begins operation in China
- 940 in operation
- Power - Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan
- Kannagawa Pumped-storage Station, retrieved 2010-06-25
- "Commencement of Commercial Operation of Unit 1 of Kannagawa Hydropower Plant-- Pumped-Storage Power Plant with World's Largest Capacity". TEPCO. December 22, 2005. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- Pumped storage plants - Status and perspectives
- China's fourth largest pumped storage power station started in Liyang
- "Converting to pumped storage". International Water Power & Dam Construction. December 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "PLTA Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage will immediately be built". ESDM. Retrieved 21 January 2012.