List of pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The following page lists all pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations that are larger than 1,000 MW in installed generating capacity, which are currently operational or under construction. Those power stations that are smaller than 1,000 MW, and those that are decommissioned or only at a planning/proposal stage may be found in regional lists, listed at the end of the page.
Pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
The table below lists currently operational power stations. Some of these may have additional units under construction, but only current installed capacity is listed.
This table lists future 1,000 MW or larger stations that are under construction; some may be partially operational with a current installed capacity under 1,000 MW.
|Station||Country||Location||Capacity (MW)||Expected Completion||Ref|
|Fengning Pumped Storage Power Station||China||3,600||2019-2021|||
|Kannagawa Hydropower Plant||Japan||2,820||2020|||
|Dniester Pumped Storage Power Station||Ukraine||2,268||2019-?|||
|Jixi Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,800||2018|||
|Huanggou Pumped Storage Power Station||China||1,200||2019|||
|Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage Power Plant||Indonesia||1,040||2018|||
|Linth-Limmern Pumped Storage Station||Switzerland||1,000||2017|||
|Tehri Pumped Storage Power Station||India||1,000||2018|||
- List of energy storage projects
- List of hydroelectric power station failures
- List of hydroelectric power stations
- List of largest power stations in the world
- United States Department of Energy International Energy Storage Database
- Bath County Pumped-storage Station, archived from the original on 2012-01-03, retrieved 2011-12-30
- Hydro Pumped Storage Power Plant (PDF), retrieved 2012-12-07
- 我国部分拟建抽水蓄能电站 [List of pumped-storage power plants in China 1] (PDF) (PDF) (in Chinese), archived from the original (PDF) on July 7, 2011
- 我国在建的抽水蓄能电站(截至2009 年底) [Constructed pumped storage power stations (by end of 2009)] (PDF) (PDF) (in Chinese), archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-07
- Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in China - Industcards
- Guangzhou pumped-storage facility
- "2003-2004 Electricity Review in Japan" (PDF). Japan Nuclear. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- Strategy - Hydropower - EDF Group
- La Muela II Pumped storage power station | Iberdrola
- Knight Piésold Consulting (2010). BC Hydro Evaluation of Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Potential (PDF) (Technical report). Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations
- "Pumped storage data - Japan". Water Power & Dam Construction Magazine. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- China's fourth largest pumped storage power station started in Liyang
- "Converting to pumped storage". International Water Power & Dam Construction. December 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "中部電力｜奥美濃発電所 - 中部電力の水力発電所". www.chuden.co.jp. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Principal Hydroelectric Power Plants - The Federation of Electric Power Companies of Japan(FEPC)". www.fepc.or.jp. Retrieved 2017-07-24.
- "Sardar Sarovar Power Complex". Narmada Control Authority. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "The Upper Gesso Plant". Active Communications International. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- Currently being expanded to 1,296 MW
- Renewable Energy World Magazine: Worldwide Pumped Storage Activity
- Vianden Pumped Storage Plant - Unit 11
- Société Électrique de l'Our: Centrale de Vianden
- Toshiba News Release: Toshiba Wins Major Order for Pumped Storage Hydroelectric Generators for China's CSG Power Generation Company
- "Qingyuan Pumped Storage Power Station Environmental Impact Report abbreviated" (PDF) (in Chinese). HydroChina Huadong Engineering Corporation. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- TEPCO 2009 Annual Report
- Pumped-storage hydroelectric stations in Japan
- Aldeadávila I y II Pumped storage power station | Iberdrola
- Water quality: Asahi Dam, Japan
- "Overview of energy storage methods" (PDF). MORA Associates. p. 15. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-26. Retrieved 2014-07-26.
- World Pumps: Voith delivers pumped storage plants to China and Austria
- 1,600 planned maximum
- Kazunogawa Hydroelectric Power Plant, Japan - Power Technology
- "Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in Japan". Indust Cards. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "The Pushihe pumped storage power station project layout Introduction" (PDF) (in Chinese). PSP.org. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan - Power mag
- "Xianyou Pumped Storage Power Station Unit 4 Kai Committee held" (in Chinese). China Hydropower Engineering Consulting Group. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Overview" (in Russian). RUSHydro. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- Hydroelectric pumped storage technology: international experience By American Society of Civil Engineers. Task Committee on Pumped Storage
- Rocky Mountain Hydroelectric Plant
- Large-scale pumped-storage power stations in Japan
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Thyssen Schachtbau wins contract for an 820 m raise-bore shaft for the pumped storage power station in Kärnten" (PDF). Thyssen Schachtbau. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- "Roncovalgrande -Macclesfield" (in Italian). ENEL. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "General Layout of Drakensberg Pumped Storage Scheme" (PDF). Eskom. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "World’s Largest Pumped Storage Power Station with 3.6GW Installed Capacity Began Construction in Fengning". State Grid Corporation of China. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- 940 in operation
- Power - Kannagawa Hydropower Plant, Japan
- Kannagawa Pumped-storage Station, retrieved 2010-06-25
- "Commencement of Commercial Operation of Unit 1 of Kannagawa Hydropower Plant-- Pumped-Storage Power Plant with World's Largest Capacity". TEPCO. December 22, 2005. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- 972 in operation
- Tymoshenko launches the first unit of Dnister Hydroelectric Power Plant, archived from the original on 2011-07-11, retrieved 2010-09-01
- "DNIESTER HYDRO PUMP STORAGE PLANT COMPLETION PROJECT" (PDF). World Bank AGM. October 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2010.
- "“Ukrhydroenergo” will invest 4.5 billion to the development of the power system – The International Massmedia Agency". Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- HydroWorld: Jixi pumped-storage hydro plant begins operation in China
- "Huanggou Pumped Storage Power Station under construction" (in Chinese). DPCM News. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2014.
- "PLTA Upper Cisokan Pumped Storage will immediately be built". ESDM. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- Pumped storage plants - Status and perspectives