List of rail trails
This is a list of rail trails around the world longer than 0.1 miles (160 metres). Rail trails are former railway lines that have been converted to paths designed for pedestrian, bicycle, skating, equestrian, and/or light motorized traffic. Most are multiuse trails offering at least pedestrians and cyclists recreational access and right-of-way to the routes.
- Parts of , Johor Bahru (Malaysia)-Tanjong Pagar (Singapore) KTM railway, known as the Green Corridor
- Parts of , Thailand-Burma Death Railway
- The Jerusalem Railway Park
- Parts of Old Jungang line (Paldang-Yangpyeong)
- Dongfeng Bicycle Green Way
- Hou-Fong bike path
- Tanya Shen Green Bikeway
- Taolin Bikeway
A more complete reference can be found at www.bahntrassenradeln.de.
- Dampfross und Drahtesel on the former de:Stammersdorfer Lokalbahn
- de:Traisentalradweg on the former de:Leobersdorfer Bahn
- Reichraminger Hintergebirgs on former de:Waldbahn Reichraming
- Part of de:Steyrtalradweg follows the former de:Steyrtalbahn
- Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn-Radweg on the former de:Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn between Strobl and St. Gilgen
- de:Salzkammergut-Radweg on the former de:Ischlerbahn and de:Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn from Salzburg to Bad Ischl
- The first 18 kilometers of the de:Feistritztal-Radweg between Ratten and de:Birkfeld on a dismantled part of the de:Feistritztalbahn
- Line 29 from Aarschot to Herentals
- Line 29 north of Turnhout towards the Dutch border
- Line 38 from Liège to Hombourg (Ravel 5)
- Line 62 from Ostend to Torhout
- Part of line 109 from Chimay to Froidchapelle
- Line 142 from Namur to Hoegaarden (Ravel 2)
- Most of Line 160 from Brussels to Tervuren
- Part of line 163A from Sainte-Cécile to Muno
- Line 257 from Kyjov to Mutěnice
- Line 302 from Nezamyslice to Morkovice-Slížany
- Line 326 from Hostašovice to Nový Jičín
- Fodsporet, 40 km between Slagelse and Næstved via Dalmose plus 12 km between Dalmose and Skælskør in the southeastern part of Sjælland opened 2011
- Himmerlandsstien, 70 km between Viborg and Løgstør in the northern part of Jutland opened 2007 (Danish: da:Himmerlandsstien)
- Naturstien Horsens-Silkeborg Naturetrail, 60 km between Horsens-Silkeborg in the middle of Jutland
- Baana, a 1.5-km (0.93 miles) section of the old Helsinki harbour rail line.
- Avenue Verte between St-Aubin-le-Cauf (near Dieppe) and Forges-les-Eaux
- The promenade plantée ("walk with trees") (4.5 km) in the 12th arrondissement of Paris, France; built on the former railway line between Bastille area and the eastern suburbs of Paris (1859 - 1969)
- Coulée verte ("green belt") (29 km), on the former railway lines from Amiens and Beauvais (43 km), opened for the traffic between 1874 and 1972 or 1990
- Coulée verte ("green belt") (1 km), on the former transversal railway line (closed in 1979) between the station of Colombes and the station of "Les Vallées" la Garenne-Colombes
- The voie verte ("green way") is a former railway line transformed in bicycle trail in the Vosges; it links Remiremont to Bussang and Remiremont to Cornimont
- Voie verte from Givry to Mâcon
- Voie verte from Mios to Bazas, a former railway line transformed into a bicycle trail (76 km) in the Aquitaine
- The Roger Lapébie bike path runs for 57 km from Bordeaux, through Créon and onto Sauveterre-de-Guyenne.
Germany has 613 rail trails with a total length of 4,400 kilometres (2,700 mi) (as at September 2013). 80 more projects are being planned or under construction. These are some of the longest rail trails in Germany:
- The Bahnradweg Hessen with a total length of 250 kilometres (160 mi) following old tracks of the Vogelsbergbahn, Vogelsberger Südbahn, Biebertalbahn and Ulstertalbahn.
- The Bockl-Radweg in Bavaria with a total length of 45 km on the old track, from Neustadt a.d. Waldnaab to Eslarn
- The Maare-Mosel-Radweg with 39 kilometres (24 mi) on the old rail track
- The Ruwer-Hochwald-Radweg with 44 kilometres (27 mi) on the old rail track
- The Schinderhannes-Radweg with 36 kilometres (22 mi) on the old track of the Hunsrück Railway
- The Vennbahn trail is a cross-border trail between Germany, Belgium und Luxembourg, which follows the route of the former Vennbahn railway line for approximately 130 kilometres (81 mi) from the city of Aachen through the High Fens – Eifel Nature Park and the Ardennes to Troisvierges
- The Nordbahntrasse trail crosses for 23 km the city of Wuppertal, and has so far one of the highest standards of rail trails in Germany.
- Part of line 11 from Szentkirályszabadja to Balatonalmádi
- Old track of line 25 from Bagod to Zalalövő
- Part of line 49 from Tamási to Pári
- Part of line 63 from Pécs to Pellérd
- Part of line 65 from Harkány to Drávaszabolcs
- Part of the disused narrow gauge line from Sátoraljaújhely to Pálháza
- Part of the disused line from Bárdudvarnok to Lipótfa
In planning/under construction
- Connemara Greenway (under development)
- Deise Greenway (under development), when completed, this rail trail is planned to follow the route of the former Dungarvan to Waterford railway, passing through Stradbally and Kilmacthomas; initial stage at the Dungarvan end has been completed
- Tralee-Fenit Greenway (under development)
Isle of Man
- Isle of Man Steam Heritage Trail: Douglas to Peel (10 miles)
- Prince Henri railway in Clemency, converted into a cycle track
- Ecopista do Rio Minho
- Ecovia do Rio Lima
- Ecopista do Tâmega
- Ecopista do Dão
- Senda del oso, Asturias
- Vía Verde de la Sierra (mountain's rail track), Cádiz and Seville
- Vía Verde de la Sierra de la Demanda, Burgos
- Vía Verde de Ojos Negros, Valencia and Teruel
- GIRONA - NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY ROUTE I - This 57-km route crosses three regions and twelve towns, following the valleys of the Fluvià, Brugent and Ter rivers. The Narrow-Gauge Railway Route descends smoothly from Olot (440 m) to Girona (70 m).
- GIRONA - NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY ROUTE II - The Narrow-Gauge Railway Route stretches out 39.7 km. With a smooth incline from Girona to Sant Feliu de Guíxols (15 m), its highest point is at Cassà de la Selva (136 m). Following the old narrow-gauge railway line from Girona to Sant Feliu, you can get to know two of Girona's regions - the Gironès and the Baix Empordà - from the Ter River basin, crossing the Selva depression and ending in the Ridaura valley.
- Banvallsleden (~ 150 km/93 miles)
- Sjuhäradsrundan Borås to Ulricehamn(45 km/27 miles)
- Ätradalsleden Falköping to Ambjörnarp (93 km/ 55 miles)
- Addiscombe Railway Park: Addiscombe to Woodside, South London (0.6 miles)
- Alban Way: St Albans to Hatfield, Hertfordshire (7.5 miles)
- Angel Walk: Edmonton, North London (0.2 miles)
- Auckland Way: Spennymoor to Bishop Auckland, Co.Durham (4.3 miles)
- Ayot Greenway: Ayot St Peter to Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire (3 miles)
- Beckton Corridor: Beckton DLR station to Connaught Bridge, East London (0.5 miles)
- Bedford to Sandy: Bedfordshire
- Belmont Trail: Stanmore to Harrow, North West London (2.2 miles)
- Bembridge to Brading: Isle of Wight
- Bermondsey-Stubbs Drive to Surrey Canal Road: South London (0.5 miles approx)
- Bingham Linear Park: Nottinghamshire (2 miles)
- Blackwater Rail Trail: Witham to Maldon, Essex (8 miles)
- Bowes Railway Path: Jarrow to Tanfield Railway Museum, Tyne and Wear (11.5 miles)
- Brampton Valley Way, Northampton to Market Harborough Railway, Northamptonshire (14 miles)
- Brandon to Bishop Auckland Railway Path Broompark to Bishop Auckland, Co.Durham (9 miles)
- Bridport to West Bay: Dorset (approx 1 mile)
- Bristol and Bath Railway Path (13 miles)
- Bubwith Rail Trail: Bubwith to Market Weighton, Yorkshire (8 miles)
- Buckingham Railway Walk: Buckinghamshire (1 mile)
- Bungay: Suffolk (1 mile)
- Bure Valley Railway: Wroxham to Aylsham, Norfolk (9 miles)
- Camel Trail: Padstow to Wenford Bridge, Cornwall (17.3 miles)
- Castle Eden Walkway: Castle Eden to Thorpe Thewles, Co.Durham (9 miles)
- Castleman Trailway: Ringwood to Upton Country Park, Hampshire (16 miles)
- Centurion Way: Chichester to West Dean, West Sussex (5 miles)
- Chedworth Nature Reserve: Cheltenham to Cirencester line, Gloucestershire
- Chippenham to Calne Railway Path: Chippenham to Calne, Wiltshire (6 miles)
- Chiseldon to Marlborough Railway Path, Wiltshire (7.3 miles)
- The Cinder Track: Scarborough to Whitby, North Yorkshire (21 miles)
- The Cloud Trail: Worthington to Chellaston (part of National Cycle Route no. 6) Leicestershire/Derbyshire
- Cole Green Way, Welwyn Garden City to Hertford, Hertfordshire (6 miles)
- Consett and Sunderland Railway Path: Co. Durham (24 miles)
- Cotgrave Country Park: Nottinghamshire (2 miles)
- Cotmanhay Linear Park: Derbyshire (0.4 miles)
- Cowes to Newport: Isle of Wight
- Crab and Winkle Line: part of Canterbury and Whitstable Railway, Kent (8 miles)
- Cuckoo Trail: Hampden Park to Heathfield, East Sussex (14 miles)
- Deerness Valley Way: Broompark to Crook, Co.Durham
- Delph Donkey Trail: Delph to Moorgate, Greater Manchester.
- Derwent Walk: Consett to Swalwell, Co.Durham (12 miles)
- Dousland to Princetown Railway Track: Devon (8 miles)
- Downs Link: Guildford to Steyning and Shoreham-by-Sea, Surrey/West Sussex (36.7 miles)
- Drakes Trail: Plymouth to Tavistock, Devon (21 miles)
- Dyke Railway Trail: Hangleton to Brighton & Hove Golf Club, East Sussex (1.25 miles)
- Ebury Way Cycle Path: Rickmansworth to Watford, Hertfordshire (3.5 miles)
- Eling Way : Hermitage to Hampstead Norreys, Berkshire (2 miles)
- Exmouth to Budleigh Salterton: Devon (4 miles)
- Fallowfield Loop, Fairfield to Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester (8 miles)
- Five Pits Trail: Grassmoor to Tibshelf, Derbyshire (5.5 miles)
- Flitch Way: Bishops Stortford to Braintree, Essex (18 miles)
- Forest Way: East Grinstead to Groombridge, East/West Sussex (10 miles)
- Freshwater to Yarmouth: Isle of Wight
- Garstang and Knot-End Railway: The Fylde, Lancashire (1 mile)
- Gorleston-on-sea: Norfolk (0.5 miles approx.)
- Gosport to Stokes Bay: Hampshire (0.75 miles approx)
- Gosport to Fort Brockhurst: Hampshire (2 miles approx)
- The Granite Way, Okehampton to Lydford, Devon (11 miles)
- The Great Central Walk- Leicester: Braunstone Gate to Glenhills, Leicestershire (4.5 miles)
- The Great Central Walk- Rugby: Rugby to Brownsover, Warwickshire (4.5 miles)
- The Great Eastern Linear Park: Lowestoft, Suffolk (1.5 miles)
- The Great Northern railway Trail Cullingworth to Queensbury in West Yorkshire
- Hadleigh Railway Walk: Hadleigh to Raydon Wood, Suffolk (2 miles)
- Hamble Rail Trail: Hamble to Southampton Water, Hampshire (4.5 miles)
- Harborne Walkway: Birmingham to Harborne, West Midlands (2.4 miles)
- Hart to Haswell Walkway: Monk Hesledon to Hart, Co.Durham.
- Haverhill, Suffolk (1.5 miles)
- Hawthorn to Ryhope Way: Seaton to South Hetton, Co.Durham
- Hayfield to New Mills: Derbyshire (3 miles)
- Hayling Billy Trail: Havant to South Hayling, Hampshire (5 miles)
- Hellingly Hospital Railway, a branch of the Cuckoo Trail
- High Peak: Hurdlow to Cromford, Derbyshire (17 miles)
- Historic Rail Trail, Goathland to Grosmont, along original Whitby and Pickering Railway alignment
- Honeybourne Line Walk: Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire
- Hornsea Rail Trail: Hull to Hornsea, East Yorkshire (26 miles)
- Hudson Way: Market Weighton to Beverley, East Yorkshire (10 miles)
- Hull to Winestead Rail Trail: East Yorkshire (20 miles)
- Hurworth Burn to Station Town Railway Path: Hurworth Burn to Wingate, Co. Durham (1.8 miles)
- Kelloe Way, Kelloe, Co.Durham (1.3 miles)
- Kenilworth Greenway Linear Park, Warwickshire (4 miles)
- Keswick to Threlkeld Railway Path, Cumbria (6 miles)
- Killamarsh to Renishaw part of the Trans Pennine Trail: Derbyshire
- Kirklees Trail: Bury to Greenmount, Lancashire.
- Lakenham Way: Norwich, Norfolk (approx 1 mile)
- Lancaster to Caton: Lancashire (6 miles)
- Lancaster to Morecambe: Lancashire
- Lanchester Valley Railway Path: Durham to Consett, County Durham (12 miles)
- Lavenham to Long Melford railway walk: Suffolk (4.5 miles)
- Ledbury Town Trail: Ledbury, Herefordshire (1.6 miles)
- Leicester to Ratby: Leicestershire
- The Lines Way Garforth to Allerton Bywater, Yorkshire (4 miles)
- Liss to Liss Forest Road: Hampshire (1 mile approx.)
- Longdendale Trail: Hadfield to Woodhead, Derbyshire (6.5 miles)
- Lune Estuary Path: Lancaster to Glasson Dock, Lancashire
- Manifold Way: Hulme End to Waterhouses, Staffordshire (8 miles)
- Marriott's Way: Norwich to Aylsham, Norfolk (25 miles)
- Meon Valley Railway Line: West Meon to Knowle Junction, Hampshire (11 miles)
- Mercian Way: Ironbridge to near Bridgnorth, Shropshire
- Merton Park Green Walks: Merton Park to South Wimbledon (0.1 mile)
- Meltham Greenway: Meltham, Yorkshire (0.8mls)
- Middlewood Way: Macclesfield to Marple, Cheshire (10 miles)
- Millennium Greenway: Mickle Trafford, Chester, Cheshire to Connahs Quay, Flintshire (10 miles)
- Milton Keynes redway system: former Wolverton–Newport Pagnell line, Buckinghamshire
- Mineral Tramway Trails: mid West Cornwall
- Monsal Trail: Topley Pike to Bakewell, Derbyshire (8.5 miles);
- Nailsworth to Stonehouse: Gloucestershire (3 miles)
- Newark Northgate to Bottesford; Nottinghamshire (4.8 miles)
- Newport to Sandown: Isle of Wight
- Newport to Wootton: Isle of Wight
- Nickey line: Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire (8.6 miles)
- Nidderdale Greenway: Harrogate to Ripley, North Yorkshire (4 miles):
- North Dorset Trailway: Spetisbury to Sturminster Newton (14 miles)
- North Liverpool Extension Line: Merseyside
- Offchurch Greenway: Leamington to Rugby, Warwickshire (1.5 miles)
- Padiham Greenway: Lancashire (2 miles)
- Parkend to Cinderford: Gloucestershire
- Parkland Walk: Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace, London (3.1 miles)
- Pegasus Way: Okehampton to Halwill, Devon
- Pentewan Trail: St Austell to Pentewan, Cornwall (8 miles)
- Perry Way: part of Stafford- Wellington line, Shropshire (3 miles)
- Phoenix Trail: Thame, Oxfordshire to Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire (7 miles)
- Pittington Way: Pittington to Hetton-le-hole, Co.Durham (0.9 miles)
- Preston to Bamber Bridge: Lancashire
- Preston to Grimsagh: Lancashire
- Princetown Railway Walk: Princetown to Dousland, Devon
- Raisby Way: Trimdon to Coxhoe, Co.Durham (1.6 miles)
- Radstock to Frome: Somerset
- Ripley Greenway: Ripley, Derbyshire (2 miles)
- Rodwell Trail: Weymouth to Wyke Regis, Dorset (2 miles)
- Roe Green Loop: Roe Green to Monton, Lancashire
- Rowthorne Trail: Bolsover to Pleasley Colliery, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire.
- Sandringham Railway Path: King's Lynn (Tennyson Avenue to A1078), Norfolk (1.7 miles)
- Scarborough & Whitby RailTrail, North Yorkshire
- Sett Valley Trail: Hayfield to New Mills, Derbyshire (2.5 miles)
- Parts of the Severn and Wye Railway: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
- Sewell Cutting Nature Reserve: Stanbridgeford to Dunstable, Bedfordshire (2.2 miles)
- Shanklin to Wroxall: Isle of Wight
- Sherburn Way: Sherburn Hill, Co.Durham (1.4 miles)
- Silkin Way: Malins Lee to Coalport (Ironbridge), Shropshire
- Skegby Trail: Sutton-in-Ashfield to Pleasley Colliery, Nottinghamshire (5 miles)
- Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway: Lancashire
- South Staffordshire Railway Walk: Castlecroft to Wall Heath (5.5 miles)
- South Tyne Trail: Haltwhistle to Alston: Northumberland/Cumbria (13 miles)
- Southwell Trail: Southwell to Bilsthorpe: Nottinghamshire (7.5 miles)
- Spa Trail and Viking Way: Horncastle to Woodhall Spa (4.8 miles)
- Spen Valley Greenway Oakenshaw to Dewsbury, West Yorkshire (7 miles)
- Stockley Trail: Bolsover, Derbyshire (2 miles)
- Stratford Greenway: Stratford-upon-Avon to Long Marston, Warwickshire (4.5 miles)
- Stroud to Dudbridge: Gloucestershire
- Strawberry Line Trail: Yatton railway station to Cheddar, Somerset
- Parts of the Tarka Trail: Braunton to Meeth, North Devon (31 miles)
- Sudbury to Long Melford: Suffolk (3 miles)
- Swindon to Rushey Platt: Wiltshire
- Tees Railway Path: Middleton-in-Teesdale to Cotherstone, Co.Durham (5.5 miles)
- Tenterden-The Old Railway Path: Tenterden to St. Michaels, Kent (approx 1 mile)
- Testway: Stonymarsh to Stockbridge, Hampshire (5 miles)
- Tetbury Trail: Tetbury to Trouble House (2 miles approx.), Gloucestershire
- Teversal Trail: Ashfield to Pleasley Colliery, Nottinghamshire.
- Thornhill Trail: Bamford, Derbyshire (2 miles)
- Tissington Trail: Parsley Hay (High Peak Trail) to Ashbourne, Derbyshire (13 miles)
- Trans Pennine Trail: Hadfield to Stocksbridge, Derbyshire/South Yorkshire
- also Latchford to Broadheath, Cheshire
- Two Tunnels Greenway (3.5 miles & Colliers Way (2.5 miles): Bath to Wellow
- Tyne Riverside Country Park: Newcastle to Wylam (4 miles)
- Varsity Way: Bedford to Sandy, Bedfordshire
- Walker Riverside Park: St.Peters to Carville, Newcastle, Tyne and Wear
- Waskerley Way: Consett to Stanhope, Co.Durham (9.7 miles)
- Water Rail Way: Lincoln to Boston (33 miles)
- Weavers Way: Bengate to Stalham, Norfolk (4.5 miles)
- Weavers Way: North Walsham to Aylsham (4.5 miles)
- West Auckland to Ramshaw: Co.Durham
- West Bridgford Green Line: Nottinghamshire
- Wetherby to Thorp Arch: Yorkshire
- Wetherby to Spofforth: Yorkshire
- Whitehaven to Ennerdale Cyclepath: Cumbria (10 miles)
- Wirral Way: West Kirby, Merseyside to Hooton, Cheshire (13 miles)
- Worth Way: Three Bridges to East Grinstead, West Sussex (7 miles)
- Wray Valley Trail: Moretonhampstead to Bovey, Devon (7 miles)
- Wye Valley Greenway: Chepstow to Tintern, Gloucestershire (5 miles)
- Yeovil Country Park: Yeovil Pen Mill to Hendford, Somerset.(1.5 miles)
- York to Osbaldwick: Yorkshire
- York to Riccall Railway Path: Yorkshire (14 miles)
- The Comber Greenway (7 miles)
- Foyle Valley Cycle Route Derry to Strabane (21 miles)
- Ayr to Greenan: Ayrshire
- Ballachulish to North Connel (sections now National Cycle Route no. 78)
- Corstorphine to Balgreen: Edinburgh
- Dava Way Forres to Grantown-on-Spey (24 miles)
- Deeside Way Aberdeen to Ballater (41 miles)
- Devon Way Dollar to Tillicoultry (3.25 miles)
- Elgin to Lossiemouth
- Formartine and Buchan Way Dyce to Fraserburgh and Peterhead (53 miles)
- Haddington to Longniddry Railway Walk
- Hillend Loch Railway Path (15 miles) Airdrie to Bathgate (14 miles)
- Hopeman to Burghead
- Innocent Railway Edinburgh to Brunstane (81⁄4 miles)
- Old Fordell Train Line Trail: Cowdenbeath (5 miles)
- Paisley & Clyde railway path
- Pencaitland Railway Walk, East Lothian (6.5 miles)
- Rob Roy Way Callander to Killin
- Speyside Way Craigellachie to Grantown-on-Spey (31 miles)
- Strathkelvin Railway Path Gartcosh to Strathblane (6 miles)
- Tweed Valley Railway Path Peebles to Inverleithen (5 miles)
- Water of Leith Walkway Edinburgh to Balerno (5.25 miles)
- Aberaeron Cycle Path (2.8 miles)
- Brunel Trail: Johnston to Neyland
- Bryngwyn to Tryfan Junction: Gwyneth
- Cilgerran to Cardigan
- Clyne Valley Country Park (5 miles)
- Elan Valley Trail Rhayader to Craig Goch Dam (9 miles)
- Lôn Eifion (12 miles)
- Milford Haven (0.5 miles)
- Lôn Las Cymru (National Cycle Route 8)
- Lôn Las Menai (4.0 miles)
- Part of the Lôn Las Ogwen (4 miles)
- Mawddach Trail Morfa Mawddach to Dolgellau (8 miles)
- Prestatyn to Dyserth (2.5 miles)
- Swansea to Gowerton
- Swiss Valley Cycle Route: Llanelli to Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire (10.8 miles)
- Parts of the Taff Trail
- Ystwyth Trail Aberystwyth to Tregaron (21 miles)
- Jersey Railway (3.75 miles)
In planning/under construction
- Wharfedale Greenway: Burley in Wharfedale to Pool in Wharfedale
- The abandoned Mexico City to Cuernavaca line (Linea C), transformed into a "ciclopista" or "ciclovía" (bicycle trail)
Rails trails of significant length in Australia include:
|Munda Biddi Trail||Western Australia||1,060 km (660 mi)||20 km (12 mi) west of Perth (northern end point)||●||●|||
|Great Victorian Rail Trail||Victoria||134 km (83 mi)||110 km (68 mi) north of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Brisbane Valley Rail Trail||Queensland||161 km (100 mi)||70 km (43 mi) west of Brisbane||●||●||●|||
|Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail||Victoria||116 km (72 mi)||250 km (160 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●|||
|East Gippsland Rail Trail||Victoria||94 km (58 mi)||280 km (170 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●|||
|Kilkivan - Kingaroy Rail Trail||Queensland||89 km (55 mi)||225 km (140 mi) northwest of Brisbane||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Railway Reserves Heritage Trail||Western Australia||82 km (51 mi)||19 km (12 mi) east of Perth||●||●||●|||
|Great Southern Rail Trail and Tarra Trail||Victoria||74 km (46 mi)||130 km (81 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●||●|||
|High Country Rail Trail||Victoria||65 km (40 mi)||300 km (190 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Gippsland Plains Rail Trail||Victoria||63 km (39 mi)||190 km (120 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●|||
|Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail||Victoria||57 km (35 mi)||110 km (68 mi) northwest of Melbourne||●||●||●|||
|Mt Garnet to Lappa Junction Rail Trail||Queensland||55 km (34 mi)||190 km (120 mi) southwest of Cairns||●||●||●|||
|Denmark to Nornalup Rail Trail||Western Australia||54.5 km (33.9 mi)||415 km (258 mi) south of Perth||●||●||●|||
|The Reisling and Rattler Trail||South Australia||54 km (34 mi)||130 km (81 mi) north of Adelaide||●||●||●||●||●|||
|O'Keefe Rail Trail||Victoria||50 km (31 mi)||150 km (93 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●|||
|Old Beechy Rail Trail||Victoria||50 km (31 mi)||152 km (94 mi) southwest of Melbourne||●||●|||
Trails similar to rail trails can follow other infrastructure, such as water pipelines.
- C&O Canal towpath
- Long Level on the Erie Canal
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, United States
- http://www.bahntrassenradeln.de/ Railtrails in Germany and the world
- ^ (PDF) Final Draft July, 2006 The Indiana State Trails, Greenways and Bikeways Plan Archived 2007-09-26 at the Wayback Machine at Indiana Trails Plan (DNR)
- ^ Bahntrassenradeln in Österreich
- ^ http://ravel.wallonie.be/opencms/opencms/fr/parcours/itineraires/ravel_2/fiche_0003.html
- ^ "Ligne 160: Bruxelles - Tervuren" (in French and Dutch). Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- ^ http://www.fodsporet.dk/ (in Danish)
- ^ (map with Danish text) Archived 2007-10-05 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Vennbahn
- ^ "Nordbahntrasse".
- ^ "Home". Great Southern Trail. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- ^ "Home". Great Western Greenway. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- ^ Tierney, Declan (4 August 2011). "Old Clifden rail line to be turned into €6m cycle track". Connacht Tribune. Galway. Archived from the original on 13 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- ^ "Redeveloped Rail Track in Dungarvan". 19 January 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- ^ "Tralee to Fenit Cycle and Walkway". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- ^ "Banvallsleden - på cykel". Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- ^ a b c d e "Rail Trails (UK)" (Web). List and details on several trails. LPS marketing. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- ^ "BBC - Devon - new Granite Way cycle route links Okehampton to Lydford".
- ^ Knights, David (22 September 2016). "Cullingworth councillors check out state of Great Northern RailwayTrail following nearby building work". Keighley News. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- ^ "Havant Borough Website - Hayling Billy Trail". Archived from the original on 2007-04-16. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- ^ "Nidderdale Greenway".
- ^ "Spen Valley Greenway".
- ^ http://www.fimevic.df.gob.mx/ciclovia/ciclovia.htm Archived 2014-06-27 at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish only)
- ^ "Munda Biddi Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- ^ "Great Victorian Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Brisbane Valley Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- ^ "Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "East Gippsland Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Kilkivan - Kingaroy Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- ^ Mcgrath, Jessica (28 March 2018). "WHAT'S ON: 20 things to do in the South Burnett this Easter". South Burnett Times. News Corp. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Railway Reserves Heritage Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- ^ "Great Southern Rail Trail and Tarra Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "High Country Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Gippsland Plains Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Mt Garnet to Lappa Junction Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- ^ "Denmark to Nornalup Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- ^ "The Riesling and Rattler Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- ^ "O'Keefe Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- ^ "Old Beechy Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.