List of rail trails
This is a list of rail trails around the world. Rail trails are former railway lines that have been converted to paths designed for pedestrian, bicycle, skating, equestrian, and/or light motorized traffic. Most are multiuse trails offering at least pedestrians and cyclists recreational access and right-of-way to the routes.
- 1 Asia
- 2 Europe
- 2.1 Austria
- 2.2 Belgium
- 2.3 Denmark
- 2.4 Finland
- 2.5 France
- 2.6 Germany
- 2.7 Hungary
- 2.8 Ireland
- 2.9 Luxembourg
- 2.10 Norway
- 2.11 Portugal
- 2.12 Spain
- 2.13 Sweden
- 2.14 United Kingdom
- 3 North America
- 4 Oceania
- 5 Pipeline trails
- 6 Canal trails
- 7 External links
- 8 References
- Parts of , Johor Bahru (Malaysia)-Tanjong Pagar (Singapore) KTM railway, known as the Green Corridor
- Parts of , Thailand-Burma Death Railway
- The Jerusalem Railway Park.
A more complete reference can be found at www.bahntrassenradeln.de.
- Dampfross und Drahtesel on the former de:Stammersdorfer Lokalbahn
- de:Traisentalradweg on the former de:Leobersdorfer Bahn
- Reichraminger Hintergebirgs on former de:Waldbahn Reichraming
- Part of de:Steyrtalradweg follows the former de:Steyrtalbahn
- Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn-Radweg on the former de:Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn between Strobl and St. Gilgen
- de:Salzkammergut-Radweg on the former de:Ischlerbahn and de:Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn from Salzburg to Bad Ischl
- The first 18 kilometers of the de:Feistritztal-Radweg between Ratten and de:Birkfeld on a dismantled part of the de:Feistritztalbahn
- Line 29 from Aarschot to Herentals
- Line 29 north of Turnhout towards the Dutch border
- Line 38 from Liege to Hombourg (Ravel 5)
- Line 62 from Oostende to Torhout
- Part of line 109 from Chimay to Froidchapelle
- Line 142 from Namur to Hoegaarden (Ravel 2)
- Most of Line 160 from Brussels to Tervuren
- Part of line 163A from Sainte-Cécile to Muno
- Fodsporet, 40 km between Slagelse and Næstved via Dalmose plus 12 km between Dalmose and Skælskør in the southeastern part of Sjælland opened 2011
- Himmerlandsstien, 70 km between Viborg and Løgstør in the northern part of Jutland opened 2007 (Danish: da:Himmerlandsstien)
- Naturstien Horsens-Silkeborg Naturetrail, 60 km between Horsens-Silkeborg in the middle of Jutland
- Avenue Verte between St-Aubin-le-Cauf (near Dieppe) and Forges-les-Eaux
- The promenade plantée ("walk with trees") (4.5 km) in the 12th arrondissement of Paris, France; built on the former railway line between Bastille area and the eastern suburbs of Paris (???? - 1969)
- Coulée verte ("green belt") (29 km), on the former railway lines from Amiens and Beauvais (43 km), opened for the traffic between 1874 and 1972 or 1990
- Coulée verte ("green belt") (1 km), on the former transversal railway line (closed in 1979) between the station of Colombes and the station of "Les Vallées" la Garenne-Colombes
- The voie verte ("green way") is a former railway line transformed in bicycle trail in the Vosges; it links Remiremont to Bussang and Remiremont to Cornimont
- Voie verte from Givry to Mâcon
- Voie verte from Mios to Bazas, a former railway line transformed into a bicycle trail (76 km) in the Aquitaine
- The Roger Lapébie bike path runs for 57 km from Bordeaux, through Créon and onto Sauveterre-de-Guyenne.
Germany has 613 rail trails with a total length of 4,400 kilometres (2,700 mi) (as at Sept. 2013). 80 more projects are being planned or under construction. These are some of the longest rail trails in Germany:
- The Bahnradweg Hessen with a total length of 250 kilometres (160 mi) following old tracks of the Vogelsbergbahn, Vogelsberger Südbahn, Biebertalbahn and Ulstertalbahn.
- The Bockl-Radweg in Bavaria with a total length of 45 km on the old track, from Neustadt a.d. Waldnaab to Eslarn
- The Maare-Mosel-Radweg with 39 kilometres (24 mi) on the old rail track
- The Ruwer-Hochwald-Radweg with 44 kilometres (27 mi) on the old rail track
- The Schinderhannes-Radweg with 36 kilometres (22 mi) on the old track of the Hunsrück Railway
- The Vennbahn trail is a cross-border trail between Germany, Belgium und Luxembourg, which follows the route of the former Vennbahn railway line for approximately 130 kilometres (81 mi) from the city of Aachen through the High Fens – Eifel Nature Park and the Ardennes to Troisvierges
- Part of line 11 from Szentkirályszabadja to Balatonalmádi
- Old track of line 25 from Bagod to Zalalövő
- Part of line 49 from Tamási to Pári
In planning/under construction
- Connemara Greenway (under development)
- Deise Greenway (under development), when completed, this rail trail is planned to follow the route of the former Dungarvan to Waterford railway, passing through Stradbally and Kilmacthomas; initial stage at the Dungarvan end has been completed
- Tralee to Fenit Greenway (under development)
- Prince Henri railway in Clemency, converted into a cycle track
- Ecopista do Rio Minho
- Ecovia do Rio Lima
- Ecopista do Tâmega
- Senda del oso, Asturias
- Vía Verde de la Sierra (mountain's rail track), Cádiz and Seville
- Vía Verde de la Sierra de la Demanda, Burgos
- GIRONA - NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY ROUTE I - This 57-km route crosses three regions and twelve towns, following the valleys of the Fluvià, Brugent and Ter rivers. The Narrow-Gauge Railway Route descends smoothly from Olot (440 m) to Girona (70 m).
- GIRONA - NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY ROUTE II - The Narrow-Gauge Railway Route stretches out 39.7 km. With a smooth incline from Girona to Sant Feliu de Guíxols (15 m), its highest point is at Cassà de la Selva (136 m). Following the old narrow-gauge railway line from Girona to Sant Feliu, you can get to know two of Girona´s regions - the Gironès and the Baix Empordà - from the Ter River basin, crossing the Selva depression and ending in the Ridaura valley.
- Banvallsleden (~ 150 km/93 miles)
- Sjuhäradsrundan Borås to Ulricehamn(45 km/27 miles)
- Ätradalsleden Falköping to Ambjörnarp (93 km/ 55 miles)
- Alban Way: St Albans to Hatfield, Hertfordshire (7.5 miles)
- Ayot Greenway: Ayot St Peter to Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire (3 miles)
- Brampton Valley Way, Northampton to Market Harborough Railway, Northamptionshire (14 miles)
- Bristol and Bath Railway Path (15 miles)
- Bure Valley Railway, Wroxham to Aylsham, Norfolk (9 miles)
- Camel Trail: Padstow to Wenford Bridge, Cornwall (17.3 miles)
- Castleman Trailway: Ringwood to Upton Country Park, Hampshire (16 miles)
- Chedworth Nature Reserve: Cheltenham to Cirencester line, Gloucestershire
- Cole Green Way, Welwyn Garden City to Hertford, Hertfordshire (6 miles)
- Crab and Winkle Line: Canterbury and Whitstable Railway, Kent (8 miles)
- Cuckoo Trail: Hampden Park to Heathfield, East Sussex (14 miles)
- Downs Link: Guildford to Steyning and Shoreham-by-Sea, Surrey/West Sussex (36.7 miles)
- Ebury Way Cycle Path: Rickmansworth to Watford, Hertfordshire (3.5 miles)
- Fallowfield Loop, South Manchester (8 miles)
- Five Pits Trail: Grassmoor/Tibshelf, Derbyshire (5.5 miles)
- Forest Way: East Grinstead to Groombridge, West Sussex (10 miles)
- Garstang and Knot-End Railway: The Fylde, Lancashire (1 mile)
- The Granite Way, Okehampton to Lydford, Dartmoor, Devon
- The Great Northern railway Trail Cullingworth to Queensbury in West Yorkshire
- Hamble Rail Trail: Hamble/Southampton Water, Hampshire (4.5 miles)
- Hayling Billy Trail: Havant to South Hayling, Hampshire (10 miles)
- Hellingly Hospital Railway, a branch of the Cuckoo Trail
- High Peak: Hurdlow to Cromford, Derbyshire (17 miles)
- Historic Rail Trail, Goathland to Grosmont, along original Whitby and Pickering Railway alignment
- Hornsea Rail Trail: Hull to Hornsea, East Yorkshire (26 miles)
- Kenilworth Greenway Linear Park, Warwickshire (4 miles)
- Lanchester Valley Railway Path: Durham/Consett, County Durham (12 miles)
- Longdendale Trail: Hadfield/Woodhead, Derbyshire (6.5 miles)
- Manifold Way: Hulme End to Waterhouses, Staffordshire (8 miles)
- Marriott's Way: Norwich to Aylsham, Norfolk (25 miles)
- Meon Valley Railway Line: West Meon to Wickham, Hampshire (11 miles)
- Middlewood Way: Macclesfield to Marple, Cheshire (10 miles)
- Mineral Tramway: mid West Cornwall
- Monsal Trail: Buxton/Bakewell, Derbyshire (8.5 miles)
- Nickey line: Harpenden/Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire (8.6 miles)
- Nidderdale Greenway: Harrogate to Ripley, North Yorkshire (4 miles):
- North Dorset Trailway: Blandford and Sturminster Newton (9 miles)
- North Liverpool Extension Line
- Offchurch Greenway: Leamington to Rugby, Warwickshire (1.5 miles)
- Parkland Walk, Finsbury Park/Alexandra Palace, London (4.5 miles)
- Phoenix Trail: Thame, Oxfordshire to Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire (7 miles)
- Scarborough & Whitby RailTrail, North Yorkshire
- Sett Valley Trail: Hayfield to New Mills, Derbyshire (2.5 miles)
- Parts of the Severn and Wye Railway: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
- Southport and Cheshire Lines Extension Railway:
- Spen Valley Greenway: Oakenshaw to Dewsbury, West Yorkshire (7 miles)
- Strawberry Line, Yatton railway station to Cheddar, Somerset
- Parts of the Tarka Trail: Braunton to Torrington, North Devon
- Testway Stonymarsh to Stockbridge, Hampshire (5 miles)
- Thornhill Trail, Bamford, Derbyshire (2 miles)
- Tissington Trail: Parsely Hay (High Peak Trail to Ashbourne, Derbyshire (13 miles)
- Wirral Country Park, Cheshire
- Worth Way Crawley to East Grinstead, West Sussex (7 miles)
- Deeside Way
- Formartine and Buchan Way (53 miles)
- Hillend Loch Railway Path (15 miles)
- Innocent Railway (8¼ miles)
- Paisley & Clyde railway path
- Strathkelvin Railway Path
- Clyne Valley Country Park (5 miles)
- Lôn Eifion (12 miles)
- Lôn Las Cymru (National Cycle Route 8)
- Lôn Las Menai (4.0 miles)
- Part of the Lôn Las Ogwen (4 miles)
- Mawddach Trail (8 miles)
- Parts of the Taff Trail
- Ystwyth Trail (21 miles)
- Jersey Railway (3.75 miles)
In planning/under construction
- The abandoned Mexico City to Cuernavaca line (Linea C), transformed into a "ciclopista" or "ciclovía" (bicycle trail)
Rails trails of significant length in Australia include:
|Munda Biddi Trail||Western Australia||1,060 km (660 mi)||Perth (northern end poin20 km (12 mi) west of Perth (northern end point)||●||●|||
|Great Victorian Rail Trail||Victoria||134 km (83 mi)||Melbourne110 km (68 mi) north of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Brisbane Valley Rail Trail||Queensland||133 km (83 mi)||Brisbane70 km (43 mi) west of Brisbane||●||●||●|||
|Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail||Victoria||116 km (72 mi)||Melbourne250 km (160 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●|||
|East Gippsland Rail Trail||Victoria||94 km (58 mi)||Melbourne280 km (170 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●|||
|Kilkivan - Kingaroy Rail Trail||Queensland||89 km (55 mi)||Brisbane225 km (140 mi) northwest of Brisbane||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Railway Reserves Heritage Trail||Western Australia||82 km (51 mi)||Perth19 km (12 mi) east of Perth||●||●||●|||
|Great Southern Rail Trail and Tarra Trail||Victoria||74 km (46 mi)||Melbourne130 km (81 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●||●|||
|High Country Rail Trail||Victoria||65 km (40 mi)||Melbourne300 km (190 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●||●||●|||
|Gippsland Plains Rail Trail||Victoria||63 km (39 mi)||Melbourne190 km (120 mi) east of Melbourne||●||●||●||●|||
|Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail||Victoria||57 km (35 mi)||Melbourne110 km (68 mi) northwest of Melbourne||●||●||●|||
|Mt Garnet to Lappa Junction Rail Trail||Queensland||55 km (34 mi)||Cairns190 km (120 mi) southwest of Cairns||●||●||●|||
|Denmark to Nornalup Rail Trail||Western Australia||54.5 km (33.9 mi)||Perth415 km (258 mi) south of Perth||●||●||●|||
|The Reisling and Rattler Trail||South Australia||54 km (34 mi)||Adelaide130 km (81 mi) north of Adelaide||●||●||●||●||●|||
|O'Keefe Rail Trail||Victoria||50 km (31 mi)||Melbourne150 km (93 mi) northeast of Melbourne||●||●||●|||
|Old Beechy Rail Trail||Victoria||50 km (31 mi)||Melbourne152 km (94 mi) southwest of Melbourne||●||●|||
Trails similar to rail trails can follow other infrastructure, such as water pipelines.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rail trails by country.|
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, United States
- http://www.bahntrassenradeln.de/ Railtrails in Germany and the world
- (PDF) Final Draft July, 2006 The Indiana State Trails, Greenways and Bikeways Plan Archived 2007-09-26 at the Wayback Machine. at Indiana Trails Plan (DNR)
- Bahntrassenradeln in Österreich
- "Ligne 160: Bruxelles - Tervuren" (in French and Dutch). Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- http://www.fodsporet.dk/ (in Danish)
- (map with Danish text) Archived 2007-10-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Home". Great Southern Trail. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Home". Great Western Greenway. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- Tierney, Declan (4 August 2011). "Old Clifden rail line to be turned into €6m cycle track". Connacht Tribune. Galway. Archived from the original on 13 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- "Redeveloped Rail Track in Dungarvan". Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Tralee to Fenit Cycle and Walkway". Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Banvallsleden - på cykel". Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "Rail Trails (UK)" (Web). List and details on several trails. LPS marketing. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- Knights, David (22 September 2016). "Cullingworth councillors check out state of Great Northern RailwayTrail following nearby building work". Keighley News. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-04-16. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- http://www.fimevic.df.gob.mx/ciclovia/ciclovia.htm (in Spanish only)
- "Munda Biddi Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Great Victorian Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Brisbane Valley Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Murray to the Mountains Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "East Gippsland Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Kilkivan - Kingaroy Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- Mcgrath, Jessica (28 March 2018). "WHAT'S ON: 20 things to do in the South Burnett this Easter". South Burnett Times. News Corp. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Railway Reserves Heritage Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Great Southern Rail Trail and Tarra Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "High Country Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Gippsland Plains Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Mt Garnet to Lappa Junction Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Denmark to Nornalup Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "The Riesling and Rattler Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "O'Keefe Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Old Beechy Rail Trail - Trail Description". Rail Trails Australia. Retrieved 9 April 2018.