List of rail transport modellers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Notable within the model press
|Name||Scales modelled||Prototypes modelled||Notes|
|John Allen||H0||freelanced Gorre & Daphetid Railroad||Died 6 January 1973|
|John Armstrong||O||freelanced Canandaigua Southern Railroad||Died 28 July 2004|
|Eric Bracher||HOn3, Sn3, On3||Narrow gauge & shortline railroads||Magazine article writer & contributor, NMRA Master Model Railroader #23 (of 500+), founder of Rio Grande Models, Ltd.|
|Frank Ellison||O||freelanced Delta Lines||Died 30 September 1964|
|Cyril Freezer||Mainly OO||Editor of Railway Modeller 1950-1980 and a prolific model railway author. Died 19 May 2009.|
|Nobutaro Hara||1 gauge and others||Worldwide||Part of his extensive private collection, including a 310 sq. metre 1-gauge layout, forms the Hara Model Railway Museum in Yokohama, Japan, died 5 July 2014|
|Al Kalmbach||O||Freelanced Great Gulch, Yahoo Valley & Northern R.R.||First publisher of Model Railroader magazine, died 1981|
|Tony Koester||H0||Nickel Plate Road||Accomplished model railroad author for Kalmbach Publishing and former Editor of Railroad Model Craftsman.|
|W. Allen McClelland||H0||The Virginian and Ohio Railroad|
|E. L. Moore||Mainly HO||Freelanced Elizabeth Valley Railroad and Eagleroost and Koontree Railroad||Prolific contributor of building construction articles to American model railroading magazines between 1955 and 1979.|
|George Sellios||H0||freelanced Franklin and South Manchester Railroad|
|Whit Towers||HO scale||freelanced Alturas and Lone Pine||editor of NMRA Bulletin for many years, died 12 June 1999|
|Linn H. Westcott||Editor of Model Railroader for 16 years from the February 1961 issue to the August 1977 issue. Died 8 September 1980.|
|Name||Occupation||Scales modelled||Prototypes modelled||Notes|
|Peter Alexander||Austrian singer and actor|
|The Rev. W. Awdry||British clergyman and author of The Railway Series.
Creator of Thomas the Tank Engine.
|00 009||Models are preserved at the museum at Tywyn Died 21 March 1997|
|Sebastian Bach||Lead Singer Skidrow||O Scale Collector|
|Jimmy Barnes||Scottish-Australian singer|
|Tim Berners-Lee||British scientist and World Wide Web pioneer.|
|Kurt Biedenkopf||German politician|
|Claude Bolling||French jazz pianist|
|Tom Brokaw||American television journalist|
|Johnny Cash||American singer and songwriter||Made TV commercials and endorsements for Lionel Trains in the 1970s.|
|Winston Churchill||British politician|
|Gary Coleman||American actor||N||Employee of Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Colorado. Layout featured in the September 1990 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman. Also made a railway-related adventure movie called On the Right Track.|
|Phil Collins||British musician and singer|
|Manuel De Peppe||Italian actor singer arranger producer songwriter||O G||He collects Subway and Trolley Models|
|Regis Cordic||American radio personality and actor|
|Bob Costas||American sports journalist|
|Alan Cox||Linux developer||N Z||Also runs his own model kit business|
|Richard Crenna||American actor|
|Roger Daltrey||British musician|
|Anne Diamond||British journalist|
|Joe DiMaggio||American baseball player|
|Walt Disney||American film producer, animator and entrepreneur.||7-1/4" live steam|
|James Doohan||Canadian actor|
|Ed Dougherty||Professional golfer||O||Has a Lionel layout which was featured on an episode of "Tracks Ahead".|
|John Entwistle||British musician|
|Leopold Gratz||Austrian politician|
|Harper Goff||American artist, musician and actor|
|Hermann Göring||German politician and military leader|
|Rick Green||Canadian comedian and writer||Member of a Model Railroad club in Toronto|
|Michael Gross||American actor||N||Model of the Month Award in the March 1992 issue of Model Railroader.|
|Gene Hackman||American actor|
|Merle Haggard||American singer and songwriter|
|Tom Hanks||American actor||Reportedly working on a layout based on a Freelanced Southern Pacific Line|
|David Hasselhoff||American actor||Garden Railroad in G Scale|
|Jools Holland||British musician|
|Josef Hesoun||Austrian politician||G|
|Tommy Hunter||Canadian singer|
|Eddie Izzard||British comedian and actor||OO|
|Elton John||British singer, composer and pianist|
|Ollie Johnston||American animator||5" and full-size live steam|
|Michael Jordan||American basketball player||N Scale||N Scale layout based on the Chicago and North Western|
|Buster Keaton||American actor and film director||S|
|Ward Kimball||American animator||full-size live steam, collector of model railroad equipment|
|Gil Mellé||American artist and musician|
|Vaughn Monroe||American singer and musician|
|Michael Palin||British comedian|
|Mandy Patinkin||American actor||O - Lionel||Noted Lionel collector and operator, his home layout is modeled based on places from his childhood with locations named for family members.|
|Riccardo Patrese||Italian Formula One driver||0 H0||collector Märklin 0 gauge|
|Jim Pattison||Canadian entrepreneur||Purchased Frank Sinatra's Rancho Mirage, California Lionel collection in 1995.|
|Sam Posey||American racecar driver and sports journalist||H0||Colorado Midland Railway||Author of Playing with Trains (ISBN 0812971264) where he describes his involvement in the hobby|
|Sally Jessy Raphael||American television host||Z||Owns Marklin Z scale trains which operate on a layout housed in a briefcase|
|Joe Regalbuto||American actor||G||Layout featured in the March 1993 issue of Model Railroader.|
|Fred Rogers||American television host|
|Jim Scancarelli||American cartoonist|
|Gerhard Schröder||German politician|
|Frank Sinatra||American singer||Lionel and tinplate models||Maintained in Sinatra's train cottage at his home in Rancho Mirage, California. Transferred to Jim Pattison when the cottage and house was sold in 1995.|
|Merv Smith||New Zealand radio presenter||HOn30||Co-wrote the book Little Trains of Thought (Whitcoulls, Christchurch, 1974) about his hobby. After retiring from radio he opened a model shop.|
|Peter Snow||British television presenter|
|Tom Snyder||American television personality|
|Bruce Springsteen||American singer|
|Ringo Starr||Beatles drummer|
|Rod Stewart||British singer||00, H0||Grand Central Terminal, New York City||Layout featured in the December 2007, December 2010 and February 2014 issues of Model Railroader|
|Donald Sutherland||Canadian actor|
|Bob Symes||British television presenter and producer|
|Mel Tormé||American singer|
|Gerhard Tötschinger||Austrian actor, director and writer|
|Pete Waterman||British songwriter and record producer||Also owns full sized locomotives and the model company 'Just Like The Real Thing'. Involved in the building of an 'O' gauge (7mm Scale) layout 'Leamington Spa' as featured in the Railway Modeller, December 2008.|
|Daniël Wayenberg||Dutch pianist and composer|
|Anders Wejryd||Archbishop of Church of Sweden|
|Neil Young||Canadian singer and songwriter||Part owner of Lionel Trains.|
|Frank P. Zeidler||American politician||Foundation member of the National Model Railroad Association.|
- Gomez Addams (The Addams Family) had a Lionel layout. He was noted for setting trains on a collision course, then blowing them up with explosives.
- Bobby Baccalieri (The Sopranos) has a layout in his garage. He is killed in a model-hobby shop.
- Bubbles (Trailer Park Boys)
- Richard Channing (Falcon Crest) had a model railroad in his office.
- Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory) begins model railroading in a prominent subplot of "The Pulled Groin Extrapolation".
- Roy Cropper on Coronation Street is an avid model train collector and railroad history buff.
- Donald Duck in the Disney cartoon short "Out of Scale".
- Ronald "Strike" Dunham (Clockers) has Lionel model trains in his apartment.
- Red Forman (That '70s Show) fights with his brother over their old train set after their mother dies, ultimately ending up with them.
- Joel Goodson (played in Risky Business by Tom Cruise) retreats to his basement during a hectic time in the movie to run a nice postwar, tinplate train layout.
- Dr. Jeffrey Geiger (Chicago Hope), played by real life model railroader Mandy Patinkin.
- Joe Heffernan, Doug's Father on The King of Queens, entered a competition in one episode.
- Steven Keaton (Family Ties), played by real life model railroader Michael Gross.
- Reverend Timothy Lovejoy (The Simpsons) has been portrayed in several episodes running model trains in his basement.
- Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) has a multi-gauge layout in Superman Returns.
- Arthur Mitchell (played by John Lithgow in season 4 of Dexter had O scale model trains.
- Roy Neary (Richard Dreyfuss) has an HO Scale layout under construction in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- John Patterson (For Better or For Worse) has a garden railroad.
- Eric Peterson (The Big Bang Theory) Season 7 ep 16, Valentines Episode - befriends Sheldon as fellow train enthusiast.
- Mary Ellen Rogers (Leave It to Beaver), (Wally's Girlfriend)'s Dad has an American Flyer layout in her basement in one episode.
- Train engineer Tom Stark (Kevin Bacon, in Rails & Ties) has a model railway at home.
- Allan Steiger (Neighbours).
- Wallace and Gromit have a model railway which is central to the plot of The Wrong Trousers.
- Gus Witherspoon (Our House) has a layout in his shed. The last episode Season 2, episode 22 "Artful Dodging" has Mr Kaplan damaging one of Gus' trains.
- Mr X & his archenemy Glowface (The X's) are model train fanatics.
- Konagai, Maaya (22 June 2012). "Model train buff brings out his toys for everyone". The Japan Times. Japan: The Japan Times Ltd. p. 14. ISSN 0289-1956.
- "Bangor Model Train Convention's Keynote Speaker".
- "Answers for young people - Tim Berners-Lee". World Wide Web Consortium. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- NMRA - Why Build a Model Railroad?
- "Profile of Warren Buffett". The New York Times. April 28, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- "Johnny Cash - Other works". IMDB. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- Vincent, Alice (2 July 2013). "Rod Stewart and other famous model train fans". The Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- Reynolds, Nigel (24 October 2007). "Rod Stewart is a model railway enthusiast". The Telegraph. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Table of contents: RMC 9 1990". The Model Train Magazine Index. Kalmbach Publishing/Trains.com. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- Boyes, Roger (2007-02-08). "Sex and violence as life with model trains goes off the rails". The Times. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- "Here goes - the Diamond Railroad!".
- Hermann Göring's Model Railroad
- Carp, Roger (May 2003). "Buster Keaton's Trains". Classic Toy Trains.
- Simon, Bob. "Mandy Patinkin". http://www.cbsnews.com/. 60 Minutes. Retrieved 17 November 2014. External link in
- Celebrity Train Layouts, Part 1 – Frank Sinatra, DVD, TM Books & Video, 2003, 40 minutes. ASIN B0000E3J8F
- "Say, is that the Glacier Express".
- "Model Railroader - March 1993 Contents". Kalmbach Publishing. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- "Peter Snow shows John Humphrys his model railway". BBC. 2010-12-03.
- "Big Bang Theory, Model Trains and Aspergers and Autism", CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Subdivision, Sept, 30, 2011
- disneyshorts.org Archived January 1, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Allan Steiger". Neighbours: The Perfect Blend. Grundy Television Pty. Retrieved 2008-06-27.