List of railway bridges and viaducts in the United Kingdom
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of railway viaducts in the United Kingdom)
- Angarrack viaduct, near Hayle, Cornwall
- Albert Edward Bridge, at Coalbrookdale, Shropshire
- Appleford Railway Bridge, River Thames, Oxfordshire
- Arnside viaduct, River Kent, Cumbria
- Avon Bridge, Bristol
- Avon Viaduct, (aka, Birkhill Viaduct), Scotland - carries the heritage Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway across the Avon River
- Ballochmyle Viaduct over the River Ayr, said to include the largest stone arch
- Barnes Railway Bridge, London
- Balcombe Viaduct aka Ouse Valley Viaduct, Balcombe, West Sussex (some photos online wrongly call this Barcombe).
- Bassaleg Viaduct, Newport, South Wales. Oldest operational railway viaduct in the world, built for the Rumney Railway in 1826.
- Battersea Railway Bridge, London
- Belah Viaduct, Cumbria
- Berywn Viaduct, Denbighshire, North Wales - located above the adjacent River Dee, as well as carrying
the heritage Llangollen Railway across towards Glynyfrydwy.
- Bennerley Viaduct, near Awsworth, Nottinghamshire
- Betley Bridge, West Sussex (disused)
- Bickleigh Viaduct, Bickleigh, Devon (disused)
- Big Water of Fleet Viaduct, Big Water of Fleet, Galloway
- Bittaford Viaduct, near Ivybridge, Devon
- Blackfriars Railway Bridge, London
- Black Potts Railway Bridge, crosses River Thames, Windsor
- Blackwater Viaduct, Chacewater, Cornwall
- Blatchford Viaduct, near Ivybridge, Devon
- Bleach Green Viaduct, near Belfast
- Bolitho Viaduct, Liskeard, Cornwall
- Border Counties Bridge, near Hexham, Northumberland. Ruined, piers only remain.
- Bourne End Railway Bridge, River Thames, Bourne End
- Britannia Bridge, crosses the Menai Strait at Anglesey, North Wales
- Broadbottom Viaduct, on the Derbyshire/Greater Manchester border, crosses the River Etherow
- Broadsands Viaduct, carries the preserved Dartmouth Steam Railway, located between Goodrington Sands and Churston, Devon.
- Brooksbottom Viaduct, carries the heritage East Lancashire Railway across the River Irwell,
in-between Summerseat and Ramsbottom, Greater Manchester/Lanashire.
- Butterley Causeway, Derbyshire - carries the preserved Midland Railway - Butterley across the adjacent Butterley Reservoir
- Burntisland Viaduct
- Bushey Arches on the West Coast Main Line, near Watford, Hertfordshire
- Cadishead Viaduct
- Castor Bridge - A Railway Girder Bridge - located between Wansford and Castor, carrying the preserved Nene Valley Railway
across the River Nene, en-route.
- Calder Grove Viaduct, Calder Grove, Wakefield (disused)
- Calstock Viaduct, Calstock, Cornwall
- Cann Viaduct, Bickleigh, Devon (disused)
- Cannington Viaduct, Uplyme, Devon (disused)
- Cannon Street Railway Bridge, London
- Carbis Bay Viaduct, Carbis Bay, Cornwall
- Carlisle Bridge, Lancaster, carries West Coast Main Line over the River Lune
- Castlefield Viaducts, Manchester
- Cefn Coed Viaduct, Cefn-coed-y-cymmer, Wales
- Chappel Viaduct, Chappel, Essex
- Chacewater Viaduct, Chacewater, Cornwall
- Chelfham Viaduct, Lynton and Barnstaple Railway, Devon
- Chelmsford Viaduct, Chelmsford, Essex
- Chepstow Railway Bridge, Brunel's first lenticular truss
- Chesterfield Viaduct, better known as Horns Bridge in Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Chirk Viaduct, near Chirk, Wales
- Claverton Street Viaduct, Bath, Somerset
- Clifton Viaduct, Clifton, near Manchester
- Conisbrough Viaduct, Conisbrough, South Yorkshire, now carries a branch of the trans-pennine trail 113ft high over the River Don
- Carthuther Viaduct, Liskeard, Cornwall
- Carvedras Viaduct, Truro, Cornwall
- Clinnick Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Coat of Arms Bridge, Coventry
- Cogload Junction Flyover, Durston, Somerset
- Corby Bridge, Wetheral, Cumbria
- Corfe Railway Viaduct, Dorset - carries the Swanage Railway between Corfe Castle and Nordon.
- Coldrennick Viaduct, Menheniot, Cornwall
- Colonnade Viaduct, Dawlish, Devon
- Collegewood Viaduct, Penryn, Cornwall
- Coombe by Saltash Viaduct, Cornwall
- Coombe by St Stephens Viaduct, near St Austell, Cornwall
- Conwy Railway Bridge, Conwy, Wales
- Cox Viaduct, Goonhavern, Cornwall (disused)
- Crumlin Viaduct Crumlin, Caerphilly, Ebbw Valley, Wales
- Craigmore Viaduct, near Newry
- Craigavon Bridge double deck, lower deck former goods line
- Crimple Valley Viaduct, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Culloden Viaduct, near Inverness, Scotland
- Daisyfield Viaduct, near Bury, Greater Manchester
- Dandrymire/Moorecock Viaduct is on the Settle to Carlisle Railway Cumbria
- Darcy Lever viaduct, Bolton, Greater Manchester
- Dargan Bridge, Belfast
- Dee Viaduct, near Cefn, Wales
- Denby Dale Viaduct, Denby Dale, Huddersfield
- Dent Head Viaduct is on the Settle to Carisle Railway Cumbria
- Derrycombe, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Dinting Viaduct, Glossopdale, Derbyshire
- Dollis Brook Viaduct, Finchley, London
- Dowery Dell Viaduct, near Hunnington, Worcestershire, demolished in 1964
- Draw Wood Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Durham Viaduct, Durham
- Dutton Viaduct, over the Weaver Valley in Cheshire
- East Norton Viaduct, Leicestershire (demolished 2001)
- Fal Viaduct, near Truro, Cornwall
- Filleigh Viaduct, On the former GWR line from Barnstaple to Taunton. Pillars still in use for road viaduct on the A361 near Barnstaple, North Devon
- Fledborough Viaduct over the River Trent to the West of Lincoln
- Fiddich Viaduct, located close to Dufftown, Scotland - carries the preserved Keith & Dufftown Railway across the River Isla
- Folkestone Foord Rd railway Viaduct Built by Sir William Cubit 1844 Still in use 2010
- Forder Viaduct, Saltash, Cornwall
- Forth Bridge, over the Firth of Forth near Edinburgh
- Fowey Viaduct, Cornwall - carries the heritage Bodmin & Wenford Railway across the River Fowey, towards Bodmin Genereal
- Fulham Railway Bridge
- Gaunless Bridge, County Durham – first lenticular truss bridge and first iron bridge to carry a railway.
- Gaunless Viaduct, County Durham
- Gatehampton Railway Bridge, Goring, Oxfordshire
- Gilderdale Viaduct, on the Narrow Gauge South Tynedale Railway, Cumbria/Northumberland.
- Giltbrook Viaduct, Giltbrook, Nottinghamshire, (demolished)
- Glaze Viaduct, near Ivybridge, Devon
- Glenfinnan Viaduct, on the West Highland Line, Lochaber, Scotland
- Grosmont Viaduct, carries the heritage North Yorkshire Moors Railway across the Murk Esk, located between Goathland and Grosmont.
- Goitre Coed Viaduct, on the Taff Vale Railway
- Goldielea Viaduct, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland (disused)
- Goonbell Viaduct, Goonbell, Cornwall (disused)
- Gover Viaduct, St Austell, Cornwall
- Gree Viaduct, on the former Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway, North\East Ayrshire, Scotland
- Grosvenor Bridge, near Victoria railway station, London
- Guildford Viaduct, Hayle, Cornwall
- Ham Green Viaduct, Bickleigh, Devon (now part of the Plym Valley Cycle Track)
- Harringworth Viaduct, Northamptonshire (see Welland Viaduct)
- Hayle Viaduct, Hayle, Cornwall
- Headstone Viaduct, Monsal Dale, Derbyshire
- Healey Dell Viaduct, Rochdale, Greater Manchester
- Helmshore Viaduct, River Ogden, Lancashire
- Hewenden Viaduct, Cullingworth, West Yorkshire
- High Level Bridge on the East Coast Main Line across the River Tyne between Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
- Hitchin Flyover on the Great Northern Route in Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- Hookhills Viaduct, carries the preserved Dartmouth Steam Railway, near Churston, Devon.
- Hockley Railway Viaduct, disused viaduct near Winchester, Hampshire.
- Horns Bridge, formally known as Chesterfield Viaduct, in Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- Hungerford Bridge near Charing Cross railway station, London
- Imberhorne Viaduct, West Sussex - now carries the Bluebell Railway northwards into East Grinstead
- Ingleton Viaduct, North Yorkshire
- Irlam Viaduct
John O Gaunt Viaduct, Twyford, Leicestershire
- Keekle Viaduct, River Keekle, Cumbria
- Kendrum Viaduct, Kendrum Burn, Stirling
- Kennington Railway Bridge, River Thames, Oxfordshire
- Kew Railway Bridge
- Keyham Viaduct, Plymouth, Devon.
- Kielder Viaduct, Northumberland. No longer used for rail traffic.
- Kilwinning Caledonian Railway viaduct, north of Kilwinning.
- King Edward VII Bridge, Tyne and Wear, Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead
- King George V Bridge, Keadby, Lincolnshire
- Kingston Railway Bridge, River Thames, Kingston
- Kirkstall Viaduct, Leeds, West Yorkshire - spans the Armley/Kirkstall area, carries the Harrogate Line
across both river and road
- Knucklas Viaduct, Knucklas, Powys
- Lambley Viaduct, Northumberland - once carried the now former Haltwhistle to Alston Branch Line across the valley
of the South Tyne River
- Landore viaduct, Landore, Swansea, Wales
- Langport viaduct, Langport, Somerset
- Largin Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Larpool Viaduct, North Yorkshire, carried Scarborough and Whitby Railway
- Leaderfoot Viaduct, Melrose, Scottish Borders
- Lintley Viaduct, will carry the Narrow Gauge South Tynedale Railway in Cumbria/Northumberland, across and into Slaggyford from 2016-17.
- Lipwood Railway Bridge, Lipwood, Northumberland
- Llandeilo Railway Bridge
- Lobb Ghyll Viaduct, located on the now former Ilkley to Skipton line, between Addingham and Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire, could
one day carry the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway across the nearby River Wharfe
- Logierait Bridge
- London Bridge – Greenwich Railway Viaduct
- London Road viaduct, Brighton
- Longwood Viaduct, Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway, near Kingswear, Devon (demolished)
- Loughor railway viaduct on the West Wales Line. Near Loughor, Swansea, Wales
- Lumb Viaduct, River Irwell, Bury
- Lyne Bridge Chertsey, Surrey
- Magpie Viaduct, South Devon and Tavistock Railway#Horrabridge, Devon (disused)
- Maidenhead Railway Bridge, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Martholme Viaduct, Lancashire (disused)
- Medway Viaducts, over the River Medway in Kent. Consists of 3 bridges, the first was opened in the 1963 and now carries the coastbound M2. The second road bridge was opened in 2003 carrying the London bound M2. At the same time the two track High Speed 1 bridge was built, opening in 2002.
- Meldon Viaduct, Dartmoor Railway, Okehampton, Devon
- Midford Viaduct, nr Bath, formerly Somerset and Dorset Railway, (disused)
- Milltown Viaduct, Lostwithiel, Cornwall
- Milton Viaduct - Ayrshire - Kilmarnock & Troon Railway.
- Milton Regis Viaduct - Kent, A half-mile long former industrial viaduct, now carrying the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway
- Monkwearmouth Railway Bridge, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
- Moorswater Viaduct, Liskeard, Cornwall
- Moulsford Railway Bridge, Moulsford, Oxfordshire
- Mytholmes Viaduct, carries the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway across the River Worth, between Haworth and Oakworth in West Yorkshire.
- Naburn Railway Bridge, York, now a footbridge and cycleway.
- Neidpath Viaduct, Scottish Borders, now a footbridge.
- Newport, South Wales, Great Western Railway Usk bridge
- Newport, St. Julian's railway bridge
- Noss Viaduct, Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway, near Kingswear, Devon (demolished)
- Nottar Viaduct, St Germans, Cornwall
- Nuneham Railway Bridge, River Thames, Oxfordshire
- Oaks viaduct, Dearne Valley, South Yorkshire (demolished}
- Ogden Viaduct, River Ogden, Lancashire
- Oldbury Viaduct (aka, Daniel's Bridge), carries the preserved Severn Valley Railway across the River Severn, in-between Bridgnorth and Eardington.
- Osney Rail Bridge, Oxford
- Ouse Valley Viaduct, Balcombe, West Sussex
- Outwood Viaduct, Radcliffe, Greater Manchester
- Paddock Viaduct, Huddersfield
- Par Viaduct, Par, Cornwall
- Park Square Bridge, Sheffield, South Yorkshire (tramway)
- River Parrett bascule bridge, Bridgwater, Somerset
- Parkhead Viaduct, Dudley, West Midlands
- Pascoe Viaduct, Penryn, Cornwall (demolished)
- Penadlake Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Penistone Viaduct, South Yorkshire
- Penkridge Viaduct, near Penkridge, Staffordshire
- Pennycomequick Viaduct, Plymouth (originally known as Plymouth Loop Viaduct)
- Penponds Viaduct, near Redruth, Cornwall
- Penryn Viaduct, Penryn, Cornwall (demolished)
- Pensford Viaduct, Somerset (disused)
- Penwithers Viaduct, Truro, Cornwall (Falmouth branch - demolished)
- Penwithers Viaduct, Truro, Cornwall (West Cornwall Railway)
- Penzance Viaduct, Penzance, Cornwall (demolished)
- Perran Viaduct, Perranwell, Cornwall
- Pontsmill Viaduct, near Luxulyan, Cornwall
- Pont-y-Cafnau, first iron bridge to carry a plateway
- Probus Viaduct, near Truro, Cornwall (demolished)
- Rectory Junction Viaduct, Radcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire
- Redruth Viaduct, Redruth, Cornwall
- Reedham Swing Bridge, carries Wherry railway line across the River Yare
- Richmond Railway Bridge
- Ribblehead Viaduct on the Settle-Carlisle Railway in the Yorkshire Dales
- Ridley Railway Bridge, near Ridley Hall, Northumberland
- Ringwell Viaduct, Perranwell, Cornwall
- Rispin Cleugh Viaduct on the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch of the Caledonian Railway
- River Irwell Railway bridge, by George Stephenson at Liverpool Road Station, Manchester
- Riverford Viaduct, Bickleigh, Devon (disused)
- Rochester Bridge - Built by SER over the River Medway, now used by Chatham Main Line and North Kent Line services.
- Rockmill Viaduct, near Luxulyan, Cornwall
- Rowsley Viaduct located at Rowsley, Derbyshire, could one day carry the heritage railway (by the name of Peak Rail) across both the nearby road and river, towards Bakewell.
- Royal Albert Bridge, railway bridge across the River Tamar from Plymouth to Saltash
- Royal Border Bridge on the East Coast Main Line across the River Tweed at Berwick upon Tweed, north Northumberland
- Runcorn Gap viaduct, on Runcorn to Liverpool Line, provides approaches to Runcorn Bridge either side of the River Mersey
- Runcorn Railway Bridge
- Sankey Viaduct, near Earlestown, Merseyside
- Scarborough Railway Bridge, York
- Scotswood Railway Bridge, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. (Disused).
- Sheffield District Railway Bridge, Brightside
- Shepton Mallet Viaduct, Shepton Mallet, Somerset (Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway, disused).
- Shillamill Viaduct, Tavistock, Devon
- Shiplake Railway Bridge, River Thames, Berkshire
- Six arches, Ackworth, Moor top Ackworth
- St Austell Viaduct, St Austell, Cornwall
- St Germans Viaduct, St Germans, Cornwall
- St. Julian's railway bridge, Newport
- St Pinnock Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- St Thomas Viaduct, Exeter, Devon
- Slade Viaduct, near Ivybridge, Devon
- Somerleyton Swing Bridge, Somerleyton, Norfolk
- Somerset Bridge, Bridgwater, Somerset
- Somerton Viaduct, near Somerton, Somerset
- Smugglers Lane Viaduct, near Teignmouth, Devon
- South Tyne Viaduct, on the Narrow Gauge South Tynedale Railway, Cumbria/Northumberland.
- Southdown Road Skew Bridge, carries Midland Main Line across Southdown Road in Harpenden, Hertfordshire
- Staines Railway Bridge, River Thames, Staines
- Stambermill Viaduct, Stourbridge, West Midlands
- Stanford Viaduct, (aka Loughborough Viaduct) carries the preserved Great Central Railway (Nottingham) across the River Soar
in South Nottinghamshire/North-West Leicestershire.
- Stanway Viaduct, carries the heritage Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway between Toddington and Laverton.
- Stockport Viaduct, Stockport, Greater Manchester
- Stonehouse Pool Viaduct, Plymouth, Devon (demolished)
- Swin Bridge, County Durham – first skew arch bridge to carry a railway
- Swithland Viaduct, carries the preserved Great Central Railway across Swithland Reservoir, Near Rothley, Leicestershire.
- Tadcaster Viaduct, North Yorkshire (never used)
- Tavy Bridge, Saltash, Devon
- Tay Rail Bridge over the Firth of Tay near Dundee
- Telescopic Bridge, Bridgwater over the River Parrett (now footbridge)
- Thomason Foss Viaduct, (aka, Goathland Viaduct) - carries the North Yorkshire Moors Railway across a nearby stream, towards Goathland
- Thornton Viaduct, West Yorkshire
- Treffry Viaduct, Luxulyan, Cornwall (disused)
- Tregarn Viaduct, near Truro, Cornwall
- Tregeagle Viaduct, near Truro, Cornwall
- Trenance Viaduct, Newquay, Cornwall
- Trent Viaducts, between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire
- Tresulgan Viaduct, Menheniot, Cornwall
- Trevido Viaduct, Menheniot, Cornwall
- Trowse Bridge, Norwich, Norfolk
- Truro Viaduct, Truro, Cornwall
- Twerton Viaduct, Bath, Somerset
- Vazon Sliding Railway Bridge. Carries the railway over the Stainforth and Keadby Canal near Keadby, Lincolnshire.
- Victoria Viaduct, over the River Wear on the former Durham Junction Railway.
- Victoria Bridge, carries the Severn Valley Railway over the river near Arley in Worcestershire.
- Walkham Viaduct South Devon and Tavistock Railway#Horrabridge, Devon (disused)
- Warden Railway Bridge, Warden, Northumberland
- Warmsworth Viaduct, Doncaster
- Waterhead Viaduct, Paignton and Dartmouth Steam Railway, near Kingswear, Devon (also known as Hoodown Viaduct)
- Watford Arches on the Watford DC Line, Watford, Hertfordshire
- Weaver Viaduct on the Cheshire Lines committee line between Frodsham and Runcorn, crossing the River Weaver, Cheshire.
- Welland Viaduct crosses the valley of the River Welland between Northamptonshire and Rutland.
- Welwyn Viaduct on the East Coast Main Line, to the north of Welwyn Garden City, in Hertfordshire
- West Largin Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Weston Mill Viaduct, Plymouth, Devon
- Westwood Viaduct, near Bodmin Parkway, Cornwall
- Whalley Viaduct, Ribble Valley, Lancashire
- Wharncliffe Viaduct, Hanwell, West London
- Wheatley Viaduct, Halifax High Level Railway, Wheatley Valley, Halifax, West Yorkshire
- Whitley Viaduct, on the Narrow Gauge South Tynedale Railway, Cumbria/Northumberland.
- Wicker Arches, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Windsor Railway Bridge, over the River Thames at Windsor, Berkshire
- Windsor Branch viaduct, near Windsor, Berkshire
- Winterbourne Viaduct, Winterbourne, South Gloucestershire
- Wivelscombe Viaduct, near Saltash, Cornwall
- Wylam Railway Bridge, North Wylam, Northumberland. (Now footbridge)