List of recombinant proteins
The following is a list of notable proteins that are generated from recombinant DNA, using biomolecular engineering, focusing on those that are used in human and veterinary medicine. In many cases, recombinant human proteins have replaced the original animal-derived version used in medicine. The prefix "rh" for "recombinant human" appears less and less in the literature.
A much larger number of recombinant proteins is used in the research laboratory. These include both commercially available proteins (for example most of the enzymes used in the molecular biology laboratory), and those that are generated in the course specific research projects.
Human recombinants that largely replaced animal or harvested from human types
- Human growth hormone (rHGH): Humatrope from Lilly and Serostim from Serono replaced cadaver harvested human growth hormone
- human insulin (BHI): Humulin from Lilly and Novolin from Novo Nordisk among others largely replaced bovine and porcine insulin for human therapy. Some prefer to continue using the animal-sourced preparations, as there is some evidence that synthetic insulin varieties are more likely to induce hypoglycemia unawareness. Remaining manufacturers of highly purified animal-sourced insulin include the U.K.'s Wockhardt Ltd. (headquartered in India), Argentina's Laboratorios Beta S.A., and China's Wanbang Biopharma Co.
- Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) as a recombinant gonadotropin preparation replaced Serono's Pergonal which was previously isolated from post-menopausal female urine
- Factor VIII: Kogenate from Bayer replaced blood harvested factor VIII
Human recombinants with recombination as only source
- Erythropoietin (EPO): Epogen from Amgen
- Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF): filgrastim sold as Neupogen from Amgen; pegfilgrastim sold as Neulasta
- alpha-galactosidase A: Fabrazyme by Genzyme
- alpha-L-iduronidase: (rhIDU; laronidase) Aldurazyme by BioMarin Pharmaceutical and Genzyme
- N-acetylgalactosamine-4-sulfatase (rhASB; galsulfase): Naglazyme by BioMarin Pharmaceutical
- Dornase alfa, a DNase sold under the trade name Pulmozyme by Genentech
- Tissue plasminogen activator (TPA) Activase by Genentech
- Glucocerebrosidase: Ceredase by Genzyme
- Interferon (IF) Interferon-beta-1a: Avonex from Biogen Idec; Rebif from Serono; Interferon beta-1b as Betaseron from Schering
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1)
- Rasburicase, a Urate Oxidase analog sold as Elitek from Sanofi
- Envelope protein of the hepatitis B virus marketed as Engerix-B by SmithKline Beecham
- HPV Vaccine proteins