List of reconnaissance units
The following is a list, albeit incomplete, of reconnaissance units from around the world. This list concentrates on ground units, but includes a few air force units.
- Bataillon ISTAR
- ACOS IS
- SF Gp
- The 'd' company.
- General service unit Recce company.
- The Royal Canadian Dragoons (Armoured Reconnaissance)
- (12e Régiment blindé du Canada) Recce Squadron
- Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) Recce Squadron
- (3rd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment) (Peloton Fantassin de Reconnaissance)
- (3rd Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment) Infantry Recce Platoon
- (2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) Infantry Recce Platoon
- 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Recon Platoon
- 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry recon Platoon
- Royal Guard Hussars
- 3rd Recce Battalions
- 1st Light Recce Squadron
- 2nd Light Recce Squadron
- 13th Parachute Dragoon Regiment, a regiment of the French Army Special Forces Brigade its primary mission is long range reconnaissance.
- 2nd Hussard Regiment, a regiment of the brigade de Renseignement intel brigade; It performs similar missions to the benefit of local units.
Naval Commando "De Penfentenyo": specialized in reco
- Fernspählehrkompanie 200
- Kommando Spezialkräfte
- Taktisches Luftwaffengeschwader 51 (Luftwaffe tactical reconnaissance wing, formerly designated as Aufklärungsgeschwader 51)
- ETA and Z' MAK of the Hellenic Army's 1st Raider/Paratrooper Brigade (LRRP and amphibious reconnaissance, respectively)
Indian Air Force
- Group Sandhi Yudha (Sandha) Komando Pasukan Khusus (Kopassus) TNI-AD
- Detasemen Operasi Khusus (Den 2) Komando Pasukan Katak (Kopaska) TNI-AL
- Batalyon Intai Amfibi (Yontaifib) Korps Marinir, formerly Kompi Intai Para Amfibi Korps Komando Operasi (Kipam KKO)
- Kompi Kavaleri Intai (Kikavtai) Korps Kavaleri TNI-AD.
The words "sandhi yudha" (Sanskrit) = combat intelligence, "intai" (Bahasa Indonesia) = reconnaissance, "operasi khusus" (Bahasa Indonesia) = special operation.
- Kompi Intai Tempur (Kitaipur), formerly Peleton Intai Tempur (Tontaipur), Batalyon Intelijen Kostrad TNI-AD.
In the year 2001, Indonesian army (TNI-AD)'s Kostrad established Tontaipur, which is basically infantry soldiers specially trained to mimic the capability of marine's Yontaifib. The special trainings are conducted by Kopassus and Indonesian navy (TNI-AL)'s frogmen (Kopaska). The sailors teach the soldiers how to combat swim, operate boat, do beach reconnaissance and other seamen capabilities.
Whereas army's Kopassus already has the similar capabilities with marine's Yontaifib, Kostrad need Tontaipur since it doesn't have authority to use Kopassus personnel at will. Kitaipur/Tontaipur personnels are recruited from infantry units under Kostrad only, probably from 305th Para Raider Battalion and 303th, 323th, 509th & 514th Raider Battalions. The words "intai tempur" (Bahasa Indonesia) = combat reconnaissance.
Batalyon Intelijen Kostrad headquartered at Lenteng Agung, Jakarta Selatan.
Kostrad is a sub-organization within army which is Corps level command, similar with Korps Marinir in both organizational structure and strength (Kostrad has 2 divisions, the same with Korps Marinir, despite Korps Marinir choose to use the word "pasukan" or force instead of division). The main difference of the two is their main "core competence", obviously Korps Marinir excel in amphibious operation while Kostrad rely on airborne operation. Both troops have fought in most Indonesian military operations since their formation, including operations beyond Indonesia's borders. Kostrad and Korps Marinir compete for reputation which is good for improving both performance.
Whereas Kostrad has top notch paratroopers (including 6 para raider battalions), it doesn't have authority to use Kopassus personnel at will to match Korps Marinir reconnaissance capability with its Yontaifib. Hence, in the year 2001, Kostrad's Commander Lieutenant General Ryamizard Ryacudu developed Tontaipur with special combat intelligence training from Kopassus and navy's frogmen, Kopaska. Thanks to the sailors, the paratroopers can now be master in operating in trimedia (trimatra): sea-air-land and become Taipur.
- 42 BVE, 43 BVE (brigade reconnaissance squadrons)
- 103 GGVE, 104 GGVE (Ground Based Recce Squadrons), 103 ISTAR Battalion
- Pathfinders (Airmobile)
- Korps Commando Troepen
- Mountain Leader Reconnaissance Platoon, Korps Mariniers ("Dutch Marines")
- Companhia de Precursores Aeroterrestres
- Destacamento de Acções Especiais
- Grupo de Operações Especiais
- Operações Especiais aka Rangers
- Federal Security Service "FSB"
- Armed Forces of the Russian Federation
- Spetsnaz GRU: 2nd,3nd,10nd,14nd,16nd,24nd,25nd Spetsnaz Brigade (obrSpN)
- 45th Detached Reconnaissance Regiment Specnaz VDV (orpSpN)
- Russian commando frogmen:42nd,420nd,431nd,561nd Naval Reconnaissance Spetsnaz Point (omrpSpN)
- Voennaa Razvedka(Razvedchiki Scouts) "Military intelligence" personnel/units within larger formations in ground troops, airborne troops and marines. Intelligence battalion in the division, reconnaissance company in the brigade, a reconnaissance platoon in the regiment. The level of training that the same Spetsnaz GRU but not controlled by the GRU, mascot bat.
- Republic of Korea Army
- 1st Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (Marching)
- 3rd Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (White Skeleton)
- 5th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (keys)
- 6th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (Blue Stars)
- 7th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (seven stars)
- 12th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (Eulji)
- 15th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (victory)
- 22nd Infantry division reconnaissance Battalion (Gold Dragon)
- 25th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (Biryong)
- 28th Infantry division, Reconnaissance Battalion (Storm)
- Republic of Korean Marine Corps
- 1st Marine division, 1st Recon Battailion (Green Beret 1)
- 2nd Marine division, 2nd Recon Battailion (Green Beret 2)
- Livregementets husarer (Life hussars regiment), 32. intelligence battalion (ISTAR)
- Norrlands dragonregemente (I19), Army Ranger Battalion
- Swedish Amphibious Corps (Amf1), Coastal Ranger company
- Swedish Air Force, Swedish Air Force Rangers
- Swedish Homeguard (Hemvärnet), Home Guard reconnaissance companies
- British Army
- Formation reconnaissance regiments
- Royal Yeomanry
- 4/73 (Sphinx) Special Observation Post Battery RA
- Honourable Artillery Company
- Pathfinder Platoon, 16 Air Assault Brigade
- Special Air Service
- Special Reconnaissance Regiment
- Royal Navy
- Royal Air Force
United States Army
- Army Cavalry Scouts
- United States Army Special Operations Command
- U.S. Army Infantrymen Long Range Surveillance
- U.S. Army Infantry Battalion Reconnaissance Platoons
- U.S. Army Field Artillery Advance Party Teams
United States Marine Corps
(MOS 0321 Reconnaissance Man)
- United States Marine Corps Special Operations Command (MARSOC)
- United States Marine Corps Field Artillery Advance Party Teams
United States Air Force
United States Navy
General Staff of the Vietnam People's Army
- Vietnam Military Reconnaissance 
- Spetsnaz:Russia's Special Forces by Mark Galeotti