List of relocated National Basketball Association teams
The National Basketball Association (NBA) is a professional men's basketball league, consisting of 30 teams in North America—29 in the United States and one in Canada. The NBA was founded in New York City on June 6, 1946, as the Basketball Association of America (BAA). It adopted the name National Basketball Association at the start of the 1949–50 season when it absorbed the National Basketball League (NBL). The NBA is an active member of USA Basketball, which is recognized by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) as the national governing body for basketball in the country. The league is considered to be one of the four major professional sports leagues of North America.
The list contains current franchises in the NBA. It does not include name changes.
|First||First year in original city|
|Last||Last year in original city|
|PA||NBA Playoffs appearances|
|^||City later received a new franchise|
|*||Later relocated again|
- Goldaper, Sam (17 April 2006). "Nov. 1, 1946: New York vs. Toronto — The First Game". National Basketball Association. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Inside USA Basketball". USA Basketball. Retrieved 4 July 2009.
- Pennington, Bill (4 April 2003). "Drugs; Anti-Doping Executive Plans to Prod Pro Leagues". The New York Times. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Team Index". Sport Reference. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "History of the Lakers". Los Angeles Lakers. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Owners, fans waited years before Rockets took off". Houston Chronicle. September 16, 2001. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- Beamish, Mike (February 19, 2011). "NBA dreams rekindled, 10 years after Grizzlies' demise". The Vancouver Sun. Archived from the original on February 23, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Hornets to Play in Oklahoma City". New Orleans Hornets. September 21, 2005. Retrieved September 21, 2005.
- Smith, Jimmy (September 21, 2005). "The buzz is Oklahoma City – Hornets will play 35 games there, six at the PMAC". New Orleans Times-Picayune. p. C5.
- JERÉ LONGMAN (November 1, 2007). "Putting the New Orleans in the New Orleans Hornets". The New York Times. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- Jim Brunner; Sharon Pian Chan (July 2, 2008). "Sonics, city reach settlement". Seattle Times. Retrieved May 11, 2015.