List of rural and urban districts in Northern Ireland
The urban districts and rural districts of Northern Ireland had their origin in 1899, when the Local Government (Ireland) Act 1898 came into effect. They were based on the system of district councils introduced in England and Wales four years earlier.
With the creation of Northern Ireland in 1921, it received six of Ireland's thirty-three administrative counties, each subdivided into a number of urban and rural districts, plus the county boroughs of Belfast and Derry which were administered outside the counties.
In 1921 the number of rural districts was reduced by amalgamation.
Each district was divided into a number of District Electoral Divisions.
See List of Irish Local Government Areas 1900 - 1921 for a historic list of districts in all of Ireland.
Urban District Councils could petition for a charter of incorporation, designating the urban district a Borough. The first of these was Bangor in 1927, followed by Coleraine in 1928, Ballymena and Newtownards in 1937, Larne in 1938, Portadown in 1947, Carrickfergus, Enniskillen and Lurgan in 1949, with Lisburn being the last in 1964.
Local government reform
The Local Government Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 replaced the existing system of county boroughs, administrative counties, urban districts and rural districts with 26 local government districts. The new system came into effect on 1 October 1973.
Urban and Rural Districts in Northern Ireland, 1973
|Antrim Rural District||Antrim, Belfast City Council, Newtownabbey|
|Ballycastle Rural District||Moyle|
|Ballycastle Urban District||Moyle|
|Ballyclare Urban District||Newtownabbey|
|Ballymena Rural District||Antrim, Ballymena|
|Ballymoney Urban District||Ballymoney|
|Ballymoney Rural District||Ballymoney, Coleraine, Moyle|
|Larne Rural District||Belfast, Carrickfergus, Larne, Newtownabbey|
|Lisburn Rural District||Lisburn|
|Portrush Urban District||Coleraine|
|Newtownabbey Urban District (formerly Belfast No.1 Rural District)||Belfast, Newtownabbey|
|Whitehead Urban District||Carrickfergus|
|Armagh Rural District||Armagh, Dungannon|
|Armagh Urban District||Armagh|
|Keady Urban District||Armagh|
|Lurgan Rural District||Armagh, Craigavon|
|Newry No. 2 Rural District||Armagh, Newry and Mourne|
|Tandragee Rural District||Armagh|
|Tandragee Urban District||Armagh|
|Enniskillen Borough †||Fermanagh|
|Enniskillen Rural District †||Fermanagh|
|Irvinestown Rural District †||Fermanagh|
|Lisnakea Rural District †||Fermanagh|
† All district councils in Fermanagh were abolished in 1968, creating a unitary county council.
|Coleraine Rural District||Coleraine|
|Limavady Rural District||Limavady|
|Limavady Urban District||Limavady|
|Londonderry Rural District‡||Derry†|
|Magherafelt Rural District||Cookstown, Magherafelt|
|Portstewart Urban District||Coleraine|
‡ The Rural District Council was abolished in 1969, with the Londonderry Development Commission taking over municipal functions.
† The District was known as Londonderry until 1984.
|Castlederg Rural District||Strabane|
|Clogher Rural District||Dungannon, Omagh|
|Cookstown Rural District||Cookstown|
|Cookstown Urban District||Cookstown|
|Dungannon Rural District||Dungannon|
|Dungannon Urban District||Dungannon|
|Omagh Rural District||Omagh, Strabane|
|Omagh Urban District||Omagh|
|Strabane Rural District||Strabane|
|Strabane Urban District||Strabane|
- Local Government (Boundaries) Act (Northern Ireland) 1971, (Eliz II 19 & 20 c.9)
- Local Government Act (Northern Ireland) 1972 (Eliz II 20 & 21 c.9)
- Local Government (Boundaries) Order (Northern Ireland) 1972 (S.R. & O. 1972, No. 131).
- The Belfast Gazette
- Larne Borough Guide, undated
- Omagh District Guide, undated
- Strabane District Official Guide, c 1989
- Northern Ireland census
- "North-east sheet". Boundaries of Administrative Counties, Co. Boroughs, Urban & Dispensary Districts & District Electoral Divisions. Ordnance Survey Ireland. 1961 . Retrieved 8 February 2012. Check date values in:
- A list of its District Electoral Divisions, and the townlands comprising each, is in The Belfast Gazette Publication date:22 June 1923 Issue:104 Page:241
- Belfast Gazette, No 155, P 836, 13 June 1924
- Belfast Gazette, No 787, P 274, 24 July 1936
- Belfast and Northern Ireland Directory, 1973, P1387
- Belfast and Northern Ireland Directory, 1973, P1267