List of school divisions in Virginia
About school divisions
The public K-12 schools in Virginia are generally not operated directly by the state government. Instead, most are organized as political subdivisions known as "school divisions" which are similar to school districts in some other states.
Each public school division is associated with one or more of the counties, independent cities and incorporated towns in Virginia, with major portions of their funding (and in many instances other services) provided through those local entities.
Each School Division is overseen by a School Board, whose members are either appointed by the elected officials of the participating local entities or by public elections in some communities. A Superintendent of Schools (Division Superintendent) is customarily the highest-ranking employee of a school division.
All listings are for city or county school divisions, except:
- The Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, jointly administered by the City of Williamsburg and James City County, and
- The Colonial Beach and West Point school divisions, which are respectively associated with the incorporated towns of Colonial Beach and West Point.
- List of school divisions from the Virginia Department of Education
- List of school districts from GreatSchools.net
- Commonwealth of Virginia Board of Education