List of schools in Nelson, New Zealand
Nelson is a city and unitary authority in the South Island of New Zealand. It contains several city schools.
State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they like state schools cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students.
The socioeconomic decile indicates the socioeconomic status of the school's catchment area. A decile of 1 indicates the school draws from a poor area; a decile of 10 indicates the school draws from a well-off area. The decile ratings used here come from the Ministry of Education Te Kete Ipurangi website and from the decile change spreadsheet listed in the references. The deciles of all schools were last revised using information from the 2006 Census, and may occasionally change for some schools between Censuses as schools open, close and merge. The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education are based on figures from July 2016. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Te Kete Ipurangi page for each school.
|Auckland Point School||1–8||Coed||Nelson||State||5||79||||3181|
|Clifton Terrace School||1–6||Coed||Nelson||State||8||312||-||3187|
|Enner Glynn School||1–6||Coed||Stoke||State||7||304||||3189|
|Garin College||9–13||Coed||Saxton||State integrated||8||492||||6975|
|Hampden Street School||1–6||Coed||Nelson||State||7||483||||3193|
|Nayland Primary School||1–6||Coed||Stoke||State||7||395||||3208|
|Nelson Central School||1–6||Coed||Nelson||State||7||439||||3209|
|Nelson Christian Academy||1–8||Coed||Stoke||State integrated||7||199||-||1148|
|Nelson College Preparatory School||7–8||Boys||Nelson||Private||9||114||||4122|
|Nelson College for Girls||9–13||Girls||Nelson||State||7||1112||||295|
|Nelson College for Girls Preparatory School||7–8||Girls||Nelson||Private||9||83||||4121|
|Nelson Intermediate School||7–8||Coed||Nelson||State||6||408||||3210|
|Nelson Teen Parent Unit||–||–||Nelson||State||1||670|
|St Josephs School||1–8||Coed||Nelson||State integrated||8||338||||3221|
|Victory Primary School||1–6||Coed||Nelson||State||3||356||||3231|
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Retrieved 2006-06-23.[dead link]
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on December 6, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "How The Decile Is Calculated". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Reviews of Deciles - General Information". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 2 August 2016". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2016-08-16.
- Hoby, Katherine (4 October 2005). "Founders School Set to Close". The Nelson Mail. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- Hartevelt, John (8 July 2009). "Minister defends funding". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 2009-10-26.