List of schools in the Wellington Region
The Wellington Region is a region covering the southern tip of the North Island of New Zealand. The region includes the capital city, Wellington and the cities of Porirua, Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt which together make up the Wellington metro area, as well as the surrounding rural area, the Kapiti Coast to the north, and the Wairarapa region to the northeast. It contains a few small rural primary schools, some small town primary and secondary schools, and a large number of city schools.
State schools are those fully funded by the government and at which no fees for tuition of domestic students (i.e. New Zealand citizens and permanent residents, and Australian citizens) can be charged, although a donation is commonly requested. A state-integrated school is a former private school with a special character based on a religious or philosophical belief that has been integrated into the state system. State integrated schools charge "attendance dues" to cover the building and maintenance of school buildings, which are not owned by the government, but otherwise they, like state schools, cannot charge fees for tuition of domestic students but may request a donation. Private schools charge fees to its students for tuition, as do state and state integrated schools for tuition of international students.
The roll of each school changes frequently as students start school for the first time, move between schools, and graduate. The rolls given here are those provided by the Ministry of Education, and are based on figures from July 2017. The Ministry of Education institution number links to the Te Kete Ipurangi page for each school.
- 1 Primary and intermediate schools
- 2 Secondary and composite schools
- 3 Special schools
- 4 Closed schools
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
Primary and intermediate schools
Unless otherwise stated, all primary and intermediate schools in the Wellington Region are coeducational.
Kapiti Coast District
|Kenakena School||2878||1–8||Paraparaumu Beach||State||542|||
|Paraparaumu Beach School||2948||1–8||Paraparaumu Beach||State||629|||
|Raumati Beach School||2974||1–8||Raumati Beach||State||659|||
|Raumati South School||2975||1–8||Raumati South||State||437|||
|St Patrick's School||3017||1–8||Paraparaumu||Integrated||141||||Catholic|
|St Peter Chanel School||3020||1–8||Otaki||Integrated||27||–|
|Te Horo School||3038||1–6||Te Horo||State||240|||
|Te Ra School||1613||1–8||Raumati South||Integrated||176|||
|Brandon Intermediate||2814||7–8||Cannons Creek||State||143|||
|Cannons Creek School||2818||1–6||Porirua East||State||168|||
|Corinna School||2828||1–8||Porirua East||State||225|||
|Glenview School||2847||1–6||Porirua East||State||70|||
|Holy Family School||2859||1–6||Cannons Creek||Integrated||191||||Catholic|
|Maraeroa School||2903||1–6||Porirua East||State||122|||
|Natone Park School||2923||1–6||Waitangirua||State||92|||
|Ngati Toa School||2928||1–6||Titahi Bay||State||169|||
|Porirua East School||2963||1–6||Porirua East||State||136|||
|Pukerua Bay School||2967||1–8||Pukerua Bay||State||169|||
|Rangikura School||2970||1–8||Ascot Park||State||419|||
|Russell School||2983||1–6||Cannons Creek||State||125|||
|St Pius X School||3022||1–6||Titahi Bay||Integrated||91|||
|St Theresa's School||3025||1–6||Plimmerton||Integrated||196||||Catholic|
|Te Kura Maori O Porirua||1634||1–8||Waitangirua||State||272|||
|Titahi Bay Intermediate||3043||7–8||Titahi Bay||State||123|||
|Titahi Bay North School||3044||1–8||Titahi Bay||State||115|||
|Titahi Bay School||3045||1–6||Titahi Bay||State||435|||
|Wellington Seventh-day Adventist School||4150||1–8||Porirua||Integrated||59||||Seventh-day Adventist|
|Windley School||3074||1–8||Porirua East||State||336|||
Upper Hutt City
|Fraser Crescent School||2844||1–6||Upper Hutt||State||257|||
|Maidstone Intermediate||2893||7–8||Upper Hutt||State||481|||
|Mangaroa School||2899||1–6||Upper Hutt||State||109|||
|Oxford Crescent School||2943||1–6||Upper Hutt||State||290|||
|Plateau School||2959||1–6||Te Marua||State||168|||
|St Brendan's School||3004||1–8||Heretaunga||Integrated||269||||Catholic|
|St Joseph's School||3011||1–8||Upper Hutt||Integrated||392||||Catholic|
|Totara Park School||3048||1–6||Totara Park||State||290|||
|Upper Hutt Primary School||3053||1–6||Upper Hutt||State||340|||
Lower Hutt City
|Avalon Intermediate School||3031||7–8||Avalon||State||199|||
|Dyer Street School||2833||1–6||Epuni||State||253|||
|Eastern Hutt School||2834||1–6||Lower Hutt Central||State||672|||
|Hutt Central School||2862||1–6||Alicetown||State||298|||
|Hutt Intermediate School||2863||7–8||Woburn||State||625|||
|Kelson Primary School||2877||1–6||Kelson||State||209|||
|Konini Primary School||1647||1–6||Wainuiomata||State||193|||
|Koraunui School||2100||1–6||Stokes Valley||State||293||–|
|Maranatha Christian School||1179||1–8||Belmont||Integrated||148|||
|Muritai School||2920||1–8||Eastbourne||State||411||[permanent dead link]|
|Naenae Intermediate School||2921||7–8||Avalon||State||293|||
|Our Lady of Rosary School||2941||1–8||Waiwhetu||Integrated||251||||Catholic|
|Petone Central School||2955||1–8||Petone||State||70|||
|Pukeatua Primary School||2846||1–8||Wainuiomata||State||174|||
|Rata Street School||2973||1–6||Naenae||State||371|||
|Sacred Heart School||2984||1–8||Petone||Integrated||150||||Catholic|
|San Antonio School||2986||1–8||Eastbourne||Integrated||32||||Catholic|
|St Bernadette's School||3001||1–8||Naenae||Integrated||130||||Catholic|
|St Claudine Thevenet School||3018||1–8||Wainuiomata||Integrated||264||||Catholic|
|St Michael's School||3015||1–8||Taita||Integrated||124||||Catholic|
|Sts Peter and Paul School||3021||1–8||Lower Hutt Central||Integrated||450||||Catholic|
|Taita Central School||3030||1–6||Taita||State||147|||
|Tawhai School||3036||1–6||Stokes Valley||State||368|||
|TKKM o Te Ara Whanui||1670||1–8||Alicetown||State||205||-||Kura Kaupapa Māori|
|Tui Glen School||3051||1–8||Stokes Valley||State||116|||
|Wainuiomata Intermediate School||1646||7–8||Wainuiomata||State||277|||
|Wainuiomata Primary School||3059||1–6||Homedale||State||326|||
|Wellesley College||4149||1–8||Eastbourne||Private||359||||Boys only|
|Amesbury School||614||1–6||Churton Park||State||233|||
|Cardinal McKeefry School||2819||1–8||Wilton||Integrated||85||||Catholic|
|Cashmere Avenue School||2821||1–6||Khandallah||State||343|||
|Churton Park School||2824||1–6||Churton Park||State||372|||
|Clifton Terrace Model School||2826||1–8||Kelburn||State||70|||
|Clyde Quay School||2827||1–8||Mount Victoria||State||237|||
|Crofton Downs Primary School||2823||1–6||Wellington||State||249|||
|Evans Bay Intermediate School||2837||7–8||Kilbirnie||State||441|||
|Hampton Hill School||2852||1–6||Tawa||State||197|||
|Holy Cross School||2904||1–8||Miramar||Integrated||193||-|
|Houghton Valley School||2861||1–6||Houghton Bay||State||221|||
|Island Bay School||2865||1–6||Island Bay||State||456|||
|Karori Normal School||2874||1–8||Karori||State||789|||
|Karori West Normal School||2875||1–8||Karori||State||529|||
|Kelburn Normal School||2876||1–8||Kelburn||State||312|||
|Lyall Bay School||2892||1–6||Lyall Bay||State||418|||
|Makara Model School||2894||1–8||Karori||State||61|||
|Miramar Central School||2915||1–6||Miramar||State||237||-|
|Miramar Christian School||4119||1–8||Miramar||Integrated||45|||
|Miramar North School||2916||1–6||Miramar||State||272|||
|Mount Cook School||2918||1–8||Mount Cook||State||260|||
|Owhiro Bay School||2942||1–6||Owhiro Bay||State||134|||
|Raroa Normal Intermediate||2972||7–8||Johnsonville||State||654|||
|Rewa Rewa School||2979||1–8||Newlands||State||94|||
|Sacred Heart Cathedral School||2985||1–8||Thorndon||Integrated||228||||Catholic|
|South Wellington Intermediate||2994||7–8||Newtown||State||348|||
|St Anne's School||2997||1–8||Newtown||Integrated||125||-|
|St Anthony's School||2999||1–8||Seatoun||Integrated||120||||Catholic|
|St Benedict's School||3000||1–8||Khandallah||Integrated||233||||Catholic|
|St Bernard's School||3002||1–8||Brooklyn||Integrated||44||||Catholic|
|St Brigid's School||3005||1–8||Johnsonville||Integrated||320||||Catholic|
|St Francis De Sales School||3006||1–8||Island Bay||Integrated||292||||Catholic|
|St Francis Xavier School||3007||1–6||Tawa||Integrated||187||||Catholic|
|St Mark's Church School||4134||1–8||Mount Victoria||Private||199||||Anglican|
|St Patrick's School||3019||1–6||Kilbirnie||Integrated||120||-|
|St Teresa's School||3024||1–8||Karori||Integrated||142||||Catholic|
|Te Aro School||3037||1–8||Wellington||State||228|||
|West Park School||2867||1–6||Johnsonville||State||416|||
|Worser Bay School||3077||1–6||Miramar||State||212|||
|Douglas Park School||1661||1–6||Masterton||State||354|||
|Hadlow Preparatory School||4104||1–8||Kuripuni||Integrated||195||||Anglican|
|Masterton Primary School||1660||1–6||Kuripuni||State||298|||
|St Patrick's School||3016||1–6||Masterton||Integrated||239||||Catholic|
|South End School||2992||1–8||Carterton||State||141|||
|St Mary's School||3013||1–8||Carterton||Integrated||136||||Catholic|
South Wairarapa District
|South Featherston School||2993||1–8||Featherston||State||55|||
|St Teresa's School||3023||1–8||Featherston||Integrated||101||||Catholic|
Secondary and composite schools
|Bishop Viard College||256||7–13||Coed||Porirua||Integrated||287||||Catholic|
|Chilton St James School||263||1–13||Girls||Lower Hutt Central||Private||350|||
|Heretaunga College||251||9–13||Coed||Upper Hutt||State||820|||
|Hutt International Boys' School||4158||7–13||Boys||Trentham||Integrated||649|||
|Hutt Valley High School||261||9–13||Coed||Lower Hutt Central||State||1731|||
|Kapiti College||247||9–13||Coed||Raumati Beach||State||1554|||
|Ponatahi Christian School||528||1–13||Coed||Carterton||Integrated||107||||Reformed Congregation|
|Porirua College||255||9–13||Coed||Cannons Creek||State||504|||
|Queen Margaret College||278||1–13||Girls||Thorndon||Private||664||||Presbyterian|
|Raphael House Rudolf Steiner School||133||1–13||Coed||Tirohanga||Integrated||349||||Waldorf education|
|Rathkeale College||245||9–13||Boys||Opaki||Integrated||327||||Anglican, Boarding|
|Sacred Heart College||262||9–13||Girls||Lower Hutt Central||Integrated||797||||Catholic|
|Samuel Marsden Collegiate School (Karori)||280||1–13||Girls||Karori||Private||481||||Anglican|
|Samuel Marsden Collegiate School (Whitby)||546||7–13||Coed||Whitby||Private||157|||
|Scots College||281||1–13||Boys||Miramar||Private||855||||Presbyterian, Boarding|
|Silverstream Christian School||622||1–13||Coed||Silverstream||Private||25|||
|Solway College||242||7–13||Girls||Solway||Integrated||147||||Presbyterian, Boarding|
|St Bernard's College||260||7–13||Boys||Lower Hutt Central||Integrated||644||||Catholic|
|St Catherine's College||284||9–13||Girls||Kilbirnie||Integrated||244||||Catholic|
|St Matthew's Collegiate||246||7–13||Girls||Masterton||Integrated||314||||Anglican, Boarding|
|St Mary's College||286||9–13||Girls||Wellington City||Integrated||638||||Catholic|
|St Oran's College||265||7–13||Girls||Boulcott||Integrated||506||||Presbyterian|
|St. Patrick's College (Kilbirnie)||276||9–13||Boys||Kilbirnie||Integrated||816||||Catholic|
|St. Patrick's College (Silverstream)||252||9–13||Boys||Silverstream||Integrated||724||||Catholic|
|Te Kura-a-iwi o Whakatupuranga Rua Mano||3101||1–13||Coed||Otaki||State||200|||
|TKKM o Nga Mokopuna||1143||1–13||Coed||Seatoun||State||97||||Kura Kaupapa Māori|
|TKKM o Te Rito||4211||1–13||Coed||Otaki||State||96||||Kura Kaupapa Māori|
|TKKM o Wairarapa||1651||1–15||Coed||Masterton||State||77||–||Kura Kaupapa Māori|
|Upper Hutt College||250||9–15||Coed||Trentham||State||1037|||
|Wa Ora Montessori School||1189||1–13||Coed||Naenae||Integrated||257|||
|Wainuiomata High School||478||9–13||Coed||Wainuiomata||State||659|||
|Wellington East Girls' College||274||9–13||Girls||Mount Victoria||State||1096|||
|Wellington Girls' College||272||9–13||Girls||Thorndon||State||1413|||
|Wellington High School||273||9–13||Coed||Wellington||State||1224|||
|Central Regional Health School||1630||–||Coed||Thorndon||State||31||||Hospital school|
|He Huarahi Tamariki||2752||–||–||Linden||State||||Teen parent unit|
|Kimi Ora School||514||–||Coed||Naenae||State||61||||Special school for physical disabilities|
|Mahinawa Specialist School||2872||-||Coed||Porirua||State||77||–|
|Titiro Whakamua||2755||–||–||Trentham||State||||Teen parent unit|
|Wairarapa Teen Parent Unit||2750||9–13||–||Masterton||State||||–||Teen parent unit|
- Wellington City
- Athena Montessori College, Wellington. Closed in February 2009.
- Kaiwharawhara Primary School,1925-1977.
- Kingston School, Wellington
- Miramar South School and Strathmore Community School, merged on the Strathmore site in January 2013 to form Kahurangi School.
- Lower Hutt City
- Children of Hope New Zealand, Wainuiomata. Closed at the end of 2007.
- Glendale School, Wainuiomata, merged with Pencarrow School an Glendale site to form Pukeatua School.
- Hutt Valley Christian School, Wainuiomata. Closed December 2012.
- Kamahi School, merged with Stokes Valley School to form Koraunui School in January 2005.
- Manor Park School, Manor Park, Lower Hutt
- Otonga School, closed April 1999.
- Parkway College, Wainuiomata. Merged with Wainuiomata College to form Wainuiomata High School in January 2002.
- Parkway Intermediate School, Wainuiomata. Merged with Wainuiomata on Parkway site to form the new Wainuiomata Intermediate School in January 2002.
- Parkway School, Wainuiomata, merged with Sun valley School on Parkway site to form Konini School in January 2002.
- Pencarrow School, Wainuiomata, merged with Glendale School on Glendale site to form Pukeatua School in January 2002.
- Petone College, Ava. Closed January 1999.
- Petone West School, closed 1979. As of March 2013[update], a Countdown supermarket is under construction on its former site.
- St Matthew's School, Wainuiomata, merged with St Patrick's School on St Patrick's site to form St Claudine Thevenet School in January 2003.
St Patrick's School, Wainuiomata, merged with St Matthew's School on St Patrick's site to form St Claudine Thevenet School in january 2003.
- Stokes Valley School, merged with Kamahi School on Kamahi site to form Koraunui School in January 2005.
- Sun Valley School, Wainuiomata, merged with Parkway School on Parkway site to form Konini School in January 2002.
- Wainuiomata College, Wainuiomata. Merged with Parkway College at Parkway site to form Wainuiomata High School in January 2002.
- Wainuiomata Intermediate School (old), merged with Parkway Intermediate School on Parkway site to form the new Wainuiomata Intermediate School in January 2002.
- Waiwhetu School, closed December 2001.
- Wood Hatton School, merged with Wainuiomata Primary School on Wainuiomata Primary site in January 2002.
- Upper Hutt City
- Brentwood School, Upper Hutt, merged with Trentham School on Trentham site in January 2005.
- Brown Owl School, Brown Owl, Upper Hutt, closed April 2003 - which was previously known as Te Marua School until name changed in 1973.
- Upper Valley Middle School, a private year 7-10 composite school - closed voluntarily in February 2015.
- Kapiti Coast District
- Kapiti Christian School, private full primary school, closed December 2009
- Otaki Health Camp School
- Reikorangi College, private composite school, closed December 2009
- Thomas Kennedy Junior Academy, Paraparaumu. Closed August 2007.
- Presentation College, Paraparaumu - Catholic, closed 1973
- Masterton District
- Bideford School, closed September 2003.
- Castlepoint School, closed December 1999.
- Homeleigh Christian School, Masterton, closed 2007.
- Masterton East School, closed April 2002; site now used by TKKM o Wairarapa.
- Okautete School, closed April 2001.
- Te Wharau School, closed May 1999.
- In 2003, an extensive review of Masterton district primary schools meant many schools closed and combined to form new schools ready for the beginning of the 2004 school year.
- Mikimiki School closed and merged with Opaki School.
- Masterton Central School and Harley Street School combined on the Masterton Central site to form Masterton Primary School.
- Masterton West School and Cornwall Street School combined on the Masterton West site to form Douglas Park School.
- Totara Drive School, Lansdowne School and Hiona Intermediate School combined on the Hiona Intermediate site to form Lakeview School.
- "About School: School basics". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Archived from the original on 2008-05-26. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "School Donations & Fees". New Zealand Ministry of Education. 23 June 1998. Archived from the original on 14 July 2006. Retrieved 2006-06-23.
- "about NZ education". EduSearch. Archived from the original on December 6, 2007. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 2 August 2017". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- See Education in New Zealand#Years of schooling for more information on school years.
- Teen Parent Unit rolls are returned with their host school. These are Wellington East Girls' College for He Huarahi Tamariki, Heretaunga College for Titiro Whakamua, and Makoura College for the Wairarapa Teen Parent Unit.
- Palmer, Rebecca (2 March 2009). "Second Montessori college closes". The Dominion-Post. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Former Kaiwharawhara School". Wellington Heritage. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Education Counts. "School Closures, Mergers and New: December_2008" (XLS). School Mergers, Closures and New Schools. Wellington: Ministry of Education. External link in
- Rich, Katherine (7 March 2007). "List of schools closed since 1/1/1999" (PDF). Press Release: Dozens of closed schools trashed. Wellington: New Zealand National Party. See PQ1717 (PDF).
Figures released through written parliamentary questions
- Te Marua Brown Owl School Centennial 1879 - 1979 Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine., Retrieved from Upper Hutt City Library digital archive on 14 January 2011.
- "2015 School Mergers, Closures and New Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Mallard, Trevor (12 September 2003). "Final decision on Masterton schools announced - beehive.govt.nz". New Zealand Government. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Te Kete Ipurangi Ministry of Education website
- ERO school and early childhood education reports Education Review Office
- Decile change 2007 to 2008 for state & state integrated schools