List of science and technology awards for women
This list of science and technology awards for women is an index to articles about notable awards made to women for work in science and the STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields generally. It includes awards for astronomy, space and atmospheric science; biology and medicine; chemistry; engineering; mathematics; neuroscience; physics; technology; and general or multiple fields.
Astronomy, space, atmospheric science
- Annie Jump Cannon Award in Astronomy – annual award for outstanding contributions to astronomy by a woman within five years of earning a doctorate degree
- Peter B. Wagner Memorial Award for Women in Atmospheric Sciences – awarded annually since 1998, based on paper completion, to a woman studying for a Masters or PhD in atmospheric science at a university in the United States
Biology and medicine
- Elizabeth Blackwell Medal, given by the American Medical Women's Association to a woman physician "who has made the most outstanding contributions to the cause of women in the field of medicine"
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Excellence in Science Award
- Group on Women in Medicine and Science Leadership Awards, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Margaret Oakley Dayhoff Award from the Biophysical Society, Rockville, Maryland - given to a woman who "has achieved prominence for 'substantial contributions to science'" and showing high promise in the early part of her career
- Pearl Meister Greengard Prize – established 2004
- WICB Junior and Senior Awards from Women in Cell Biology (WICB)
- ACS Award for Encouraging Women into Careers in the Chemical Sciences, sponsored by the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation
- Garvan-Olin Medal – annual award that recognizes distinguished service to chemistry by women chemists
- Awards by the Iota Sigma Pi honorary society for women in chemistry:
- Agnes Fay Morgan Research Award
- Anna Louise Hoffman Award for Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Research
- Centennial Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Gladys Anderson Emerson Undergraduate Scholarship
- Members-at-Large Re-entry Award
- National Honorary Member
- Outstanding Young Women in Chemistry award.
- Undergraduate Excellence in Chemistry
- Violet Diller Professional Excellence Award
- Sharon Keillor Award for Women in Engineering Education
- Achievement Award of the Society of Women Engineers
- Young Woman Engineer of the Year Award
- Awards by the Association for Women in Mathematics:
- Alice T. Schafer Prize – established 1991
- Biographies of Contemporary Women in Mathematics Essay Contest – established in 2001 for biographical essays
- Emmy Noether Lectures – an honorary lecture award
- Louise Hay Award for Contributions to Mathematics Education – established 1991
- Ruth I. Michler Memorial Prize
- Ruth Lyttle Satter Prize in Mathematics – established 1990
- additional awards by the AWM
- Awards sponsored by the Kovalevskaia Fund in Mexico, Peru, and southern Africa
- Krieger–Nelson Prize for Distinguished Research by Women in Mathematics – established 1995 by the Canadian Mathematical Society
- Awards by the Society for Neuroscience:
- Bernice Grafstein Award for Outstanding Accomplishments in Mentoring – for dedication to mentoring women neuroscientists
- Louise Hanson Marshall Special Recognition Award – honors an individual who has significantly promoted the professional development of women in neuroscience through teaching, organizational leadership, public advocacy, or other efforts that are not necessarily related to research
- Mika Salpeter Lifetime Achievement Award – presented for outstanding career achievements in neuroscience who has also significantly promoted the professional advancement of women in neuroscience
- Patricia Goldman-Rakic Hall of Honor – posthumously recognizes a neuroscientist who has pursued career excellence and exhibited dedication and advancement of women in neuroscience
- BlackBerry Women and Technology Awards
- WITI@UC Athena Awards - Awards recognize those who embody, encourage, and promote the inclusion of women in technology. Awardees are leaders who inspire others to pursue and persist in technical careers.
General or multiple fields
- Awards by the Association for Women in Science:
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship
- Athena SWAN – a recognition scheme for UK universities working to advance and promote careers of women in science, engineering, and technology
- scholarships for women in science by Brookhaven Women in Science:
- Edison Awards – Honoring excellence in innovation
- Edith D. Hendley Award – for a woman pursuing graduate studies at the University of Vermont
- Elizabeth Blackwell Award – given by Hobart and William Smith Colleges, established in 1958
- Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists in the Developing World
- Faculty for the Future Fellowships – awarded by the Schlumberger Foundation to women from developing and emerging economies who are preparing for PhD or post-doctoral study in the physical sciences and engineering
- Katharine F. Erskine Award for Medicine and Science
- Kovalevskaia prizes sponsored by the Kovalevskaia Fund in Vietnam and Cuba
- L'Oréal-UNESCO Awards for Women in Science, aka the Helena Rubinstein Women in Science Awards
- Margaret W. Rossiter History of Women in Science Prize – established in 1987 by the History of Science Society
- Maria Mitchell Women in Science Award – from the Maria Mitchell Association "to recognize an individual whose efforts have encouraged the advancement of girls and women in the natural and physical sciences, mathematics, engineering, computer science and technology"
- Mariafranca Morselli Award – for a woman pursuing undergraduate studies in science at the University of Vermont
- Outstanding Women in Science Award – established 2002 by the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation
- Rachel Carson Prize – Norwegian prize for women environmentalists
- Robin Copeland Memorial Fellowship – fellowship from CRDF Global for women leaders in emerging countries
- Saruhashi Prize – an award for Japanese women researchers in the natural sciences
- South African Awards for Women in Science (SAWiSA)
- Tagea Brandt Rejselegat – Danish award for women who have made significant contributions in science, literature, or art
- Weizmann Women & Science Award
- Women in Technology International (WITI) Hall of Fame
- Women of Discovery Award by WINGS WorldQuest A source https://domyhomeworkfor.me/psychology-homework-help
- Special VinFuture Prize for a female author of research or invention by Vingroup.
- "Wagner Award for Women in Atmospheric Sciences". Desert Research Institute. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "Elizabeth Blackwell Award". American Medical Women's Association. Retrieved 8 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS)". AAMC. Association of American Medical Colleges. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
The Group on Women in Medicine and Science Leadership Awards recognize outstanding individual and organizational contributions to advancing women leaders in academic medicine and science. Since the first award in 1995, these prestigious awards have recognized over 30 individuals and organizations. The GWIMS awards may not always be given every year.... Nominees for the GWIMS Leadership Award should be individuals (women or men) or institutions (e.g. medical schools, teaching hospitals, academic societies, associations, departments, committees, or Women in Medicine and Science programs) that advance the role of women in academic medicine and science. The committee will consider the extent of the nominee’s impact at a local, regional, and national level.
- "Previous Award Winners: Women in Medicine and Science Leadership Development Award". AAMC. Association of American Medical Colleges. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Women in Cell Biology Awards". ASCB. The American Society for Cell Biology. Retrieved 1 December 2019.
- "ACS Award for Encouraging Women into Careers in the Chemical Sciences sponsored by The Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation, Inc". chemistry.org. American Chemical Society. 2007. Archived from the original on 3 February 2007.
- "PROFESSIONAL AWARDS". Iota Stigma Pi: National Honor Society for Women in Chemistry. Retrieved 16 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Student Awards". Iota Stigma Pi: National Honor Society for Women in Chemistry. Retrieved 16 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Sharon A. Keillor Award for Women in Engineering Education". American Society for Engineering Education. 2007. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007.
- "Individual Awards". Society of Women Engineers. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
The Achievement Award is the highest award given by the Society of Women Engineers. It is presented annually to a woman who has made an outstanding technical contribution for at least twenty (20) years of time in a field of engineering. Her academic training may be in either science or engineering.
- "Alice T. Schafer Mathematics Prize: For Excellence in Mathematics by an Undergraduate Woman". Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
The Executive Committee of the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) has established the Alice T. Schafer Mathematics Prize to be awarded to an undergraduate woman for excellence in mathematics. The Schafer Prize was established in 1990 and is named for AWM former President and one of its founding members, Alice T. Schafer, who contributed a great deal to women in mathematics throughout her career.
- "Student Essay Contests: Sponsored by AWM and Math for America". Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
To increase awareness of women’s ongoing contributions to the mathematical sciences, the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) and Math for America co-sponsor an essay contest for biographies of contemporary women mathematicians and statisticians in academic, industrial, and government careers. The essays will be based primarily on an interview with a woman currently working in a mathematical sciences career.
- "Louise Hay Awards: For Contributions to Mathematics Education". Association for Women in Mathematics. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
The Executive Committee of the Association for Women in Mathematics has established the Louise Hay Award for Contributions to Mathematics Education to recognize outstanding achievements in any area of mathematics education, to be interpreted in the broadest possible sense. The annual presentation of this award is intended to highlight the importance of mathematics education and to evoke the memory of all that Hay exemplified as a teacher, scholar, administrator, and human being.
- Riddle, Larry (17 December 2019). "Prizes, Awards, and Honors for Women Mathematicians". Biographies of Women Mathematicians. Agnes Scott College. Retrieved 25 January 2020.
- "Fundación Kovalevskaia - Sociedad Matemática Mexicana" [Kovalevskaia Foundation - Mexican Mathematical Society] (in Spanish). Sociedad Matemática Mexicana. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- PREMIO SOFIA KOVALEVSKAIAA: la mejor Tesis en Ciencias Matemáticas [SOFIA KOVALEVSKAIAA AWARD: The Best Thesis in Mathematical Sciences] (PDF) (in Spanish), Lima, Peru: GRUPO MUJERES PERUANAS EN CIENCIAS MATEMÁTICAS and FUNDACIÓN SOFÍA KOVALEVSKAIA, 8 March 2018, retrieved 24 January 2020
- "Kovalevskaia Research Grants". Masamu: A SAMSA Initiative. Auburn University. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "We Support Your Work". Society for Neuroscience. 2019. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Awards to applaud women in tech". BBC. British Broadcasting Corporation. 27 July 2005. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- Shifrin, Tash (2 August 2005). "BlackBerry launches women in technology awards". ComputerWorld. TechTarget. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- PRNewswire (2 October 2019). "AWIS Announces Top Awards for STEM Excellence, Leadership, Workplace Equity and Inclusion". CISTON. Washington, DC: PR Newswire Association LLC. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- AWIS Educational Foundation (23 July 2019). "Alexandra Detweiler is the 2019 recipient of AWIS Kirsten R. Lorentzen Award" (Press release). Association for Women in Science. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
A part of the AWIS Educational Foundation program, the Kirsten R. Lorentzen Award is for women who are college sophomores and juniors studying physics, including space physics and geophysics, or geoscience.
- "Amelia Earhart Fellowship". Zonta International Foundation. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "Scholarships & Awards". Brookhaven National Laboratory / Brookhaven Women in Science. U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- The Women’s Center (18 December 2015). "UVM Women's Center Seeking Nominations for Annual Awards" (Press release). The University of Vermont. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "THE BLACKWELL AWARD". Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Awards: The OWSD - Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early-Career Women Scientists in the Developing World". Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- The Elsevier Foundation (17 June 2010). "Twelve Women Scientists Announced as Winners of Elsevier Foundation TWOWS Awards" (Press release). Beijing. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "Faculty for the Future 2016" (Press release). Schlumberger Limited. 3 June 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- Gray, Sandra (6 May 2015). "Homeless women's health advocate awarded Katharine F. Erskine Award for Women: Family physician Linda Weinreb, MD, is director of the Worcester Homeless Families Program" (Press release). University of Massachusetts Medical School. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "Women Union marks 30 years of Kovalevskaia prize". VOV.vn. The Voice of Vietnam Online. 6 March 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- Luben Pérez, Lino (4 October 2017). "Reciben científicas cubanas premio Sofía Kovalievskaia" [Cuban scientists receive Sofia Kovalievskaia award]. Sierra Maestra. La Habana. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- "The Society: Margaret W. Rossiter History of Women in Science Prize". History of Science Society. 2009. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Award Winner Announced! Maria Mitchell Women in Science Award". Maria Mitchell Association. 2003. Archived from the original on 28 September 2006.
- "Outstanding Women in Science Award". Korea Science and Engineering Foundation. 2006. Archived from the original on 27 November 2007.
- "The Robin Copeland Memorial Fellowship". CRDF Global. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
- "South African Women in Science Awards". University of Cape Town. 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2020.
- "2018 Women of Discovery Awards". WINGS WORLDQUEST. WINGS WorldQuest. 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2020.
- Vietnamese billionaire launches global sci-tech prize Phuong Nguyen VnExpress December 20, 2020