List of secret police organizations
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (January 2014)|
In this list, reputable sources, with relevant quotes, allege the organizations in this list to be secret police.
Various individual or collective ideological beliefs may affect the completeness of this list: inclusion should not be based solely on paranoia or fringe theories.
Agencies by country
- Intelligence agency
- League of the Holy Court (Vehmgericht)
- Mass surveillance
- Secret police
- Secret service
- Star Chamber
- List of fictional secret police organizations
- List of historical secret police organizations
- List of intelligence agencies
- List of law enforcement agencies
- List of protective services
- Black, Ian (February 17, 2011). "Bahrain security forces accused of deliberately recruiting foreign nationals". The Guardian. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
The secret police – the Bahrain national security agency, known in Arabic as the Mukhabarat...
- Sweeny, John (30 July 2012). "21st-Century Torture". The Independent (London) (Independent Print Limited). p. 24.
…the Belarusian secret police, the KGB…
- Afary, Janet (May 26, 2009). "Sexual Politics in Iran". PBS Frontline. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...they worked with the secret police SAVAMA and were instrumental in eliminating dissident groups
- Taheri, Amir (October 15, 2010). "Iran marches on". New York Post. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...Savama, the dreaded secret police, has arrested an unknown number of people on charges ...
- Soltis, Andy (18 February 2014). "UN brands Kim new Hitler Report bares N. Korea hell crimes". The New York Post (News Corp). p. 8.
The security agent came in and this agent of the Bowibu [secret police]…
- Guo, Jerry (4 October 2010). "The Regent Behind the Son". Newsweek (International Edition) 156 (14): 7. ISSN 0163-7053.
…Jang officially controls the internal security forces, including the secret police.
- "Nigerian terrorist trained in the UK". The Daily Telegraph (Australia) (News Corp Australia). 18 May 2014. p. 44.
Nigeria's secret police, the Department of State Services…
- Adigun, Bashir (21 February 2013). "Nigeria arrests 'terrorists backed by Iran'". Irish Independent (Dublin: Independent News & Media). p. 22.
Nigeria's secret police… …the State Security Service, responsible for domestic spying in Africa's most populous nation…
- Boyes, Roger (11 December 2012). "Visitors are frozen out of city sealed in a gas bubble". The Times (UK Edition) (London: News UK). p. 27.
Under an edict issued last week… …any unauthorised visitor will be removed from the train by members of the FSB secret police…
- Soldatov, Andrei; Borogan, Irina (September 2010). "Russia's New Nobility Subtitle: The Rise of the Security Services in Putin's Kremlin". Foreign Affairs (New York City: Council on Foreign Relations) 89 (5): 80.
…the FSB, the modern successor to the Soviet secret police, the KGB…
- "The making of a neo-KGB state". The Economist (London: The Economist Group): 25–28. 23 August 2007.
Political power in Russia now lies with the FSB, the KGB's successor.
- Caryl, Christian (October 3, 2012). "An Idealist on Death Row". Foreign Policy. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...the Sudanese secret police — the notorious National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS)...
- Howden, Daniel (June 28, 2012). "Has the Arab Spring now spread to Sudan?". The Independent. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...and the hated secret police, the NISS.
- Joseph, Claudia (18 December 2011). "Channel 4: We'll screen proof of Syrian torture". The Mail on Sunday (Associated Newspapers Ltd).
…the four main pillars of the secret police: military intelligence, air force intelligence, the political security directorate and the general security directorate…
- Sledge, Matt (27 June 2014). "U.S.-Backed Secret Police Arrest Doctoral Student In Tajikistan". The World Post. New York City: The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on 28 June 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
A U.S.-trained secret police force… …The State Committee of National Security, the successor to the Soviet spy agency KGB in the central Asia country…
- Hoyle, Ben (1 July 2014). "Tajiks hold 'spying' Exeter academic". The Times (UK Edition) (London: News UK). p. 32.
…his meeting with an opposition leader was broken up by secret police…
- Stalker, Peter (2010). A Guide to Countries of the World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 328. ISBN 9780199580729.
His heavyweight secret police, the KNB…
- Bohr, Annette (2013). Nations in Transit 2013: Democratization from Central Europe to Eurasia. New York City: Freedom House. p. 579. ISBN 9781442231191.
…including MNS secret police and other officials…
- Minaya, Ezequiel; Schaefer Muñoz (February 9, 2015). "Venezuela Confronts Retail Sector". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...members of the secret police, called the Sebin, surrounded Mr. Morales and arrested him...
- "Rights group: American moved to dangerous prison". Associated Press. May 31, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
...was moved Wednesday from the SEBIN secret police lockup...
- Raath, Jan (3 August 2013). "Farm couple 'face arrest for voting anti-Mugabe'". The Times (UK Edition) (London: News UK). p. 35.
…agents of the Central Intelligence Organisation, the feared secret police.
- Han Shih, Toh (5 August 2012). "HK adviser 'gave US$100m to Mugabe secret police'". South China Morning Post. p. 6.
…Several reliable sources within the Zimbabwe secret police (the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO))…