List of shipwrecks in 1840
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The list of shipwrecks in 1840 includes some ships sunk, wrecked or otherwise lost during 1840.
|Clio||France||The ship was lost in the Maldive Islands.|
|Egyptian||United Kingdom||The ship was wrecked on the Pratas Shoal. She was on a voyage from Liverpool, Lancashire to Sydney.|
|Falcon||United Kingdom||The ship was wrecked off Anegada, Virgin Islands. Her crew were rescued. She was on a voyage from London to Saint Domingo.|
|Guillardon||New South Wales||The ship was wrecked at the mouth of the Hooghly River with the loss of a pilot. Her crew were rescued. She was on a voyage from Sydney to Calcutta, India.|
|Jenny||United Kingdom||The sloop foundered in the Irish Sea. She was on a voyage from Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire to Cardigan.|
|Jeune Lise||France||The ship ran aground on reefs off Guadeloupe. She was on a voyage from Guadeloupe to Bordeaux, Gironde. Jeune Lise was refloated and taken into Guadeloupe.|
|John Barry||New South Wales||The ship was reported to have been wrecked in the Lombok Strait, but had merely run aground. She was refloated and taken to Sourabaya, Netherlands East Indies for repairs.|
|Lonach||United Kingdom||The barque was wrecked in the Nicobar Islands before 29 June. She was on a voyage from Calcutta to Port Adelaide, South Australia.|
|Mary||United Kingdom||The ship was wrecked on the east coast of what is now the Dominican Republic. She was on a voyage from Saint Croix, Virgin Islands to London.|
|Matilda||United Kingdom||The ship was wrecked in the Cayman Islands.|
|Randolph||United States||The steamboat was destroyed by fire on the Mississippi River.|
|Staulkner||United Kingdom||The brig was wrecked on the coast of Newfoundland, British North America.|
|Vermoil||United States||The steamboat sank in the Mississippi River at St. Louis, Missouri.|
|Vlarhandel||Netherlands||The ship was driven ashore in the Netherlands East Indies. She was on a voyage from Tjilatjap to Rotterdam, South Holland. Vlarhandel was refloated and put back to Tjilatjap.|
- "Ship News". The Times (17432). London. 11 August 1840. col C, p. 7.
- "Shipping Report". Southern Australian. Adelaide. 27 November 1840. p. 2.
- "Ship News". The Times (17410). London. 15 July 1840. col B, p. 7.
- "Shipping Intelligence". Commercial Journal and Advertiser. Sydney. 18 July 1840. p. 2.
- "CARDIGAN & DISTRICT SHIPWRECKS AND LIFEBOAT SERVICE". Glen Johnson. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- "Shipping Intelligence". The Morning Chronicle (22130). London. 29 October 1840.
- "Shipping Intelligence". Commercial Journal and Advertiser. Sydney. 14 November 1840. p. 2.
- "Ship News". The Times (17526). London. 17 November 1840. col E, p. 7.
- "Ship News". The Times (17289). London. 25 February 1840. col E, p. 7.
- "Shipping Intelligence". Caledonian Mercury (18763). Edinburgh. 13 April 1840.
- "Latest from America". The Belfast News-Letter (10803). Belfast. 22 January 1841.
- "Shipping Intelligence". The Morning Chronicle (22041). London. 17 July 1840.
- "Shipping Intelligence". The Morning Chronicle (22209). London. 30 January 1841.
|Ship events in 1840|