List of shipwrecks in 2006
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The list of shipwrecks in 2006 includes all ships sunk, foundered, grounded, or otherwise lost during 2006.
- Ece ( Marshall Islands): The tanker sank while being towed toward Le Havre, after having collided with the freighter General Grot-Rowecki ( Malta) about 50 kilometres (31 mi) north-west of Guernsey. The Ece sank near the site of the collision, in 70 metres (230 ft) of water, 90 kilometres (56 mi) west of Cap de La Hague.
- al-Salam Boccaccio 98 ( Egypt): The passenger ferry caught fire and sank in the Red Sea killing at least 846 people. A total of 426 people were rescued.
- Runner 4 ( Dominica): Cargo ship carrying aluminium sank in the Gulf of Finland when Svyatitel Apostol Andrey collided into it from behind while both were in a convoy escorted by a Russian icebreaker Kapitan Sorokin.
- Teklivka ( Malta): Cargo ship sunk in the Mediterranean near Port Said, Egypt in a storm. Three crew were lost, but the other 12 were rescued by the Searose G.
- Hyundai Fortune ( South Korea - Hyundai): Container ship damaged by fire in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen. Later towed to port. She was repaired and returned to service.
- Queen of the North ( Canada): Large passenger ferry which sank off the north coast of British Columbia, Canada after running aground. Two passengers drowned.
- An unnamed passenger boat (flag unknown) sank off Cameroon's Atlantic coast near the port of Kribi, with the loss of at least 127 lives.
- Pong Su ( Tuvalu): Sunk by bombing from Royal Australian Air Force aircraft off Australia.
- Solar I ( Philippines): Guimaras oil spill: The oil tanker sank off the coast off Guimaras province.
- Cominoland ( Malta): The former Gozo ferry was scuttled in the Mediterranean Sea off Xatt l-Aħmar, Gozo as an artificial reef.
- Karwela ( Malta): The former Captain Morgan ferry boat was scuttled in the Mediterranean Sea off Xatt l-Aħmar, Gozo as an artificial reef.
- Finnbirch ( Sweden): The ro-ro ferry capsized and sank off the coast of Sweden with the loss of two crew.
- "Tanker wreck starts leaking oil". BBC News Online. 1 February 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "Runner 4 sunk". Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- 2007 inaugural IMO Award for Exceptional Bravery at Sea to be awarded to Searose G seafarers for dramatic rescue of Teklivka crew
- Eleven Ukrainians reported among crew of Teklivka boat, which sank near Port Said
- Neal Hall: Family of woman who died in ferry sinking settles lawsuit Vancouver Sun
- "Boat wrecked off Cameroon coast". BBC News Online. 23 March 2006. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "Oil slick spreading in Philippines" The Times (London). Saturday, 19 August 2006. (68783), col A-B, p. 39.
- "Karwela & Cominoland - Gozo". Subway Dive Centre. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
|Ship events in 2006|