List of smart TV platforms and middleware software
Middleware providers to multiple third parties
For TV sets and companion boxes vendors, available under OEM license.
Framework platforms managed by standardization bodies or technology consortium
|HbbTV||HbbTV Association||An HTML5-based application framework middle-ware software platform provided by the Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV association.|
|CE-HTML||CEA (Consumer Electronics Association)||As part of Web4CE.|
|OIPF||Open IPTV Forum||As of June 2014, OIPF is now part of the HbbTV Association.|
Framework platforms managed by single companies or foundations
Available to third parties, under OEM license.
|Framework||Managed by||Used by||Comment|
Bouygues Telecom (Bbox Miami)
Free/Iliad (Freebox Mini 4K)
LeEco (Super4 X Series)
NVIDIA (Shield TV Console)
|Smart TV platform for TV sets and set-top-boxes. Gives access to Android apps through the Play Store.|
|Boxee||Boxee, Inc||D-Link||Popular fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software with custom graphical user interface and some proprietary application framework for apps.|
|Firefox OS for TV||Mozilla||Panasonic||Panasonic's Smart TVs, including their new 4K TVs, continue to feature Mozilla's open source Firefox OS, despite Mozilla lowering its development priority on developing the operating system.  Panasonic is continuing to develop their fork, calling it My Home Screen while Mozilla has stated that they will continue to support and work with Panasonic|
|Frog||Wyplay||SFR||Used by some IPTV operators, such as SFR in France on its set-top-box|
|Android based platform. Its development stopped in 2013 and it is replaced by Chromecast and Android TV.|
|Horizon TV||Liberty Global||A cross-platform platform based fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software with proprietary middleware framework for video on demand and handling DRM for streaming cable television channels.|
|An HbbTV compliant TV Operating System for Connected TV receivers, addressing all Digital TV platforms.|
|Inview||Inview Technology Ltd||Digifusion
|Connects an ordinary TV (or set-top box) to get IPTV.|
|Kodi Entertainment Center (formerly XBMC Media Center)||XBMC Foundation||Open source cross-platform media center and DVR/PVR frontend software.|
|MeeGo||Nokia, The Linux Foundation||Middleware for smart TV. Now split into Tizen, Mer, and Sailfish OS) (Linux Foundation, Intel, AMD) currently based on a derivative fork of Kodi/XBMC media center software|
|Mediaroom||Ericsson (former: Microsoft)||Swisscom||Middleware for Pay-TV operators|
Sky Italia (Italy)
|Middleware for Pay-TV operators.|
|Opera TV||Opera Software||Hisense
|TV solution for operators, OEMs, and brands.|
|Oregan Media Browser 5||Oregan Networks||British Telecom
|Middleware for Pay-TV operators, deployed by large telecoms and cable operators such as BT and Telefónica on Hybrid STBs|
|Plex||Plex, Inc||Closed source cross-platform media center with proprietary streaming functionality to numerous devices, (initially started out as a popular fork of the Kodi/XBMC media center software.|
|RDK (Reference Development Kit)||Comcast||Cisco
|TV solution for operators, OEMs, and brands.|
|Smart TV Alliance||Smart TV Alliance||LG
Philips / TP Vision
|A common SDK for TV app development and publishing for TV vendors.|
|ToFu Media Platform||Pivos||Pivos
|Cross-platform fork of Kodi/XBMC media center licensed to third parties and other commercial partners as OEM.|
|Ubuntu TV||Canonical||Ubuntu operating system based platform, with Unity Next user interface for TV.|
|Yahoo! Connected TV (formerly Yahoo! GoTV)||Yahoo!||Mediatek
Vizio (Internet Apps Plus)
|Available on some TV sets.|
Current smart TV platforms utilized by vendors
Includes first and third-party solutions.
|Amazon.com||Fire TV (Fire OS based)||For Fire TV devices, including TV stick.|
|Apple||tvOS||For newer Apple TV boxes.|
|Apple||Apple TV, running on iOS||For Apple TV boxes. Initially using Front Row (software).|
|Chromecast||For Chromecast HDMI dongles.|
|Haier||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|Hisense||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|Hitachi||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|Insigna||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|LG||webOS Smart TV||Current solution for TV sets.|
|LG||NetCast||Former solution for TV sets.|
|Microsoft||Xbox One||For Xbox One game console. More Smart TV features and TV apps expected with the Windows 10 update, that include the Windows Universal App Store.|
|Microsoft||Xbox 360||For Xbox 360 game console, with smart TV features.|
|Netgear||NeoTV||For NeoTV streaming players.|
|Nvidia||Nvidia Shield TV||For Nvidia Shield TVs.|
|Panasonic||Viera Cast and Viera Connect||For TV sets. The newer TV models now use the Firefox OS TV platform (no longer vendor specific).|
|Panasonic||Life+Screen||For TV sets.|
|Philips||Net TV||For TV sets.|
|Samsung||Tizen OS for TV||For newer TV sets.|
|Samsung||Samsung Smart TV (Orsay OS)||Former solution for TV sets and connected Blu-ray players. Now replaced by Tizen OS.|
|Sharp||AQUOS NET+||For TV sets.|
|Sharp||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|Sharp||SmartCentral||For TV sets.|
|Sony||PlayStation TV with Sony Entertainment Network||For PlayStation game console.|
|Sony||Sony Internet TV (Sony Apps)||Former solution for TV sets. The newer TV models now use the Android TV platform (no longer vendor specific).|
|TCL||Roku TV||For TV sets.|
|TCL / Thomson||Smart TV 2||For TV sets.|
|TiVo||TiVo||For TiVo DVR box.|
|Toshiba||Toshiba Places||For TV sets.|
|Sling Media||Slingbox||For Slingbox set-top-boxes.|
|Western Digital||WD TV||For WD TV boxes.|
- Smart TV
- Digital media player
- Home theater PC
- Comparison of set-top boxes
- Comparison of Net-Connected Media Players
- List of Net Connected Media Players
- "IBC 2011: Smart TV Q&A with iomega's Olivier D'Eternod". Scoop.intel.com. September 15, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Boxee See Internet TV Moving Away From The Computer To Mobile And Connected TV". Worldtvpc.com. December 29, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Panasonic Sticks With Firefox OS for Smart TV Range".
- "Next Steps for Connected Devices".
- "Panasonic Announces New OLED TV and 4K Blu Ray Players".
- "Google TV 2.0 gains Honeycomb, Android Market". Archived from the original on 2012-09-05.
- "Googletv issue tracker".
- Smith, Tony (23 January 2012). "Acetrax joins Inview VoD squad". Retrieved 8 March 2012.
- "Acetrax to launch online movie service with Inview platform". DigitalTV.net. undated (2011). Retrieved 08/03/2012. Check date values in:
- https://meego.com/devices/smart-tv MeeGo for Smart TV
- "AMD to contribute to MeeGo development". The H open. November 15, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- "MeeGo Smart TV for Trimslice". Wiki.meego.com. September 21, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "XBMC + MeeGo hardfp on trimslice – nvidia tegra2 (MeeGo TV)". Madeo.co.uk. August 1, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "XBMC + MeeGo hardfp on trimslice – nvidia tegra2 (MeeGo TV)". Youtube. August 1, 2011. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- https://build.pub.meego.com/package/show?package=xbmc-gles&project=home%3Aarfoll%3Axbmc-testing xbmc-gles
- "Microsoft Mediaroom: IPTV gets a makeover". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Microsoft unveils all new time shifting, interactive features for Mediaroom IPTV". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "New Mediaroom clients to bring Microsoft's TV platform everywhere this year". Engadget.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Canonical outs Ubuntu TV: Brave or stupid?". Extremetech.com. January 9, 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- Schofield, Jack (January 9, 2012). "CES 2012: free Ubuntu TV has service and revenue fees". Zdnet.co.uk. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Unity-based Ubuntu TV takes on Google TV". Archived from the original on 2012-09-06.
- http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/ Yahoo! Connected TV
- "LG MAKES SMART TV SIMPLE WITH NEW WEBOS SMART TV PLATFORM". http://www.lgnewsroom.com. Retrieved January 7, 2014. External link in
- "Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "LG Smart TV – Access the World of Entertainment using the LG Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "LG Smart TV – Easily Connect, Stream and Share with the new LG Smart TV". Lg.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Smart TV". Lg.com/au. Retrieved June 17, 2012.
- Contact Kat Hannaford: Email the author Comment (September 1, 2010). "Internet-Connected TV Apps System Renamed to "Smart TV" by LG". Gizmodo.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
-  Samsung 2011 CES Wrap-up: Products for a Smarter Life
- "The Wonder of Samsung Smart TVs". Samsung.com. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- http://www.samsungsmarttvchallenge.eu Samsung Smart TV Challenge
- "Sony Entertainment Network".
- Breaking down the PS Vita TV: Why Sony's $100 set-top box is more than a consolation prize
- "Toshiba Places". Toshiba.eu. Retrieved July 1, 2013.