List of social bookmarking websites
Social bookmarking websites are centralized online services which allow users to store and share Internet bookmarks. Such sites typically offer a blend of social and organizational tools, such as annotation, categorization, folksonomy-based tagging, social cataloging, commenting, and interface with other kinds of services like citation management software and social networking sites.
|BibSonomy||BibSonomy is a system for sharing bookmarks and lists of literature.|
|CiteULike||CiteULike is a web service which allows users to save and share citations to academic papers.|
|Delicious||The site was bought by Avos Systems on April 27, 2011 though was operated by Yahoo! until July 2011.|
|Digg||Digg is a news aggregator with an editorially driven front page|
|Diigo||Designed to bookmark web pages and highlight key points for reference. Free.|
|Google Bookmarks||Bookmarking service by Google|
|Pearltrees||Collaborative bookmark exploration and curation tool organized and presented like a mind map.|
|Pinboard||Pinboard can automatically import your links and tweets from a number of outside services. The archive feature saves a local copy of everything you bookmark in case the original page goes offline, and offers full-text search. Currently 11 USD annual fee, with an optional 25 USD fee for archiving.|
|Pinterest is a web and mobile application company that offers a visual discovery, collection, sharing, and storage tool.|
|Users submit content in the form of either a link or a text ("self") post. Links and content can be voted on.|
|StumbleUpon||StumbleUpon is a discovery engine that finds and recommends web content to its users.|
|We Heart It||We Heart It is an image-based social network for inspiring images|
|Bookmarking articles and links.|
|Xmarks||Syncs bookmarks (folders & sub-folders) and profiles across different browsers and platforms. Includes sharing option and possibility to access bookmarks via web-based-interface.|
- Amplify: web clipping service, bought by Clipboard in 2012. The current website, Amplify.com, runs an education service launched in 2012 by News Corp, which has no relation to the prior bookmark service.
- Clipmarks: a Delicious-like social bookmarking service, bought by Clipboard in 2012.
- Connotea: discontinued service on March 12, 2013.
- Faves: as of January 2012, the service is no longer active.
- Furl: web page clipping and archiving service, founded in 2003 and acquired by Diigo in 2009.
- Gnolia (formerly Ma.gnolia)
- My Web: as of November 2005 - Internet Expert
- Simpy (formerly de.lirio.us)
- Comparison of enterprise bookmarking platforms
- List of social software
- List of social networking websites
- Comparison of reference management software
Notes and references
- Gilbertson, Scott (November 6, 2006). "Social Bookmarking Showdown". Wired.
- Guynn, Jessica (27 April 2011). "Bookmark this: YouTube's Chad Hurley and Steve Chen buy Delicious from Yahoo". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 27 April 2011.
- As Social Bookmarking Reignites, Venture-Backed Clipboard Acquires Clipmarks & Amplify
- Diigo Buys Web Page Clipping Service Furl Away From LookSmart