List of social nudity places in Africa
This is a list of social nudity places in Africa. The list includes nude beaches and naturist resorts, where people practise skinny dipping, naked bodysurfing or any other form of nude recreation.
- 1 Mauritius
- 2 Namibia
- 3 South Africa
- 4 Notes and references
- 5 External links
- Southern Skies Personal Safaris
Beaches and other natural areas
There are no beaches in South Africa where the right to bathe nude is protected. However, Sandy Bay and the Umhlanga Lagoon and Mpenjati beach are beaches where nudity is accepted and bathers are very unlikely to be prosecuted for simply being naked. Mpenjati beach has been approved as a naturist beach by the local town council in charge of the area. The situation at the other beaches is less certain. Nudist beaches are by nature remote and secluded and it is unfortunate that in South Africa this makes them unsafe as criminals find them ideal for their purposes too. Nudists are advised to try to keep in big groups, singles and couples should exercise a great deal of caution if visiting the lesser known nudist beaches.
- Secrets Beach [a] in Port Elizabeth
- Lighthouse Beach, Great Fish River [b] between Port Alfred and East London, in 2003 there were plans to make this beach an official nudist beach; the plans never took off.
- The Striptease River Trail[c] at the Tsitsikamma Lodge and Spa. The trail is nudist friendly; the hotel, however, is a textile hotel.
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve [e] near Trafalgar and 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) north of Port Edward is a beautiful wild-life reserve administered by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, which has a popular nudist beach. Application was made to the Hibiscus Coast Local Municipality to approve its use as an official nudist beach. On 28 October 2014, at their October 2014 monthly council meeting the Hibiscus Coast Local Municipality approved beach as an official naturist beach. The nudist section of the beach is about 200 metres (220 yd) north of the Mpenjati River mouth, and is clearly signposted.
North West Province
- Harmony Nature Farm [j] is nestled on the cliffs of the Magaliesburg mountains
- Kiepersolkloof [k] is a private nature reserve near Rustenburg
- Voëlkop at the Wayback Machine (archived 20 July 2013) [l] is a men-only gay nude resort in Makolokwe between Pretoria and Rustenburg.
- Vyedam Naturist Resort [m] is in the Hekpoort valley surrounded by the Magaliesburg and Wittewater mountains.
- Bare Necessities at the Wayback Machine (archived 8 January 2015) [n] in Suurbraak.
- Sun Kissed Villa [o] in Hout Bay.
Notes and references
- Secrets Beach
- Lighthouse Beach
- Striptease River Trail
- Umhlanga lagoon
- Mpenjati Nature Reserve
- Sandy Bay
- Sun Eden
- Hooting Owl
- Harmony Nature Farm
- Vyedam Naturist Resort
- Bare Necessities
- Sun Kissed Villa
- Steven Bartlo (23 December 2005). "Taking the scenic route". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- Elhaam Ajam (2010). "Get glowing at SA's nudie beaches". gotravel24. 24.com. Archived from the original on 27 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-13.
- "Nudist Beach in Cap Malheureux, Mauritius". Mygola.com. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "Read of Namibia and the naturist desert trek by Ken and Polly Green". Naturist-holiday-guide.com. 2012-06-27. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- Precious Jili (28 October 2014). "Update: Green light for nudist beach". South Coast Herald. Retrieved 2014-10-28.
- Bronwyn Fourie (29 October 2014). "KZN nudist beach gets green light". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-29.
- Sauer, Debbie (22 September 2003). "Nudist beach about to take off". News24. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Tsitsikamma: Striptease trail". News24. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- Harrison, Philip (2004). Ecotravel. New Africa Books. pp. 86–. ISBN 978-0-86486-566-3.
- Ndou, Clive (18 February 2014). "Nudist beach gets first green light". The Citizen. Johannesburg: The Citizen. Retrieved 2014-05-23.
- Bronwyn Fourie (23 September 2014). "Nudist beach plan causes uproar". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Bronwyn Fourie (1 October 2014). "Naturists left hanging over beach issue". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Bronwynn Fourie (30 September 2014). "Council to decide on KZN nudist beach". Independent Online. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- "Hibiscus Coast municipality will hear nudist beach application next week". The New Age Online. 25 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- JayWay. "Mpenjati Overview". Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife. Retrieved 2014-10-22.
- Padayachee, Kamini (12 October 2015). "Nudists strip off in anticipation". Independent Online. Retrieved 2015-10-15.