List of social nudity places in Asia
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This list of social nudity places in Asia is a list of places where social nudity is practised for recreation in Asia. It includes free beaches (or clothing-optional beaches or nude beaches) and some resorts.
- Dadonghai Beach, north end, in Sanya, Hainan Island. This free beach is reportedly China's only naturist site and quite public and touristy where some 500 Chinese and a few European nudists congregate here every day (as observed in Feb 2012). Nudity at the beach was banned starting in February 2014.
- De facto nudist beaches or camps. While there are no officially designated nudist beaches in China as of 2016, there are numerous de facto nudist, or clothing-optional, beaches across the country.
Hong Kong does not officially allow nude or topless bathing, and most local bathers are quite conservative in their beach dress (e.g. many women wear T-shirts over swimsuits). Nevertheless, more remote parts of Hong Kong's extensive coastline do offer opportunities for nudity:
- At least one naturist organization in the territory arranges weekend boat trips to the more remote parts of Sai Kung Country Park in the New Territories.
- Unofficial nudist beaches reportedly exist on Lantau Island.
- Tai Long Wan beach on the Chi Ma Wan Peninsula is sometimes used by naturists.
- Historically, nudists gathered at Sha Tin in the 1930s and Wok Tai Wan on Tsing Yi Island, from the late 1930s to the 1950s.
- Power Station Beach on Lamma Island is reported to be used for nude night swimming at times.
- South Bay Beach near Repulse Bay. Some report that the beach is frequently used by groups of expatriate women for nude sunbathing [unconfirmed]. South Bay and neighboring Middle Bay see occasional topless use by women.
- Kau Ling Chung beach (狗嶺涌營地) - east of Fan Lau beach and due west of the obelisk is used by naturists. It is a remote location, usually empty except for the naturists.
- Among the Hindu religious sects, only the sect known as Naga sadhu can be seen nude. These Sadhus usually wear a loin cloth around their waist, but not always. They usually remain in their Akhara, deep forest or isolation and come out in public only once every sixth year during Ardha Kumbh and Kumbha Mela. The Naga sadhus are prominent at Kumbha Mela and may not wear any clothes even in severe winter.
- Private beaches in Goa sometimes experience nude tourists, but it is prohibited. Violators are fined and arrested. The same is true of private beaches in the adjacent state of Karnataka.
- Neve Midbar Beach by the Dead Sea, one of the best nudist places in Israel, is located along the shore of the Dead Sea. During good, not too hot weather, especially on Saturdays, many nudists gather in this beach to celebrate life. To get to the nude beach, one should enter the reception gate. Turning right with the road, the nude beach is about 500 metres (1,600 ft) from the entry after the hill.
- Metsoke Dragot Beach by the Dead Sea, located an oasis in the dead sea where a couple of sweet water springs pour into the Dead Sea. This is a natural beach and there are no facilities, but the sweet water springs can be used for shower after a dip in the dead sea.
- Twice a year, in June and September, a mostly-young naturist festival is held in Israel, featuring a lot of parties, music, spiritual lessons, and more. This event takes place not far from Eilat on road number 40, at a place called "Desert Ashram".
- Some public hot spring baths in Japan allow mixed gender nudity, particularly those in rural locations and where permitted by prefectural law. Related Japanese terms include: onsen for hot spring; konyoku for mixed gender bath; and sentō for a type of public bath, but gender separated.
- China Sea Island in Boayan Island, Philippines
- Fridays Island in El Nido, Palawan, Philippines
- Freedom Beach in Boracay is a nude beach that can only be reached by boat.
- Fort Road beach as an unofficial nude beach went down in history and was well-known to nudists around the world. In 2008, it gave way to development of an underground expressway and Gardens by the Bay.
- Nude forest bathing is a well known traditional legalized nudism for well-being in Korea, where nudists are allowed to walk through the trees in the park naked. Famous legal place include Jangheung County in South Jeolla Province, South Korea.
- Public baths (Jjimjilbang) are also widespread and nude communal bathing is normal, although nudity is not permitted in unisex areas.
- The Korean Government (Jeju Province) reviewed the opening of its first nude beaches i.e. Jungmun Beach and Hamdeok Beach in Jeju Island.
- There are clothing-optional resorts and beaches that local nudists frequent, as well as host regularly scheduled monthly meetings. Chan Resort and Oriental Village in Chiang Mai and Lemon Tree Resort in Phuket are examples and they are member resorts of Naturist Association Thailand.
- Recently, more resorts in Chiang Mai and south of Hua Hin are being designated as clothing-optional or nudist resorts, such as Phuan Naturist Village in Sattahip. This is probably one of the most uniques naturist venues in the world as it is owned and managed by 4 Thai sisters.
- Khao Yai National Park. For those who love to do hiking in nude, the activity is possible at the national park. Overnight accommodations available for nudists are at a naturist-friendly resort near the Park or camping out in the jungle.
- "Chinese police order nudists to cover up". The Telegraph. 2014-02-07. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- "Chinese nudists wrestle with beach ban". China View TV. 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Abram, David (1997). Goa: The Rough Guide. Rough Guides. p. 46. ISBN 9781858282756.
- "Bali au Naturel". Retrieved 2016-02-09.
- "Laki Uma Villa". Naturistdirectory.com. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "חוף נווה מדבר - main". Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- "Floating in the Dead Sea". Active Naturists. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 2016-03-23.
- "Welcome to the Ashram in the desert". Desertashram.co.il. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "Nude Beach - Kadzhi Say vil., Ysyk-Köl". Foursquare.com. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "Reports and Information - Asia/Pacific". Net Nude. Retrieved on September 1, 2014.
- "Friday Island Paradise". Naturistholiday.info. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Home". Fridays Island. Retrieved on September 1, 2014.
- "Chan Resort - Most Naturist Friendly Resort in Thailand". Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- "Oriental Village Naturist Resort in Thailand - Chiang Mai". OrientalVillage. Retrieved 25 December 2014.
- "Phuan Naturist Village". phuannaturistvillage.com.
- Jerlyn Ng (25 June 2015). "Get Naked: Top (And Topless) Places In Asia to Bare It All". TripZilla.