List of social nudity places in Oceania
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011)|
Australian Capital Territory
- Kambah Pool, ACT
New South Wales
In NSW the following are beaches used by naturists:
- Armands Beach, Bermagui, Sapphire Coast
- Belongil Beach, Byron Bay
- Birdie Beach, Lake Munmorah
- Cobblers Beach, Mosman, Sydney Harbour
- Curracurrang, Royal National Park
- Lady Bay Beach, Watsons Bay, Sydney Harbour (name changed in 1977 from Lady Jane Beach)
- Little Congwong Beach, La Perouse
- Little Jibbon Beach, Royal National Park
- Marley Beach, Royal National Park
- Obelisk Beach, Mosman, Sydney Harbour
- Ocean Beach, Royal National Park
- Samurai, One Mile
- Werrong Beach, Royal National Park
The following beaches and resorts are legally nudist or clothing optional beaches:
- Near Byron Bay, the beach adjacent to the Tyagarah Nature Reserve, south of the picnic area at the end of Grays Lane, has been designated a ‘clothes optional beach’ (nudist beach) by Byron Shire Council.[a]
- Rosco Club Incorporated
- BB at Byron Bay Luxury Naturist Retreat (Affiliated ANF)[b]
- Casuarina Beach, Darwin
Until recently,[when?] there were no legal nude beaches in Queensland. However, following a successful appeal from Ken Wenzel, a Sunshine Coast artist and nudist, the Queensland Summary Offences Act 2005 has been ruled not to apply to licensed free beaches.[clarification needed] The Queensland Labor state government and the Sunshine Coast Regional Council have said that they will now consider any approaches for legal nude beaches in Queensland.
Current quasi-legal beaches are:
- Alexandria Bay (known as "A Bay") near Noosa is a popular spot with nudists and arguably the most tolerated nude beach.
- Bribie Island - Remote beaches on Bribie were once popular with nudists, though Moreton Bay rangers as well as police now regularly patrol this remote island.
The following beaches in South Australia are used by nudists:
- Baker's Beach[c] (not legal, be discreet)
- Green's Beach
- 7-mile Beach
- Sunnyside North Beach, Mount Eliza, Port Philip Bay on the Mornington Peninsula
- Point Impossible Beach, Torquay, West Coast
- Southside Beach, near Bells Beach, West Coast
Previously listed as clothes-optional beach:
- Campbell's Cove, near Werribee South
The following are not legal nudist beaches but are used by nudists:
- North Swanbourne beach
- Warnbro Beach, Rockingham
- Mindalong Beach, Bunbury
- Mauritius Beach, Exmouth[d]
- East Pretty Pool, Port Hedland[e]
- Ten Mile Lagoon, Esperance
The following beaches are used by naturists, but nude bathing may not be legally protected:
- Public nudity is illegal in Fiji, but nude sunbathing is legal on resorts.
- Toplessness is allowed here, unlike most parts of the South Pacific, even though there are no official nudist beaches. Bottomlessness is usually seen in private or hard-to-find beaches, but it can still happen in public beaches.
- Little Palm Beach - Waiheke Island
- Rarawa Beach - Northland
- Uretiti Beach - Northland
- Peka Peka Beach - Kapiti Coast
- Breaker Bay - Wellington
- Ototoka Beach - Wanganui
- Papamoa Beach - Bay of Plenty
- Guysers Gaystay B&B (for men) - Rotorua
- St Leonards Beach - Auckland
- Orpheus Bay - Auckland
- Herne Bay - Auckland
- Spencer Park Beach - Christchurch
- Taylors Mistake Beach - Christchurch
- Waimairi Beach - Christchurch
Notes and references
- Location of nude beach at Tyagarah Nature Reserve
- BB at Byron Bay
- Baker's beach location
- Location of Mauritius Beach, Exmouth
- Location of East Pretty Pool
- Way, Peter (19 October 2015). "Swimmers go wild over best bushland waterholes". dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Smith, Errol (28 October 2014). "Increasingly popular Birdie Beach may get surf patrols". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- "Tyagarah Nature Reserve". NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Kathy Sundstrom (25 October 2014). "Nudists left dangling over Alexandria Bay petition". Sunshine Coast Daily. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- "SA Memory - Govt. makes bathing in nude legal at Maslins". The State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- "Aussie Naturists - Nude Beaches". Aussie Naturists. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- Henly, Susan Gough (29 November 2008). "Waves of fancy: Victoria's best beaches". WA Today. Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "Nude Beaches in Victoria". Onlymelbourne.com.au. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "Council dubbed 'wowsers' for stripping nude beach of status". ABC News. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "More nude beaches to boost tourism: totaltravel.com survey". The Daily Telegraph. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 2014-11-07 – via PerthNow.
- Roslyn Hidding (7 January 2011). "Council rejects concerns over nudist beach". Weekend Courier. Retrieved 2014-11-07 – via in my Community.
- "Exmouth Visitor Centre - The Beautiful Beaches of Ningaloo Reef". Exmouth Visitor Centre. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Gray, Laura (2007), Municipal Inventory of Heritage Place (PDF), p. 17
- Short, Andrew D. (2005). Beaches of the Western Australian Coast - Eucla to Roebuck Bay: A Guide to Their Nature, Characteristics, Surf and Safety. Sydney University Press. pp. 102–. ISBN 978-0-9586504-3-4.
- "Being Nude in Fiji? - Fiji Forum". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "About Tahiti and her capital city Papeete : Tahiti Sun Travel". Papeete.com. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- "Nude Beaches New Zealand". Retrieved 2015-03-29.
- "Lets Get Naked: Nude Beaches in New Zealand". Retrieved 2015-03-29.
- "Free Beaches NZ Inc". Retrieved 2015-03-29.