List of social nudity places in Oceania
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Australian Capital Territory
- Kambah Pool, ACT
New South Wales
The following beaches and resorts in NSW are legally nudist or clothing optional:
- Armands Beach, Bermagui, Sapphire Coast
- Near Byron Bay, the beach adjacent to the Tyagarah Nature Reserve, south of the picnic area at the end of Grays Lane, has been designated a ‘clothes optional beach’ (nudist beach) by Byron Shire Council.[a]
- BB at Byron Bay Luxury Naturist Retreat (Affiliated ANF)[b]
- Gypsy Falls
- Lady Bay Beach, Watsons Bay, Sydney Harbour (name changed in 1977 from Lady Jane Beach)
- Cobblers Beach, Mosman, Sydney Harbour
- Kiata Club
- Naturi Club
- Obelisk Beach, Mosman, Sydney Harbour
- River Island Nature Retreat
- Rosco Club Incorporated
- Samurai Beach, One Mile
- Twin Falls
- Werrong Beach, Royal National Park
The following beaches are used by naturists, but nude bathing may not be legally protected:
- Belongil Beach, Byron Bay
- Kings Beach, Broken Head, near Byron Bay
- Birdie Beach, Lake Munmorah
- Curracurrang, Royal National Park
- Little Congwong Beach, La Perouse
- Little Jibbon Beach, Royal National Park
- Marley Beach, Royal National Park
- Ocean Beach, Royal National Park
- Seven Mile Beach, Seven Mile Beach National Park
- Washaway Beach, Sydney Harbour National Park
- Casuarina Beach, Darwin
There is no legal nude beach in Queensland. This was restated in April 2016 following another petition to the Labor State Government who said they would not approve a nudist beach. Police Minister Bill Byrne on May 2nd 2016 rejected two attempts - a paper petition with 527 signatures and an online petition bearing 946 names - to create a "clothing optional beach". Petitioners wanted a beach "for the recreational use of those who wish to sunbathe or swim nude without the fear of prosecution". Minister Byrne said the State's Public Safety Business Agency advised Queensland's wilful exposure laws were designed to protect citizens and keep them safe.. "As such, I can advise that the Queensland government has no plans to change the current legislation dealing with wilful exposure, therefore the designation of a clothing optional beach is not supported at this time."
Queensland is the only mainland state in Australia that has no legal nude beaches.
Current unofficial beaches are:
- Alexandria Bay (known as "A Bay") near Noosa is a popular spot with nudists and arguably the most tolerated nude beach.
- Bribie Island - Remote beaches on Bribie were once popular with nudists, though Moreton Bay rangers as well as police now regularly patrol this remote island.
- Buchan beach, 27 kilometres (17 mi) north of Cairns.[c]
- Cow Bay, two hours north of Cairns
The following resorts are naturist or clothing optional:
- Cooroy Colony
- Eagles View
- Elephant Rock
- Savannah Park
The following beaches in South Australia are used by nudists:
- Maslin Beach
- Ocean Beach near Robe
- Pelican Point, Barmera
- Murrippi Beach, near Whyalla
- Point Drummond, Eyre Peninsula (not legal)
Tasmania Police in February 2016 said that it was illegal to swim or be in a public place without appropriate attire and patrols at Seven Mile Beach would be increased in response to the complaints.
Nudists use the following beaches:
- 7-mile Beach
- Baker's Beach[d]
- Green's Peninsula Beach
- Nude Beach – section of beach naturally secluded by a rocky outcrop, beyond the south-western end of Hinsby Beach, Taroona [e]
- Sunnyside North Beach, Mount Eliza, Port Philip Bay on the Mornington Peninsula
- Point Impossible Beach, Torquay, West Coast
- Southside Beach, near Bells Beach, West Coast
Previously listed as clothes-optional beach:
- Campbell's Cove, near Werribee South. Campbells Cove had clothing-optional status removed by Wyndham City Council in July 2016.
The following are not legal nudist beaches but are used by nudists:
- North Swanbourne beach
- Warnbro Beach, Rockingham [f]
- Mindalong Beach, Bunbury
- Mauritius Beach, Exmouth[g]
- East Pretty Pool, Port Hedland[h]
- Ten Mile Lagoon, Esperance
The following resort is Naturist:
The following beaches are used by naturists, but nude bathing may not be legally protected:
- Toplessness is allowed in French Polynesia, unlike most parts of the South Pacific, even though there are no official nudist beaches. Bottomlessness is usually seen in private or hard-to-find beaches, but it can still happen in public beaches.
There is no law prohibiting nakedness in public. In cases of ‘public nakedness’ the police go to the Summary Offences Act 1981 and consider, S27 Obscene/Indecent exposure; S4 Offensive behaviour; or S4 Disorderly behaviour.
In 1991 an appeal to the High Court won and determined that the legal definition of 'offensive' was not met by mere nakedness, even in the presence of children, on the grounds that a reasonable person would "regard the conduct... as inappropriate, unnecessary, and in bad taste, but not arousing feelings of anger, disgust, or outrage." There had to be 'intent to offend'. Public nudity on beaches is generally not enforceable. There have been a number of successful legal challenges to being naked in a public area, including cycling and running, so long as there was no intent to offend. 
- Allans Beach, Dunedin[i]
- Breaker Bay, Wellington[j]
- Doctors Point Beach, Dunedin[k]
- Fitzpatrick Bay, Auckland[l]
- Herne Bay, Auckland
- Ladies Bay, Saint Heliers, Auckland
- Little Palm Beach, Waiheke Island
- Mapoutahi Cove, Dunedin[m]
- Matarangi (Eastern end by rocks), Coromandel
- Orpheus Bay, Auckland
- Ototoka Beach, Whanganui
- Papamoa Beach, Tauranga [n]
- Peka Peka Beach, Kapiti Coast [o]
- Pohutukawa Bay (Longbay), North Shore, Auckland
- Rarawa Beach near Ngataki, Northland
- Sandfly Bay, Dunedin[p]
- Smaills Beach, Dunedin[q]
- Spencer Park Beach, Christchurch
- St Leonards Beach, Auckland
- Taylors Mistake Beach, Christchurch[r]
- Uretiti Beach, Northland[s]
- Waimairi Beach, Christchurch
- Warrington Beach, Dunedin[t]
- Whareakeake (Murdering Beach), Dunedin[u]
- Auckland Counties Sun Club, Auckland
- Auckland Naturist Orewa, Auckland
- Auckland Outdoor Naturist Club, Auckland
- Autumn Farm, Golden Bay
- Bay of Plenty Sun Club, Whakatāne
- Guysers Gaystay B&B (for men), Rotorua
- Hawkes Bay Outdoor Leisure Club, Napier
- Katikati Naturist Park, Bay of Plenty
- Manawatu Naturist Club, Palmerston North
- Nelson Sun Club, Nelson
- Orchard Sun Club, Sutton, Dunedin
- Pineglades Naturist Club, Rolleston[v]
- Rotota Sun Club, Rotorua
- South Canterbury Sun Club, Geraldine
- Southern Naturally, Invercargill
- Wai-natur Naturist Park, Blenheim
- Wellington Naturist Club, Te Mārua, Upper Hutt[w]
- Woodside Park/Waikato Outdoor Society, Hamilton
- Location of nude beach at Tyagarah Nature Reserve
- BB at Byron Bay
- location of Buchan Beach
- Baker's beach location
- Location of Warnbro Beach, Warnbro
- Location of Mauritius Beach, Exmouth
- Location of East Pretty Pool
- Allans Beach, Dunedin
- Breaker Bay, Wellington
- Doctors Point Beach, Dunedin
- Fitzpatrick Bay, Auckland
- Mapoutahi Cove, Dunedin
- Papamoa Beach, Tauranga
- Peka Peka Beach, Kapiti Coast
- Sandfly Bay, Dunedin
- Smaills Beach, Dunedin
- Taylors Mistake Beach, Christchurch
- Uretiti Beach, Northland
- Warrington Beach, Dunedin
- Whareakeake (Murdering Beach), Dunedin
- Pineglades Naturist Club
- Wellington Naturist Club
- Way, Peter (19 October 2015). "Swimmers go wild over best bushland waterholes". dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Dobney, Chris (26 October 2017). "Byron's clothing optional beach gets a reprieve". Echonetdaily. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "Tyagarah Nature Reserve". NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Phillip Tang (3 December 2014). "The best nudist beaches in Australia". Lonely Planet.
- Smith, Errol (28 October 2014). "Increasingly popular Birdie Beach may get surf patrols". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-08-15.
- Kathy Sundstrom (25 October 2014). "Nudists left dangling over Alexandria Bay petition". Sunshine Coast Daily. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- "SA Memory - Govt. makes bathing in nude legal at Maslins". The State Library of South Australia. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2013.
- KEMPTON, HELEN (16 February 2016). "Nudity not on at Seven Mile Beach". themercury.com.au. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Aussie Naturists - Nude Beaches". Aussie Naturists. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Going nude could be a new opportunity". The Advocate. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
- "Taroona News". Taroona Community Association. 1 July 2019. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- Henly, Susan Gough (29 November 2008). "Waves of fancy: Victoria's best beaches". WA Today. Archived from the original on 1 March 2009. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "Nude Beaches in Victoria". Onlymelbourne.com.au. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- "Council dubbed 'wowsers' for stripping nude beach of status". ABC News. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 2016-01-13.
- "More nude beaches to boost tourism: totaltravel.com survey". The Daily Telegraph. 7 April 2009. Retrieved 2014-11-07 – via PerthNow.
- Roslyn Hidding (7 January 2011). "Council rejects concerns over nudist beach". Weekend Courier. Retrieved 2014-11-07 – via in my Community.
- Schmitt, Vanessa (5 August 2016). "Warnbro: naturists say perverts at nude beach giving all users a 'bad rap'". Community News Group. Retrieved 2016-08-05.
- "Exmouth Visitor Centre - The Beautiful Beaches of Ningaloo Reef". Exmouth Visitor Centre. Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Gray, Laura (2007), Municipal Inventory of Heritage Place (PDF), p. 17
- Short, Andrew D. (2005). Beaches of the Western Australian Coast - Eucla to Roebuck Bay: A Guide to Their Nature, Characteristics, Surf and Safety. Sydney University Press. pp. 102–. ISBN 978-0-9586504-3-4.
- "Welcome to Sunseekers!". Sunseekers Nudist Club.
- "Sunseekers Nudist Club | Mundaring Visitor Centre | Perth Hills". www.mundaringtourism.com.au. Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "Being Nude in Fiji? - Fiji Forum". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 2013-12-15.[better source needed]
- Ceramalus v Police, AP No 76/91 (High Court of New Zealand 5 July 1991).
- "Nude Beaches New Zealand". Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- "Free Beaches NZ Inc". Retrieved 2015-03-29.
- "Naturist Clubs in New Zealand's North Island". Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- "Naturists and Nudists on New Zealand's South Island". Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Coates, Joe (28 January 2018). "The Best Nudist Beaches in New Zealand". culture trip. Retrieved 28 November 2019.