List of songs in Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s
Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s in Europe), is a music video game developed by Harmonix and published by RedOctane and Activision in 2007 for the PlayStation 2 console. The game is considered an expansion of the Guitar Hero series and is part of Activision's goal to expand the series into genre or band-specific titles. Rocks the 80s was sold without a peripheral, unlike Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II which were sold in a bundle with a guitar controller.
The gameplay in Rocks the 80s is the same as the gameplay in the Guitar Hero series. The player uses a guitar-shaped controller, with five fret buttons, a strum bar, and a whammy bar, to play along with virtual notes as they scroll on the game screen. The songs can be played across four different difficulty levels in Career mode (presented in a progressive series of tiers), Quickplay mode, and both competitive and cooperative modes. Each tier consists of four songs and one encore song; during Career mode, the player must complete three or four songs in that tier depending on their chosen difficulty level, and then complete the encore song before they can move onto the next tier.
Rocks the 80s features a set list consisting of thirty songs in the main Career mode. As implied by the game's title, all the songs were created during the 1980s (except for one that parodies works of the 1980s). Most songs in Rocks the 80s are cover versions of the original title created by WaveGroup Sound, though there are some master recordings. Each song features the main guitar track as well as a bass track that can be played in practice or cooperative modes. Unlike previous Guitar Hero games, there are no bonus tracks in Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s. Bow Wow Wow's "I Want Candy" was originally announced for the game but was ultimately removed; no reason for its removal has been stated by RedOctane.
|Year||Song title||Artist||Master recording?||Tier|
|1989||"18 and Life"||Skid Row||No||
1. Opening Licks|
|1988||"Ain't Nothin' But a Good Time"c||Poison||No||5. Relentless Riffs|
|1984||"Ballroom Blitz"||Krokus||No||4. Return of the Shred|
|1984||"Balls to the Wall"||Accept||No||1. Opening Licks|
|1983||"(Bang Your Head) Metal Health"||Quiet Riot||No||1. Opening Licks|
|1987||"Bathroom Wall"||Faster Pussycat||No||5. Relentless Riffs|
|2003a||"Because, It's Midnite"||Limozeen||Yes||
2. Amp Warmers|
|1987||"Caught in a Mosh"||Anthrax||No||6. Furious Fretwork|
|1982||"Electric Eye"b||Judas Priest||Yes||6. Furious Fretwork|
|1982||"Heat of the Moment"||Asia||No||2. Amp Warmers|
|1981||"Hold on Loosely"||.38 Special||No||3. String Snappers|
|1983||"Holy Diver"||Dio||No||3. String Snappers|
|1982||"I Ran (So Far Away)"||A Flock of Seagulls||Yes||1. Opening Licks|
|1984||"I Wanna Rock"||Twisted Sister||Yesd||
3. String Snappers|
|1981||"Lonely Is the Night"||Billy Squier||No||5. Relentless Riffs|
|1980||"Los Angeles"||X||No||5. Relentless Riffs|
|1982||"No One Like You"||Scorpions||No||2. Amp Warmers|
|1981||"Only a Lad"||Oingo Boingo||No||4. Return of the Shred|
|1989||"Play with Me"||Extreme||No||
6. Furious Fretwork|
|1980||"Police Truck"||Dead Kennedys||No||6. Furious Fretwork|
|1989||"Radar Love"||White Lion||No||2. Amp Warmers|
|1984||"Round and Round"||Ratt||No||
4. Return of the Shred|
|1988||"Seventeen"||Winger||No||6. Furious Fretwork|
|1982||"Shakin'"||Eddie Money||No||2. Amp Warmers|
|1983||"Synchronicity II"||The Police||No||4. Return of the Shred|
|1980||"Turning Japanese"||The Vapors||No||3. String Snappers|
|1984||"The Warrior"||Scandal||Yes||3. String Snappers|
|1982||"We Got the Beat"||The Go-Go's||No||1. Opening Licks|
|1980||"What I Like About You"||The Romantics||No||4. Return of the Shred|
5. Relentless Riffs|
^c Poison's "Nothin' But a Good Time" is labeled in game as "Ain't Nothin' But a Good Time".
^d Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock" is featured as a re-recorded master track of the song, not the original album version.
In November 2007, The Romantics sued the creators of Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s, claiming the cover version of "What I Like About You" was virtually indistinguishable from their version, though Activision won a preliminary injunction in the following month to continue selling the game while the case is tried.
- Albiges, Luke (2007-08-02). "Guitar Hero: Rocks The '80s". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Lindsey, Brendon (2006-10-25). "Preview: Guitar Hero Interview". Gamernode.com. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- Vore, Bryan (2006-03-07). "RedOctane CEO Spills The Beans On Guitar Hero 2". Game Informer. Archived from the original on 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- Navarro, Alex (2007-07-23). "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s". GameSpot. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- Saltzman, Marc (2007-08-02). "Bang your head to '80s-themed 'Guitar Hero'". USA Today. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s Manual. Activision. 2007.
- Accardo, Sal (2007-06-28). "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s Final Set List Announced". Gamespy. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- Chalk, Andy (2007-10-18). "WaveGroup Announces The Guitar Hero Recordings". The Escapist. Retrieved 2008-06-08.
- Shea, Cam (2007-07-25). "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s AU Review". IGN. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Barr, Chris Scott (2007-06-03). "Confirmed - No bonus tracks for Guitar Hero 80s". Slashgear. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-03.
- Lee, Garnett (2007-05-28). "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (PS2)". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- Accardo, Sal (2007-05-29). "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s Preview". Gamespy. Retrieved 2007-08-13.
- Radd, David (2007-06-27). "Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s Final Tracks Revealed". GameDaily. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Accardo, Sal (2007-06-28). "Guitar Hero 80s Release Date, New Tracks Announced (PS2)". Gamespy. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Bulter, Susan (2007-11-21). "The Romantics Sue Activision Over 'Guitar Hero'". Billboard. Retrieved 2007-11-22.
- Faylor, Chris (2007-12-20). "Activision Wins First Round of Too-accurate Guitar Hero Cover Case". Shacknews. Retrieved 2007-12-20.