List of songs recorded by One Direction
British-Irish boyband One Direction have recorded material for five studio albums. Apart from their album songs, the band has several non-album singles, such as the charity singles "'Heroes'" and "Wishing on a Star".
"Forever Young", the cover that would be served as their winning single, was their first unofficial single. "What Makes You Beautiful", was released as their debut single and lead single from their debut studio album, Up All Night (2011). Both the album and the single marked the highest entries by a British band in Billboard by debuting at the first and twenty-eighth place respectively. "Gotta Be You", "One Thing", and "More than This" were the other three singles from their debut album with the first two being top-ten singles in the UK.
The band's second studio album Take Me Home was released in November 2012. The lead single "Live While We're Young" was released on 30 September 2012 and recorded the highest one-week opening sales figure for a song by a non-US artist. "Little Things" and "Kiss You", the succeeding singles, were also successes.
One Direction's third studio album, Midnight Memories, was released on 25 November 2013. The album was preceded by its lead single "Best Song Ever" and its critically acclaimed second single "Story of My Life". The album was a huge commercial success, debuting at number one on the UK Albums Chart and the Billboard 200. Their fourth studio album Four was released on 17 November 2014. It reached number one on the UK Albums Chart and the Billboard 200 following its release. "Drag Me Down", the lead single of their fifth album Made in the A.M. was released 31 July 2015. The single reached the top of the US iTunes song chart a mere 43 minutes after it was released. This was, however, not fast enough to break Ariana Grande's song "Problem"'s record of being the fastest song to ever climb to number one on the chart, needing only 37 minutes to do so.
The band's fifth album Made in the A.M. released on 13 November 2015.
Not included on the list is a song titled "Just Can't Let Her Go", which was leaked onto in the internet in mid-2013, allegedly being a track for Midnight Memories. The songwriting credits is registered within the ASCAP, which lists MoZella as one of the writers. The song was never officially released. In late 2014, it was revealed that the song was given to Isac Elliot, and the track was released in his second studio album Follow Me.
|Indicates single release|
|•||Indicates non-album single|
|Indicates song written by member(s) of the band|
Notes and references
- "One Direction Song Lyrics - By Album". MetroLyrics.
- Humphreys, Geraint. "Listen to One Direction's shelved winner's single 'Forever Young'". Pop Sirens. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- McGarry, Lisa. "X Factor: One Direction single 'What Makes You Beautiful' release date 12th September – already climbing charts!". Unreality TV. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- Caulfield, Keith. "One Direction Makes History With No. 1 Debut on Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Graham, Daniella. "One Direction fans go wild for new single Gotta Be You". Metro. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- McGarry, Lisa. "One Direction's new single One Thing was released this week...have you bought it yet?". Unreality TV.
- Longmire, Becca. "One Direction Announce New Single 'More Than This'". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "One Direction Announce Brand New Single 'Live While We're Young' Out 30th September 2012". Contactmusic.
- Tina Hart (21 October 2012). "One Direction achieve fastest-selling single by a UK act in the US". Music Week. United Kingdom: Intent Media. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Post, Latinos (14 August 2013). "One Direction New Album 2014 News: 'Just Can't Let Her Go' Leaks From Band's Upcoming Record [Audio]". Latinopost.com. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "ACE Repertory". Ascap.com. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Four (inlay cover). One Direction. Syco Records. 2014.
- "Made in the A.M. (Deluxe Edition)". iTunes.
- Midnight Memories (inlay cover). One Direction. Syco Records. 2013.
- Up All Night (inlay cover). One Direction. Syco Records. 2011.
- Take Me Home (inlay cover). One Direction. Syco Records. 2012.
- "One Direction Shares First Track Without Zayn Malik, 'Drag Me Down'". Billboard. U.S. 31 July 2015. Retrieved 31 July 2015.