List of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America
||The following text needs to be harmonized with text in North America#Countries.2C_territories.2C_and_dependencies. (February 2012)|
This is an alphabetical list of sovereign states and dependent territories in North America. This list uses the most inclusive definition of North America, which covers the landmass north of the Panama-Colombia border, and the islands of the Caribbean. North America is the northern continent of the Americas, situated in the Earth's northern hemisphere and almost totally in the western hemisphere. It is bordered on the north by the Arctic Ocean, on the east by the North Atlantic Ocean, on the southeast by the Caribbean Sea, and on the west by the North Pacific Ocean; South America lies to the southeast.
This section contains areas that are not sovereign states, but are not part of the sovereign states listed above. This includes dependent territories and integral areas of a primarily non-North American state.
Dependencies that are not internationally recognized, or not in effect, are listed in italics.
- Member of the Caribbean Community. The Caribbean Community also includes Guyana and Suriname.
- Member of the Central American Integration System.
- Member of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Certain U.S. government documents list these as unorganized, unincorporated territories of the United States. They are under Colombian administration as an integral part of Colombia, part of the San Andrés department. They are also claimed by Nicaragua, and in part by Jamaica and Honduras.
- Claimed by Haiti.
- Part of the Netherlands.
- Part of France.
- Part of Colombia.
- List of currencies in North America
- List of North American countries by GDP per capita
- List of North American countries by GDP PPP
- List of sovereign states and dependent territories in the Americas
- List of sovereign states and dependent territories in South America