List of world records in speed skating
|500 meters Progression||Pavel Kulizhnikov||Russia||33.98||20 November 2015||Salt Lake City||52.97 km/h (32.91 mph)||World Cup|
|500 meters × 2||Pavel Kulizhnikov||Russia||1:08.11||13–15 November 2015||Calgary||52.86 km/h (32.85 mph)||World Cup|
|1000 meters Progression||Shani Davis||United States||1:06.42||7 March 2009||Salt Lake City||54.20 km/h (33.68 mph)|
|1500 meters Progression||Shani Davis||United States||1:41.04||11 December 2009||Salt Lake City||53.44 km/h (33.21 mph)|
|3000 meters Progression||Eskil Ervik||Norway||3:37.28**||5 November 2005||Calgary||49.71 km/h (30.89 mph)|
|5000 meters Progression||Sven Kramer||Netherlands||6:03.32||17 November 2007||Calgary||49.54 km/h (30.78 mph)|
|10,000 meters Progression||Ted-Jan Bloemen||Canada||12:36.30||21 November 2015||Salt Lake City||47.60 km/h (29.58 mph)||World Cup|
(8 laps) Progression
|Netherlands||3:35.60||16 November 2013||Salt Lake City||51.73 km/h (32.14 mph)
|Sprint combination||Michel Mulder||Netherlands||136.790 points||26–27 January 2013||Salt Lake City|
|Small combination||Erben Wennemars||Netherlands||146.365 points||13 August 2005||Calgary|
|Big combination||Shani Davis||United States||145.742 points||18–19 March 2006||Calgary|
|One hour *||Erik Jan Kooiman||Netherlands||43,735.94 m||9 December 2015||Inzell||43.73 km/h (27.17 mph)|
- * unofficial world best
- ** During the course of a 5000 m race on 17 November 2013 in Salt Lake City, Russian skater Denis Yuskov recorded a 3000 m split time at 3:36.40. Yuskov also recorded a 3000 m time of 3:34.37 during a training race held on 2 November 2013. However, neither of these times count as the world record. The former because it was a split time, and not an official 3000 m race, the latter because it was ridden in a so-called 'quartet-start' (four riders on the track at the same time as opposed to the usual two) which means the time is ineligible to be counted as a world record under Article 221(2)(i) of the rules of the International Skating Union.
For comparison, the fastest known 400 m lap was skated by Pavel Kulizhnikov on 20 November 2015 in Salt Lake City during his 500-meter world record race in 24.31 seconds with an average speed of 59.23 km/h (36.80 mph).
|500 meters Progression||Lee Sang-hwa||South Korea||36.36||16 November 2013||Salt Lake City||49.50 km/h (30.76 mph)|
|500 meters × 2||Lee Sang-hwa||South Korea||1:12.93||15–16 November 2013||Salt Lake City||49.36 km/h (30.67 mph)|
|1000 meters Progression||Brittany Bowe||United States||1:12.18||22 November 2015||Salt Lake City||49.87 km/h (30.99 mph)||World Cup|
|1500 meters Progression||Heather Richardson-Bergsma||United States||1:50.85||21 November 2015||Salt Lake City||48.35 km/h (30.04 mph)||World Cup|
|3000 meters Progression||Cindy Klassen||Canada||3:53.34||18 March 2006||Calgary||46.28 km/h (28.76 mph)|
|5000 meters Progression||Martina Sáblíková||Czech Republic||6:42.66||18 February 2011||Salt Lake City||44.70 km/h (27.78 mph)|
|10,000 meters [WB] Progression||Martina Sáblíková||Czech Republic||13:48.33||15 March 2007||Calgary||43.46 km/h (27.00 mph)|
(6 laps) Progression
|Canada||2:55.79||6 December 2009||Calgary||47.60 km/h (29.58 mph)
|Sprint combination||Heather Richardson-Bergsma||United States||147.735 points||19–20 January 2013||Calgary|
|Mini combination||Cindy Klassen||Canada||155.576 points||15–17 March 2001||Calgary|
|Small combination||Cindy Klassen||Canada||154.580 points||18–19 March 2006||Calgary|
|100 meters *||Jenny Wolf||Germany||10.21||7 March 2009||Salt Lake City|
|One hour *||Carien Kleibeuker||Netherlands||40,569.68 m||9 December 2015||Inzell||40.56 km/h (25.20 mph)|
- * unofficial world best
- *** The average speed for the team pursuit races was calculated using a distance of 3098,88 meters for the men's race and 2324,16 meters for the women's race. The skaters only utilise the inner lane and the lap distance is accordingly less than the 400 meters of a regular lap skated with one inner curve and one outer curve.
Sea level world bests
Salt Lake City and Calgary, where currently all world records were set, are at relatively high altitude. Since speed skating is easier at high altitudes, skating statisticians keep separate lists for skating at (or close to) sea level, where times in Salt Lake City and Calgary are excluded.
|500 meters||Michel Mulder
|34.31||29 December 2013
26 January 2008
|500 meters × 2||Pavel Kulizhnikov||Russia||1:08.931||15 February 2015||Heerenveen|||
|1000 meters||Pavel Kulizhnikov||Russia||1:08.10||31 January 2016||Stavanger|||
|1500 meters||Denis Yuskov||Russia||1:43.36||13 February 2015||Heerenveen|||
|3000 meters||Wouter olde Heuvel||Netherlands||3:39.36||26 November 2011||Astana|||
|5000 meters||Sven Kramer||Netherlands||6:09.65||14 February 2015||Heerenveen|||
|10,000 meters||Jorrit Bergsma||Netherlands||12:44.45||18 February 2014||Sochi|||
|500 meters||Heather Richardson-Bergsma||United States||37.24||9 January 2015||Milwaukee|||
|500 meters × 2||Lee Sang-hwa||South Korea||1:14.59||30 November 2013||Astana|||
|1000 meters||Brittany Bowe||United States||1:13.81||11 January 2015||Milwaukee|||
|1500 meters||Ireen Wüst||Netherlands||1:53.31||30 December 2013||Heerenveen|||
|3000 meters||Martina Sáblíková||Czech Republic||3:58.11||5 March 2016||Berlin|||
|5000 meters||Martina Sáblíková||Czech Republic||6:49.31||11 February 2007||Heerenveen|||
- "Wolf verliert letzten Weltrekord" (in German). www.sport1.de. 29 December 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Evolution of the world hour record Women". speedskatingstats.com. 29 March 2005. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- nl:Ploegenachtervolging (schaatsen)
- Gorski, Chris (10 February 2014). "Why Speed Skaters Perform Better At Higher Elevation". Inside Science. American Institute of Physics.
- "Wüst läuft Flachlandweltrekord" (in German). www.sport1.de. 31 December 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2013.
- "Kulizhnikov and Bowe take 500m and 1500 titles on final day in Thialf". ISU. 15 February 2015. Retrieved 17 February 2015.
- "Essent ISU World Cup Astana". www.isu.org. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2015.