List of squash and pumpkin dishes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Squash and pumpkin dishes and foods
- Hobak-juk – a Korean variety of juk (porridge) made with pumpkin and glutinous rice flour. It is a smooth and naturally sweet porridge that is traditionally served to the elderly or recovering patients.
- Hobak-tteok – a Korean dish and variety of siru-tteok (steamed rice cake) made by mixing fresh or dried pumpkin with glutinous or non-glutinous rice flour, then steaming the mixture in a siru (rice cake steamer).
- Kabak tatlısı – a Turkish pumpkin dessert made by cooking peeled and cut pumpkin that has been sprinkled with sugar (candied pumpkin).
- Kadu bouranee – an Afghan and Turkish dish made by frying pumpkin with different spices
- Maraq – a Somali soup that is sometimes prepared using pumpkin
- Mashed pumpkin – a vegetable dish made by cooking or macerating the skinless flesh (pulp) of pumpkins and then mashing, straining, grinding, or puréeing until the desired consistency is achieved. It is traditionally served as a side dish, although it has many uses in cooking and baking.
- Pumpkin bread – a type of moist quick bread made with pumpkin.
- Pumpkin seed – a snack food typically consisting of roasted seeds, they are also used as an ingredient in some dishes, such as mole.
- Pumpkin seed oil – has an intense nutty taste and is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, it is sometimes used as a salad dressing. The typical Styrian dressing consists of pumpkin seed oil and cider vinegar. The oil is also used for desserts, giving ordinary vanilla ice cream a nutty taste.
- Spaghetti alla Nerano – an Italian pasta dish prepared using pasta, fried zucchinis and provolone del Monaco (or caciocavallo).
- Stuffed squash – consists of various kinds of squash or zucchini stuffed with rice and sometimes meat and cooked on the stovetop or in the oven.
Desserts and sweets
- Bundevara – a Serbian sweet pie made of rolled phyllo or similar to strudel, filled with sweetened grated pumpkin pulp and baked in an oven.
- Fakthong kaeng buat – a Thai dish consisting of pumpkin in coconut cream
- Poke – a dessert from the Cook Islands and French Polynesia that prepared using pumpkin or bananas.
- Picarones – a Peruvian dessert with principal ingredients of squash and sweet potato, it is served in a doughnut form and covered with syrup, made from chancaca (solidified molasses).
- Pumpkin-coconut custard – a dessert dish consisting of a coconut custard steam-baked in a pumpkin or kabocha
- Pumpkin pie – a dessert pie with a spiced, pumpkin-based custard filling
Soups and stews
- Quibebe – a winter squash stew from South America[a]
- Squash soup – a soup prepared using various types of squash as a primary ingredient
- Pumpkin ale and beer – the brewing of beer with pumpkin in the United States has been dated back to at least 1771.
This flour was prepared using ground pumpkin seeds
Stuffed zucchini topped with tomato
Pumpkin beer with a sugared glass rim
- Candy pumpkin
- List of fruit dishes
- List of gourds and squashes
- List of vegetable dishes
- Pumpkin pie spice
- "Quibebe . Stewed squash stew is called quibebe in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia and Uruguay.
- National Institute of Korean Language (30 July 2014). "주요 한식명(200개) 로마자 표기 및 번역(영, 중, 일) 표준안" (PDF) (in Korean). Retrieved 14 February 2017. Lay summary – National Institute of Korean Language.
- 강, 인희. "hobak-juk" 호박죽. Encyclopedia of Korean Culture (in Korean). Academy of Korean Studies. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- "hobak-tteok" 호박떡. Standard Korean Language Dictionary (in Korean). National Institute of Korean Language. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- Ingersoll, Jared. Sharing Plates: A Table for All Seasons. Millers Point, N.S.W.: Murdoch Books, 2007. ISBN 1-74045-963-6
- Krondl, Michael. The Great Little Pumpkin Cookbook. New york: Celestial Arts, 1999. ISBN 0-89087-893-5
- "Bread Machines For Dummies". Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- Forgione, Alfredo (2016). La migliore amica di Alfredo. Rogiosi. p. 73. ISBN 9788869501661.
- Petrosian, I.; Underwood, D. (2006). Armenian Food: Fact, Fiction & Folklore. Armenian Research Center collection. Yerkir Publishing. p. 120. ISBN 978-1-4116-9865-9. Retrieved September 3, 2018.
- NPR Staff (October 20, 2010). "Sweet Or Savory: Stuff, Bake And Devour A Pumpkin". NPR. Retrieved September 7, 2018.
- "The stuffed-pumpkin dish that will make vegetarians (and everyone else) happy this Thanksgiving". Washington Post. November 13, 2017. Retrieved September 7, 2018.
- ""Pumpkin in sweet coconut cream (Fak thong Keang Buat)"". Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Society of Ethnobotanists (India) (1989). Ethnobotany: Journal of Society of Ethnobotanists. M/S Deep. p. 5. Retrieved September 3, 2018.
- Real Academia Española (1969). Boletín de la Real Academia Española (in Spanish). Real Academia Española. p. 94. Retrieved September 3, 2018.
- Risen, Clay (11 October 2011). "The Divisive Pumpkin Ale". Atlantic Media. The Atlantic. Retrieved 17 July 2015.