List of structures built on top of freeways
The following is a list of structures built on top of freeways:
- A1: In Cantagallo, Tuscany, an Autogrill restaurant is built as an overpass across the highway. Diners have a view of the traffic below as they eat.
The Gate Tower Building is a 16-story office building in Fukushima-ku, Osaka, Japan. The tenant of floors five through seven is the Umeda Exit of the Ikeda Route of the Hanshin Expressway system.
- Interstate 10: In central Phoenix, a 1/2 mile section of Interstate 10 travels through the Deck Park Tunnel and is capped by the Margaret T. Hance Park. Aerial image
- Conlin-Whitehead Highway, Hartford: The Hartford Public Library is built on a cap over the Conlin-Whitehead Highway extending from Main Street to Prospect Street.
- Interstate 75/85 (Downtown Connector), Atlanta: The Civic Center MARTA station is located over the Downtown Connector at West Peachtree Street, making it the only subway station built over an Interstate Highway.
- Interstate 285, Atlanta: The fifth runway of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport runs above the interstate near Interstate 85.
- Illinois Tollway oases, multiple locations and Interstate Highways: Rest areas which extend over the Interstate Highway. There are six oases, located on the Tri-State Tollway (I-80, I-94 and I-294), Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (Interstate 90 in Illinois) and the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88). The four on the Tri-State Tollway and the one on the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway are built over the roadway, while the DeKalb Oasis on the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway is on the south side of the roadway. Customers are able to sit inside the oases and eat while traffic goes by beneath them. This type of development is common in the United Kingdom.
- I-290 has a former U.S Post Office over it. The building existed first and was designed for a future road that was built in the 1950s as the Congress Expressway (now the Eisenhower Expressway). Google Street View
- Interstate 64, just before the Kennedy Interchange, passes under Riverfront Plaza/Belvedere. The Belvedere is an 8-acre (32,000 m2) plaza with a concert stage, view of the Ohio River and Louisville's skyline, as well as a fountain and bronze statue of George Rogers Clark. Aerial image
- Interstate 90, Boston: The Prudential Tower and Copley Place in downtown are built over Interstate 90. A less-known fact about Interstate 90 is that it is built over what used to be the largest railroad corridor in New England; photos from the 1950s show huge rail yards where I-90 now comes into the city. Many of the oddities on I-90 are the result of deals struck by the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, Perini Corporation (which constructed the majority of the highway), and existing buildings at the time of construction. Aerial images: Prudential Tower Copley Place
- Interstate 195, Fall River: Government Center is built above the freeway.
- Interstate 90, Newton: a Shaw's supermarket (referred to by traffic reporters as the "Shaw's overpass" or the Supermarket overpass (formerly the "Star Market overpass")) and the Sheraton Newton Hotel (now a Crown Plaza hotel) are built atop I-90. Aerial images: Star Market Sheraton Newton Hotel
- Interstate 696 (Walter P. Reuther Freeway) is capped in three different locations with parks at ground level as it passes through Oak Park and Southfield.USGS Aerial photograph @ Google
- M-10 (John C. Lodge Freeway) in Detroit passes beneath Cobo Center, Detroit's expo and convention center.
- Interstate 394, Minneapolis: Three parking garages that were funded as part of the U.S. Route 12 improvement are constructed above the Eastern terminus of the road. They are the Seventh street ramp, Fifth Street Ramp, and Fourth Street Ramp.
- Interstate 670, Kansas City: The Bartle Hall Convention Center extends over the freeway in downtown Kansas City. Aerial image
- Interstate 64, St. Louis: A large bridge-like structure connects two ends of The St. Louis Science Center. People walking through the structure can see cars going by, and use radar guns to measure their speed. Also, cars driving below can see the atmospheric condition of the general area every morning, as it is posted on an electronic sign on the side. Aerial image
- Interstate 44, St. Louis: A pedestrian bridge over the interstate connects two buildings on the Maritz corporate campus
- Interstate 80, Kearney: The Great Platte River Road Archway Monument, a 1,500-ton structure spanning 308 feet (93.87 m), houses a museum dedicated to frontier culture.
- Interstate 80, Reno: A Walgreens store sits on top of a segment of Interstate 80 in downtown Reno. Aerial image
- Interstate 95, New York: The segment between the George Washington Bridge and the Harlem River is covered by various apartment buildings, a parking lot and the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. This section of Interstate 95 is often referred as "The Apartments". Aerial image with overlay
- Interstate 670, Columbus, Ohio: A portion of High Street that passes over 10 lanes of the Interstate just north of downtown Columbus is capped and bordered by buildings housing several stores. The design of the buildings borrowed from the old Union Station terminal that once stood at the site.
- Interstate 71, Cincinnati, Ohio: Several low-rise apartment buildings and Lytle Park are located above a 1,000-foot-long (300 m) tunnel that carries I-71 through Downtown Cincinnati connecting it to Fort Washington Way
- The Will Rogers Turnpike (I-44): The world's largest McDonald's is built over the turnpike near Vinita, Oklahoma, about three miles east of the mainline toll plaza.
- Interstate 66, Arlington: The parking garage next to Washington-Lee High School is built over top of 66 which is trenched at this point so as to reduce the noise levels in surrounding neighborhoods.
- Interstate 564, Norfolk: The runway of NAS Norfolk-Chambers Field passes directly over the western end of I-564. A C-5 Galaxy (the largest military aircraft in the western world) once got stuck on the overpass and motorists could view the gigantic aircraft as they drove underneath.
- Interstate 5, Seattle: the Freeway Park sits on top of Interstate 5, which connects downtown to the Capitol Hill and First Hill districts. The park is multi-level and as such, there are areas where visitors are able to watch traffic pass by. The park is connected to the Washington State Convention Center which is also built on top of I-5.
- Interstate 90, Mercer Island: the Park on the Lid sits atop the Mercer Island Lid.
- Washington State Route 520, Eastside: Three parks on lids in Yarrow Point and Clyde Hill, of which two also have bus stations in the median.
- Interstate 43, Milwaukee: The northbound lanes formerly ran underneath the Milwaukee County Courthouse Annex, which was torn down in spring 2006. Aerial image (2000)