List of submissions to the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
This is a list of submissions to the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film every year since the award was created in 1956. The award is handed out annually by the Academy to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films.
The deadline for all countries to send in their submissions is September 30, 2009. The submitted motion pictures must be first released theatrically in their respective countries between October 1, 2008, and September 30, 2009. For more details on the Academy's submission and nomination process for Best Foreign Language Film, see Rule Fourteen: Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award.
A shortlist of nine semi-finalists was announced January 20, 2010. The official nominees were announced on February 2, 2010. The winner of the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film was Argentina's The Secret in Their Eyes.
- Thirteen other countries (Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Iraq, Ireland, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Nepal, Palestinian Territories, Singapore, and Ukraine) that submitted films within the three previous years opted not to send a movie for Oscar consideration in 2009.
Controversies and changes
The Netherlands chose The Silent Army as their official submission on September 2, but the decision was appealed since many Dutch producers feared that it would be declined for having too much English-language dialogue. The Dutch Oscar committee reconvened the Oscar committee on September 21 to determine whether The Silent Army or a different film should represent the Netherlands. The committee came to the conclusion that the film met official Oscar requirements and has less than 50% English dialogue, and that the film would remain as the official Dutch Oscar submission. However, AMPAS concluded that The Silent Army was in fact ineligible because the version submitted to the Oscars was not the same as the version that played in Dutch cinemas. Winter in Wartime was selected to be the Dutch entry.
Serbia's Oscar selection committee originally voted to submit Here and There, which is set in Belgrade and New York City and features a mixed American and Serbian cast. After consulting with the Academy, Serbia changed its submission since the film appears to contain more than 50% English dialogue.
- List of Academy Award winners and nominees for Best Foreign Language Film
- 82nd Academy Awards
- List of Academy Award-winning foreign language films
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award". Rule Fourteen: Special Rules for the Makeup and Hairstyling Award. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2008-08-23.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Advance in Oscar Race". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. January 20, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-20.
- "List of Academy Awards Nominations". CNN.com. Archived from the original on 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- "Argentina's 'The Secret in Their Eyes' a thriller and thrilling win for Juan Jose Campanella". Los Angeles Times. 2010-03-08. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Advance in Oscar Race | Press Release | The Academy". Oscars.org. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-11-04. Retrieved 2009-10-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) /
- Cooper, Sarah (2009-09-02). "The Silent Army selected as Dutch Oscar submission | News | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- Mundell, Ian (2009-09-03). "Dutch to reconsider Oscar choice". Variety.
- "NOS Nieuws - Silent Army blijft Nederlandse Oscarinzending". Nos.nl. 2009-09-21. Archived from the original on 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Geen Wit Licht, maar Oorlogswinter naar Oscars | nu.nl/filmnieuws | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op". Nu.nl. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- Petkovic, Vladan (2009-09-23). "Serbia sends Saint George to do battle at the Oscars | News | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- 18 September 2009 (2009-09-18). "Academy Awards: foreign language entries | Calendar | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=62821. Retrieved October 14, 2009. Missing or empty