List of submissions to the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
This is a list of submissions to the 84th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film every year since the award was created in 1956. The award is presented annually by the Academy to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Nine shortlisted contenders will be revealed a week before the announcement of the Oscar nominations.
The deadline for all countries to send in their submissions was 3 October 2011. The submitted motion pictures must be first released theatrically in their respective countries between 1 October 2010 and 30 September 2011.
On 13 October, AMPAS announced that 63 countries had been accepted to participate in the competition for the 2012 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, including a first-time submission from New Zealand.
On 18 January 2012 the nine shortlisted entries were announced. Six days later, the five nominees were announced. The Iranian entry, A Separation, was announced as the winner at the 84th Academy Awards on 26 February 2012.
- Luxembourg announced that they had no eligible films, and would not be participating in the competition this year.
- Ukraine announced that they had convened an Oscar selection committee, but decided that no Ukrainian film met all the AMPAS requirements, meaning that they did not submit a film for the third year in a row.
Controversies and changes
- Albania originally submitted The Forgiveness of Blood, but it was rejected due to protest of Bujar Alimani, the director of Amnesty. He argued that The Forgiveness of Blood shouldn't be eligible to represent Albania due to its American director, Joshua Marston, and key American crew members. AMPAS disqualified it and Albania instead submitted Alimani's film.
- The Dominican Republic's submission was initially rejected because of the country's failure to submit the names of its selection committee members on time, but they appealed and won.
- Puerto Rico, which had been invited to participate in the Foreign Oscar race since 1986, tried to submit a film (Sonia Fritz's America) but was rejected, because of a new rule that doesn't allow films from US territories to compete in the Foreign Language Film category. The Puerto Rico Film Commission, which selects the Puerto Rican Oscar nominee, appealed to AMPAS to change its mind, citing its previous Oscar nomination in the category and the presence of non-independent territories like Greenland, Hong Kong and Palestine, but AMPAS refused to change its mind.
- The Slovenian entry Silent Sonata was disqualified because the Society of Slovene filmmakers (Društvo slovenskih filmskih ustvarjalcev, DSFU) neglected to officially submit the entry in time because of a misunderstanding within the organization. Therefore it wasn't included in the final list of entries.
- "History of the Academy Awards - Page 2". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 2008-06-22. Retrieved 23 June 2008.
- "Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award". 84th Academy Awards Rules for Distinguished Achievements in 2011. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "Foreign Language And Short Film Entries Due October 3 for 2011 Oscars". Oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar®". AMPAS. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- Bulbeck, Pip (2011-09-29). "'The Orator' Named New Zealand's First Foreign-Language Oscar Entry". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "New Zealand submits Samoan film to Oscars". BBC News. 2011-10-14.
- "9 Foreign Language Films Vie for Oscar". Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- "Oscars 2012: Nominees in full". BBC News. 2012-01-24. Retrieved 2012-01-24.
- "Oscar, Amnistia ne vend te Faljes se gjakut". Gazetastart. Retrieved 2011-07-10.
- "La Argentina ya tiene su candidata al Oscar: Aballay, el hombre sin miedo". La Nacion. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Markovics-Film Oscar-Kandidat für Österreich". orf.at. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "Rundskop wordt Belgische inzending voor Oscars". De Standaard.
- "BH movie "Belvedere" is an Oscar candidate". BH News. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Tropa de Elite 2 é o candidato brasileiro ao Oscar 2012". R7. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Bulgaria Picks 'Tilt' for Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film". Novinite. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Canada taps Monsieur Lazhar for Oscar race". CBC. 2011-09-21. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "'Violeta' is Chile Oscar entry". Variety. 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Hong Kong chooses A Simple Life for Oscar race, China selects The Flowers Of War". Screen International. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "'Colors' is Colombia Oscar entry". Variety. 2011-09-19. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Countries of former Yugoslavia choose Oscar candidates". Screendaily. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "Cuba elige filme "Habanastation" para competir por nominación al Oscar". Univisión. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- "Czech animated film Alois Nebel selected for Oscar nomination". Czech Happenings. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Barraclough, Leo (2011-09-23). "Denmark sends 'Superclasico' to Oscars". Variety. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- ""La Hija Natural" de Leticia Tonos rumbo al Oscar". Alucine. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- "Egyptian film El-Shouq to vie for Oscar". Ahram Online. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- Tizard, Will (2011-10-11). "Estonia offers up 'Angel' to Oscar". Variety. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- Barraclough, Leo (2011-09-14). "Kaurismaki's 'Le Havre' to rep Finland at Oscars". Variety. Retrieved 2011-09-14.
- Leffler, Rebecca (2011-09-16). "France Makes a 'Declaration of War' in Foreign-Language Oscar Race". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "Georgia elige "Chantrapas" para los Oscar". Retrieved 2011-10-01. Also verified with Georgian National Film Centre
- "Pina für Deutschland ins Oscar-Rennen". bild.de. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Oscar 2012: Attenberg Is Greece's Best Foreign Language Film Submission". altfg.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "Hong Kong makes it Simple". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- Kozlov, Vladimir (2011-09-01). "'The Turin Horse' Announced as Hungary's Oscar Entry". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Eldfjall framlag Íslands til Óskarsverðlauna". visir.is. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "'Adaminte Makan Abu' is India's entry for Oscar". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2011-09-23. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "Iran sends "Nader and Simin" for Oscars - Tehran Times". Tehran Times. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Kemp, Stuart (2011-09-21). "Irish Film & TV Academy Picks Juanita Wilson's 'As If I Am Not There' For Oscar Race". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-21.
- "'Footnote' wins top prize at Ophir Awards". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Oscar/ Terraferma di Crialese è il candidato italiano". ANSA. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Blair, Gavin J. (2011-09-08). "Japanese Entry for Foreign Language Oscar to Be 'Postcard'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Lebanon picks Labaki's Where Do We Go Now? for Oscar race". Screendaily. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- "Lithuanian film Back to Your Arms to compete for Oscar". The Baltic Course. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- Hecht, John (2011-09-22). "'Miss Bala' Crowned Mexico's Foreign-Language Oscar Submission". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Le film "Omar m'a tuer" candidat aux Oscars 2012". aufaitmaroc.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "Sonny Boy becomes Dutch Oscar submission=2011-09-02". Screen International.
- Roxborough, Scott (2011-09-01). "Sundance Winner 'Happy, Happy' to Represent Norway in Oscar Race". Hollywood Reporter.
- ""Octubre" es la cinta peruana prenominada para el Oscar 2012". Terra.com.pe. 2011-09-21.
- "'Babae sa Septic Tank' Oscar-bound". Manila Times. 2011-09-16.
- "Poland to Submit Agnieszka Holland's In Darkness for Oscars". indiewire.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- ""José e Pilar" na corrida aos Oscars". Jornal de Noticias. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- "Academy unveils 63 foreign Oscar entries". Variety. 2011-10-13. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- "Morgen by Marian Crisan is Romania's proposal to the Oscar in 2012". romania-insider.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- ""Цитадель" Михалкова выдвинута на "Оскар"". Penza. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Serbia submits their popular 'Montevideo Bog te video'". blic.rs. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- "邱金海动画片《辰巳Tatsumi》 报名奥斯卡最佳外语片奖". Zaobao. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- "Gypsy became the Slovak National Nomination for Oscar 2012 in the Best Foreign Language Film category". Slovak Audiovisual Information Centre. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- "Slovenija iz boja za oskarja izpadla, ker smo film pozabili prijaviti" (in Slovenian). RTV Slovenija. 2011-10-14. Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "Skoonheid: SA's Oscar entrant". Channel 24. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "South Korea submits The Front Line for Oscar race". Screendaily. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- ""PA NEGRE" REPRESENTARÁ A ESPAÑA EN LOS OSCAR". CBC. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Dawtrey, Adam (2011-09-07). "August's 'Beyond' enters Oscar race". Variety. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- ""Summer Games - Giochi d'Estate" représentera la Suisse aux Oscars". SwissInfo. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "'Seediq Bale' to vie for Oscars' best foreign film". focustaiwan. Retrieved 2011-09-07.
- "วธ.ส่งภาพยนตร์เรื่องคนโขน เข้าชิงรางวัลออสก้า สาขาภาพยนตร์ต่างประเทศ ประจำปี 2555 ที่สหรัฐอเมริกา". National News Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- "Bir Zamanlar Anadolu'da Oscar'a aday adayı oldu". Haberturk. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Dawtrey, Adam (2011-10-13). "U.K. enters 'Patagonia' for Oscars". Variety. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- ""La Casa Muda" representa a Uruguay para el premio Oscar". El Pais.com.uy. Retrieved 2011-09-27.
- ""El rumor de las piedras" buscará un lugar en los Oscar". eluniversal.com. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "'Khát vọng Thăng Long' đại diện VN dự Oscar 2012". VNExpress.net. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Mundell, Ian (2011-09-16). "Belgium to enter 'Rundskop' in Oscar race". Variety. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- "Оскар залишився без українських фільмів". fakty.ictv. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Holdsworth, Nick (2011-10-09). "Albanian Oscar entry disqualified". Variety. Retrieved 2011-10-09.
- "Oscar rejects". Variety. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2011-10-07.