List of teams and cyclists in the 1986 Tour de France
In June, 23 teams had requested to start in the 1986 Tour. The Tour direction accepted 21 applications, so a total of 21 teams participated in the 1986 Tour de France. The two teams whose application was denied were Skala-Skil and Miko. Each team sent a squad of ten riders, which meant that the race would start with a peloton of 210 cyclists, a record setting total. From the 210 riders that began this edition, 132 made it to the finish in Paris.
7-Eleven became the Tour's first team from the United States, with a squad consisting of eight Americans, one Canadian and one Mexican. Jim Ochowicz, 7-Eleven's founder and manager, met with the Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO) and persuaded them to invite his team. In the Spring, the team withdrew from competition in Europe (missing the opportunity to become the first American team in the history of the Vuelta a España) due to the United States conflict with Libya, losing out on much needed competitive racing unavailable in the United States.
- La Vie Claire
- Carrera Jeans–Vagabond
- Système U
- Café de Colombia–Varta
- RMO–Cycles Méral–Mavic
- Gis Gelati
|No.||Starting number worn by the rider during the Tour|
|Pos.||Position in the general classification|
|Time||Deficit to the winner of the general classification|
|Denotes the winner of the general classification|
|Denotes the winner of the points classification|
|Denotes the winner of the mountains classification|
|Denotes the winner of the young rider classification|
|Denotes the winner of the intermediate sprints classification|
|Denotes the winner of the combination classification|
|Denotes the winner of the team classification|
|Denotes the winner of the combativity award|
|DNF||Denotes a rider who did not finish|
|NP||Denotes a rider who was a non-participant|
|AB||Denotes a rider who abandoned|
|HD||Denotes a rider who was outside the time limit (French: Hors Delai)|
|Age correct as of 4 July 1986, the date on which the Tour began|
By starting number
The 210 riders that competed in the 1986 Tour de France were represented by 20 different countries.
|Country||No. of riders||Finishers||Stage wins|
|Belgium||30||22||5 (Pol Verschuere, Ludo Peeters, Eddy Planckaert, Rudy Dhaenens, Frank Hoste)|
|France||47||34||5 (Thierry Marie, Bernard Hinault ×3, Jean-François Bernard)|
|Italy||21||8||3 (Guido Bontempi ×3)|
|Netherlands||21||11||1 (Johan van der Velde)|
|Spain||30||20||5 (Pello Ruiz Cabestany, Jose-Angel Sarrapio, Pedro Delgado, Eduardo Chozas, Julián Gorospe)|
|Switzerland||9||7||2 (Niki Rüttimann, Erich Maechler)|
|United States||10||5||2 (Davis Phinney, Greg LeMond)|
- Ceulen, Bennie (11 June 1986). "Levitan weigert ploeg Kuiper voor de Tour". Limburgsch Dagblad (in Dutch). Koninklijke Bibliotheek. p. 27. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- "The starters". The history of the Tour de France. Issy-les-Moulineaux, France: Amaury Sport Organisation. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- "73ème Tour de France 1986" (in French). Memoire du cyclisme. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- Dauncey & Hare 2003, p. 214.
- "Stage 23 Cosne > Paris". The history of the Tour de France. Issy-les-Moulineaux, France: Amaury Sport Organisation. Archived from the original on 9 July 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
- McGann & McGann 2008, p. 163.
- "American invasion of the Tour de France". Cyclingnews.com. Future plc. July 13, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- "73ème Tour de France 1986". Memoire du cyclisme. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012.
- "The Tour, Year 1986, Stage 12 Bayonne > Pau". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Clasificaciones Oficiales" [Official Classifications]. El mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "La Vie Claire 1986". Cycling archives. Retrieved 18 July 2016.
- "Kas 1986". Cycling Archives. Retrieved 18 July 2016.