List of technology centers
This is a list of technology centers throughout the world. Government planners and business networks often incorporate "silicon" or "valley" into place names to describe their own areas as a result of the success of Silicon Valley in California. Metrics may be applied to measure qualitative differences between these places, including:
- How much and to what extent public and/or private research and development (R&D) funds are spent in the zones
- What percentage of local employment is technology related
- If the zone is mainly government funded or is mainly corporate driven (or is it a mix of both)
- If mainly corporate, how much revenue and profit and which corporations have headquarters there
- If mainly corporate, how much venture capital has been made available to companies in the zone
- What supporting higher educational institutions (e.g., universities or colleges) are located in nearby
Globally prominent clusters
- Silicon Valley: Originating in Stanford University (Palo Alto and Menlo Park), and spreading south towards San Jose, California, and suburbs. San Francisco and nearby areas including Berkeley and Oakland are technically not part of Silicon Valley but have seen growth in industries such as web development since the 90s and venture capital. Silicon Valley, home to two of the largest Big Four tech companies, Apple and Google, has maintained dominance for decades in core industries such as microprocessor development as well as software and apps development
- Greater Seattle: one of the largest tech clusters in the world, home to two of the largest & wealthiest Big Fours: Microsoft and Amazon, as well as Boeing, Nintendo and most major tech players have significant presence and research centers in Greater Seattle. University of Washington and Puget Sound vicinity is also home to a large numbers of notable companies & startups in Life Sciences, biotechnology, medical, video/online game, aerospace, aviation, fintech, technology investment, funds, venture capital, as well as various research & technology centers
- Cambridge Cluster: The name given to the region around Cambridge, England, which is home to a large cluster of high-tech businesses focusing on software, electronics and biotechnology, among others AstraZeneca. Many of these businesses have connections with the University of Cambridge, and the area is now one of the most important technology centres in Europe
- IT cluster Rhine-Main-Neckar, Germany: Europe's largest software cluster, is globally dominant in business software, IT security research and biopharmaceuticals
- Geneva, Switzerland is globally dominant in particle physics at CERN and various frontier scientific & technology research
- Dulles Technology Corridor is globally dominant in telecom, satellite, and defense industries
- Hsinchu Science Park: Greater Hsinchu City and Hsinchu County, Taiwan is the dominant area worldwide for pure-play semiconductor foundry market
- Silicon Alley is a portion of Manhattan, New York City, that encompasses Broadway, the Flatiron District, SoHo, and TriBeCa technology centers
- Silicon Wadi: An area with a high concentration of high-tech industries in the coastal plain in Israel.
- Eindhoven, The Netherlands is a leading area in the field of semiconductor manufacturing, stemming from the Eindhoven University of Technology, ASML and Philips.
- Konza Technology City: launched in 2013, and set to host business process outsourcing (BPO) ventures, a science park, and other facilities
Middle East and North Africa
- Campinas, São Paulo, São José dos Campos, São Carlos: The Silicon Valley of Brazil
- Porto Digital: Recife
- Canada's Technology Triangle with Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario: home to BlackBerry (formerly Research in Motion), Open Text, Kik Messenger, Desire2Learn, and the Canadian head office of Google; home to the Communitech HUB start-up incubator
- Greater Vancouver, British Columbia: home to Sony Pictures Imageworks, PMC-Sierra, Telus, Hootsuite, EA Canada, Vision Critical, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, Westport Innovations, Slack Technologies, Teradici and D-Wave Systems
- Markham, Ontario: home to the Canadian head offices of Sony, Avaya, IBM, Motorola, Toshiba, Lucent, Sun Microsystems, Apple, American Express and AMD Graphics Product Group
- Silicon Valley North: the National Capital Region around Ottawa, Ontario, Bayview Yards,—home to Mitel, Shopify, DragonWave, Alcatel Lucent, and Halogen Software
- Greater Toronto Area: specifically Mississauga and Brampton
- Cité Multimédia, Montreal
- Technoparc Montreal
- Parque Científico y Tecnológico Laguna Carén, Pudahuel, Santiago
- Parque Científico y Tecnológico Pacyt Bío Bío, Concepción
- Centro Antártico Internacional, Punta Arenas
- Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso, Valparaíso
- Automation Alley: Metropolitan Detroit, primarily Oakland County, Michigan
- Cummings Research Park: Huntsville, Alabama
- Denver Tech Center: Denver, Colorado
- Dulles Technology Corridor: Northern Virginia near Washington Dulles Airport
- Greater Seattle
- Golden Corridor: Near Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and Northwest Suburbs
- Greater Reno, Nevada
- Illinois Technology and Research Corridor: DuPage County, Illinois
- Optics Valley: Tucson, Arizona
- Research Triangle: Raleigh–Durham–Chapel Hill, North Carolina, centered on Research Triangle Park
- Route 128: Eastern Massachusetts
- Silicon Alley: New York City
- Silicon Beach: Playa Vista in West Los Angeles
- Silicon Hills: Austin, Texas and its suburbs
- Silicon Forest: Portland, Oregon
- Silicon Peach: Atlanta, Georgia
- Silicon Prairie: Metropolitan Dallas (primarily the northern region and its suburbs)
- Silicon Slopes: Salt Lake City, Utah including Utah County (Provo, Utah) and Summit County (Park City, Utah) and surrounding areas.
- Silicon Valley
- Tech Coast: broadly Southern California, Silicon Beach refers to emergent Santa Monica-LAX tech cluster.
- Tech Valley: The Capital District area of Albany, NY
- Telecom Corridor (an area in the Silicon Prairie): Richardson, suburb of Dallas, Texas
- Texas Medical Center: Houston, Texas
- Zonamerica, Metropolitan Area of Montevideo: The Silicon Valley of Uruguay
- Parque de las Ciencias, Canelones, Canelones, Uruguay
- WTC Montevideo, Buceo, Montevideo
- Aguada Park, Aguada, Montevideo
- Jing-Jin-Ji: Beijing-Tianjin-Shijiazhuang Hi-Tech Industrial Belt
- Chengdu, Sichuan: Chengdu Tianfu Software Park
- Dalian, Liaoning: Dalian Hi-tech Zone, Dalian Software Park
- Shenyang: Hunnan New Area
- Shenzhen: Shenzhen Hi-Tech Industrial Park
- Shanghai: Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park
- Software Technology Parks of India
- Bangalore: Electronics City, International Tech Park, Bangalore, Manyata Embassy Business Park: Bangalore
- Delhi IT Park : Delhi
- Pune: Cyber City, Hinjawadi, Magarpatta
- HITEC City: Hyderabad
- Knowledge Corridor: between Pune and Mumbai
- Cyber City, Gurgaon, Haryana: near Delhi
- Noida, Uttar Pradesh: DLF IT Park
- Chennai: IT Corridor, Mahindra World City, New Chennai, DLF SEZ, Automotive Corridor, EMS Corridor, SEZ Corridor, Chennai ITIR, Entertainment Corridor, SIPCOT IT Park, Tidel Park, Olympia Tech Park, International Tech Park, Chennai, Ramanujan IT City, Ambattur Industrial Estate, Guindy Industrial Estate, World Trade Center, Cybervale, EPIP, Irungattukottai Industrial Park, Sriperumbudur Industrial Park, Oragadam Industrial Growth Center, Ennore SEZ
- Sricity, Andhra Pradesh: near Tirupati
- IKP-Alexandria Biotech Knowledge Park: Hyderabad
- IT City, Lucknow
- MIHAN: Nagpur
- Cyberabad: Hyderabad
- Bhubaneswar: Infovalley, Odisha Biotech Park 
- Tel Aviv/Mediterranean Coastal Region: referred to as Silicon Wadi, an area with a high concentration of high-tech industries in the coastal plain in Israel. Israel as a whole country has a strong high-tech sector. The Silicon Wadi area covers much of the country, although especially high concentrations of hi-tech industry can be found in Tel Aviv and its metropolitan area, known as Gush Dan, including small clusters around the cities of Ra'anana, Petah Tikva, Herzliya, Netanya, the academic city of Rehovot and its neighbor Rishon LeZion. In addition, hi-tech clusters can be found in Haifa and Caesarea. Jerusalem also has significant high-tech establishments (Technology Park, Malha, Har Hotzvim and JVP Media Quarter in Talpiot). Another notable high-tech park is the Startup Village in Yokneam Illit. Yehud hosts Hewlett Packard Enterprise's software campus and other IT and high-tech companies.
- Kansai Science City (Keihanna Science City), on the borders of Kyoto, Osaka and Nara Prefectures
- Tsukuba Science City, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture
- Yokosuka Research Park (YRP), Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Technology Park Malaysia (TPM), Kuala Lumpur
- Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) / Cyberjaya, Selangor
- Selangor Science Park, Selangor
- Selangor Science Park 2, Selangor
- Subang Hi-Tech Industrial Park, Selangor
- FRIM-MTDC Technology Centre, Selangor
- UPM-MTDC Technology Centre, Selangor
- UKM-MTDC Technology Centre. Selangor
- UITM-MTDC Technology Centre. Selangor
- Penang (Known as "Silicon Valley of the East") 
- Penang Science Park, Penang
- Penang Cybercity, Penang
- MSC Cyberport, Johor
- Johor Technology Park, Johor
- Nusajaya Tech Park, Johor
- UTM-MTDC Technology Centre, Technovation Park, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Johor
- Kulim Hi-Tech Park (KHTP), Kedah
- National Science and Technology Park (NSTP)
- Arfa Karim Technology Park (former Software Technology Park): Lahore
- IT Media City: Karachi
- National Science Park: Islamabad
- Software Technology Park (1, 2, 3)
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines I & II, Laguna
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines III, Batangas
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines III, Batangas
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines IV, Bataan
- Cebu Light Industry Park, Cebu
- Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija
- Calamba Premiere International Park
- Riyadh Techno Valley, Riyadh
- Dhahran Techno-Valley, Dhahran
- King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Riyadh
- Daedeok Science Town, Daejeon
- Digital Media City, Seoul
- LG Science Park, Seoul
- Pangyo Techno Valley, Gyeonggi
- Samsung Town, Seoul
- Gumi Technology Industrial Park, Gumi, North Gyeongsang
- Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, North Gyeongsang
- Songdo, Incheon
- Teheran Valley, Seoul
- Central Taiwan Science Park: Changhua County, Nantou County, Taichung City and Yunlin County
- Southern Taiwan Science Park: Kaohsiung City and Tainan City
- Nankang Software Park: Taipei City
- Neihu High Tech Science Park: Taipei City
- Dubai Internet City, Dubai
- Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai
- Dubai Media City, Dubai
- Masdar City, Abu Dhabi
- BioWin: The Health Cluster of Wallonia
- GIANT: Grenoble (nanotechnology, particle physics, bioscience and renewable energy)
- Metz Science Park: Metz Technopole
- Toulouse: Toulouse Sud-Est: Agrobiopole, Labège-Innopole, Aerospace Valley
- Valbonne: Sophia Antipolis
- Villeneuve-d'Ascq: Technopôle Lille Métropole
- IT-Cluster Rhein-Main-Neckar, Frankfurt Rhine-Main and Rhine-Neckar
- Berlin: known as Silicon Allee, one of Europe's most dynamic technology, IT and startup centers
- Dresden (Silicon Saxony)
- Kaiserslautern (Silicon Woods)
- Dortmund (Ruhr Valley)
- Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania: BioCon Valley for its life science and biotechnology clusters
- Munich (Isar Valley)
- Western Pomerania (IT Lagoon)
- WISTA (Science and Technology Park in Berlin-Adlershof)
- Dublin (known as "Silicon Docks" or "The European Silicon Valley", due to its high number of technological EMEA centres)
- Science Park Amsterdam: Amsterdam
- High Tech Campus Eindhoven: Eindhoven
- Technopolis Innovation Park Delft: Delft
- Utrecht Science Park: Utrecht
- Akademgorodok, Novosibirsk
- Skolkovo Innovation Center, Skolkovo, Moscow Oblast
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology
- Innopolis, near Kazan'
- Grozăvești including Politehnica Campus, Regie Campus, Sema Park, Afi Park and Orhideea Offices
- Pipera including Pipera Park, Aviației Offices and Piața Pipera Offices
- Măgurele including the European laser technology institute
- Romexpo including Expozitiei Offices, Tipografiei Offices and Jiului Offices
- Militari including West Gate Offices
- Cluj Napoca
- Între Lacuri start-up offices
- Jucu technology park
- Palas-Sfântul Andrei Offices
- S200 technology park including Universitatea Campus
- Ford automotive park
- Vox Technology Park
- Dacia automotive park
- Oxford Science Park: Oxford
- Silicon Corridor: M4 corridor, Reading, Berkshire
- Silicon Fen: Cambridge
- Silicon Glen: in Central Scotland
- Silicon Gorge: Bristol
- Silicon Roundabout: London
- Silicon Spa: Leamington Spa
- Cambridge Norwich Tech Corridor
- UNIT.city: Kyiv
- Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh, Sydney, New South Wales
- Digital Harbour, Docklands, Melbourne, Victoria
- Macquarie Park, Sydney, New South Wales (including the Research Park, Macquarie University)
- Technology Park, Bentley, Perth, Western Australia (adjacent to Curtin University)
Places with "Silicon" names
- Silicon Cape: Cape Town, South Africa
- Silicon Lagoon: Lagos, Nigeria
- Silicon Mountain: Buea, Cameroon
- Silicon Savannah: Nairobi, Kenya
Middle East and North Africa
- Silicon Valley of the North: Ontario Highway 401 between Toronto and Waterloo A related area was also promoted as Canada's Technology Triangle.
- Silicon Valley North: Ottawa, Ontario, though questionable since the 2009 bankruptcy of Nortel and the 2008 pull-out of Dell's call centre
- Silicon Vineyard: Okanagan Valley, British Columbia
- Chilecon Valley: Santiago, Chile. The name was first coined by The Economist. Santiago is home of Start-Up Chile, the most important government sponsored accelerator worldwide.
- New Mexico Technology Corridor: The Rio Grande Valley from Santa Fe to Las Cruces that includes multiple small and large high-tech companies, defense contractors, military installations, and national laboratories.
- Philicon Valley (also known as "Silicon Valley Forge"): Area close to Philadelphia, in the suburbs of Valley Forge and Wayne
- Research Forest: The Woodlands, TX
- Silicon Alley: Originally a portion of Manhattan in New York City, specifically Broadway, the Flatiron District, SoHo, and TriBeCa. Now encompasses the general NYC tech sphere.
- Silicon Anchor: Norfolk, Va–Virginia Beach metropolitan area
- Silicon Basin: Columbus, Ohio
- Silicon Bayou: New Orleans, Louisiana
- Silicon Beach: Santa Monica, California and the Westside area of the Los Angeles metro, more specifically Culver City, Venice Beach, Westwood, Manhattan Beach, Malibu, Playa del Rey, and Marina del Rey; also used to refer to the San Diego area in the name of the 1980s software developer Silicon Beach Software
- Silicon Coast: Orange County, California
- Silicon Desert: Chandler, Arizona
- Silicon Forest: Portland, Oregon
- Silicon Harbor: Charleston, South Carolina; Stamford, Connecticut
- Silicon Hill: Washington, D.C.
- Silicon Hills: Austin, Texas
- Silicon Hollar: Boone, North Carolina
- Silicon Mountain: Front Range Urban Corridor, Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs)
- Silicon Peach: Atlanta, Georgia home to Georgia Institute of Technology as well as VMware Airwatch, Google ATL, Kabbage, Pindrop Security, and many venture capital firms
- Silicon Prairie
- Silicon Sandbar: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Silicon Shire: Eugene, Oregon
- Silicon Shore: Santa Barbara, California
- Silicon Slopes: Utah County and southern Salt Lake County, Utah
- Silicon Surf: Santa Cruz, California
- Silicon Valley: San Jose, California (the original "Silicon" namesake)
- Silicon Valley of the Sierras: Nevada County, California
- Silicotton Valley: Huntsville, Alabama
- Silicon Spuds: Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Silicon Island: Kyushu, Japan
- Silicon Peninsula: Dalian, China
- China's Silicon Valley: Shenzhen or Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Beijing, People's Republic of China (PRC).
- Silicon Valley of India (sometimes referred to as Silicon Plateau): Bangalore
- Silicon Valley of Taiwan: Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Silicon Valley of Hong Kong: Cyberport and Hong Kong Science Park
- Silicon Valley of the East: Bayan Lepas Free Industrial Zone, Penang, Malaysia
- Silicon Wadi: The coastal plain of Israel, stretching from Haifa to Tel Aviv and Rehovot and expanding inland to Jerusalem
- Teheran Valley: Gangnam District, Seoul, South Korea
- BioCon Valley: Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania
- Isar Valley: Munich, Bavaria
- Medical Valley: Erlangen, Bavaria
- Silicon Allee (English: Silicon Avenue): Berlin (incl. WISTA)
- Silicon Saxony: Dresden, Saxony, Elbe river valley around the city
- Silicon Woods: Kaiserslautern, Rhineland-Palatinate
- Silicon Islands: Patras with past and present companies like Atmel, Samsung, Citrix, Dialog Semiconductor, Think Silicon and Intel
- Silicon Docks: Dublin, Ireland. Contains the European headquarters of companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, and many others.
- SiliconFjord: Oslofjord region
- Russian Silicon Valley:
- Silicon Sloboda: Moscow, Russia
- Silicon Taiga: Akademgorodok, Russia
- Ticino Valley: Technology cluster in the Lugano area
- Cwm Silicon (Newport, Wales)
- Silicon Alley (Pink Lane, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England)
- Silicon Beach (Bournemouth, England)
- Silicon Canal (Birmingham, England): the area along the Digbeth Branch Canal from Aston Science Park, through Millennium Point to Digbeth.
- Silicon Corridor (the M4 corridor)
- Silicon Dock (Belfast)
- Silicon Fen (Cambridge, England)
- Silicon Forest (Newark, Nottinghamshire): Silicon Forest consists of various businesses from in and around the Newark and Sherwood area that specialise in technology and innovation.
- Silicon Glen (Central Belt, Scotland)
- Silicon Gorge (Bristol, England)
- Silicon Mall (London, England): the area between Pall Mall and Victoria in London
- Silicon Pier (Brighton, England)
- Silicon Roundabout: the area around Old Street Roundabout in London (East London Tech City)
- Silicon Shipyard (Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Middlesbrough)
- Silicon Spa (Leamington Spa, Warwickshire): Notable for a relatively high concentration of video game developers.
- Silicon Walk (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- Silicon Mallee (Adelaide, Australia; Mallee, an Australian aboriginal word for the land area around Adelaide covered by low, scrubby dwarf eucalyptus "mallee" vegetation)
- Silicon St, Sydney" An inner city colloquial district including Ultimo/Pyrmont along Harris St spanning 10 km2 from UTS to Google including Fishburners
- Silicon Beach: A term used by those in the Australian startup community to refer to the startup ecosystem within Australian cities, in particular by Meetup groups like Silicon Beach Sydney and Silicon Beach Adelaide
- Kerr, William R., and Frederic Robert-Nicoud. 2020. "Tech Clusters." Journal of Economic Perspectives, 34 (3): 50-76.
- Viva Tel Aviv!
- Chengdu Tianfu (Heavenly City) Software Park
- "Shanghai Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park". Archived from the original on 2007-08-11. Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- Jun 10, IW News Service |; Business, 2020 |; Nation | (2020-06-10). "Odisha to make Info Valley an Int'l IT centre". India Whispers. Retrieved 2021-05-26.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Satapathy, Dillip (2016-06-17). "Centre gives nod to electronic park in Bhubaneswar". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2021-05-26.
- "Make in Odisha: Bharat Biotech to invest Rs 500 cr for vaccine-making unit in Khurda district". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2021-05-26.
- May 7, TNN /; 2021; Ist, 12:13. "Bhubaneswar: 'Expedite building of Biotech Park near city', says CS Suresh Chandra Mohapatra | Bhubaneswar News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2021-05-26.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Pardis Tech Park
- "General View of Kansai Science City". Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "Tsukuba Science City". Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "Yokosuka Research Park". Retrieved 30 October 2020.
- "Technology Park Malaysia". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Selangor Science Park 2 Moving At Snail's Pace". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "FRIM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UPM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UKM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UITM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Penang is on its way to becoming the Silicon Valley of the East, and IoT is how". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Styling itself as the 'Silicon Valley of the East'". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Penang still 'Silicon Valley of the East'". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "A Silicon Valley of the East: Penang's thriving start-up community". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Invest Penang - Opportunities". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "MSC Cyberport Johor". Archived from the original on 15 November 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Nusajaya Tech Park". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UTM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Kulim Hi-Tech Park". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Lahore's Software Park almost completed
- Singapore Science Park
- Lee, Suh-yoon. "IT firms rushing to hire software developers". The Korea Times. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- Southern Taiwan Science Park Archived 2008-11-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Nankang Software Park
- GIANT Campus website
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2013-12-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Official Innopolis web-site
- "Romania Proving Popular As Software Outsourcing Destination". InformationWeek. 4 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- Barrenechea, Mark (2014-05-16). "Why Ontario is the Silicon Valley of the North". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- "Is Ottawa still Silicon Valley North?". 29 June 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Soper. "The lure of Chilecon Valley".
- "Siliconia -- Part 1".
- Soper, Taylor (February 11, 2015). "Silicon Desert: How Phoenix is quickly—and quietly—becoming a hub for innovation". GeekWire. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- Soper, Taylor (February 11, 2015). "Former Pitney Bowes HQ now 'Silicon Harbor'". Stamford Advocate. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "Zhongguancun, China's Silicon Valley".
- "Silicon Britain: Inside the country's tech clusters". BBC News. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Silicon Spa". Archived from the original on 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2014-06-10.