List of technology centers
This is a list of technology centers throughout the world. Governmental planners and business networks like to use the name "silicon" or "valley" to describe their own areas as a result of the success of Silicon Valley in California. Nevertheless, there are a few qualitative differences between these places, and metrics may be applied to measure their dominance.
These metrics include:
- How much and to what extent public and/or private research and development funds are spent in the zones
- What percentage of local employment is technology related.
- If the zone is mainly government funded or is mainly corporate driven (or both)
- If mainly corporate, how much revenue and profit and which corporates have headquarters there.
- If mainly corporate, how much venture capital has been made available to companies in the zone.
- What supporting higher educational institutions are located in nearby.
- 1 Globally Prominent clusters (with specific dominant markets listed)
- 2 List
- 3 Places with "Silicon" names
- 3.1 Africa
- 3.2 Americas
- 3.3 Asia
- 3.4 Europe
- 3.5 Middle East
- 3.6 Oceania
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Globally Prominent clusters (with specific dominant markets listed)
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Silicon Valley - originating in Stanford University (Palo Alto and Menlo Park), and spreading south towards San Jose, California and suburbs. San Francisco and nearby areas including Berkeley and Oakland are technically not part of Silicon Valley but have seen growth in industries such as web development (2013-2016) and venture capital. Silicon Valley has maintained dominance for decades in core industries such as microprocessor development as well as software and web development.
- Silicon Wadi - is an area with a high concentration of high-tech industries in the coastal plain in Israel. Israel as a whole country has strong innovation in Cyber Security, Agritech and more. The Silicon Wadi area covers much of the country, although especially high concentrations of hi-tech industry can be found in the area around Tel Aviv, including small clusters around the cities of Ra'anana, Petah Tikva, Herzliya, Netanya, the academic city of Rehovot and its neighbour Rishon Le Zion. In addition, hi-tech clusters can be found in Haifa and Caesarea. More recent hi-tech establishments have been raised in Jerusalem (Technology Park, Malha, Har Hotzvim and JVP Media Quarter in Talpiot), and the Startup Village Ecosystem in the Yokneam area.
- Silicon Fen - is the name given to the region around Cambridge, England, which is home to a large cluster of high-tech businesses focusing on software, electronics and biotechnology. Many of these businesses have connections with the University of Cambridge, and the area is now one of the most important technology centres in Europe.
- Shenzhen Hi-Tech Industrial Park - Shenzhen, Guangdong, China Shenzhen municipality and surrounds, including Dongguan's factories had been for a decade the world's dominant peripheral hardware suppliers. More recently Shenzhen has become the dominant place worldwide for hardware startups (excluding microprocessors, chip memory, and pure-play semiconductor foundry).
- Suwon, Korea or Samsung Digital City is the dominant place worldwide for chip memory and integrated system on a chip with large components of microchip memory.
- Hsinchu Science Park - Hsinchu City and Hsinchu County, Taiwan is the dominant place worldwide for pure-play semiconductor foundry market.
- India as a whole is globally dominant in software technology outsourcing, famous for Silicon City, Bengaluru. Technopark, Trivandrum is the Asia's largest IT Park situated at Thiruvananthapuram, India.
- Thailand as a whole is globally dominant in hard disk manufacturing.
- CERN in Geneva, Switzerland is globally dominant in particle physics.
- Dulles Technology Corridor is globally dominant in telecom, satellite, and defense industries.
- Silicon Alley or NYC is globally dominant in fintech although Shenzhen is also coming up strong in this area.
- Tsukuba Science City, Japan has the largest budget of government-sponsored general research and development for any science park zone of its size.
- Konza Technology City - launched in 2013, and set to host business process outsourcing (BPO) ventures, a science park, and other facilities
- Campinas, São Paulo, São José dos Campos, São Carlos (The Silicon Valley of Brazil).
- Porto Digital - Recife
- Canada's Technology Triangle with Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario - home to BlackBerry (formerly Research in Motion), Open Text, Kik Messenger, Desire2Learn, and the Canadian head office of Google; home to the Communitech HUB start-up incubator
- Vancouver, British Columbia - home to Sony Pictures Imageworks, PMC-Sierra, Telus, Hootsuite, EA Canada, Vision Critical, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, and Westport Innovations
- Markham, Ontario - home to the Canadian head offices of Sony, Avaya, IBM, Motorola, Toshiba, Lucent, Sun Microsystems, Apple, American Express and AMD Graphics Product Group
- Silicon Valley North - the National Capital Region around Ottawa, Ontario, Bayview Yards, - home to Mitel, DragonWave, Alcatel Lucent, and Halogen Software
- Greater Toronto Area - specifically Mississauga and Brampton
- Cité Multimédia, Montreal
- Montréal Technoparc, Montréal
- Parque Científico y Tecnológico Laguna Carén, Pudahuel, Santiago
- Parque Científico y Tecnológico Pacyt Bío Bío, Concepción
- Centro Antártico Internacional, Punta Arenas
- Centro Interdisciplinario de Neurociencia de Valparaíso, Valparaíso
- Automation Alley - Metropolitan Detroit (primarily Oakland County, Michigan)
- Cummings Research Park - Huntsville, Alabama
- Denver Tech Center - Denver, Colorado
- Dulles Technology Corridor - Northern Virginia near Washington Dulles Airport
- Eastside - Puget Sound
- Golden Corridor - Near Chicago's O'Hare International Airport and Northwest Suburbs
- Illinois Technology and Research Corridor - DuPage County, Illinois
- Optics Valley - Tucson, Arizona
- Research Triangle - Raleigh–Durham–Chapel Hill, North Carolina, centered on Research Triangle Park
- Route 128 - Massachusetts
- Silicon Alley - New York City
- Silicon Beach - West Los Angeles - Playa Vista
- Silicon Hills - Austin, Texas and its suburbs
- Silicon Forest - Portland, Oregon
- Silicon Prairie - Metropolitan Dallas (primarily the northern region and its suburbs)
- Silicon Slopes - Salt Lake City, Utah including Utah County (Provo, Utah) and Summit County (Park City, Utah) and surrounding areas.
- Silicon Valley
- Tech Coast - broadly Southern California, Silicon Beach refers to emergent Santa Monica-LAX tech cluster.
- Tech Valley - The Capital District area of Albany, NY
- Telecom Corridor (an area in the Silicon Prairie) - Richardson, suburb of Dallas, Texas
- Texas Medical Center - Houston, Texas
- Zhongguancun - Haidian District, Beijing
- Chengdu Tianfu Software Park - Chengdu, Sichuan
- Dalian Hi-Tech Zone & Dalian Software Park - Dalian, Liaoning
- Hunnan New Area - Shenyang
- Shenzhen Hi-Tech Industrial Park - Shenzhen
- Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park - Shanghai
- Technopark, Trivandrum - Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Electronics City - Bangalore
- International Tech Park, Bangalore
- Manyata Embassy Business Park - Bangalore
- Tidel Park - Chennai
- Gurgaon, Haryana - near Delhi
- Noida, Uttar Pradesh - near Delhi
- Sricity, Andhra Pradesh - near Tirupati
- HITEC City - Hyderabad
- IKP-Alexandria Biotech Knowledge Park - Hyderabad
- Technocity, Thiruvananthapuram - Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- InfoPark, Kochi - Kochi
- Cyberpark - Kozhikode
- Knowledge Corridor - between Pune and Mumbai
- Cyber City, Magarpatta - Pune
- Hinjawadi, Magarpatta - Pune
- MIHAN - Nagpur
- Tel Aviv/Mediterranean Coastal Region - referred to as Silicon Wadi, an area with a high concentration of high-tech industries in the coastal plain in Israel. Israel as a whole country has strong innovation in Cyber Security, Agritech and more. The Silicon Wadi area covers much of the country, although especially high concentrations of hi-tech industry can be found in the area around Tel Aviv, including small clusters around the cities of Ra'anana, Petah Tikva, Herzliya, Netanya, the academic city of Rehovot and its neighbour Rishon Le Zion. In addition, hi-tech clusters can be found in Haifa and Caesarea. More recent hi-tech establishments have been raised in Jerusalem (Technology Park, Malha, Har Hotzvim and JVP Media Quarter in Talpiot), and the Startup Village Ecosystem in the Yokneam area.
- Yehud - Hosts primarily Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Software campus (http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Careers-at-HP/A-tour-at-HP-Software-campus-in-Yehud-Israel/ba-p/184796), but is the home of more IT and High Tech companies such as Ticomsoft, Flame-Ware Solutions, RegiSoft, Fenavic, Bgate, BYON IT Solutions and others.
- Yokneam Illit - with over 100 high-tech companies concentrated in a small area that is nicknamed "Startup Village"
- Kansai Science City, on the borders of Kyoto, Osaka and Nara Prefectures
- Tsukuba Science City, Tsukuba City, Ibaraki Prefecture
- Yokosuka Research Park (YRP), Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Technology Park Malaysia (TPM), Kuala Lumpur
- Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) / Cyberjaya, Selangor
- Selangor Science Park, Selangor
- Selangor Science Park 2, Selangor
- Subang Hi-Tech Industrial Park, Selangor
- FRIM-MTDC Technology Centre, Selangor
- UPM-MTDC Technology Centre, Selangor
- UKM-MTDC Technology Centre. Selangor
- UITM-MTDC Technology Centre. Selangor
- Penang (Known as "Silicon Valley of the East") 
- Penang Science Park, Penang
- Penang Cybercity, Penang
- MSC Cyberport, Johor
- Johor Technology Park, Johor
- Nusajaya Tech Park, Johor
- UTM-MTDC Technology Centre, Technovation Park, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Johor
- Kulim Hi-Tech Park (kHTP), Kedah
- Arfa Karim Technology Park (former Software Technology Park) - Lahore
- IT Media City - Karachi
- Software Technology Park (1, 2, 3)
- Silicon Gulf - Davao City (The Silicon Valley of the Philippines)
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines I & II, Laguna
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines III, Batangas
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines III, Batangas
- Light Industry and Science Park of the Philippines IV, Bataan
- Cebu Light Industry Park, Cebu
- Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija
- Calamba Premiere International Park
- Riyadh Techno Valley, Riyadh
- Dhahran Techno-Valley, Dhahran
- King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology, Riyadh
- Daedeok Science Town, Daejeon
- Digital Media City, Seoul
- Pangyo Techno Valley, the Silicon Valley of South Korea 
- Samsung Town
- New Songdo City, Incheon
- Teheran Valley, Seoul
- Central Taiwan Science Park - Changhua County, Nantou County, Taichung City and Yunlin County
- Southern Taiwan Science Park - Kaohsiung City and Tainan City
- Nankang Software Park - Taipei City
- Dubai Internet City, Dubai
- Dubai Silicon Oasis, Dubai
- Dubai Media City, Dubai
- Masdar City, Abu Dhabi
- Australian Technology Park, Eveleigh, Sydney
- Digital Harbour, Docklands, Melbourne
- Macquarie Park, Sydney, NSW (including the Research Park - Macquarie University)
- Technology Park, Bentley, Western Australia (adjacent to Curtin University of Technology)
- GIANT : Grenoble (nanotechnology, particle physics, bioscience and renewable energy)
- Metz Science Park : Metz Technopole
- Toulouse : Toulouse Sud-Est : Agrobiopole, Labège-Innopole, Aerospace Valley
- Valbonne : Sophia Antipolis
- Villeneuve-d'Ascq : Technopôle Lille Métropole
- Berlin - known as Silicon Allee, one of Europe's most dynamic technology, IT and startup centers
- Dresden (Silicon Saxony)
- Kaiserslautern (Silicon Woods)
- Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania - BioCon Valley for its life science and biotechnology clusters
- Munich (Isar Valley)
- Western Pomerania (IT Lagoon)
- WISTA (Science and Technology Park in Berlin-Adlershof)
- Dublin (known as "Silicon Docks" or "The European Silicon Valley", due to its high number of technological EMEA centres)
- Science Park Amsterdam - Amsterdam
- High Tech Campus Eindhoven - Eindhoven
- Technopolis Innovation Park Delft - Delft
- Utrecht Science Park - Utrecht
- Akademgorodok, Novosibirsk
- Skolkovo Innovation Center, Skolkovo, Moscow Oblast
- Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology
- Innopolis, near Kazan'
- Oxford Science Park - Oxford
- Silicon Corridor - M4 corridor, Reading, Berkshire
- Silicon Fen - Cambridge
- Silicon Glen - in Central Scotland
- Silicon Gorge - Bristol
- Silicon Roundabout - London
- UNIT.city - Kiev
Places with "Silicon" names
- Silicon Cape — Cape Town, South Africa
- Silicon Lagoon — Lagos, Nigeria
- Silicon Mountain — Buea, Cameroon
- Silicon Savannah — Nairobi, Kenya
- Brazilian Silicon Valley — Campinas, Brazil
- Parque Tecnológico de São José dos Campos close to the Universidade Federal de São Paulo and Faculdade de Tecnologia do Estado de São Paulo
- San Pedro Valley - Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- Silicon Valley of the North - Ontario Highway 401 between Toronto and Waterloo A related area was also promoted as Canada's Technology Triangle.
- Silicon Valley North — Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, though questionable since the 2009 bankruptcy of Nortel and the 2008 pull-out of Dell's call centre
- Silicon Vineyard — Okanagan Valley, Canada
- Chilecon Valley — Santiago, Chile. The name was first coined by The Economist. Santiago is home of Start-Up Chile, the most important government sponsored accelerator worldwide.
- Mexican Silicon Valley/Silicon Valley South — Jalisco, Mexico
- Silicon Border — Mexicali, Mexico
- Technology Hub Ciudad Juárez, Mexico
- Philicon Valley (also known as "Silicon Valley Forge") — Area close to Philadelphia, in the suburbs of Valley Forge and Wayne
- Silicon Alley — Originally a portion of Manhattan in New York City, specifically Broadway, the Flatiron District, SoHo, and TriBeCa. Now encompasses the general NYC tech sphere.
- Silicon Anchor — Norfolk, Va–Virginia Beach metropolitan area
- Silicon Basin — Columbus, Ohio
- Silicon Bayou — New Orleans, Louisiana
- Silicon Beach — Santa Monica, California and the Westside area of the Los Angeles metro, more specifically Culver City, Venice Beach, Westwood, Manhattan Beach, Malibu, Playa del Rey, and Marina del Rey; also used to refer to the San Diego area in the name of the 1980s software developer Silicon Beach Software
- Silicon Canal — The area of Seattle, Washington along the Fremont Cut.
- Silicon Coast — Orange County, California
- Silicon Desert — Chandler, Arizona
- Silicon Forest — Portland, Oregon
- Silicon Harbor — Charleston, South Carolina; Stamford, Connecticut
- Silicon Hill — Washington, DC
- Silicon Hills — Austin, Texas
- Silicon Hollar — Boone, North Carolina 
- Silicon Mountain — Front Range Urban Corridor, Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs)
- Silicon peach - Atlanta, Georgia home to Georgia Institute of Technology as well as VMWare Airwatch, Google ATL, Kabbage, Pindrop, and many venture capital firms
- Silicon Prairie
- Silicon River — Boston and Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Silicon Sandbar — Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Silicon shire — Eugene, Oregon
- Silicon Shore — Santa Barbara, California
- Silicon Slopes — Utah County and southern Salt Lake County, Utah
- Silicon Surf — Santa Cruz, California
- Silicon Valley — San Jose, California (the original "Silicon" namesake)
- Silicon Valley of the Sierras — Nevada County, California
- Silicotton Valley — Huntsville, Alabama
- Silicon Gulf — Davao City, Philippines
- Silicon Island — Kyushu, Japan
- Silicon Peninsula — Dalian, China
- Silicon Valley of China — Shenzhen or Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Beijing, People's Republic of China (PRC)
- Silicon Valley of India (sometimes referred to as Silicon Plateau) — Bangalore
- Silicon Valley of Indonesia — Bandung, Indonesia
- Silicon Valley of Taiwan — Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Silicon Valley of Hong Kong — Cyberport and Hong Kong Science Park
- Temis — Besançon, France
- Silicon Sentier — Paris, France
- Sophia Antipolis — Valbonne, France
- Paris-Saclay — Paris, France
- Station F — Paris, France
- Polygone Scientifique — Grenoble, France
- BioCon Valley - Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania
- CFK Valley – Stade, Lower Saxony
- Isar Valley - Munich, Bavaria
- Measurement Valley – Göttingen, Lower Saxony
- Medical Valley – Erlangen region, Bavaria
- Silicon Allee (English: Silicon Avenue) — Berlin (incl. WISTA)
- Silicon Saxony — Dresden, Saxony, Elbe river valley around the city
- Silicon Woods – Kaiserslautern, Rhineland-Palatinate
- Solar Valley – Thalheim, Saxony-Anhalt
- Silicon Islands — Patras with past and present companies like Atmel, Samsung, Citrix, Dialog Semiconductor, Think Silicon and Intel
- Silicon Docks — Dublin, Ireland. Contains the European headquarters of companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, and many others.
- Food Valley — The Netherlands
- Health Valley — The Netherlands
- SiliconFjord - Oslofjord-region
- Ticino Valley - Switzerland, technology cluster in the Lugano Area
- Russian Silicon Valley:
- Silicon Sloboda — Moscow, Russia
- Silicon Taiga — Akademgorodok, Russia
- Cwm Silicon — Newport, Wales
- Silicon Alley — Pink Lane, Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
- Silicon Beach - Bournemouth, England
- Silicon Canal — Birmingham, England — the area along the Digbeth Branch Canal from Aston Science Park, through Millennium Point to Digbeth.
- Silicon Corridor — the M4 corridor
- Silicon Dock — Belfast
- Silicon Fen — Cambridge, England
- Silicon Forest — Newark, Nottinghamshire — Silicon Forest consists of various businesses from in and around the Newark and Sherwood area that specialise in technology and innovation.
- Silicon Glen — Central Belt, Scotland
- Silicon Gorge — Bristol, England
- Silicon Mall — London, England — the area between Pall Mall and Victoria in London
- Silicon Pier — Brighton, England
- Silicon Roundabout — the area around Old Street Roundabout in London
- Silicon Shipyard — Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, Middlesbrough
- Silicon Spa — Leamington Spa, Warwickshire 
- Silicon Walk — Edinburgh, Scotland
- UNIT.City — Kiev
- Dubai Silicon Oasis — Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Silicon Wadi — The coastal plain of Israel, stretching from Haifa to Tel Aviv and Rehovot and expanding inland to Jerusalem
- Silicon Mallee — Adelaide, Australia (Mallee, an Australian aboriginal word for the land area around Adelaide covered by low, scrubby dwarf eucalyptus 'mallee' vegetation
- Silicon St, Sydney An inner city colloquial district including Ultimo/Pyrmont along Harris St spanning 10 km2 from UTS to Google including Fishburners
- Silicon Beach, a term used by those in the Australian startup community to refer to the startup ecosystem within Australian cities, in particular by Meetup groups like Silicon Beach Sydney and Silicon Beach Adelaide
- Viva Tel Aviv!
- Chengdu Tianfu (Heavenly City) Software Park
- Shanghai Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park
- Pardis Tech Park
- "Technology Park Malaysia". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Selangor Science Park 2 Moving At Snail's Pace". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "FRIM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UPM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UKM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UITM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Penang is on its way to becoming the Silicon Valley of the East, and IoT is how". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Styling itself as the 'Silicon Valley of the East'". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Penang still 'Silicon Valley of the East'". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "A Silicon Valley of the East: Penang's thriving start-up community". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Invest Penang - Opportunities". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "MSC Cyberport Johor". Archived from the original on 15 November 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Nusajaya Tech Park". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "UTM-MTDC - Malaysian Technology Development Corporation". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Kulim Hi-Tech Park". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Lahore's Software Park almost completed
- Singapore Science Park
- Lee, Suh-yoon. "IT firms rushing to hire software developers". The Korea Times. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- Southern Taiwan Science Park Archived 2008-11-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- Nankang Software Park
- GIANT Campus website
- Official Innopolis web-site
- "Romania Proving Popular As Software Outsourcing Destination". InformationWeek. 4 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-12.
- Barrenechea, Mark (2014-05-16). "Why Ontario is the Silicon Valley of the North". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- "Is Ottawa still Silicon Valley North?". 29 June 2009. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Soper. "The lure of Chilecon Valley".
- "Siliconia -- Part 1".
- Soper, Taylor (February 11, 2015). "Silicon Desert: How Phoenix is quickly — and quietly — becoming a hub for innovation". GeekWire. Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- Soper, Taylor (February 11, 2015). "Former Pitney Bowes HQ now 'Silicon Harbor'". Stamford Advocate. Retrieved January 4, 2016.
- "BBC News - Silicon Britain: Inside the country's tech clusters". 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2012-06-26.
- "Silicon Spa;". Retrieved 2014-06-10.