List of tennis umpires
Listed are current and past tennis chair umpires who hold or have held a gold badge International Tennis Federation (ITF) rating. Gold badge umpires typically officiate Grand Slam, ATP World Tour and WTA Tour matches. The list includes only those who hold or have held a gold badge as a chair umpire, and not those who hold or have held a similar badge in refereeing or chief umpiring. The year, where included, indicates when the umpire obtained his or her respective gold badge status.
There are three levels of training sanctioned by the International Tennis Federation. After officiating at non-pro events, a chair umpire may enter the "Level 1" program in order to gain a green badge. This is taught in French and/or Spanish and is specifically aimed at officiating in South and Central America, and Africa. "Level 2" schools are only taught in English and are for umpires who have already shown proficiency at ITF Pro Circuit events, Davis Cup and Fed Cup ties, and ATP and WTA sanctioned events. It is here that an umpire would receive a white badge. Those chair umpires who pass a "Level 3" school start as a Bronze Badge and can be promoted to Silver and then to Gold following a review of their work rate and performance in the annual review conducted by the ITF, ATP and WTA.
List of active gold-badge male tennis umpires:
|Ali Nili||USA (formerly Iran)||2008||ATP umpire and supervisor; Officiated the 2015 Wimbledon Men's final, and the 2016 US Open Men's Singles Final|||
|Carlos Bernardes||Brazil||1990||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2006 and 2008 US Open Men's Singles final, the 2011 Wimbledon Men's Singles final and the 2016 ATP World Tour Finals Final.|| |
|Carlos Ramos||Portugal||ITF umpire; Officiated the Men's Singles final at the 2012 Olympic Games, as well as the Men's Singles final at all 4 Grand Slam tournaments including the 2016 Australian Open Men's Singles final. ("Umpire Golden Slam")|||
|Cédric Mourier||France||1999||ATP umpire and tournament referee; officiated the 2001 French Open Men's Singles, 2004 French Open Men's Singles, 2006 French Open Men's Singles, 2010 French Open Men's Singles, and 2013 French Open Men's Singles finals.|||
|Damian Steiner||Argentina||2005||ATP umpire|||
|Damien Dumusois||France||2009||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2012, 2015,2016, and 2018 French Open Men's Singles final, the 2010 French Open Women's Singles Final, and the 2017 Wimbledon Gentlemen's Singles Final.|||
|Emmanuel Joseph||France||2005||Officiated the 2006, 2008, and 2015 French Open Women's Singles finals.|||
|Fergus Murphy||Ireland||2000||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2017 Wimbledon men's doubles final between Łukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo vs Oliver Marach and Mate Pavić.|||
|Gianluca Moscarella||Italy||2010||ATP umpire|||
|Jake Garner||USA||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 US Open Men's finals, the 2011, 2015, 2018 Australian Open Men's finals, the 2010, 2016 Wimbledon Men's Final, and 2008 Olympic Games Men's singles final.|||
|James Keothavong||Great Britain||2010||Officiated the 2014, 2018 Wimbledon Men's final, 2016 Wimbledon Ladies final, the 2017 Australian Open Men's Final, and the 2018 French Open Women's Singles Final.|||
|John Blom||Australia||2012||Officiated the 2013 Australian Open Men's Final and the 2016 Australian Open Women's Final|||
|Kader Nouni||France||2006||WTA umpire; officiated the 2012, and the 2013 WTA Finals Finals', the 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014 French Open Women's Singles finals, and the 2018 Wimbledon Ladies Singles Final.|||
|Manuel Messina||San Marino||ATP umpire|||
|Mohamed El Jennati||Morocco||ATP umpire|||
|Mohamed Lahyani||Sweden/Morocco||1997||ATP umpire; Officiated the longest match in pro tennis history: the Isner–Mahut match at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships, the 2013 Wimbledon Men's Final, and the 2008, 2010, and 2013 ATP World Tour Finals Finals'|||
|Renaud Lichtenstein||France||2016||Officiated the 2017 French Open Women's Singles Final.|||
|Roland Herfel||Germany||ATP Umpire|||
|Jaume Campistol||Spain||2017||ITF Officiating Team|||
|Adel Nour||Egypt||2018||ATP Umpire; First Egyptian Gold Badge Umpire.|||
List of active gold-badge female tennis umpires:
|Alison Hughes (née Lang)||Great Britain||ITF umpire; Officiated the Women's Singles Final at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games, as well as the Women's Singles Final at the 4 Grand Slam tournaments including the 2016 US Open Women's Final and the 2017 Australian Open Women's Final ("Umpire Gold Slam")|||
|Eva Asderaki-Moore (née Asderaki)||Greece||2007||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2011 US Open Women's Final, the 2011 WTA Finals Final, the 2015 US Open Men's Final, the 2017 US Open Women's Final, and the 2017 Wimbledon Ladies Final|||
|Juan (Jennifer) Zhang||China||2012||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2016 WTA Finals Final. First woman in Chinese history to hold a gold badge in chair umpiring|||
|Louise Engzell||Sweden||2006||ITF umpire; Officiated the Women's Singles Final at the 2012 Olympic Games, the 2011 French Open Women's Singles Final, and the 2012 US Open Women's Final|||
|Mariana Alves||Portugal||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2010 Wimbledon Ladies Final, and the 2007 WTA Finals Final|||
|Marija Čičak||Croatia||2011||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2014 Wimbledon Ladies Final, 2015 US Open Women's Final and the Women's Singles Final at the 2016 Olympic Games|||
|Marijana Veljović||Serbia||2015||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2017 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Final and 2018 Australian Open Women's Singles Final.|||
|Julie Kjendlie||Norway||2016||WTA umpire|||
|Aurélie Tourte||France||2018||Third woman in French history to hold a gold badge in chair umpiring |||
|Paula Vieira Souza||Brazil||2018||WTA umpire|||
List of former gold-badge tennis umpires:
|Andreas Egli||Switzerland||ITF Grand Slam Supervisor. Supervisor of Australian Open, Roland Garros, The Championship Wimbledon, US Open|||
|Anne Lasserre Ullrich||France||First French woman to chair men's matches at Grand Slams.|||
|Bertie Bowron||Great Britain|||
|Bruno Rebeuh||France||Umpired the French Open final in countless opportunities.|||
|Christina Olaussen||Denmark|||
|Enric Molina||Spain||Officiated the 2012 Wimbledon Men's Final and former Chief of Officiating|||
|Denis Overberg||Australia|||
|Donna Kelso||Australia||WTA Supervisor, GS Supervisor|||
|Edward James||Great Britain|||
|Fabián Cherny||Argentina||Only South American Chair Umpire at the 1996 Olympic event in Atlanta, USA. Worked in the Australia, USA and French Grand Slams and in several Davis Cup ties.|||
|Félix Torralba||Spain||2013||Former WTA Umpire. Now working for the WTA Mallorca Tournament.|| |
|Fiona Edwards||Great Britain|||
|Freddie Sore||Great Britain||He was the longest-serving umpire at Wimbledon; over 40 years.|||
|Georgina Clark||Great Britain||First female umpire to officiate a Grand Slam final (Wimbledon 1984).|||
|Gerry Armstrong||Great Britain||1987||ATP Supervisor; Assistant Referee of The Championship, Wimbledon|||
|Gil de Kermadec||France|||
|Jane Harvey||Great Britain||Umpired 5 Wimbledon singles finals, 4 Olympic Gold medal finals, and first female to umpire a World Group Davis Cup. Over 10 years as a full-time official.|||
|Javier Moreno||Spain|||
|Jeremy Shales||Great Britain||Now deceased.|||
|John Frame||Great Britain||Umpired 7 Wimbledon Finals, including 3 Men's Singles.|||
|John Parry||Great Britain||As a Chief Umpire for WTA and ATP Tour now|||
|Jorge Dias||Portugal||First of three top Portuguese officials, opened the path to two current top officials, Carlos Ramos and Carlos Sanchez.|||
|Kerrilyn Cramer||Australia||Officiating several time Australian Open Ladies Single Final match|||
|Lars Graff||Sweden||1990||ATP Supervisor
While umpiring in the 2003 Wimbledon match, Greg Rusedski was fined £1500 for an obscene outburst.
|Laura Ceccarelli||Italy||WTA Supervisor|||
|Leanne White||Australia|||
|Lynn Welch||USA||Currently a review official on ATP World Tour|||
|Mike Morrissey||Great Britain||Umpired Wimbledon´s final. ITF Head of Officiating during the 90's. The only official to have held the three gold badges simultaneously (chair umpire, chief umpire, and referee)|||
|Norbert Peick||Germany||Referee Gold - Olympic Games 2000 & 2004, ITF Grand Slam Supervisor 1997-2005, Referee @Davis Cup Finals 2001 & 2003, Fed Cup Final 2002, Referee @BMW Open by FWU (Munich ATP), German Championships Hamburg ATP|||
|Pascal Maria||France||2000||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2008 Wimbledon Championships Men's final, the 2009 Australian Open Men's final, the 2012 Australian Open Men's final, the 2009 French Open Men's final, the 2014 French Open Men's final, the 2016 French Open Women's Final, the 2017 French Open Men's Final, and the 2016 Olympic Games Men's Singles Final, retired at the end of 2017.|||
|Sandra de Jenken||France||Is a first woman officiate Grand Slam Men's Single Final Match (Roland Garros)|||
|Steve Ullrich||USA||Currently a review official on ATP World Tour|||
|Ted Watts||Great Britain|||
|Sylvia Watts||Great Britain|||
|Wayne McKewen||Australia||ITF Grand Slam Supervisor. Referee of Australian Open|||
|Missy Malool||USA|||
|Bunny Williams||USA|||
|Billy Lipp||USA|||
|Dessie Samuels||USA|||
|Mike Loo||USA||ATP Challenger Supervisor - Still Chair umpires USTA Circuit Matches|||
|Keith Crossland||USA||ATP Challenger Supervisor - Still Chair umpires USTA Circuit Matches|||
ATP Tour officials
The original 8 full-time world officials for the (then new) 1990 ATP Tour
- Dana Loconto (USA)
- Gerry Armstrong (Great Britain)
- Paulo Pereira (Brazil)
- Pedro Bravo (Chile)
- Richard Ings (Australia)
- Richard Kaufman (USA)
- Rudy Berger (Germany)
- Steve Ullrich (USA)
Former Gold Badge Chair Umpires Now USTA Supervisors (Referees)
- Bunny Williams
- Missy Malool
- Dessie Samuels
- Billy Lipp
- Keith Crossland
- Mike Loo
- David Littlefield
- "ITF Level 3 schools". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "ITF Tennis – Officiating". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Approach Shots: Getting to Know Tennis Umpire Ali Nili". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-04-20. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-06. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "Portuguese umpires prominent once more at Wimbledon". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Cédric Mourier a dirigé dimanche dernier sa 5e finale du simple homme de Roland Garros".
- "Damian Steiner history". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "ITF Annual Report & Accounts 2009". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Australian Open 2015, Julien Benneteau vs Benjamin Becker". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "The umpire strikes back". 14 January 2006. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "ITF Annual Report & Accounts 2010". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Andy Murray wins first Slam as Novak Djokovic's rally fizzles". ESPN.
- "ITF: Annual Report and Accounts 2012". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Official of the year". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Tennis tidings of 2014". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "2015 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Getting to Know Mo(hamed Lahyani)". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Lahyani presides over longest match". ESPN. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Distinction suprême". Roland Garros. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "You can't be serious". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "RFET, Real Federación Española de Tenis, Noticias, El barcelonés Jaume Campistol asciende a categoría "Oro" de Juez de Silla". www.rfet.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Egyptian Tennis Federation- ETF". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Tennis-Schiedsrichter". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Tennis umpire Alison Lang keeping Wimbledon stars in check". Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Sitting Down With Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki". Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Chair umpire Eva Asderaki-Moore makes history at U.S. Open". Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- "Overruling Sexism: Is it unstated in tennis officiating?". Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Dillman, Lisa (January 22, 2005). "It's a Judgment Call as Umpire Returns to Chair". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "ITF: Annual Report and Accounts 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- http://www.kurir.rs/sport/tenis/srpkinja-sudi-nadalu-i-federeru-marijana-veljovic-dobila-zlatni-bedz-za-sudije-u-stolici-clanak-2085785. Retrieved January 11, 2016. Missing or empty
- http://tennis.no/gold-badge-til-julie-kjendlie/#.VokF3Lv6zB5.twitter. Retrieved January 11, 2016. Missing or empty
- https://tennistranslations.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/umpiring-aurelie-tourte-a-woman-in-the-chair/. Retrieved December 15, 2017. Missing or empty
- http://www.arbitrage.fft.fr/2-nouvelles-etoiles-accrochees-au-sapin/. Retrieved December 15, 2017. Missing or empty
- https://twitter.com/RioOpenOficial/status/942781949038522368. Retrieved December 18, 2017. Missing or empty
- Roberstson, Max (1974). The Encyclopedia of Tennis. p. 113.
- "Bruno Rebeuh, juge de paix à Roland-Garros". L'Express. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Top Official Tony Nimmons Celebrates Career, Calls for Tennis Diversity". USTA. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- Bonk, Thomas (September 3, 1991). "U.S. OPEN: This One Is Poor Connors". L.A. Times. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Head of Officiating Enric Molina to leave ITF". ITF. February 12, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Brown, Jonathan (April 16, 2008). "McEnroe was right on that call? You cannot be serious!". London: The Independent. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "ENAT, escuela nacional de árbitros de tenis". ENAT, escuela nacional de árbitros de tenis de Argentina,. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-27. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Edwards, Bill (November 28, 1995). "OBITUARY: Frank Hammond". London: The Independent. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Freddie Sore". London: The Telegraph. June 22, 2004. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Freddie Sore dies at age 93". The Daily Telegraph. London. June 22, 2004. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "Competitors and Umpires". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Evans, Richard (September 27, 2005). "Jeremy Shales". London: The Guardian. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Umpire debuts as the voice of Wimbledon". BBC East Midlands. June 29, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Kerrilyn Cramer – Tennis Official, Chair Umpire". Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Lars Graff – An Umpire With Gravitas". Archived from the original on May 9, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Rusedski fined for outburst". BBC. 26 June 2003. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- McCarvel, Nick (April 5, 2013). "Tennis umpire, and cult hero, Lynn Welch retires". USA Today. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- "Umipires skip US Open". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "The Best Seat in Tennis".
- "http://www.itftennis.com/news/277298.aspx". www.itftennis.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10. External link in
- "Umpires Say the Days of Tennis Brats Over". Los Angeles Times. May 28, 1989.
- "Si ritira Romano Grillotti da giudice di sedia, dopo 23 anni di professionismo". Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "Tennis-Open-Woman umpire makes grand slam history". Reuters. January 28, 2007. Retrieved March 7, 2012.