List of tennis umpires
Listed are current and past tennis chair umpires who hold or have held a gold badge International Tennis Federation (ITF) rating. Gold badge umpires typically officiate Grand Slam, ATP World Tour and WTA Tour matches. The list includes only those who hold or have held a gold badge as a chair umpire, and not those who hold or have held a similar badge in refereeing or chief umpiring. The year, where included, indicates when the umpire obtained his or her respective gold badge status.
There are three levels of training sanctioned by the International Tennis Federation. After officiating at non-pro events, a chair umpire may enter the "Level 1" program in order to gain a green badge. This is taught in French and/or Spanish and is specifically aimed at officiating in South and Central America, and Africa. "Level 2" schools are only taught in English and are for umpires who have already shown proficiency at ITF Pro Circuit events, Davis Cup and Fed Cup ties, and ATP and WTA sanctioned events. It is here that an umpire would receive a white badge. Those chair umpires who pass a "Level 3" school start as a Bronze Badge and can be promoted to Silver and then to Gold following a review of their work rate and performance in the annual review conducted by the ITF, ATP and WTA.
List of active gold-badge male tennis umpires:
|Ali Nili||USA (formerly Iran)||2008||ATP umpire and supervisor; Officiated the 2015 Wimbledon Men's Singles final and the 2016 and 2019 US Open Men's Singles final.|||
|Carlos Bernardes||Brazil||1990||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2006 and 2008 US Open Men's Singles final, the 2011 Wimbledon Men's Singles final, and the 2016 ATP World Tour Finals final.|||
|Carlos Ramos||Portugal||2007||ITF umpire; Officiated the Men's Singles final at the 2012 Olympic Games, as well as the Men's Singles final at all 4 Grand Slam tournaments including the 2016 Australian Open Men's Singles final and the 2018 US Open Women's Singles final. ("Umpire Golden Slam")|||
|Damien Dumusois||France||2009||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2018 French Open Men's Singles final, the 2010 French Open Women's Singles final, and the 2017 Wimbledon Men's Singles final.
As a regional officer (Africa) at ITF
|Emmanuel Joseph||France||2005||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2006, 2008, and 2015 French Open Women's Singles finals.|||
|Fergus Murphy||Ireland||2000||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2017 Wimbledon Men's Doubles final between Łukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo vs Oliver Marach and Mate Pavić.|||
|Gianluca Moscarella||Italy||2010||ATP umpire. Provisionally suspended during the 2019 Firenze Challenger due to an unprofessional dialog with a player and insinuations to a ball-girl.|||
|James Keothavong||Great Britain||2010||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2014 and 2018 Wimbledon Men's Singles final, 2016 Wimbledon Women's Singles final, the 2017 and 2019 Australian Open Men's Singles final, and the 2018 French Open Women's Singles final. Also officiated 2019 Fed Cup Final|||
|John Blom||Australia||2012||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2013 Australian Open Men's Singles final and the 2016 Australian Open Women's Singles final.|||
|Kader Nouni||France||2006||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2012 and the 2013 WTA Finals finals', the 2007, 2009, 2013 and 2014 French Open Women's Singles finals, and the 2018 Wimbledon Women's Singles final.|||
|Manuel Messina||San Marino||ATP umpire|||
|Mohamed El Jennati||Morocco||ATP umpire|||
|Mohamed Lahyani||Sweden/Morocco||1997||ATP umpire; Officiated the longest match in pro tennis history: the Isner–Mahut match at the 2010 Wimbledon Championships, the 2013 Wimbledon Men's final, and the 2008, 2010 and 2013 ATP World Tour Finals finals'.|||
|Pierre Bacchi||France||2016||ATP umpire|||
|Renaud Lichtenstein||France||2016||ATP umpire; Officiated the 2017 French Open Women's Singles final.|||
|Roland Herfel||Germany||ATP umpire and supervisor|||
|Jaume Campistol||Spain||2017||ITF umpire|||
|Adel Nour||Egypt||2018||ATP umpire|||
|Nico Helwerth||Germany||2018||ITF umpire|||
List of active gold-badge female tennis umpires:
|Alison Hughes (née Lang)||Great Britain||ITF umpire; referee since 1989. Officiated the Women's Singles final at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Games, as well as the Women's Singles final at the 4 Grand Slam tournaments, including the 2016 and 2019 US Open Women's Singles final, the 2017 Australian Open Women's Singles final, the 2018 US Open Men's Singles final and the 2019 US Open Women's Singles final. ("Umpire Golden Slam")|||
|Eva Asderaki-Moore (née Asderaki)||Greece||2007||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2011 US Open Women's Singles final, the 2011 WTA Finals final, the 2015 US Open Men's Singles final, the 2017 US Open Women's Singles final, the 2017 Wimbledon Women's Singles final and the 2019 Australian Open Mixed Doubles final.|||
|Juan (Jennifer) Zhang||China||2012||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2016 WTA Finals final. First woman in Chinese history to hold a gold badge in chair umpiring.|||
|Louise Engzell||Sweden||2006||ITF umpire; Officiated the Women's Singles final at the 2012 Olympic Games, the 2011 French Open Women's Singles final, the 2012 US Open Women's Singles final, and the 2019 Australian Open Women's Singles final.|||
|Mariana Alves||Portugal||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2010 Wimbledon Women's Singles final and the 2007 WTA Finals final. Also officiate 2019 WTA Finals final at Shenzhen|||
|Marija Čičak||Croatia||2011||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2014 Wimbledon Women's Singles final, the 2015 US Open Women's final, the Women's Singles final at the 2016 Olympic Games and the 2018 Wimbledon Men's Singles semifinal between Kevin Anderson and John Isner (the second longest singles tennis match).|||
|Marijana Veljović||Serbia||2015||ITF umpire; Officiated the 2018 Australian Open Women's Singles final and the 2019 Wimbledon Championships Women's Singles final.|||
|Julie Kjendlie||Norway||2016||WTA umpire; Officiated the 2018 and 2019 WTA Finals Doubles final.|||
|Aurélie Tourte||France||2018||Third woman in French history to hold a gold badge in chair umpiring., and believed to be the first woman to sign a full-time contract on the ATP Tour's elite team of umpires as of 2019.  Officiated the 2017 French Open Women's Doubles final and the 2019 French Open Women's Singles final.|||
|Paula Vieira Souza||Brazil||2018||WTA umpire|||
List of former gold-badge tennis umpires:
|Andreas Egli||Switzerland||ITF Grand Slam Supervisor. Supervisor of Australian Open, Roland Garros, The Championship Wimbledon, US Open|||
|Anne Lasserre Ullrich||France||First French woman to chair men's matches at Grand Slams.|||
|Bertie Bowron||Great Britain|||
|Bruno Rebeuh||France||Umpired the French Open final in countless opportunities.|||
|Cédric Mourier||France||1999||ATP umpire and referee; officiated the 2001 French Open Men's Singles, 2004 French Open Men's Singles, 2006 French Open Men's Singles, 2010 French Open Men's Singles and 2013 French Open Men's Singles finals. Retired in 2018. Now an ATP Supervisor|||
|Christina Olausson||Denmark|||
|Damian Steiner||Argentina||2005||ATP full-time umpire. Officiated the 2019 Wimbledon Men's Singles final. He was fired by the ATP for breaking the official's code of conduct in august 2019.|| |
|Enric Molina||Spain||Officiated the 2012 Wimbledon Championships - Men's Singles and former Chief of Officiating|||
|Denis Overberg||Australia||1998|||
|Donna Kelso||Australia||WTA Supervisor, GS Supervisor|||
|Robert Norton||Great Britain||1986 Wimbledon|||
|Fabián Cherny||Argentina||1997||Only South American Chair Umpire at the 1996 Summer Olympics event in Atlanta, USA. Worked in the Australia, US and French Grand Slams and in several Davis Cup ties.|||
|Félix Torralba||Spain||2013||Former WTA Umpire. Now working for the WTA Mallorca Tournament.|||
|Fiona Edwards||Great Britain|||
|Freddie Sore||Great Britain||He was the longest-serving umpire at Wimbledon; over 40 years.|||
|Georgina Clark||Great Britain||First female umpire to officiate a Grand Slam final (Wimbledon 1984).|||
|Gerry Armstrong||Great Britain||1987||ATP Supervisor; Assistant Referee of The Championship, Wimbledon|||
|Gil de Kermadec||France|||
|Jake Garner||USA||2007||ITF umpire; 18 Grand Slam finals, four Davis Cup finals, a Fed Cup final and the men’s gold-medal match at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Officiated the 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017 US Open Men's finals, the 2011, 2015, 2018 Australian Open Men's finals, the 2010 and 2016 Wimbledon Men's Final, and 2008 Olympic Games Men's singles final. Retired at the end of 2018. Now Chief of Umpire at the US Open and senior manager, professional pathway, officiating for the USTA.|||
|Jane Harvey||Great Britain||Umpired 5 Wimbledon singles finals, 4 Olympic Gold medal finals, and first female to umpire a World Group Davis Cup. Over 10 years as a full-time official.|||
|Javier Moreno||Spain|||
|Jeremy Shales||Great Britain||Now deceased.|||
|John Frame||Great Britain||Umpired 7 Wimbledon Finals, including 3 Men's Singles.|||
|John Parry||Great Britain||As a Chief Umpire for WTA and ATP Tour now|||
|Jorge Dias||Portugal||First of three top Portuguese officials, opened the path to two current top officials, Carlos Ramos and Carlos Sanchez.|||
|Kerrilyn Cramer||Australia||Officiating several time Australian Open Ladies Single Final match|||
|Lars Graff||Sweden||1990||ATP Supervisor. While umpiring in the 2003 Wimbledon match, Greg Rusedski was fined £1500 for an obscene outburst.|||
|Laura Ceccarelli||Italy||WTA Supervisor|||
|Leanne White||Australia|||
|Lynn Welch||USA||Currently a review official on ATP World Tour|||
|Mike Morrissey||Great Britain||Umpired Wimbledon´s final. ITF Head of Officiating during the 90's. The only official to have held the three gold badges simultaneously (chair umpire, chief umpire, and referee)|||
|Norbert Peick||Germany||Referee Gold - Olympic Games 2000 & 2004, ITF Grand Slam Supervisor 1997-2005, Referee @Davis Cup Finals 2001 & 2003, Fed Cup Final 2002, Referee @BMW Open by FWU (Munich ATP), German Championships Hamburg ATP|||
|Pascal Maria||France||2000||ITF umpire; officiated finals in 2008 Wimbledon Championships Men's final, 2009 Australian Open Men's final, 2012 Australian Open Men's final, 2009 French Open Men's final, 2014 French Open Men's final, 2016 French Open Women's Final, 2017 French Open Men's Final and 2016 Olympic Games Men's Singles Final. Retired in 2017.|||
|Robert Norton||Great Britain||1986||Wimbledon Umpire|
|Sandra de Jenken||France||Is a first woman officiate Grand Slam Men's Single Final Match (Roland Garros)|||
ATP Tour officials
The original 8 full-time world officials for the (then new) 1990 ATP Tour
- Dana Loconto (USA). Dana produced the first ever device to digitalize umpiring, the ATP palm-top.
- Gerry Armstrong (Great Britain). Gerry defaulted Mc Enroe in the 1990 Australian Open, after the rules had just been modified.
- Paulo Pereira (Brazil). Paulo obtained a degree in civil engineering before moving full-time into the officiating world.
- Pedro Bravo (Chile). Pedro was a tennis teacher before umpiring. He still works for the Chilean Tennis Federation as Tournament Director.
- Richard Ings (Australia). Richard defaulted Robert Seguso in a match versus Andre Agassi at the 1989 Indian Wells ATP Tournament. 
- Richard Kaufman (USA). After retirement, Richard became Director of Officials for the USTA and worked closely to Paul Hawkins to develop the Hawk-Eye system.
- Rudy Berger (Germany). Rudy worked in the Ministry of Justice in former West-Germany before becoming a full-time official. Deceased in 2007.
- Steve Ullrich (USA). Steve had a distinct voice that allowed him always to be easily identified when umpiring.
Former Gold Badge Chair Umpires, Now USTA Supervisors (Referees)
- Bunny Williams
- Missy Malool
- Dessie Samuels
- Billy Lipp
- Keith Crossland
- Mike Loo
- David Littlefield
- "ITF Level 3 schools". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "ITF Tennis – Officiating". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Approach Shots: Getting to Know Tennis Umpire Ali Nili". 2014-06-15. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Archived copy". 2018-09-27. Archived from the original on 2014-04-20. Retrieved 2014-06-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-06. Retrieved 2016-07-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Portuguese umpires prominent once more at Wimbledon". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "ITF Annual Report & Accounts 2009". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Australian Open 2015, Julien Benneteau vs Benjamin Becker". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "The umpire strikes back". 14 January 2006. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "ITF Annual Report & Accounts 2010". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "ITF: Annual Report and Accounts 2012". Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Official of the year". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Tennis tidings of 2014". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "2015 Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Getting to Know Mo(hamed Lahyani)". 2011-08-22. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "Lahyani presides over longest match". ESPN. 2010-06-24. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Distinction suprême". Roland Garros. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "You can't be serious". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "RFET, Real Federación Española de Tenis, Noticias, El barcelonés Jaume Campistol asciende a categoría "Oro" de Juez de Silla". www.rfet.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Egyptian Tennis Federation- ETF". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Tennis-Schiedsrichter". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Tennis umpire Alison Lang keeping Wimbledon stars in check". Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Sitting Down With Chair Umpire Eva Asderaki". 2011-08-02. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Chair umpire Eva Asderaki-Moore makes history at U.S. Open". Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- "Overruling Sexism: Is it unstated in tennis officiating?". 2014-06-02. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Dillman, Lisa (January 22, 2005). "It's a Judgment Call as Umpire Returns to Chair". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "ITF: Annual Report and Accounts 2011" (PDF). Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- "SRPKINJA SUDI NADALU I FEDERERU: Marijana Veljović dobila Zlatni bedž za sudije u stolici". Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- "Siden mangler". Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- "Umpiring: Aurélie Tourte, a woman in the chair". 2016-01-18. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "Meet the gold badge umpires who officiate at Roland-Garros". 2019-05-31. Retrieved June 15, 2019.
- "2 nouvelles étoiles accrochées au sapin…. | Arbitrage Tennis". Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "Parabéns para a árbitra brasileira Paula Vieira Souza por ter conquistado o "gold badge", entrando para o seletíssimo grupo dos melhores árbitros do mundo! #RioOpenpic.twitter.com/SPh7IJkLcr". 2017-12-18. Retrieved December 18, 2017.
- Roberstson, Max (1974). The Encyclopedia of Tennis. p. 113.
- "Bruno Rebeuh, juge de paix à Roland-Garros". L'Express. 1997-06-05. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Top Official Tony Nimmons Celebrates Career, Calls for Tennis Diversity". USTA. Retrieved September 14, 2012.
- "Cédric Mourier a dirigé dimanche dernier sa 5e finale du simple homme de Roland Garros".
- "Damian Steiner history". 2013-01-10. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Wimbledon 2019: Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in marathon Wimbledon final to capture 16th Grand Slam". 2019-07-14. Retrieved 14 July 2019.
- Bonk, Thomas (September 3, 1991). "U.S. OPEN: This One Is Poor Connors". L.A. Times. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Head of Officiating Enric Molina to leave ITF". ITF. February 12, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2016.
- Brown, Jonathan (April 16, 2008). "McEnroe was right on that call? You cannot be serious!". London: The Independent. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "ENAT, escuela nacional de árbitros de tenis". ENAT, escuela nacional de árbitros de tenis de Argentina. Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-27. Retrieved 2016-07-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Edwards, Bill (November 28, 1995). "OBITUARY: Frank Hammond". London: The Independent. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Freddie Sore". London: The Telegraph. June 22, 2004. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Freddie Sore dies at age 93". The Daily Telegraph. London. June 22, 2004. Retrieved September 16, 2012.
- "Armstrong Calls Time As Chair Umpire - ATP World Tour - Tennis".
- "Andy Murray wins first Slam as Novak Djokovic's rally fizzles". ESPN. 2012-09-11.
- "Competitors and Umpires". Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Evans, Richard (September 27, 2005). "Jeremy Shales". London: The Guardian. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Umpire debuts as the voice of Wimbledon". BBC East Midlands. June 29, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- "Kerrilyn Cramer – Tennis Official, Chair Umpire". Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Lars Graff – An Umpire With Gravitas". 2018-09-28. Archived from the original on May 9, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Rusedski fined for outburst". BBC. 26 June 2003. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- McCarvel, Nick (April 5, 2013). "Tennis umpire, and cult hero, Lynn Welch retires". USA Today. Retrieved June 14, 2013.
- Bishop, Greg (2011-09-06). "Umpires skip US Open". The New York Times. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "USTA Umpire". Los Angeles Times. May 28, 1989.
- "The Best Seat in Tennis".
- "http://www.itftennis.com/news/277298.aspx". www.itftennis.com. Retrieved 2018-01-10. External link in
- "Umpires Say the Days of Tennis Brats Over". Los Angeles Times. May 28, 1989.
- "Si ritira Romano Grillotti da giudice di sedia, dopo 23 anni di professionismo". Retrieved March 8, 2012.
- "Tennis-Open-Woman umpire makes grand slam history". Reuters. January 28, 2007. Retrieved March 7, 2012.