This is a list of terrorist incidents which took place in 2016, including attacks by violent non-state actors for political motives. Note that terrorism related to drug wars and cartel violence is not included in these lists. Ongoing military conflicts are listed separately.
- To be included, entries must be notable (have a stand-alone article) and described by a consensus of reliable sources as "terrorism".
- List entries must comply with the guidelines outlined in the manual of style under MOS:TERRORIST.
- Casualties figures in this list are the total casualties of the incident including immediate casualties and later casualties (such as people who succumbed to their wounds long after the attacks occurred).
- Casualties listed are the victims. Perpetrator casualties are listed separately (e.g. x (+y) indicate that x victims and y perpetrators were killed/injured).
- Casualty totals may be underestimated or unavailable due to a lack of information. A figure with a plus (+) sign indicates that at least that many people have died (e.g. 10+ indicates that at least 10 people have died) – the actual toll could be considerably higher. A figure with a plus (+) sign may also indicate that over that number of people have died.
- If casualty figures are 20 or more, they will be shown in bold. In addition, figures for casualties more than 50 will also be underlined.
- In addition to the guidelines above, the table also includes the following categories:
- 0 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 1–19 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 20–49 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 50–99 people were killed/injured by the incident.
- 100+ people were killed/injured by the incident.
Total Incidents: 140
|Jan 1||Mass shooting||3||7||Tel Aviv, Israel||January 2016 Tel Aviv shooting||A gunman fired into a crowded pub and several other businesses in Dizengoff Street. The attacker then took a cab and then shot the driver dead. before he was found by counter-terrorism forces in his hometown of Ar'ara on 8 January and killed during a shootout.||Nasha'at Melhem||ISIL-inspired|
|Jan 2||Mass shooting||8 (+6)||20||Pathankot, India||2016 Pathankot attack||Militants disguised as soldiers attacked an Indian air base killing seven security force members, including Subedar Fateh Singh, who won gold and silver medals in the first Commonwealth Shooting Championships held in 1995, before being killed after a 15-hour gunfight. A civilian was also killed.||Jaish-e-Mohammed||Insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir|
|Jan 7||Car bombing||60||200||Zliten, Libya||Zliten truck bombing||A suicide truck bomb detonated at the al-Jahfal police training camp while around 400 young policemen were being trained.||ISIL (suspected)||Libyan Civil War|
|Jan 7||Melee attack||0 (+1)||1||Paris, France||January 2016 Paris police station attack||An asylum seeker shouted "Allahu Akbar!" outside a police station in Goutte d'Or, near Montmartre, where police shot and killed him while a by-passer was shot. Reports say he was wielding a knife and fake suicide vest.||Tarek Belgacem (ISIL-inspired)||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jan 7||Shooting||0||1 (+1)||Philadelphia, United States||2016 shooting of Philadelphia police officer||In West Philadelphia, a gunman shot police officer Jesse Hartnett, who was driving a marked police car. Hartnett survived and was able to shoot the attacker.||Edward Archer||Islamic terrorism|
|Jan 8||Melee attack||0 (+1)||3 (+1)||Hurghada, Egypt||2016 Hurghada attack||Two militants armed with a melee weapon and a signal flare, arrived by sea and stormed Bella Vista Hotel, stabbing three foreign tourists from Sweden and Austria. One of the assailants was shot dead and the other was wounded by security forces. ISIL claimed responsibility.||ISIL||Insurgency in Egypt|
|Jan 11||Car bombing, hostage taking||12+ (+6)||19||Baghdad, Iraq||January 2016 Iraq attacks||Attack on the al-Jawhara mall after a car bomb exploded outside. Hostages were taken by six gunmen.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jan 11||Suicide bombing||20||Unknown||Miqdadiyah, Iraq||January 2016 Iraq attacks||Double blast at a cafe. A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-rigged vehicle after people gathered at the scene.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jan 11||Bombings||100+||Unknown||Sharaban, Iraq||January 2016 Iraq attacks||Two huge bomb blasts, one at a tea shop and the other at a mosque.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jan 12||Suicide bomber||13 (+1)||9||Istanbul, Turkey||January 2016 Istanbul bombing||A suicide bomber blew himself up near Hippodrome of Constantinople near the Sultan Ahmed Mosque.||ISIL||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|Jan 13||Suicide bombing||15 (+1)||25||Quetta, Pakistan||January 2016 Quetta suicide bombing||A suicide bomber detonated himself near security personal vehicles close to a polio centre.||Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan or Jaishul Islam||Insurgency in Khyber Pakhtunkwa|
|Jan 14||Suicide bombings, shootout||4 (+4)||24||Jakarta, Indonesia||2016 Jakarta attacks||Several explosions followed by gunfire occurred with a Starbucks and a police station appearing to be the main targets. The attack involved seven participants.||ISIL||Islamic terrorism|
|Jan 15||Siege||63||Unknown||Eel-Adde, Somalia||Battle of El Adde||Massive attack on a Kenyan-run African Union base in Gedo.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Jan 15-16||Mass shooting, arson, hostage-taking, siege||30 (+4)||56+||Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso||2016 Ouagadougou attacks||Gunmen with heavy weapons attacked the Cappuccino restaurant and the Hotel Splendid in the city centre, where more than 100 hostages were taken. al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb claimed responsibility for the attack.||AQIM||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|Jan 16||Massacre||135-300+||Unknown||Deir ez-Zor, Syria||Deir ez-Zor offensive (January 2016)||Militants attacked the neighbourhoods of Begayliya and Ayash, killing dozens in an execution-style mass murder. International sources reported that the attack was against Syrian Army personnel and killed 85 Syrian soldiers along with 50 civilians, while Syrian sources said over 300 people were killed, most of whom were children and women.||ISIL||Syrian Civil War|
|Jan 20||Mass murder||20 (+4)||60||Charsadda, Pakistan||Bacha Khan University attack||Several gunmen, some equipped with suicide vests, opened fire on Bacha Khan University. At least four of the attackers were also killed during the attack. More than 200 students were rescued from the building.||Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan||Insurgency in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa|
|Jan 22||Suicide bombing, mass shooting||20 (+4)||17||Mogadishu, Somalia||January 2016 Mogadishu attack||Al-Shabaab militants struck with a suicide car bomb at the gate of a seafood restaurant overlooking Lido Beach. Another blast struck about an hour later as government soldiers laid siege to the restaurant. After the blasts, militants entered the near crowded hotel, some of them by boat, and attacked civilians within.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Jan 25||Suicide bombing||28 (+4)||65||Bodo, Cameroon||2016 Bodo bombings||Four suicide bombers attacked a busy market close to the Nigerian border.||Boko Haram (suspected)||Boko Haram insurgency|
|Jan 27||Car bomb||55||Unknown||Ramadi, Iraq||2016 Ramadi attack||Up to a dozen car bombs were set off attacking the tenth Iraqi Army division.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jan 30||Bombing||86||Unknown||Dalori, Nigeria||2016 Dalori attack||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|Jan 31||Bombing||60+||110||Damascus, Syria||2016 Sayyidah Zaynab bombings||Twin blasts in the mainly Shi'ite neighbourhood of Sayeda Zeinab.||ISIL||Syrian Civil War|
|Feb 2||Bombing||0 (+1)||2||Somalia||Daallo Airlines Flight 159||20 minutes after take-off, a passenger in Daallo Airlines Flight 159, detonated an explosive device in the Airbus A321, opening a hole in the fuselage behind the R2 door. The crew turned the plane around and successfully performed an emergency landing at Mogadishu's Aden Adde International Airport. Two injuries were reported and a body, believed to be that of the perpetrator was found on the ground.||al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Feb 8||Execution||300||0||Mosul, Iraq||2016 Mosul attack||Islamic State executed over 300 police and army personnel, as well as civil activists by firing squad.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Feb 11||Shooting||0 (+1)||4||Columbus, Ohio, United States||2016 Ohio restaurant machete attack||Machete attack at a restaurant; the attacker was shot and killed by police at the end of a car chase.||Islamic terrorist (suspected)|
|Feb 17||Suicide car bombing||30||61||Ankara, Turkey||February 2016 Ankara bombing||Attack on army buses near the central square of Kizilay, home to many ministries, army headquarters and the Turkish parliament.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Feb 18||Bombing||6||1||Diyarbakır, Turkey||2016 Diyarbakır bombing||A bomb killed at least 6 soldiers and another was injured.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Feb 21||Bombing||57||100+||Homs, Syria||February 2016 Homs bombings||Two bombings occurred in pro-Government, mainly Shia inhabited, Zahraa neighbourhood. The first blast was caused by a car bomb and the second one was a result of a car bomb or a suicide bombing.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|Feb 21||Bombing||134 (+2)||180||Sayyidah Zaynab, Syria||February 2016 Sayyidah Zaynab bombings||Militants detonated a car bomb and later launched two suicide bombings about 400 meters from Sayyidah Zaynab Mosque, a Shia shrine, believed to contain the grave of Prophet Muhammad's granddaughter. The attack occurred when pupils were leaving school in the area. At least 60 shops were damaged as well as cars in the area.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|Feb 26||Suicide bombing, shooting||14 (+5)||Unknown||Mogadishu, Somalia||February 2016 Mogadishu attack||A suicide bomber blew the entrance of the SYL hotel allowing gunmen to storm the hotel and clash with the hotel guards. Government forces arrived and ended the attack.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Feb 28||Bomb||78 (+2)||100+||Sadr City Baghdad, Iraq||February 2016 Baghdad bombings||Two bombs went off at a crowded market selling mobile phones in the mainly Shiite Muslim district.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Mar 7||Clashes, raid||17 (+36)||Unknown (+6)||Ben Guerdane, Tunisia||Battle of Ben Guerdane||Attackers from Libya attacked a barracks. 36 attackers were killed by the army.||Islamic State||Second Libyan Civil War|
|Mar 8||Melee attack||1 (+1)||11||Jaffa, Tel Aviv, Israel||2016 Tel Aviv knife attack||A Palestinian man from Qalqilya stabbed three people at the Jaffa Port and then stabbed others near a restaurant in Charles Clore Park. One American tourist was killed and nine others were wounded. The assailant was shot dead by police. US Vice President Joe Biden was at a visit, one mile (1.6 km) from the incident.||Bashar Massalha
(Palestinian lone wolf)
|Mar 13||Shooting||19 (+3)||33||Grand-Bassam, Ivory Coast||2016 Grand-Bassam shootings||Gunmen attacked two hotels at a beach resort popular with Western tourists. Witnesses say the gunmen were shouting "Allahu akbar" during the gunfire.||AQIM||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|Mar 13||Car bombing, shooting||37 (+1)||125||Ankara, Turkey||March 2016 Ankara bombing||Car bombing in the Kizilay area. Gunfire was heard after the blast.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Mar 16||Bombing||15||25||Peshawar, Pakistan||2016 Peshawar bus bombing||A bomb detonated in a bus carrying government employees.||Unknown||War in North-West Pakistan|
|Mar 16||Suicide bombings||22||18||Maiduguri, Nigeria||2016 Maiduguri suicide bombings||Two female suicide bombers detonate their explosives at a mosque during morning prayers.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|Mar 19||Suicide bombing||4+ (+1)||36||Istanbul, Turkey||March 2016 Istanbul bombing||A suicide bomber hit a busy tourist area.||Islamic State||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|Mar 19||Mortar attack, shooting||13 (+5)||0||Arish, Egypt||2016 Arish attack||Mortar attack on a checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula. Security officials said five attackers were killed in clashes near the checkpoint after the attack.||Wilayat Sayna||Sinai Insurgency|
|Mar 22||suicide bombing||32 (+3)||340||Brussels and Zaventem, Belgium||2016 Brussels bombings||Four coordinated nail bombings: two at Brussels Airport in Zaventem, and one at Maalbeek metro station in Brussels. The fourth bomb did not go off.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Mar 25||Suicide bombing||41 (+1)||65||Iskandariya, Iraq||Iskandariya suicide bombing||A suicide bomber blew himself up in a crowd after a football game in a mixed Sunni-Shiite area. The mayor of the town was among those killed.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Mar 25||Car bombing||26||Unknown||Aden, Yemen||2016 Aden car bombing||Triple suicide car bomb that hit roadblocks manned by loyalist forces. Two car bombs exploded in the al-Shaab area in the west of Aden and an ambulance exploded against a checkpoint near Mansoura in the center of the city.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|Mar 27||Suicide bombing||72||200||Lahore, Pakistan||2016 Lahore suicide bombing||Suicide bombing that hit the main entrance of Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park.||Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan||War in North-West Pakistan|
|Mar 31||Car bomb||7||27||Diyarbakir, Turkey||March 2016 Diyarbakır bombing||Seven police officers were killed and twenty seven wounded when the minibus they were travelling in was hit by a car bomb.||PKK||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Apr 10||Ambush||11||6||Santo Domingo de Acobamba District, Peru||Hatun Asha ambush||The ambush began at approximately 5:00 (a.m.), when guerrillas targeted a military convoy along a rural road transporting election ballots and related materials and also serving as guards for polling stations. The ambush left a total of nine government soldiers and two civilian contractors dead. Two hours after the attack, a second attack occurred in Mayapo, on the Llochegua District in Ayacucho, where one police officer was injured and taken to a hospital in Pichari.||Shining Path||Internal conflict in Peru|
|Apr 18||Bombing||0 (+1)||21||Jerusalem, Israel||2016 Jerusalem bombing||Explosion on board a bus.||Hamas||Israeli–Palestinian conflict|
|Apr 19||Suicide car bombing, shooting||64 (+1)||347||Kabul, Afghanistan||2016 Kabul attack||Suicide bomb and gun assault on a government security building during morning rush hour.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|Apr 27||Suicide bombing||0 (+1)||13||Bursa, Turkey||2016 Bursa bombing||A suicide bomber blew herself up in the 14th century Grand Mosque.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Apr 30||Suicide car bombing, bombing||38 (+1)||86||Baghdad, Iraq||April 2016 Baghdad bombing||A suicide bomber driving a car attacked a group of Shi'ite Muslim pilgrims in a southeastern suburb of Baghdad. A second explosion struck near a Shi'ite militia checkpoint in the Dora district.||Islamic State and Unknown||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 1||Car bomb||2||23||Gaziantep, Turkey||May 2016 Gaziantep bombing||Two policemen were killed and 22 others (four being civilians) were wounded after a car bomb exploded outside police headquarters.||Islamic State||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|May 1||Suicide bombing||33+ (+2)||75||Samawa, Iraq||2016 Samawa bombing||||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 10||Car bombing||3||Diyarbakir, Turkey||May 2016 Diyarbakır bombing||Car bomb targeting a police vehicle.||PKK||Kurdish–Turkish conflict (2015–present)|
|May 11||Suicide and car bombings||103||165+||Baghdad, Iraq||11 May 2016 Baghdad bombings||||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 12||Massacre||49+||Unknown||Zara'a, Syria||Zara'a massacre||Militant attack on an Alawite village in Hama Governorate. Around 70 other civilians, including women and children were kidnapped and taken to Al-Rastan.||Al-Nusra Front and Ahrar ash-Sham||Syrian civil war|
|May 13||Shooting||16+||30+||Balad, Iraq||Real Madrid Fan Club massacre||Real Madrid fans were killed in an attack on their clubhouse.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 15||Suicide bombing||14+ (+9, maybe more)||20+||Taji, Iraq||2016 Iraq Gas Plant attack||Suicide bomb attacks in a state owned cooking gas plant.||ISIL||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 15||Suicide bombing||47+ (+1)||60+||Mukalla, Yemen||May 2016 Yemen police bombings||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|May 17||Suicide and car bombings, shooting||101+||194+||Baghdad, Iraq||17 May 2016 Baghdad bombings||Series of eight attacks.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 23||Suicide bombing||45+||60+||Aden, Yemen||23 May 2016 Yemen bombings||Army recruits are killed and 60 others injured in a suicide car bomb attack.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|May 23||Suicide bombing||184 (5)||200||Jableh and Tartus, Syria||23 May 2016 Syrian bombings||Series of car bomb and suicide attacks in government-controlled territory that hosts Russian military bases.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|May 29||Suicide bombing||12+ (+1)||~15||Balad, Iraq||Real Madrid Fan Club massacre||Real Madrid fans were killed and more injured when watching the 2016 UEFA Champions League Final.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|May 31||Kidnapping and execution||17+ (+6)||Around 220 kidnapped||Kunduz-Takhar highway, Afghanistan||Kunduz-Takhar highway hostage crisis||The Taliban executed at least 17 people after kidnapping around 220 people on buses and in cars at a fake checkpoint. 6 people were killed by Afghan forces when they attempted to flee the scene. Around 20 hostages were moved to Char Dara District.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan (2001–present)|
|Jun 1||Suicide car bombing, hostage-taking||16 (+3)||55||Mogadishu, Somalia||June 2016 Mogadishu attack||A suicide bomber detonated a car bomb outside the Ambassador Hotel after which two gunmen opened fire on the hotel and took hostages before being killed by police.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Jun 5-6||Spree shooting, shootouts||10 (+13)||37+||Aktobe, Kazakhstan||2016 Aktobe shootings||Over 20 militants attacked a military facility and two firearm stores. The attacks killed a clerk, a military officer and a serviceman at a national guard facility. Another nine servicemen were wounded. The police launched a counter-terrorism operation in which it managed to kill four militants and detain seven but others escaped.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism|
|Jun 7||Bombing||11||36||Istanbul, Turkey||June 2016 Istanbul bombing||A bomb exploded on a police bus in the Vezneciler district||TAK||Kurdish-Turkish conflict|
|Jun 8||Car bombing||5||30||Midyat, Turkey||June 2016 Midyat car bombing||PKK (Suspected)||Kurdish-Turkish conflict|
|Jun 8||Shooting||4||18 (+1)||Tel Aviv, Israel||June 2016 Tel Aviv shooting||Two Palestinian gunmen opened fire in a Max Brenner restaurant killing diners. Both perpetrators were arrested.||Khalid al-Mahmara and Muhammad Ahmad Moussa Mahmara (inspired by the Islamic State)||Israeli–Palestinian conflict|
|Jun 8||Kidnapping, shooting, and execution||16+||42+ more kidnapped||Kunduz, Afghanistan||Kunduz-Takhar highway hostage crisis||In a continuation of a prior event, 12 hostages were executed, and 42 more people were kidnapped. Four more people were also killed during the new kidnappings.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|Jun 12||Shooting||49 (+1)||53||Orlando, Florida, United States||Orlando nightclub shooting||An alleged lone-wolf gunman entered the Pulse gay nightclub. The perpetrator was shot dead by SWAT units.||Lone wolf/Omar Mateen||Islamic terrorism|
|Jun 13||Melee attack, hostage-taking||2 (+1)||0||Magnanville, France||June 2016 Paris police stabbing||A man shouting "Islamist slogans" stabbed his neighbor, a 42-year-old police officer, to death before taking the officer's wife and son hostage. Police raided the house and killed the attacker and discovered the officer's wife dead but his son alive.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jun 16||Shooting and stabbing||1||1||Birstall, United Kingdom||Murder of Jo Cox||Labour Member of Parliament Jo Cox was assassinated by a neo-Nazi constituent.||Thomas Mair|
|Jun 20||Suicide bombing||16 (+1)||9||Kabul, Afghanistan||Kabul attack on Canadian Embassy Guards||Afghan, Nepali, and Indian security contractors were killed when a suicide bomber detonated outside the minibus they were in. The people killed were security guards at the Canadian embassy.||Islamic State (claimed), Taliban (claimed)||War in Afghanistan|
|Jun 25||Suicide car bombing, hostage-taking||15+||25+||Mogadishu, Somalia||June 2016 Mogadishu attacks||Terrorists detonated a car bomb outside a hotel popular with foreigners and tourists before storming the building and taking hostages.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Jun 27||Bombings||43+ to 50 (+8)||37||Mukalla, Yemen||June 2016 Mukalla attacks||At least seven bombings were simultaneously targeted checkpoints in the port city, followed by a fourth that struck the entrance to a military camp.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|Jun 28||Grenade||0||8||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia||2016 Movida Bar grenade attack||Grenade attack on patrons at the Movida nightclub watching a UEFA European Championships match. The bombing is believed to be the first IS-related attack on Malaysia. Two people were arrested in July. However, Muhammad Wanndy denied that he ordered the attack and said that the two arrested men are Islamic State supporters.||Islamic State|
|Jun 28||Suicide bombings, shooting||45 (+3)||239||Istanbul, Turkey||2016 Atatürk Airport attack||Three suicide attackers opened fire and blew themselves up at Atatürk Airport.||Islamic State||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|Jul 1||Shooting, hostage-taking||24 (+5)||50||Dhaka, Bangladesh||July 2016 Dhaka attack||Gunmen attacked a restaurant popular with foreigners in the wealthy Gulshan Thana area.||Islamic State||Internal conflict in Bangladesh, Attacks by Islamic extremists in Bangladesh|
|Jul 3||Bombing||342+ (+1)||246+||Baghdad, Iraq||2016 Karrada bombing||Series of coordinated bomb attacks. Early in the evening, a large car bomb exploded in the middle of a busy market. The blast occurred in the Baghdad neighborhood of Karrada, which contains Shia Muslims and a large Christian minority. A second car bombing in the district of Sha'ab killed at least 5 people and injured 16, while two more bombings killed at least two more people.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jul 4||Suicide bombing||4 (+4)||7||Jeddah, Qatif and Medina, Saudi Arabia||2016 Saudi Arabia bombings||A man blew himself up after police tried to arrest him near the United States consulate. Two Saudi police officers were injured. Two suicide bombers targeted a Shia mosque in Qatif, but failed to harm anyone but themselves. A suicide bomber targeted security forces outside the Prophet's Mosque in Medina killing 4 and wounding 5 others.||Islamic State||Terrorism in Saudi Arabia|
|Jul 7||Suicide bombing, shooting||56+ to 100+ (+3)||75+||Balad, Iraq||Muhammad ibn Ali al-Hadi Mausoleum attack||A suicide car bomb blew up at the gate of the Mausoleum of Sayid Mohammed bin Ali al-Hadi. Gunmen then entered the mausoleum and started shooting. Islamic State claimed that they killed over 100 people.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Jul 14||Vehicular Assault||86 (+1)||434||Nice, France||2016 Nice truck attack||A 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jul 18||Shooting||10 (+1)||10+||Almaty, Kazakhstan||2016 shooting of Almaty police officers||Attack on a police station. One of the attackers was detained.||Ruslan Kulikbayev|
|Jul 18||Melee attack||0 (+1)||5||Würzburg, Germany||2016 Würzburg train attack||A 17-year-old Afghan asylum seeker attacked passengers on a train with an axe and a knife. The attacker was killed by police.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jul 18||Shooting||17||35||Nampala, Mali||2016 Nampala attack||Gunmen attacked a Malian Army base close to the border with Mauritania. 17 soldiers were killed and 35 others were wounded in the attack, which was jointly claimed by three separate groups.||Macina Liberation Front
Ethnic Peul militants
|Northern Mali conflict|
|Jul 22||Shooting||9 (+1)||36||Munich, Germany||2016 Munich shooting||A gunman opened fire on a shopping mall before committing suicide. The shooter was a bullied man who was said to be obsessed with mass shootings. The massacre was conducted on the anniversary of the 2011 Norway attacks. The suspect was described as being a "very nationalistic" racist, with him boasting about similarities with Adolf Hitler.||David Sonboly||Terrorism in Germany|
|Jul 23||Suicide bombing||80+ (+2)||260+||Kabul, Afghanistan||July 2016 Kabul bombing||Two suicide bombers targeted ethnic Hazaras at a rally.||Islamic State||War in Afghanistan|
|Jul 24||Suicide bombing||0 (+1)||12||Ansbach, Germany||2016 Ansbach bombing||A 27-year-old Syrian refugee detonated a bomb at a wine bar, killing only himself. He had previously been denied entry to a nearby music festival.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jul 26||Melee Attack, hostage-taking||1 (+2)||1||Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray, France||2016 Normandy church attack||Two assailants killed a priest and seriously wounded a woman in a church. The assailants were killed by French Special Forces.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Jul 27||Suicide bombing||57+ (+2)||171+||Qamishli Syria||27 July 2016 Qamishli bombings||A terrorist detonated his van packed with explosives at a checkpoint.||Islamic State||Syrian Civil War|
|Jul 31||Shootings||3||77 (+3)||Yerevan, Armenia||2016 Yerevan hostage crisis||About 20 gunmen took control of a police station, killing two officers. 77 people were injured and 100 others were arrested. 3 gunmen were also injured. Hostages were taken. The gunmen surrendered on July 31, two weeks after seizing the police station.||Daredevils of Sassoun||Nagorno-Karabakh conflict|
|Aug 5||Shooting, bombing||14||15||Kokrajhar, India||2016 Kokrajhar shooting||Six terrorists, suspected to be Bodo militants, attacked the Balajan Tinali market area with AK-47s and grenades.||National Democratic Front of Bodoland (suspected)||Assam separatist movements|
|Aug 6||Melee attack||0 (+1)||2||Charleroi, Belgium||2016 Charleroi attack||Two policewomen were attacked by man wielding a machete and shouting ‘Allahu Akbar'. The assailant was shot and killed by a third officer.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Aug 8||Shooting and suicide bombing||93+ (+1)||130+||Quetta, Pakistan||August 2016 Quetta attacks||Suicide bomb attack at a hospital.||Taliban||War in North-West Pakistan|
|Aug 14||Melee attack||64+ to 101||Unknown||Beni City, Democratic Republic of the Congo||Beni massacre||Allied Democratic Forces (Suspected)||Allied Democratic Forces insurgency|
|Aug 14||Attack||11–15 (+8)||Unknown||Tshimbulu, Democratic Republic of the Congo||Tshimbulu incident||Policemen intervened in an attack by a militia. 11 policemen were killed and 8 terrorists were also killed, with 40 militants being captured. The leader of the militia was also killed. Four policemen went missing.||"Militia"||Kivu Conflict|
|Aug 15||Suicide bombing||50||50||Idlib, Syria||2016 Atmeh attack||Suicide bombing on a bus carrying opposition fighters at the entrance of Atmeh camp.||Unknown||Syrian Civil War|
|Aug 17||Shooting and stabbing||1 (+2 attackers)||1||Moscow oblast, Russia||2016 Shchelkovo Highway police station attack||Two men with firearms and axes attacked the police station on 20th kilometer of Shchelkovo Highway near Moscow. Two traffic police officers were seriously injured, one of them died in hospital. Attackers, natives of the Chechen Republic, were killed during the attack. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack.||ISIL||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Aug 20||Suicide bombing||54+ (+1)||66||Gaziantep, Turkey||August 2016 Gaziantep suicide bombing||Suicide bomb attack at a Kurdish wedding ceremony near the Syrian border. The suicide bomber was aged 12 to 14, reports say.||Islamic State||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|Aug 21||Suicide car bombing||20 (+2)||30||Galkayo, Somalia||2016 Galkayo bombings||Double suicide car bombing in the semi-autonomous Puntland region.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Aug 24||Bombing, shooting||17+||50+||Kabul, Afghanistan||American University of Afghanistan attack||Bombing and shooting at the American University of Afghanistan.||Taliban (suspected)||War in Afghanistan|
|Aug 29||Bombing||71+ (+1)||Unknown||Aden, Yemen||August 2016 Aden bombing||Suicide car bombing at a military facility.||Islamic State||Yemeni Civil War|
|Aug 30||Suicide car bombing||0 (+1)||3||Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan||Chinese Embassy in Bishkek bombing||A car rammed through the gates of the Chinese Embassy and exploded, killing the driver.||East Turkistan Islamic Movement (suspected)||Xinjiang conflict|
|Sep 2||Bombing||15||70||Davao City, Philippines||2016 Davao City bombing||A bomb exploded at a night market.||Islamic State||Moro conflict|
|Sep 5||Bombing||48-70+ (+1)||Unknown||Tartus, Homs, Damascus and Hasakah, Syria||5 September 2016 Syria bombings||A car bomb detonated on a coastal highway in Tartus, killing more than 5 people, followed by a suicide bomber exploding in the crowd gathering in the area. A car bomb then hit a Syrian Army checkpoint in the Zahra district of Homs and killed 2 soldiers. A motorcycle bomb detonated near an Asayish checkpoint in Hasakah and killed at least 5 people, with an explosion in the capital city of Damascus following soon after.||Islamic State||Syrian civil war|
|Sep 5||Suicide bombings||58 (+5)||109||Kabul, Afghanistan||September 2016 Kabul attacks||Double suicide attack in rush hour near the Ministry of Defence. A third explosion caused one death. Other attacks also occurred that lasted overnight.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|Sep 10||Car bombings||40 (+2)||60||Baghdad, Iraq||9 September 2016 Baghdad bombings||Two car bombs exploded outside a crowded shopping center. Most of the victims were Shi'a Muslims.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Sep 16||Suicide Bombing||30 (+1)||28||Mohmand Agency, Pakistan||2016 September Pakistan mosque bombing||A suicide bomber attacked a Sunni mosque.||Jamaat-ul-Ahrar||War in North-West Pakistan|
|Sep 17–19||Bombings, shootout||0||32 (+1)||New York and New Jersey, United States||2016 New York and New Jersey bombings||Around 9:30 am, a pipe bomb exploded in a trash can in Seaside Park, New Jersey, but no one was injured. Later that day, at around 8:30 pm, a homemade pressure cooker bomb exploded in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, injuring 29 people. A second pressure cooker bomb was promptly discovered four blocks away, but did not detonate. The following day, two homeless men discovered a backpack containing several pipe bombs in Elizabeth, New Jersey. On September 19, the perpetrator was captured in Linden, New Jersey, after a shootout with police which left three officers and the suspect wounded.||Ahmad Khan Rahami (suspect)||Islamic terrorism|
|Sep 18||Shooting||19 (+4 Attackers)||30||Uri, India||2016 Uri attack||Seventeen soldiers were killed in an attack on a base in Kashmir.||Unknown||Kashmir conflict|
|Oct 5||Melee attack||0||3 (+1)||Brussels, Belgium||2016 stabbing of Brussels police officers||Three police officers were attacked by a man wielding a machete in the Schaerbeek neighborhood. Two of them suffered stab wounds, while the third was assaulted but otherwise uninjured. Several stations and the anti-terrorism prosecution office was also evacuated due to a bomb-alert.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Oct 6||Car bombing||0||10||Istanbul, Turkey||October 2016 Istanbul bombing||Car bomb near a police station.||PKK (suspected)||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Oct 9||Shooting||2 (+1)||6||East Jerusalem||2016 Jerusalem shooting||A Palestinian arrived at a tram stop in his car and shot "randomly" at passers-by. A 60-year-old woman and a police officer were killed; the attacker himself was pursued by police and later shot dead.||Palestinian lone wolf||Israeli–Palestinian conflict|
|Oct 9||Car bombing||15||27||Şemdinli, Turkey||2016 Şemdinli bombing||PKK||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Oct 15||Suicide bombing, Shooting||53+ (+ at least 6)||44+||Baghdad, Iraq||October 2016 Baghdad attacks||Suicide bomber targeted a mourning tent. In a second incident, the wife and three children of Numan al-Mujamaie, the leader of the Ishaqi Mobilization militia, were killed when gunmen stormed his house in the town of Ishaq in his absence.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Oct 16||Stabbing||1||1||Hamburg, Germany||2016 Hamburg stabbing attack||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Oct 24||Hostage taking, shooting, suicide bombing||62 (+3)||117+||Quetta, Pakistan||2016 Quetta police training college attack||At least five militants stormed a police training center and took between 200 and 500 cadets hostage. Three of the attackers were killed and at least 60 people were killed and 120 were injured. Several hostages escaped as well.||Islamic State and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi||Sectarianism in Pakistan|
|Nov 4||Car bombing||11||100+||Diyarbakir, Turkey||November 2016 Diyarbakır bombing||Islamic State||Turkey–ISIL conflict|
|Nov 8||Executions||300+||Unknown||Mosul, Iraq||Hamam al-Alil massacre||Killing of civilians who refused to fight for ISIL.||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Nov 10||Suicide car bombing||6 (+1)||119||Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan||German consulate in Mazar-i-Sharif attack||A truck bomb exploded outside the German consulate.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|Nov 12||Suicide bombing||5 (+1)||16||Bagram, Afghanistan||2016 Bagram Airfield bombing||A suicide bomber exploded outside the U.S. air base.||Taliban||War in Afghanistan|
|Nov 12||Suicide bombing||55 (+1)||102+||Khuzdar, Pakistan||2016 Khuzdar bombing||A suicide bomber detonated in the crowded Shah Noorani Shrine in Hub town, Lasbela District, Balochistan.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism|
|Nov 13||Bombing||1||3 (+1)||Samarinda, Indonesia||2016 Samarinda church bombing||Explosion outside a church.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism|
|Nov 24||Suicide truck bombing||125 (+1)||95||Hillah, Iraq||November 2016 Hillah suicide truck bombing||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
|Nov 26||Car bombing||20||Unknown||Mogadishu, Somalia||November Mogadishu car bombing||Car bomb near a market.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Nov 26-30||Clash||0 (+63)||30 (+17)||Butig, Philippines||November 2016 Butig clash||The Maute Group briefly seized control of parts of the town, in retaliation of an offensive launched by the Armed Forces of the Philippines. Government forces killed at least 63 militants and recaptured the town.||Maute Group||Moro conflict|
|Nov 28||Vehicular assault, stabbing||0 (+1)||11||Columbus, United States||2016 Ohio State University attack||A student who was a Somali refugee rammed his car into a group of students at the Ohio State University. The perpetrator then stabbed several others before he was killed on the scene.||Abdul Razak Ali Artan||Islamic terrorism|
|Nov 29||Shooting||7 (+3)||Unknown||Nagrota, India||2016 Nagrota army base attack||Attack on an Indian Army base.||Pakistan sponsored terrorists||Kashmir conflict|
|Dec 9||Suicide bombings||57 (+2)||177||Madagali, Nigeria||Madagali suicide bombings||2 explosions.||Boko Haram||Boko Haram insurgency|
|Dec 10||Suicide bombing||50+ (+1)||70+||Aden, Yemen||December 2016 Aden suicide bombings||Soldiers killed.||Islamic State – Yemen Province||Yemeni Civil War|
|Dec 10||Car bombing, suicide bombing||46 (+2)||155||Istanbul, Turkey||December 2016 Istanbul bombings||Two bombs.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Dec 11||Suicide bombing||29 (+1)||50+||Mogadishu, Somalia||December 2016 Mogadishu suicide bombing||Suicide bombing on a police station near the port.||Al-Shabaab||War in Somalia|
|Dec 11||Suicide bombing||27 (+1)||47||Cairo, Egypt||Botroseya Church bombing||Explosion in a Coptic cathedral.||Islamic State – Sinai Province||Insurgency in Egypt|
|Dec 16||Shooting||12||Unknown||Nassoumbou, Burkina Faso||2016 Nassoumbou attack||Several dozen heavily armed gunmen attacked an army outpost near the border with Mali.||Ansar ul Islam||Insurgency in the Maghreb|
|Dec 17||Suicide car bombing||14 (+1)||55||Kayseri, Turkey||2016 Kayseri bombing||A suspected car bombing killed soldiers aboard a bus.||Kurdistan Freedom Falcons||Kurdish–Turkish conflict|
|Dec 18||Suicide bombing||52+ (+1)||63||Aden, Yemen||December 2016 Aden suicide bombings||Soldiers collecting their salaries at a base were killed when a suicide bomber detonated.||Islamic State – Yemen Province||Yemeni Civil War|
|Dec 18||Shooting||16 (+5)||37||Al-Karak, Jordan||2016 Al-Karak attack||Insurgents attacked police and civilians then took shelter in Kerak Castle.||Islamic State||Spillover of the Syrian Civil War in Jordan|
|Dec 19||Assassination||1 (+1)||3||Ankara, Turkey||Assassination of Andrei Karlov||A gunman killed the Russian ambassador to Turkey. Three bystanders were also injured. According to the Egyptian newspaper Al-Youm Al-Sabea, the Army of Conquest claimed responsibility for the assassination.||Army of Conquest||Spillover of the Syrian Civil War in Turkey|
|Dec 19-23||Vehicular attack, stabbing, and shooting||13 (+1)||55||Berlin, Germany||2016 Berlin truck attack||A truck ploughed into a Christmas market. The perpetrator was found by police in Milan, Italy four days later and was killed in a shootout with police. One officer was wounded.||Islamic State||Islamic terrorism in Europe|
|Dec 23||Hijacking||0||0||Luqa, Malta||Afriqiyah Airways Flight 209||A commercial jet that took off from Libya was hijacked by individuals with explosives. The plane landed in Malta. The hijackers were pro-Gaddafi militants who demanded recognition of their group.||Brigade 93||Second Libyan Civil War|
|Dec 28||Bombings||0||33||Hilongos, Philippines||2016 Hilongos bombings||Two bombs at an amateur boxing match.||Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (suspected)||Moro conflict|
|Dec 31||Suicide bombing, bombing||25 (+1)||50||Baghdad, Iraq||December 2016 Baghdad bombings||Islamic State||Iraqi Civil War|
- "Suspected terror attack: Two dead in Tel Aviv shooting". Ynet. 1 January 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Police Say Tel Aviv Shooter Likely Killed Third Victim While Fleeing". Haaretz. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Pathankot terror attack: Operation continues for second day; PM Modi chairs high-level meeting". DNA India. 3 January 2016. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- "Truck bomb kills nearly 50 at Libyan police academy". Reuters. 7 January 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Charlie Hebdo anniversary: Suspect shot by Paris police — BBC News". BBC News. 7 January 2016. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- "Philadelphia police: Man who tried to kill officer pledged allegiance to the Islamic State". The Washington Post. 8 January 2016.
- "ISIS Egypt Hotel Attack: Deadly Hurghada Resort Siege On Foreign Tourists Claimed By Islamic State Group". 8 January 2016.
- "Deadly car bomb targets Baghdad mall". Al Jazeera. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Deadly car bomb targets Baghdad mall". Yahoo. 11 January 2016. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Ten German dead in Istanbul terror attack". The local.de. 13 January 2016.
- Syed Ali Shah (13 January 2016). "Blast near Quetta polio centre kills 14; TTP claims responsibility".
- "At least 15 killed in suicide blast near polio centre in Quetta". The Express Tribune. 13 January 2016.
- "15 die as suicide bomber strikes polio security team". Dawn. 2016-01-14. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Islamic State group claims responsibility for Jakarta attack". France 24. 14 January 2016. Archived from the original on January 15, 2016.
- "Al-Shabab attacks African Union base in Somalia". Al Jazeera. Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- "At least 20 dead in Burkina Faso hotel attack: hospital chief". AFP. 16 January 2016.
- "Al Qaeda of Islamic Maghreb says it is responsible for Burkina Faso hotel attack: SITE Intelligence Group". Reuters. 16 January 2016.
- "Gunmen attack hotel, take hostages in Burkina Faso capital". 15 January 2015.
- "Islamic State kills dozens in Syria's Deir al-Zor city". Reuters. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "135 killed, including civilians, in IS Syria onslaught: monitor". Yahoo News. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "ISIS commits massacre in village in Deir Ezzor, claiming the lives of 300 civilians – Syrian Arab News Agency". Syrian Arab News Agency. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Islamist gunmen kill 17 in Somalia beach restaurant attack". Reuters. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Somalia hotel attack: Terrorists kill at least 20 people in Mogadishu". CNN. 22 January 2016. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Suicide bomb attack kills 28, wounds dozens in Cameroon". Reuters. 25 January 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "ISIL kills dozens of Iraqi soldiers near Ramadi". Al Jazeera. 27 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "At least 65 people killed in attack in Nigeria's Maiduguri". Reuters. 31 January 2016.
- "Survivor claims Boko Haram burned kids alive in attack that kills 86". USA Today. 31 January 2016.
- "At least 45 killed, 110 wounded in Damascus suburb bombings, ISIS claims responsibility". Reuters. 31 January 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Loaa Adel (8 February 2016). "ISIS executes 300 police and army personnel, civil activists in Mosul". Iraq news.
- "Turkish air strikes hit PKK camps in northern Iraq after Ankara bomb kills 28". Reuters. 18 February 2016.
- "Explosion hits military convoy in southeast Turkey killing 6 soldiers and another injured". Reuters. 18 February 2016.
- "57 people were killed after two bomb exploded in Homs". Reuters. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "ISIS Claims Two Blasts in Syria's Homs That Kill 57". Haaretz. Associated Press, Reuters. 21 February 2016.
- "IS blasts kill more than 140 as US, Russia press Syria truce". Yahoo News. Agence France-Presse. 21 February 2016.
- "Syrie: 134 morts dans un attentat au sud de Damas". L'Express. 21 February 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- "At Least 14 Dead as Shabab Gunmen Attack Hotel in Somalia". New York Times. 26 February 2016.
- "At least 70 killed, more than 100 wounded in Baghdad blasts — reports". Reuters. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "Tunisia closes border with Libya after fierce clashes". Al Jazeera. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- Yanovsky, Roi; Ben Zur, Raanan; Levy, Elior; Senyor, Eli (8 March 2016). "American tourist dead, nine wounded in Jaffa terror attack". Ynet. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Gunmen open fire in Ivory Coast tourist resort". The Guardian. 13 March 2016. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Reuters Editorial (14 March 2016). "Death toll in Ivory Coast militant attack rises to 18: government". Reuters.
|author=has generic name (help)
- "At least 34 killed, 125 wounded in Ankara blast: Ankara governor's office". Hurriyet. Retrieved March 13, 2016.
- "15 people die in Peshawar bus bombing". DAWN. 16 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Two suicide bomber killed 22 people in Nigeria". Reuters. 16 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "Istanbul, Turkey hit by suicide bomber; at least 4 dead, 36 injured". WHNT 19 News. 19 March 2016.
- "13 Egypt policemen killed in Sinai attack claimed by IS". Yahoo News by AFP. 19 March 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Bombing killed 31 people in Brussels". BBC News. 22 March 2016.
- "Suicide bomber kills 30 south of Baghdad: police". Agence France Presse, Yahoo News. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- Abdul-Zahra, Qassim (2016-03-26). "The suicide bombing, claimed by Daesh, struck Friday during a soccer match in the small stadium in the city of Iskanderiyah". The Toronto Star. ISSN 0319-0781. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Suicide bombing killed 26". Reuters. 25 March 2016. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "72 dead, 200 injured in Gulshan-e-Iqbal suicide blast in Lahore". The Express Tribune. 27 March 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- "Diyarbakir: Bomb kills police in south-eastern Turkish city". BBC News. 31 March 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Seven Police Killed By Diyarbakir Car Bomb". Sky News. 31 March 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Death toll climbs to 10 in Peru guerrilla attack". Business Standard. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 11 April 2016.
- Sherwood, Peter Beaumont Harriet (2016-04-18). "Jerusalem mayor says bus explosion caused by bomb". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Le Hamas revendique l'attentat de l'autobus de Jérusalem" (in French). i24news. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- "Afghan Taliban launch attack in central Kabul, killing at least 28 - SWI swissinfo.ch". SWI swissinfo.ch. Archived from the original on 2016-05-30. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Afghanistan attack: Kabul suicide blast deaths rise to 64 - BBC News". BBC News. 20 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- "Female suicide bomber wounds 13 in Turkey's Bursa in latest attack". The Telegraph. Agence France-Presse. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- "Turquie: la kamikaze de Bursa liée aux rebelles kurdes" (in French). i24news. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- "Bomb attack on Shi'ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19: Sources - MIDEAST". May 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-05-01). "Samawah explosion casualties jump to 38 dead and 86 wounded". Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- "Turquie : attentat meurtrier contre la police à Gaziantep". Le Monde (in French). 2016-05-01. ISSN 1950-6244. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- "Rare IS group bombings in southern Iraq kill 33". Yahoo News. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- Reuters Editorial (2016-05-10). "Bomb attack on police vehicle in Turkey's Diyarbakir kills three: sources". Reuters. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
|author=has generic name (help)
- Adel, Loaa (2016-05-11). "Rabie' street explosion kills 7 people and wounds 20 others in western Baghdad - Iraqi News". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Syrian opposition forces massacre, kidnap 120 civilians in southern Hama". Al-Masdar News. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- Stephen Jones (13 May 2016). "ISIS kill 16 Real Madrid fans in massacre at supporters club headquarters". mirror.
- Ahmed Rasheed and Kareem Raheem (15 May 2016). "Islamic State attacks gas plant north of Baghdad, killing 11". Reuters.
- Mohammed Mukhashaf (15 May 2016). "Islamic State Yemen suicide bomber kills 25 police recruits: medics". Reuters.
- "At least 47 police killed in bomb attacks on Yemen port city recaptured from al-Qaeda". The Telegraph. Agence France-Presse. 15 May 2016.
- ABC News. "Wave of Bombings in Baghdad Kill 69". ABC News.
- Kareem Raheem (17 May 2016). "After bombings in Baghdad kill 77, Sadr's forces deploy in some areas". Reuters.
- Amre Sarhan (17 May 2016). "Bomb blast kills 1 person, wounds another in al-Rashid south of Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 security members killed, wounded in battles of Rutba District". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Abdelhak Mamoun (17 May 2016). "9 people killed, wounded in bomb blast in eastern Baghdad". Iraq news, the latest Iraq news by Iraqi News.
- Mohammed Mukhashaf (23 May 2016). "Islamic State suicide bombing kills 40 army recruits in Yemen's Aden". Reuters. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- "Death toll rises to 161 in bombings of Syrian government strongholds". Fox News. 24 May 2016. Retrieved 26 May 2016.
- John Davison (23 May 2016). "Bombs kill nearly 150 in Syrian government-held cities: monitor". Reuters.
- "Taliban kills 17 after abducting about 200 at fake Afghan checkpoint".
- "16 dead, 55 injured in Somalia hotel attack". RTE. 2 June 2016.
- Williams, Alison (5 June 2016). "Three killed as militants attack Kazakh military facility". Reuters. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Kazakhstan: At Least 10 Killed in Unrest Blamed on Extremists". 5 June 2016 – via EurasiaNet.
- Peter Beaumont in Jerusalem (9 June 2016). "Four Israelis killed in Tel Aviv restaurant shooting are named". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- Ari, Judah. "4 killed, 3 badly injured, in central Tel Aviv shooting terror attack". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- Ari, Judah (2016-06-08). "The gunmen ordered dessert, then opened fire". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "Taliban kill 12 captives in front of hundreds of people, official says - Fox News". Fox News. 8 June 2016.
- "Afghan Taliban abducts 40 passengers on Kunduz highway".
- "Afghan Taliban seize dozens of hostages in Kunduz - BBC News". BBC News. 8 June 2016.
- "The FBI director painted a bizarre picture of the man behind the worst mass shooting in US history". BusinessInsider.com. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Jo Cox: Man jailed for 'terrorist' murder of MP". BBC News. 23 November 2016.
- "Trudeau condemns killing of 14 Canadian Embassy security guards in Kabul | Toronto Star". The Toronto Star. 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- lefigaro.fr (27 June 2016). "Yémen: Au moins 35 morts dans un attentat". Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- AFP/PTI (28 June 2016). "42 dead in Yemen suicide attacks claimed by ISIS". Business Standard India. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Paddock, Richard C. (4 July 2016). "Malaysia Links Nightclub Attack to Islamic State". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "IS militant in Syria denies ordering Movida attack". Free Malaysia Today. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2016-07-16.
- "Gunmen attack restaurant in Dhaka's diplomatic quarter". Reuters. 1 July 2016. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "IS bombing kills 125 in Baghdad". BBC News. July 3, 2016.
- Adel, Loaa (2016-07-03). "Bomb explosion in western Baghdad, one al-Hashd al-Shaabi member killed - Iraqi News". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Sarhan, Amre (2016-07-03). "Car bomb blast kills civilian in al-Latifiya in southern Baghdad - Iraqi News". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- "Bomber killed, two police wounded in blast outside U.S. consulate in Jeddah". Reuters. 4 July 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Saudi Arabia: Explosions near Medina and Qatif mosques". Al-Jazeera. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Suicide attackers launch wave of strikes in Saudi Arabia". CNN. 4 July 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Iraqi PM fires head of security after shrine attack". Al Arabiya. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "At least 35 killed in attack on Shi'ite mausoleum north of Baghdad". Reuters. 2016-07-08. Retrieved 15 July 2016.
- "Nice attack: Dozens killed during Bastille Day celebrations". BBC News. 14 July 2016.
- Roberts, Elizabeth. "ISIS inspired German train attacker, official says". CNN.
- "Mali: une base militaire attaquée - BBC Afrique" (in French). 19 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "[MALI] : Un groupe peul revendique une attaque contre une base de l'armée". 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Militant attack on Mali army base kills at least 12 soldiers: officials". Reuters. Reuters Africa. 2016-07-19. Archived from the original on 2016-07-20.
- Ahmad.Siyar. "Over 64 Dead, More Than 236 Wounded In Kabul Blasts". www.tolonews.com. Archived from the original on 2016-09-28. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- Steve Visser; Masoud Popalzai. "ISIS claims Afghanistan explosion that kills dozens". CNN.
- Ahmad.Siyar. "Daesh Behind Deadly Kabul Blast". www.tolonews.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-30. Retrieved 2016-07-23.
- Frederik Pleitgen, Tim Hume and Euan McKirdy. "Ansbach suicide bomber pledged allegiance to ISIS". CNN. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "Seine Maritime : Prise d'otage dans une église". 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Willsher, Kim; Borger, Julian (2016-07-26). "Men who murdered priest in Normandy church were Isis followers, says Hollande". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- Graham-Harrison, Emma (2016-07-27). "Starvation fears for Aleppo as bomb kills dozens in north Syria". The Guardian. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Alkhshali, Hamdi (27 July 2016). "Suicide bombing kills dozens in Syria". CNN. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Syria's war: Scores killed in ISIL attack in Qamishli". Al Jazeera.
- "Armenia gunmen surrender after seizing police station". BBC News. 31 July 2016.
- Prabin Kalita; Neeraj Chauhan (5 August 2016). "14 killed, 15 injured in Assam's Kokrajhar after terrorists open fire in market". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Assam attack LIVE: 12 killed in Kokrajhar shootout, police suspect NDFB(S) involvement". First Post. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Belgique : attaque à l'arme blanche, l'agresseur neutralize" (in French). 2016-08-06. Retrieved 2016-08-06.
- "Pakistan hospital bomb attack kills dozens in Quetta". BBC News. 8 August 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- Khaled Suleiman (2016-08-15). "Bus bombing kills 15 in Syria's Idlib". AA. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Bus blast kills fighters at Syrian border crossing with Turkey". Pakistantoday.com. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "ru:Пострадавший в результате нападения на пост ДПС полицейский скончался" [The policeman died as a result of the attack on the DPS post] (in Russian). 29 August 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "ISIS claims attack on traffic police officers near Moscow". The Washington Post. 2016-08-18. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Twin suicide bombs claimed by al Shabaab kill 20 people in Somalia". Reuters. 21 August 2016.
- "Yemen suicide attack claimed by IS 'kills dozens' in Aden". BBC News. 29 August 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Pregnant Davao bombing victim dies in hospital; death toll rises to 15".
- "IS Claims Mindanao, Davao Bombings in Naba 60". 22 December 2016.
- "PNP chief: IED caused Davao blast". 3 September 2016.
- "Multiple bomb blasts in Syrian cities kill at least 12". Associated Press. 5 September 2016. Archived from the original on 6 September 2016.
- "String of deadly bomb attacks target government held areas in Syria". Middle East Eye. 5 September 2016.
- "Massive human losses after suicide attacks targeted Hasakah, Homs, Damascus and Tartous this morning". SOHR. 5 September 2016.
- "Afghanistan : au moins 24 morts dans un double attentat-suicide à Kaboul". Le Monde (in French). 2016-09-05. ISSN 1950-6244. Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- "hird bomb strikes Kabul, Afghanistanl". CNN. 2016-09-05.
- "Curfew in Mohmand as suicide attack death toll rises to 30 - Pakistan". Dawn.com. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 2016-09-17.
- "Cachemire indien : 17 soldats tués dans l'attaque d'une base militaire par des hommes armés - France 24" (in French). 2016-09-18. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "Bruxelles, accoltellati due poliziotti: "E' terrorismo" - Tgcom24". Tgcom24.mediaset.it. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "10 wounded in blast near police station in Istanbul - LOCAL". Hurriyetdailynews.com. 7 October 2016. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Blast near police station in Istanbul injures 10 people". Anadolu Agency. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Palestinian shoots eight in Jerusalem drive-by". Sky News. Retrieved 2016-10-09.
- "PKK car bomb suicide attack kills 15, injures 27 in southeast border town". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Kurdistan24 English on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "Islamic State suicide bomber, gunmen attack Baghdad". Thenewdaily.com.au. 2016-10-15. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "Messerattacke auf Jugendlichen: IS reklamiert Angriff in Hamburg für sich - n-tv.de". Mobil.n-tv.de. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "Quetta attack: Death toll rises to 59 as security forces eliminate threat | Pakistan". Thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Pakistan militants attack Quetta police college". BBC News. 24 October 2016. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- Masood, Salman (24 October 2016). "At Least 59 Die as Militants Storm Police College Near Quetta, Pakistan". The New York Times. Retrieved October 24, 2016.
- "Pakistan: au moins 60 morts dans un attentat contre une école de police". i24news (in French). Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Turkey: deadly explosion rocks major Kurdish city of Diyarbakır | World news". The Guardian. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "L'attacco alla base americana di Bagram - Il Post". Il Post. 2015-10-15. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "At least 52 killed, 102 injured in blast at Khuzdar shrine - Pakistan". Dawn.com. 2016-11-07. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Daish claims responsibility bombing Shrine Sufi Saint Baba Shah Noorani". Dnd.com.pk. 12 November 2016. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- Baloch, Zafar (2016-11-09). "At least 45 dead, over 100 injured in Khuzdar's Shah Noorani shrine explosion - The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "At least 52 killed, 102 injured in blast at Khuzdar shrine - Pakistan". Dawn.com. 2016-11-07. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Indonesia police: 2-year-old girl dies in attack on church". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Blast outside Indonesian church injures 4". Aa.com.tr. Retrieved 2016-11-14.
- "Suicide truck bomb kills more than 80 in Iraq, most of them Iranian pilgrims". Reuters. 24 November 2016.
- "Somali Forces Arrest Suspect in Deadly Market Attack Website=Garoweonline.com". Retrieved 2016-11-28.
- "Somali Forces arrest suspect in deadly Market attack". Goobjoog.com. 26 November 2016. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- Blau, Max; Grinberg, Emanuella; Prokupecz, Shimon (29 November 2016). "Investigators believe Ohio State attacker was inspired by ISIS and Al-Awlaki". CNN. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Insurgents killed at least 7 soldiers in India". Reuters. 29 November 2016. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Two suicide bombing killed 56 people in Nigeria". Reuters. 9 December 2016. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Suicide bomber kills at least 50 Yemeni troops in Aden". Reuters. 10 December 2016.
- "Istanbul terror attack death toll increases to 44". The Daily Sabah. 12 December 2016.
- "Suicide bomb kills at least 29 at Somalia's main port: police". Reuters. 11 December 2016.
- http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/news-wire/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-for-egypt-church-bombing/article_c9141094-fcc1-555a-b51a-e91d17dfafc8.html[dead link]
- "Sisi says suicide bomber behind church attack in Egypt". Reuters. 12 December 2016.
- "Burkina Faso militant attack: Twelve soldiers killed". Reuters. 16 December 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Turkey's Erdogan blames Kurdish militants after bomb kills at least 13, wounds 56". Reuters. 17 December 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
- "Blast Kills at Least 52 Outside Yemen Military Camp". ABC News. 18 December 2016. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Jordan declares end of castle siege, says four gunmen killed". Reuters. 19 December 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "A gunman killed Russian ambassador in Turkey". Reuters. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2016.
- "Media: Jaish al-Fatah claims responsibility for murder of Russian ambassador". Russian News Agency TASS. 21 December 2016.
- "Michael Horowitz on Twitter". Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- Nachlese, Die Entwicklungen vom Dienstag in der (20 December 2016). "Anschlag am Breitscheidplatz: IS reklamiert Anschlag auf Weihnachtsmarkt in Berlin für sich". Retrieved 13 January 2017 – via Sueddeutsche.de.
- "Berlin attack: First aider dies 5 years after Christmas market murders". BBC. 26 October 2021. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- "Ucciso a Milano Anis Amri, l'attentatore di Berlino. Merkel: grazie all'Italia". Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Libya Malta hijack: Hijackers arrested as drama ends peacefully". BBC News. 23 December 2016. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Plusieurs explosions font une quarantaine de blessés aux Philippines". Le Monde.fr (in French). 2016-12-29. ISSN 1950-6244. Retrieved 2016-12-29.
- "Bombings left at least 25 people dead and 50 others were injured in Iraq". Reuters. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2016.