List of Catholic dioceses in Spain, Andorra, Ceuta and Gibraltar
- fourteen ecclesiastical provinces, each headed by a metropolitan archbishop (one of which, Toledo, uses the Mozarabic rite), have a total of 55 suffragan Bishops.
Exempt, i.e. directly subject to the Holy See, are :
- the (vacant) Latin Titular Patriarchate of the West Indies
- the Spanish military ordinariate, which is a Latin army bishopric (personal diocese for the military) headed by an archbishop
- the bishopric of Gibraltar, also Latin
- the joint Ordinariate for the Faithful of Eastern Rite for all Eastern Catholics in Spain]].
All except the Exempt Bishop of Gibraltar of members of the national episcopal conference of Spain.
There is also an apostolic nunciature (papal embassy) to Spain (in national capital Madrid), into which is also vested the nunciature to Andorra.
Gibraltar and Ceuta, being British viz. Spanish overseas territories without sovereignty (and disputed by Spain viz. Morocco), have no papal diplomatic representation.
- 1 Exempt current jurisdictions
- 2 Current Latin provinces
- 2.1 Ecclesiastical province of Barcelona
- 2.2 Ecclesiastical province of Burgos
- 2.3 Ecclesiastical province of Granada
- 2.4 Ecclesiastical province of Madrid
- 2.5 Ecclesiastical province of Mérida-Badajoz
- 2.6 Ecclesiastical province of Oviedo
- 2.7 Ecclesiastical province of Pamplona
- 2.8 Ecclesiastical province of Santiago de Compostela
- 2.9 Ecclesiastical province of Seville
- 2.10 Ecclesiastical province of Tarragona
- 2.11 Ecclesiastical province of Toledo
- 2.12 Ecclesiastical province of Valencia
- 2.13 Ecclesiastical province of Valladolid
- 2.14 Ecclesiastical province of Zaragoza
- 3 Defunct jurisdictions
- 4 Other
- 5 Gallery of Archdioceses
- 6 Sources and external links
Exempt current jurisdictions
- Titular Patriarchate of the West Indies (vacant for decades)
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Gibraltar (UK crown colony)
- Military Archbishopric of Spain, personal archbishopric for the Spanish armed forces
Eastern Rite Ordinariate
Current Latin provinces
Ecclesiastical province of Barcelona
Ecclesiastical province of Burgos
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Burgos
Ecclesiastical province of Granada
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Granada
Ecclesiastical province of Madrid
Ecclesiastical province of Mérida-Badajoz
Ecclesiastical province of Oviedo
Ecclesiastical province of Pamplona
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Pamplona y Tudela
Ecclesiastical province of Santiago de Compostela
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela
Ecclesiastical province of Seville
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Seville
Ecclesiastical province of Tarragona
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Tarragona
Ecclesiastical province of Toledo
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Toledo, which uses the Mozarabic Rite
Ecclesiastical province of Valencia
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Valencia
Ecclesiastical province of Valladolid
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Valladolid
Ecclesiastical province of Zaragoza
- Metropolitan Archdiocese of Zaragoza
TO BE CHECKED/ELABORATED
(Excluding the current but vacant Latin titular patriarchate, above)
- Forty-eight Titular bishoprics (all Episcopal) : Diocese of Abula, Diocese of Acci, Diocese of Álava, Diocese of Algeciras, Diocese of Amaia, Diocese of Arcavica, Diocese of Assidona ? Asidonia, Diocese of Auca, Diocese of Baeza, Diocese of Basti (Baza), Diocese of Besalú, Diocese of Bigastro, Diocese of Britonia, Diocese of Castulo, Diocese of Celene, Diocese of Denia, Diocese of Écija, Diocese of Egabro, Diocese of Egara, Diocese of Elepla, Diocese of Elicroca, Diocese of Elo, Diocese of Emerita Augusta (now Mérida(-Badajoz), again suppressed as titular see), Diocese of Fuerteventura, Diocese of Iliturgi, Illiberi (Elvira / Eliberi / Granada / Ilurir), Diocese of Illici, Diocese of Ipagro, Diocese of Iria Flavia, Diocese of Italica, Diocese of Mentesa, Diocese of Naiera (Najéra), Diocese of Oreto, Diocese of Rota, Diocese of Rotdon, Diocese of Rubicon, Diocese of Saetabis, Diocese of Sasabe, Diocese of Segia, Diocese of Segisama, Diocese of Telde, Diocese of Tucci, Diocese of Urci, Diocese of Ursona, Diocese of Valabria, Diocese of Valeria, Diocese of Valliposita, Diocese of Vergi
(Excluding mere predecessors of current sees)
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Albarracin
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Ceuta
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Tudela
Gallery of Archdioceses
The seat of the Archdiocese of Barcelona is Catedral de la Santa Cruz y Santa Eulalia.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Burgos is Catedral Metropolitana de Santa María.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Granada is Catedral de la Anunciación.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Madrid is Catedral de Santa María la Real de la Almudena.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz is Concatedral Metropolitana de San Maria la Mayor.
The co-seat of the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz is Catedral Metropolitana de San Juan Bautista(Badajoz).
The seat of the Archdiocese of Oviedo is Catedral Metropolitana Basílica de San Salvador.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Pamplona y Tudela is Santa María la Real.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Santiago de Compostela is Catedral de Santiago de Compostela.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Seville is Catedral de Santa María de la Sede.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Tarragona is Basílica Catedral Metropolitana y Primada de Santa María.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Toledo is Catedral Primada de Santa María de la Asunción.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Valencia is Catedral Basílica Metropolitana de Santa Maria.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Valladolid is Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción.
The seat of the Archdiocese of Zaragoza is Catedral de El Salvador de la Seo.
The co-seat of the Archdiocese of Zaragoza is Catedral-Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar.