List of shopping centres in the United Kingdom by size
This is a list of the largest shopping centres in the United Kingdom, listed by retail size in square metres (m2). Only centres with space of 70,000 m2 or more are listed. Some of these are out-of-town centres, while others are part of a city or town centre shopping district, which in almost all cases also includes many stores not part of the shopping centre. Many city and town centre shopping districts not represented in this list are larger than some of the centres listed.
|Shopping Centre||City/Town||Region||Area (m2)||Annual visitors
|1st||Westfield London||Shepherd's Bush, London||Greater London||241,547||27.3 million (2016)|
|2nd||intu Metrocentre||Gateshead, Tyne and Wear||North East England||190,000||21 million|
|3rd||intu Trafford Centre||Trafford, Greater Manchester||North West England||180,900||32 million|
|4th||Westfield Stratford City||Stratford, London||Greater London||175,000||42 million |
|5th||Bluewater||Greenhithe, Kent||South East England||155,700||27 million (2010)|
|6th||Liverpool One||Liverpool||North West England||154,000||26 million (2013)|
|7th||Intu Merry Hill||Dudley, West Midlands||West Midlands||148,645||22 million (2016)|
|8th||Meadowhall Shopping Centre*||Sheffield||Yorkshire and the Humber||139,355*||25 million|
|9th||Manchester Arndale||Manchester||North West England||139,354||42 million|
|10th||Lakeside||Thurrock, Essex||South East England||133,780||25 million|
|11th||St. David's||Cardiff||Wales||130,100||38.5 million |
|12th||Bullring||Birmingham||West Midlands||127,100,||40 million (2012)|
|13th||Eldon Square||Newcastle||North East England||125,419||34 - 36 million (2012)|
|14th||thecentre:mk||Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire||South East||120,773||27 million (2010)|
|15th||Whitgift||Croydon, London||Greater London||111,000|
|16th||Highcross||Leicester||East Midlands||110,000||18.5 million (2009–10)|
|17th||Intu Derby||Derby, Derbyshire||East Midlands||106,130||25 million (2010)|
|18th||East Kilbride Shopping Centre||East Kilbride, Lanarkshire||Scotland||106,030|
|19th||Kingfisher||Redditch, Worcestershire||West Midlands||102,000|
|20th||Festival Place||Basingstoke, Hampshire||South East||102,000|
|21st||Telford Shopping Centre||Telford, Shropshire||West Midlands||100,000|
|23rd||Cabot Circus||Bristol||South West||96,200|
|24th||The Mall at Cribbs Causeway||Patchway, South Gloucestershire||South West||95,225|
|25th||Trinity Leeds||Leeds||Yorkshire & The Humber||93,000|
|26th||The Centre||Livingston, West Lothian||Scotland||92,900|
|27th||Victoria Centre||Nottingham||East Midlands||91,140|
|28th||Silverburn Centre||Pollok, Glasgow||Scotland||91,100|
|29th||Brent Cross||Hendon, London||Greater London||82,800|
|30th||Frenchgate Centre||Doncaster, South Yorkshire||Yorkshire and the Humber||82,000|
|32nd||Cwmbran Shopping Centre||Cwmbran, Torfaen||Wales||79,000|
|33rd||Eden||High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire||South East||79,000|
|34th||Centrale||Croydon, London||Greater London||76,180|
|35th||WestQuay Shopping Centre||Southampton||South East||75,600|
|36th||Victoria Square||Belfast||Northern Ireland||75,000|
|37th||Westgate Oxford||Oxford, Oxfordshire||South East||74,322|
|38th||The Merrion Centre||Leeds||Yorkshire & The Humber||74,300|
|39th||White Rose Centre||Leeds||Yorkshire & The Humber||71,100|
|40th||The Oracle||Reading, Berkshire||South East||70,700|
|41st||The Mall Luton||Luton, Bedfordshire||East||70,100|
|42nd||St. Enoch Shopping Centre||Glasgow||Scotland||70,000|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shopping centres in the United Kingdom.|
- List of shopping centres in the United Kingdom
- List of the world's largest shopping malls
- List of largest shopping malls in Canada
- List of largest shopping malls in the United States
- "Westfield Property Portfolio – Westfield London". Westfield Group. Archived from the original on 26 May 2008. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Westfield has 23m visitors in first year".
- "intu Metrocentre, Gateshead | intu". intu Group. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Intu - Trafford Centre - Key Facts". Intu Properties. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- "http://www.peel.co.uk/activities/shoppingcentres/traffordcentre". External link in
- "Westfield Group Property Portfolio: Stratford City Overview". Westfield UK. Archived from the original on 19 October 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- http://westfield.completelyretail.co.uk/shopping-centres/scheme/Westfield-Stratford-City-London.html. Missing or empty
- "Briefing Note PDF" (PDF). Land Securities. Retrieved 20 June 2010.
- "Bluewater Shopping Mall Says Annual Visitors Reach 28.1 Million".
- Liverpool ONE Education Fact Sheet
- Liverpool City Centre Main Retail Area Review
- "Intu Property Portfolio – Merry Hill". Intu Group. Retrieved 25 Oct 2016.
1.6m sq ft of retail, catering and leisure space
- "Intu Property Portfolio". Retrieved 25 Oct 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-14. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Ruddick, Graham (4 January 2011). "British Land, London & Stamford consider Meadowhall expansion". Daily Telegraph.
Meadowhall in Sheffield boasts 1.4m sq ft of retail space and 250 stores, attracting more than 25m visitors every year
- Brown, Jonathan (3 May 2012). "Manchester Arndale - Key Facts". The Independent. London.
- "Manchester Arndale - Key Facts".
- "Portfolio – Our Centres". Capital Shopping Centres. Retrieved 17 June 2011.
- "Lakeside Shopping Centre development could create jobs". BBC. 1 March 2011.
The centre attracts 25 million visitors a year
- Hammerson, 2009, p. 114.
- "BullRing Birmingham". Hammerson. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- . Intu Group http://www.intugroup.co.uk/where-we-do-it/our-centres/intu-eldon-square/key-facts/. Retrieved 18 October 2013. Missing or empty
- Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,300,000 sq ft". If the figure for Midsummer Place, a separate centre adjoining thecentre:mk, is included, the floor area would be 166,000 m² (thecentre:mk, Facts and Figures (archived 1 Feb 2008), "1.79m sq ft (GLA)").
- "Facts and Figures – thecentre:mk".
With thecentre:mk boasting around 27 million visits per annum and a number new lettings over last year – shopping just gets better
- "Westfield mulls Croydon Whitgift shopping centre move". BBC News. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
Plans have also been drawn up to revamp the centre of Croydon over the next few years, including the area around the Whitgift, which is 1.2m sq ft (111,484 sq m) in size.
- "Highcross Leicester celebrates first birthday". thisisleicestershire.co.uk. 4 September 2009.
- "Westfield Property Portfolio". Westfield.
- "City reclaims highest ranking in league table of top UK shopping destinations". thisisbusiness-eastmidlands.co.uk. 22 June 2011.
- Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,190,000 sq ft".
- Trevor Wood, 2008. "1,000,000 sq ft".
- "Telford – A Unique New Town" (PDF). Transforming Telford. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2008. Retrieved 22 March 2008.
- Hammerson, 2009, p. 115 and 116. The owners also own nearby shops with an area of 33,800 sq m.
- CSC, The Mall at Cribbs Causeway Archived 2010-05-22 at the Wayback Machine.. The company also owns a nearby retail park with an area of 22,761 sq m.
- "Trinity Leeds". Trinity Leeds. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- Livingston shopping centre to reveal Elements Square extension, Retail Week, 14 October 2008. "just under 1 million sq ft".
- Liberty International, 2008, and CSC, Victoria Centre Archived 2009-12-28 at the Wayback Machine..
- Hammerson, 2009, p. 115.
- Hammerson, 2009, p. 116.
- Key Note, 2008, p. 15.
- Mall Corporation, The Mall Arndale – Luton. "755,000 sq ft".
- Hammerson plc, Annual Report 2013. This report records the net internal area of each of their main properties. Information is also shown in the All Properties section of their website, but that may not be as up-to-date.
- Key Note, Market Assessment 2008: Shopping Centres, ISBN 978-1-84729-231-5.
- Liberty International PLC, Annual report 2008[permanent dead link]. Page 4 records the size of each centre. This information is also shown in the CSC (Capital Shopping Centres PLC) website.
- The Mall Corporation Ltd, Our Malls. This section of their business website shows the size of each centre.
- Trevor Wood, Going Shopping 2008: The Definitive Guide to Shopping Centres, Trevor Wood Associates. The top 20 UK shopping centres for overall attractiveness to shoppers, retailers and investors are listed in the executive summary.
- Westfield Group, Annual Report 2009. Page 21 records the lettable area of each centre. Information is also shown in the United Kingdom Property Portfolio section of their website, but that may not be as up-to-date.
- Value Retail PLC performance .