List of things named after James Clerk Maxwell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of things named for James Clerk Maxwell.
- Maxwell–Wien bridge, see Maxwell bridge
- Maxwell bridge
- Maxwell coil
- Maxwell displacement current
- Maxwell's equations (electromagnetism)
- The maxwell (Mx), a compound derived CGS unit measuring magnetic flux
- Maxwell tensor, also Maxwell stress tensor
Thermodynamics and kinetic theory
- Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution (statistical thermodynamics), also known as Maxwellian curve, or Maxwellian for short.
- Maxwell–Stefan diffusion
- Maxwell's relations (thermodynamics)
- Maxwell's thermodynamic surface
- Maxwell's demon, a thought experiment in statistical physics
- Maxwell equal area rule
- Maxwell speed distribution
- Maxwell distribution, see Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution
- Maxwell material
- Maxwell model of elasticity, see Maxwell material
- 12760 Maxwell, an asteroid
- Maxwell Montes, a mountain range on Venus
- The Maxwell Gap in the Rings of Saturn
- Maxwell (crater)
- The James Clerk Maxwell Telescope, the largest submillimetre-wavelength astronomical telescope in the world, with a diameter of 15 metres (49 ft)
- The James Clerk Maxwell Building of the University of Edinburgh, housing the schools of mathematics, physics and meteorology
- The James Clerk Maxwell building at the Waterloo campus of King's College London, in commemoration of his time as Professor of Natural Philosophy at King's from 1860 to 1865. The university also has a chair in Physics named after him, and a society for undergraduate physicists.
- The James Clerk Maxwell Centre of the Edinburgh Academy
- James Clerk Maxwell Prize in Plasma Physics of the American Physical Society
- IEEE/RSE Wolfson James Clerk Maxwell Award
- Maxwell Institute for Mathematical Sciences at the Universities of Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt
- James Clerk Maxwell Foundation
- Maxwell Year 2006, website celebrating the 175th anniversary of his birth
- Nvidia Maxwell, a GPU architecture released in 2014.
- "James Clerk Maxwell". martinfrost.ws. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "PIA09857: Maxwell's Namesake". JPL/NASA. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- cite web http://www.jstor.org/stable/1417947?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- "James Clerk Maxwell Building (JCMB)". University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "James Clerk Maxwell". King's College London. Retrieved 1 July 2013.
- "James Clerk Maxwell Science Centre". Edinburgh Academy. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- James Clerk Maxwell Prize for Plasma Physics, accessed 15 Nov 2013.
- IEEE/RSE Wolfson James Clerk Maxwell Award, accessed 26 Nov 2013.