List of things named after Pierre-Simon Laplace
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of things named after Pierre-Simon Laplace
- de Moivre-Laplace theorem that approximates binomial distribution with a normal distribution
- Laplace–Bayes estimator
- Laplace distribution
- Laplace principle (large deviations theory)
- Laplace series
- Laplace transform
- Laplace's method for approximating integrals
- Laplace limit, concerning series solutions to Kepler's equation
- Laplace's equation
- Laplacian, see Laplace operator
- Young–Laplace equation
- Laplace invariant
- Laplace series (Fourier–Laplace series)
- Laplace expansion (potential)
- Laplace coefficient: see Laplace expansion (potential)
- Laplace expansion of determinants of matrices
- Laplace matrices in graph theory
- The asteroid 4628 Laplace is named for Laplace.
- A spur of the Montes Jura on the moon is known as Promontorium Laplace.
- The tentative working name of the European Space Agency Europa Jupiter System Mission is the "Laplace" space probe.
- LaplacesDemon is Bayesian software
In popular culture
- Laplace no Ma, a video game about Laplace's demon
- In Kamen Rider Fourze the Libra Horoscopes develops an ability called "The eye of Laplace"
- In Mega Man Star Force 3 Solo gains a wizard named Laplace.
- The idea of the Laplace Demon has been cited several times in Japanese pop culture:
- In the Super Robot Wars serial, Elemental Lord of the Wind Cybuster is said to be equipped with the Laplace Demon which can alter the Laws of Probabilities.
- In Gundam UC, the titular machine, the Gundam Unicorn, has the La+ (Laplus; Laplace) operative system, which is the key to obtain the Box of Laplace—a repository of secret information whose possession could change the course of the world.