List of time capsules
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: The tables need better formatting and should be merged/combined with Timeline of time capsules. Also, many of the time capsules need sources. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
On 29 September 1896, when the Perth Observatory foundation was laid, the occasion was attended by Sir John Forrest and other notable dignitaries. Several items of importance were placed in a 'leaden box', sealed and deposited in a cavity beneath the foundation stone. The local press reported the event and mentioned here since "Röntgen rays tubes, and a description of the process, together with specimen photographs", donated by X-ray pioneer William John Hancock were included in the cache. This is the first known instance of a time capsule in Western Australia, and in Australia.
Also in Western Australia, in celebration of the laying of the foundation stone of the Northam Railway Institute on 28 July 1897, laid by Mrs. Ann Throssell, the wife of the Commissioner of Crown Lands and local MP George Throssell, a bottle containing two copies of the Northam Advertiser newspaper and several coins was laid in a cavity beneath the foundation stone.
In celebration of its golden jubilee, Epping Boys High School of Sydney buried a time capsule in the foyer of its library, in 2007, to be unearthed in the centenary year. A previous time capsule was buried in 1982 to celebrate the silver jubilee. The town of Cowra in central Western New South Wales contained a time capsule which was buried near a sculpture of an eagle in the park not far from the town's information center. The capsule was opened in the year 2000 on an unspecified date, although the sculpture remains, there is no mention of the time capsule once buried there. [Source unavailable]. A time capsule is also located at Nailsworth Primary School in South Australia, being planted in 2001 to be opened in 2025, this capsule was planted to replace the 1977 capsule opened the same year. A time capsule is also present on the grounds of Melbourne High school in Victoria.
In celebration of its 150th corporate anniversary, Bacardi Limited installed a 1.82m x 0.30m stainless steel time capsule, encased in a granite cap and cement pedestal, in front of the Bacardi worldwide headquarters in Bermuda. The capsule was placed in December 2012 and is intended to be opened in 2062, at the company's 200th anniversary.
- A geologist left a bottled message in 1959 in a cairn on Ward Hunt Island (83°N latitude), allowing its finders in 2013 to determine that a nearby glacier had retreated over 200 feet in 54 years.
- Inside The World's Largest Axe in Nackawic, New Brunswick
- 6 Feet Underground Chinook Centre in Calgary, Alberta
- 1234 Main Street, Moncton, New Brunswick
- Inside Joseph Salter memorial, Main Street, Moncton, New Brunswick
- Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi had buried a time capsule outside one of the gate of Red Fort complex, Delhi containing post-independence history of India on 15 August 1972 amid political opposition. It was scheduled to be opened after 1000 years. The next Janata government unearthed it in 1977 but its contents were never made public and were lost.
- A time capsule was buried in the presence of the President of India near the auditorium of IIT Kanpur on 6 March 2010.
- Mahatma Mandir, Gandhinagar containing the history of Indian state of Gujarat marking the golden jubilee of its foundation. Installed in 2010.
- Alexandra Girls' English Institution, a school in Fort, South Mumbai buried a time capsule in 2014, scheduling it to be opened on 1 September 2062, on the bi-centennial anniversary of the school.
- A time capsule was installed under Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv at 30 December 1999. It is scheduled to be opened 100 years later.
- In Aktau, people of 1967 sent a message showing the chronology of the development of Mangyshlak Peninsula with the names of the people who helped to build the town in the desert. The letter was put in a metallic cylinder in a triangular marble urn. It is scheduled to be opened in November 2017.
- Prisoners from the Auschwitz concentration camp concealed bottles containing sketches and writings that were found after World War II.
- In 2016, a copper-cylinder time capsule dating to 1934 was found beneath the former Nazi training facility in the Ordensburg Krössinsee building in Złocieniec, Poland. The time capsule, which contained photographs, newspapers, coins, and two copies of Hitler's Mein Kampf, was retrieved by researchers who navigated through thick concrete, German mines, and groundwater.
- In 2012 a time capsule dating from July 15, 1979 was found in Vulkanny (Yelizovsky District, Kamchatka peninsula) under a statue of Lenin. It contained messages to the "socialist society in 2024."
- In early 2016, beneath the foundation stone of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd, a shoebox-sized time capsule from June 18, 1843 was discovered and was found to include a prayer booklet and newspapers, and international coins. The capsule is thought to have been buried by French Catholic missionary priests and other founding communities of Singapore.
- An 1834 time capsule was discovered in 2009 under a statue of Miguel de Cervantes in Madrid. It contains a guide and four volumes of the 1819 edition of Don Quixote.
- A time capsule was buried in Motril, Granada. It will be opened on July 22, 2023 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the cantonal movement.
- Kingussie, Scotland: in August 2015 workers discovered a metal box containing a newspaper from 29 September 1894, a paper scroll and a bottle believed to contain whisky.|
- Macclesfield, Cheshire: in April 2010 an urn container from 1876 was found under a granite slab in the United Reformed Church. The content (newspapers and photographs) was perfectly preserved.
- The children's television show Blue Peter have buried several time capsules during the programme's run. Ones buried in London in 1971 and 1984 were opened in January 2000. A third was then buried to be opened in 2029, which has since been relocated to Salford, Greater Manchester. One was also placed under the Millennium Dome in London in 1998, to be opened in 2050, but was accidentally unearthed and damaged during construction work in 2017. It will be reburied once it has been repaired. 
- Southampton, Hampshire: a 1935 message in a lemonade bottle, correctly portending difficult times lying ahead, was found in 2016 by masons restoring damaged Portland stone at Southampton Guildhall.
- Richmond, Indiana. Time capsule placed in cornerstone of YMCA in 1955.
- Time Capsule in ghost town, Centralia, Pennsylvania was to be opened in 2016 but was opened in 2014 instead. Within the time capsule was about two feet of water destroying most paper artifacts in the capsule. A miner's helmet and a pair of bloomers signed by the men living in the city at the time are among artifacts that remained.
- Crypt of Civilization in Atlanta, Georgia
- Westinghouse Time Capsules in New York City
- Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument in Amarillo, Texas
- Disneyland 40th Anniversary Time Capsule in Anaheim, California; to open in July 2035
- Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY: a time capsule placed in a cornerstone in 1954 was found in January 2013
- Salt Lake City, 78 S. Main & 100 South: In 2012, a time capsule from Nov. 25, 1959 containing predictions for the year 2000 was found in the outside wall of the former First Federal Savings Bank
- Fort Collins, Colorado: In January 2013, a time capsule dated June 6, 1907 was found in a cornerstone of the building at 140 Oak Street
- Merrick Park Time Capsule in Coral Gables, Florida
- A 100-year-old time capsule in the First Lutheran Church of Oklahoma City opened on April 23, 2013, http://www.okhistory.org/centurychest/ and, http://newsok.com/a/q/3791091 .
- Detroit Century Box in Detroit, Michigan, containing 56 letters from prominent citizens, sealed at midnight on December 31, 1900 and opened on December 31, 2000
- In 1992, a time capsule was buried at Nickelodeon Studios containing items that kids considered important at that time. It was moved to the Nickelodeon Suites Resort Orlando in 2005 and later to the Nickelodeon Animation Studio in 2016, and will be opened in 2042.
- Time capsule in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
- Time capsule encased in cement at the entrance of the Miami Dade County Courthouse, 73 W. Flagler, St., Miami, Florida. To be opened on Sept. 17, 2087.
- The Samuel Adams and Paul Revere Time Capsule was found under the Golden Dome of the Massachusetts State House in December 2014. It is believed to have been buried in 1795 by then-Governor Samuel Adams and Paul Revere, and contained newspapers, a commonwealth seal, colony records, coins, a silver plate, and copper medal. It was uncovered, then added to and replaced, in 1855. Being 219 years old, it is the oldest time capsule to be discovered in the United States.
- On January 14, 2000, Livermore California buried two time capsules. Information at http://www.lhg.org/time. One capsule may have been reburied from a previous burial.
- Time capsule at St. Joseph School in Mendham, NJ.
- The largest time capsule in the world is located in Seward, Nebraska. Over 5000 items a bomb and car. The capsule is 45 tons.
- On September 1, 1975, a time capsule was buried at the intersection of 7th and Main in Louisville, Kentucky to be opened in 100 years.
- Apollo 11 goodwill messages, on the Moon
- Immortality Drive, in the International Space Station
- Rosetta disk prototype, on the Rosetta space probe
- Plaque on LAGEOS-1
Dates of opening of already opened capsules.
|1957||Wall Street, New York City||1888|
|1966||Palatka, Florida||26 June 1905|
|1996||Perth Observatory, Perth, Australia||30 September 1896|||
|February 2012||Salt Lake City, Utah||1959|||
|July 2012||Vulkanny in the Yelizovsky district of Kamchatka||1979|||
|January 2013||Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, NY||1954|||
|11 January 2013||Fort Collins, Colorado YMCA||6 June 1907|||
|22 April 2013||First Lutheran Church, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma||22 April 1913|||
|February, 2015||Cocoa Beach, Florida, Doubletree Hotel||2001|
Scheduled opening dates for already installed capsules.
|Opening date||Location||Installation date||Cite|
|July 2018||Santa Clara, California||2003|
|22 March 2022||Tequesta, Florida||2012|
|2026||Hubbard, Ohio, Public Library Building||1976|
|13 July 2037||Goodhue County, Minnesota||2012|
|13 July 2037||Alcatraz, California||1973|
|July 2037||Life Center, Tampa, Florida||2012|
|2041||Santa Fe College, Gainesville, Florida||January 17, 2017|
|August, 2045||Cocoa Beach, Florida||2009|
|27 September 2048||Cocoa Beach, Florida Public Library||1998|
|January 2055||Merrick Park, Coral Gables, Florida||2005|
|December 2062||Bacardi corporate headquarters, Hamilton, Bermuda||2012|||
|16 May 2063||City Hall, Cape Canaveral, Florida||2013|||
|May 3–9, 2070||In front of Douglas County Court House, Eastman, Georgia||1970|||
|3 March 2073||Goodhue County, Minnesota||2012|
|July 2075||Cocoa Beach, Florida||?|
|March 2077||Cape Canaveral, Florida||?|
|2092||Liberty Bell Museum, Melbourne, Florida||?|
|2094||Denver, Colorado, Denver International Airport||March 19, 1994|
|2 February 2101||Fort Pierce, Florida public library||2001|
|September 2110||Santiago, Chile||29 September 2010|||
|November 27, 2112||American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) Headquarters, Bethesda, Maryland||November 27, 2012|||
|13 December 2112||Bacardi corporate headquarters, Hamilton, Bermuda||13 December 2012|||
|2018, 2068 2968||Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument Amarillo, Texas||Built in 1968|||
|31 December 2999||Chinook Centre Calgary, Alberta, Canada||Sealed in 2000|
|6939||Flushing Meadow Park||1939 (Westinghouse Time Capsules)|
|8113||Oglethorpe University, Brookhaven, Georgia||1940 (Crypt of Civilization)|||
|Oct 12th, 2022||Natick Mall, Natick, MA, USA||Apr 26th, 1994|
- "Oglethorpe University - International Time Capsule Society". Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- Editor. (30 September 1896). The Perth Observatory. Laying the Foundation Stone. The West Australian. Perth. Western Australia. Page 2.
- The Northam Advertiser Saturday 31 July 1897 p 3
- "Bacardi Celebrates Culmination Of Its Milestone 150th Anniversary With Time Capsule To Be Opened In 50 Years". 2012-12-13. Archived from the original on 2013-03-29. Retrieved 2013-03-29.
- Mohan, Geoffrey (December 20, 2013). "Message in a bottle found 54 years later in Arctic". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on July 6, 2014.
- William E. Jarvis (11 November 2002). Time Capsules: A Cultural History. McFarland. p. 170. ISBN 978-0-7864-1261-7.
- "India's Fleeting Time Capsule". Washington Post. 1977-12-02. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "Images India". India Today 31121977. 2014-05-16. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "A Fort, a Time Capsule, a Secret: The Many Mysteries of Indira Gandhi". News18. 2016-08-11. Retrieved 2016-11-19.
- "President of India buries the Time Capsule" (PDF). IIT Kanpur. 6 March 2010. Archived from the original on 19 November 2016.
- "Tech school buries history for posterity". Nature India. Springer Nature. 2010. doi:10.1038/nindia.2010.84. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "State’s time capsule to be installed at Mahatma Mandir today". The Indian Express. Press Trust of India. June 7, 2010. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Blemish buried in buried history". The Telegraph. 15 August 1973. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Borwankar, Vinamrata (25 March 2014). "Back to the past: South Mumbai school to bury a time capsule". dna. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Aktau: Years, people, memories... Ogni.kz on 13 October 2011
- Macbeth, Alex (January 17, 2012). "'Witness to Extermination': Auschwitz Museum Publishes Prisoner Sketchbook". Der Spiegel. Archived from the original on April 18, 2016. Detailed sketches were found in a camp barracks in 1947.
- • "Message in a bottle from Auschwitz prisoners found hidden in concrete wall". Daily Mail. April 29, 2009. Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Short prisoner list was found in 2009 in a wall of a bomb shelter that prisoners were forced to build. • "Záhadný odkaz väzňov v Osvienčime: Autor je už známy! (Mysterious link from prisoners in Auschwitz: The author is already known!)" (in Slovak). Nový čas. April 30, 2009. Archived from the original on July 29, 2016.
- Eleftheriou-Smith, Loulla-Mae (September 16, 2016). "Nazi time capsule: Newspapers, photographs and copies of Mein Kampf found ‘perfectly preserved’ in Poland". The Independent. Archived from the original on October 11, 2016.
- "Time capsule found under the statue of Lenin in Moscow". 2012-07-25. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Zaccheus, Melody (July 3, 2016). "Message in a bottle". The Statesman (India). Archived from the original on July 20, 2016.
- "Abierta la cápsula del tiempo en MSN Vídeo". Video.es.msn.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Publicado por MD. "motril digital: Motril albergará la segunda cápsula del tiempo existente en España". Motrildigital.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- "121-year-old time capsule found at bridge near Kingussie". BBC. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Time capsule dating back to 1876 discovered buried underneath church memorial". 2010-04-29. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Rennison, Nick (2006). The Book Of Lists, London. Canongate. p. 277.
- "Blue Peter time capsule dug up 33 years early". 2017-02-02. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "'Message in a bottle' discovered in Southampton". ITV. February 9, 2016. Archived from the original on February 10, 2016.
- "Centralia PA Time Capsule opened early". www.centraliapa.org. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Krajick, Krajick. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/fire-in-the-hole-77895126/?no-ist=. Missing or empty
- http://www.oglethorpe.edu/about_us/crypt_of_civilization/%7COglethorpe University official web site, retrieved 5 May 2013
- Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company, The Story of Westinghouse Time Capsule of cupaloy (1939)
- "Amarillo, Texas: Helium Time Columns Monument". Roadside America. Archived from the original on August 13, 2016.
- "Time Capsule Discovered". 2013-01-22. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "Forgotten time capsule discovered". 2012-03-05. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-03-26.
- "Time capsule provides glimpse into Fort Collins' past". 2010-04-29. Archived from the original on 2013-03-26. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Andrea Cecil, "100-year-old time capsule opened in Detroit" Republished from the Kalamazoo Gazette (January 2, 2001). Retrieved August 13, 2013
- "Future Friday: Century Box Prophecies" Detroit Historical Society. Retrieved August 13, 2013
- Shoichet, Catherine E. (January 7, 2015). "1795 time capsule opened, centuries after Revere and Adams buried it". CNN. Archived from the original on March 10, 2016.
- Louisville Bicentennial Time Capsule
- Forgotten time capsule discovered, by Hunter Schwartz, Deseret News, 5 March 2012
- Time Capsule Found Under Lenin Statue, Moscow TImes, 20 July 2012
- Time Capsule Provides Glimpse into Fort Collins' Past, by Pat Ferrier, Coloradan.com,11 January 2013
- A century-old time capsule is opened in an OKC church; by Rachael Cervenka, Oklahoma Gazette News, 22 April 2013
- "Santa Fe Clock Tower Dedication and Time Capsule Ceremony Tuesday, January 17, 2017".
- https://archive.is/20130329174256/http://www.multivu.com/mnr/53414-bacardi-rum-150-anniversary-time-capsule-artifacts-birthday-celebration%7CPress Releas Bacardi celebrates culmination of its milestone 150th anniversary with time capsule to be opened in 50 years 13 December 2012
- Cape Canaveral time capsule filling up fast, by Rick Neale, FLorida Today, 3 May 2013
- "Cápsula Bicentenario quedó enterrada por un siglo en Plaza de Armas" [Bicentennial Capsule was buried for one century in Plaza de Armas]. Dirección de Bibliotecas, Archivos y Museos (in Spanish). Santiago. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Time capsules.|
|Look up time capsule in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Ten most-wanted time capsules, Ogelthorpe University