List of traffic collisions
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This list of traffic collisions records serious road crashes: those that have a large death toll, occurred in unusual circumstances, or have some other historical significance. For crashes that killed famous people, refer to List of people who died in road accidents. The prevalence of bus crashes in this list is a function of severity rather than of frequency.
|Notable historic road crashes|
|See also — References — External links|
- 1771 France – Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot's second steam-powered vehicle is said to have crashed into a wall during a test run, in what would have been the first automobile accident. However, it is disputed that this ever happened. According to Georges Ageon the earliest mention of this occurrence dates from 1801 and it does not feature in contemporary accounts.
- August 31, 1869 Ireland– While riding as a passenger with relatives in an experimental steam car, Mary Ward was thrown from the car and fell under the wheels as it rounded a bend. This is believed to be the first recorded automobile death. It took place in the town of Birr, which was known at that time as Parsonstown. The car was built by her cousins, the sons of William Parsons, 3rd Earl of Rosse.
- 1890 London had 5,728 street accidents, resulting in 144 deaths. It may be that not all of these involved motorized carriages.
- 1891 US. John William Lambert, was involved in the first automobile accident in American history. The accident occurred in Ohio City, Ohio. Lambert's vehicle—the first single-cylinder gasoline automobile, which was carrying Lambert and James Swoveland, hit a tree root, causing the car to careen out of control and smash into a hitching post. Injuries from this accident were minor.
- 17 August 1896 UK – Bridget Driscoll is the first person to die in a petrol-engined car accident, and the first pedestrian victim of an automobile accident in the United Kingdom. As she crossed the grounds of the Crystal Palace in London, she was struck by an automobile belonging to the Anglo-French Motor Carriage Company that was being used to give demonstration rides.
- 25 February 1899 UK – Edwin Sewell and Major Richer are thrown from their vehicle on Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex, London, and killed. Sewell's death is the first fatality of a driver recorded.
- 13 September 1899 – Henry H. Bliss is the first person killed by a car in the United States.
- 12 October 1904; First automobile crash (non-fatal) in New Zealand. Auckland, North Island. Capt Subritzky's car collides with a Tramcar in Hobson Street.
- 12 September 1906; First automobile fatality in New Zealand – Washdyke, Timaru, South Island. Janet Meikle (Mrs John Meikle) aged 36, died after a crash in a car she was driving.
- 6 August 1915; Nine year old Titanic survivor Douglas Spedden is fatally struck by an automobile at his family's winter home in Maine, one of the first car crashes to occur in the state of Maine.
- 10 June 1925 UK; Dibbles Bridge coach crash: a tour coach ran away following brake failure and fell off a bridge near Hebden, North Yorkshire, en route to Bolton Abbey, killing seven passengers.
- July – A bus crash in Ossining, New York, claimed 20 lives.
- August 29 Belgium – Queen Astrid of Belgium is killed in a car crash in Küssnacht am Rigi, near Lake Lucerne, Schwyz, Switzerland.
- March 25 - A bus carrying a roller derby team crashed just west of Salem, Illinois, killing 21 of the 23 people on the bus.
- October UK – A Royal Air Force bus crashes into a lorry and catches fire near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, killing 9 airmen and injuring 13.
- June UK – A British Army lorry crashes into a house at Burley in Wharfedale, Yorkshire, killing 19 soldiers.
- October UK – A United States Army bus collides with a lorry near Marlborough, Wiltshire, killing 10 soldiers and injuring 21.
- January UK – A bus skids into a bus queue at Bargeddie, near Glasgow, Scotland, killing 8 people and injuring 12.
- November 24 Sweden – A trolleybus on line 96 collided with a truck loaded with concrete slabs that were heading in the opposite direction. The bus drove off Essingebron in Stockholm and 11 people died.
- December 19 Argentina – A commuter train hits a truck carrying hikers in the Greater Buenos Aires, killing 44 and injuring 25 others.
- February 11 Japan – A Takase-Kumamoto Kyūshū Sanko regular route bus plunges into a pond 40 feet below at Matsuo, Kumamoto, Kyūshū, Japan, killing 22 people and injuring 18.
- UK (Scotland) May – A bus and a tram collide in Glasgow, killing 7 people and injuring 43.
- November 7 Japan – A regular route bus plunges 240 feet into the Mononobe river, Mirabu, eastern Kōchi Prefecture, Shikoku, Japan, killing 33 people; another 24 are injured.
- July 15 Japan – A Shimokawai-Chubutenryu regular route bus plunges off the Harada bridge, Tenryū River, Urakawa, Hokkaidō, northwestern Shizuoka Prefecture, killing 24.
- December 4 UK – Gillingham bus disaster, Gillingham, Kent, England.
During an evening march in a badly-lit area, a bus struck a company of fifty-two young members of the Royal Marines Volunteer Cadet Corps, aged between ten and thirteen years. 24 cadets were killed and 18 injured; at the time it was the greatest loss of life of any road crash in British history. The crash was later ruled accidental.
- June 1 France – A bus carrying Belgian tourists crashed through a guard rail of bridge, and plunged into the Aa River, Gravelines, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France. 33 people fatalities.
- August 4 United States – Two Greyhound Lines buses traveling opposite directions on US 81 crash head-on 7 miles south of Waco, Texas, killing 28, including both drivers in the worst commercial bus disaster in American history.
- 29 March. Argentina – The collision between a train and a bus in the city of Coronel Suarez, Buenos Aires Province causes 22 dead and 4 injured.
- 29 September Netherlands – The brakes and gear box of a Belgian tourist bus fail on the downhill slope of the Cauberg, near Valkenburg aan de Geul. The uncontrollable vehicle hits a pedestrian, then a monument and a building. 12 people are killed instantly, 7 (including the pedestrian) die in hospital.
- 12 November, island of Reunion – The brakes of a bus fail on the downhill slope of Plateau-Caillou, in Saint-Paul. 54 people are killed, 23 instantly.
- March 8 South Korea – An overcrowded regular route bus plunged into a bridge and killed at least 38 and injured 17 in Osan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
- July 28 Finland – A passenger bus plunges into Lake Kallavesi in Kuopio, Northern Savonia, Finland, killing 30 people. It is the worst road crash in Finnish history.
- June 6 United States - An early morning collision 7 miles north of Fayetteville, North Carolina when a flat bed truck packed with migrant workers pulls in front of a tractor-trailer hauling potatoes, killing 21 people. At the time, it is the worst traffic fatality accident in U.S. history.
- August 11 South Korea – A bus plunges off a 200-foot cliff in Samcheok, Gangwon-do, South Korea. The incident is caused by bus brake failure, killing at least 28 people.
- November 10 – 1957 Saint-Paul bus accident
- 28 February United States – Prestonsburg, Kentucky bus disaster: A school bus in Floyd County, Kentucky hits a wrecker truck and plunges down an embankment into the rain-swollen Levisa Fork River. The driver and 26 children die in the worst school bus crash in U.S. history.
- April 21 Colombia – A bus lost control, plunging into a swollen mountain river, outside of Cajamarca, Tolima, Colombia, with 40 fatalities.
- 22 December Greece –: A suburban bus from Ioannina to Chouliarades carrying 34 people (32 passengers, 1 driver, 1 conductor) failed to complete a manoeuvre on the steep road near the village of Petrovouni, Ioannina and subsequently fell down the 350m slope to Arachthos gorge. There were 29 fatalities, 7 of them minors.
- 20 June Germany – A crowded bus collides with a train on a level crossing in Lauffen am Neckar, West Germany killing 45 people, the worst bus accident in German history.
- July 24 – A charter bus collides with a regular route bus, the charter bus plunging 270 feet into a valley along the toll road of Mount Hiei, Ōtsu, Shiga, Japan, killing 30 people and injuring another 18.
- September 14 – A truck struck a suburban bus which subsequently crashed on an olive tree between Athens and Korinth. The collision claimed 11 lives (10 passengers and the driver).
- December 14. 20 schoolchildren were killed in a bus-train collision two miles east and a mile south of Evans, Colorado. The bus driver had stopped at the rural track but did not see or hear the train arriving. The bus had almost passed over the track when it was struck by the train.
- June 11. Argentina – The Villa Soldati level crossing tragedy occurred in the city of Buenos Aires when a train struck a municipal bus carrying school children to kindergarten. There were 42 children killed and another 83 were injured.
- – February 7 – A bus in Northland Region, New Zealand leaves the road and hits a pole, killing 15 people. This is considered the worst road crash in New Zealand history.
- – April 7 Kenya – A bus returning from an African church meeting plunges into the Tiva River, Mitaboni, Machakos, Kenya, killing at least 72 people.
- – June 10 United States – An open truck carrying 49 Boy Scouts and leaders stalls while climbing a hill en route to Hole in the Rock, Utah, loses its brakes, and plunges into Carcass Wash, killing 13 people.
- – September 17 United States – Chualar bus crash a train hit a flatbed truck used as a bus at a rail crossing in Chualar, California, killing 32 people and injuring 25 others. It is considered the worst road crash in U.S. history.
- January 1 Peru – A Huancayo-Ayacucho regular route bus plunges 300 feet into a ravine of the Mantaro River, Peru, killing 31 people.
- January 10 Mexico – A bus carrying Zona Centro soccer players and their families plunges 450 feet into a ravine on the outskirts of Dolores Hidalgo, Guanajuato, Mexico, killing 19 people and injuring 22.
- February 3 Mexico – A regular route bus plunges 300 feet off a cliff along the Mexico-Ciudad Juárez expressway on the outskirts of Zacatecas, Mexico, killing 25 people and injuring 40.
- February 10 Egypt – A truck carrying 66 people plunged into a canal on the outskirts of al-Ayyat, Egypt, killing 36 people. The truck driver is arrested on suspicion of driving without a license.
- February 18 Italy – A Naples-Salerno regular route bus plunges 50 feet into a ravine on the Naples-Pompeii expressway near Mount Vesuvius, Italy, killing 17 people and injuring 60.
- March 2 Austria – 12 Swedish schoolchildren and 2 Finnish girls on winter sports holiday were killed when the bus they were traveling in was swept away in an avalanche in Obertauern, Austria.
- November 1 Egypt – A crowded trolley bus plunges into the Nile on the outskirts of Dokki, Giza, Egypt, killing 74 people.
- December 6 Togo – Two trucks carrying United Nation Peace Keeping Force workers collide at Sotouboua, Togo. Togolese authorities claim 125 people are killed.
- 25 July Germany – A bus carrying Belgian children from vacation plunges off a West German autobahn bridge and crashes on its roof. 33 people are killed, including 27 children and the bus driver who fell asleep behind the wheel. Only 4 people survive.
- October 7 Canada – Dorion level crossing crash: 19 people are killed when a school bus is hit by a CN train in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec.
- September 13 Brazil – A bus falls from Almas Bridge, near Belo Horizonte, killing 14 people.
- December 15 United States – Silver Bridge collapses under heavy traffic in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, killing 46 people.
- January 6 UK – In the Hixon rail crash, a passenger train hits a low-loader transporter and derails killing 11 and injuring 45 in Hixon, Staffordshire, England.
- August 18 Japan – Due to intense rain, two charter buses crash into the Hida River on national highway route 41 in Gero, Gifu Prefecture, Japan, killing 104 people.
- June 6 Philippines – A regular route bus navigating a sharp descending curve on a narrow mountain road near Baler, Aurora, Quezon, Philippines, plunges into a ravine and bursts into flames. 40 people are killed and another 32 are injured.
- June 21 Syria – An overcrowded vehicle carrying 35 workers crashes at Mahardah, Al-Amam, killing 25 people.
- July 18 United States – The Chappaquiddick incident. Although only one person (Mary Jo Kopechne) was killed when a car drove off the Dike Bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts, the crash was notable because the driver was US Senator Ted Kennedy, and a political scandal resulted.
- August 2 Brazil – A bus fell from Almas Bridge, 30 meters high, near Belo Horizonte, killing 30 people, the second serious crash in the same place, in less than two years.
- September 27 South Korea – A regular route bus plunges off a mountain cliff on the outskirts of Myongju, Gyeongsangnam-do, killing 15 people and injuring 20.
- November 22 Argentina – A bus plunges into a creek on the outskirts of Reconquista, Santa Fe Province, killing 56 people and 4 survive .
- 10 May South Korea – A crowded bus plunges off a 30-foot (9.1 m) cliff, crashing into a reservoir on the outskirts of Kapyong, northeastern Gyeonggi-do, killing 75 people.
- 10 May Mexico – Two local buses collide head-on on the Pinotepa National Highway, Florencio Villarveal, Guerrero, Mexico, killing 30 people; another 30 are injured.
- September 5 South Korea – A Masan-Jinhae regular route bus carrying 30 passengers fell 50-yards from a mountain road on the outskirts of Jinhae, Gyeongsangnam-do, killing 17 people and injuring 16.
- September 17 Spain – A bus carrying Canadian tourists collided head-on with a truck on the outskirts of Valdepeñas, Ciudad Real, Spain, killing 17 people.
- November 5 South Korea – A local bus plunged from a 900 feet-high mountain slope at Yeongdo-gu, Busan, killing 26 people and injuring 30.
- November 8 Thailand – A local bus collided head-on with a truck on the outskirts of Korat, Nakhon Ratchasima, killing 27 people and injuring 20.
- December 18 Egypt – A trailer truck carrying local workers plunged into an irrigation canal on the outskirts of Aswan, killing 50 people.
- February 15 Philippines – A Batangas-Manila Laguna transit bus collided with a truck, and plunged off the road at Calamba, Laguna, Philippines, in an incident caused by exceed speed, killing 13 people; another 41 are injured.
- February 18 Egypt – A crowded bus carrying 90 students overturns and plunges into an irrigation canal at Banha, Kafr Saad, Egypt, killing 77 people.
- March 22 United States – In Congers, New York on Gilchrest Road, five Nyack High School students are killed and 44 injured when a train hits a school bus that failed to stop at a crossing. This incident caused New York State to require school vehicles to stop at all railroad crossings.
- 25 August Netherlands – In a sudden dense fog on highway A16 near Prinsenbeek, many cars and trucks collide. 13 lives are lost in the crash and subsequent fires. After this crash, a fog warning system was installed along the route. Nevertheless, some 18 years later a similar crash occurred.
- September 23 Japan – According to the National Police Agency of Japan and Japanese Fuji Television, an Akakura-Togakushi regular route bus carrying 82 passengers plunged into a ravine at Shinano, Nagano, Japan. The NPA reports that this road is single lane. 15 people are killed, and another 67 are injured.
- January 1 Chile – A bus carrying the Condor soccer club of Curicó players and fans skidded on an acute curve and plunged into the Chimbarongo River, on the outskirts of San Fernando, Colchagua Province, Chile. The bus was returning from a Chilean soccer league second division match; 35 people were killed in the crash.
- June 22 Brazil – A bus skidded on an acute curve on highway BR-040 and plunged into the Paraibuna River, killing 25 people.
- July 18 France – A bus carrying Belgian tourists plunges into a ravine in Vizille, France, killing 43 people.
- 22 July Hong Kong – A bus plunged off the road down a 90m high hillside at the junction between Sam Wat Road and Keung Shan Road, Lantau, killing 17 and injuring 23.
- October 13 India – A regular route bus plunged off a bridge on the outskirts of Hazaribagh, Bihar, India, killing 74 people.
- November 10 Thailand – A truck carrying 60 workers plunged off a steep road on the outskirts of Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai, Thailand, killing 40 people and injuring 20.
- January 15 – 1974 Blythe, California bus crash: A bus carrying farm laborers missed a ninety-degree turn on an intersection and fell into a drainage canal near Blythe, California, killing 19.
- 28 July – A crowded bus and a truck collide near Belém, Brazil, killing 69 people.
- 30 July - United States: A 1972 Oldsmobile station wagon, occupied by four children and four adults, collided with a Soo Line freight train at the Fibre Crossing in Fibre, Michigan, which did not have lights or gates installed.
- September 8 Argentina – A bus returning from religious pilgrimage ran off a road and plunged 750 feet into a canyon on the outskirts of Salta Province, Argentina, killing 35 people.
- January 1 Japan – A charter bus carrying 62 passengers plunged 100 feet into Aoki Lake, Omachi, Nagano, Japan, killing 24 people.
- March 1 Kenya – An explosion in a Nairobi-Mombasa regular route bus in downtown Nairobi, Kenya, was blamed on Kenyan People Liberation Front, a terrorist group. 26 people killed, another 60 injured.
- April 2 France – A bus carrying French pilgrims plunged 120 feet into the Ramache River along the highway N85, at the end of Rampe de Laffrey, Vizille, Rhône-Alpes, France, killing 28 people, and injuring 17.
- April 20 Italy – At least 27 vehicles crashed within 15 minutes on the Naples-Caserta expressway Autostrada del Sole on the outskirts of Naples, Italy, killing 11 people and injuring 53.
- 27 May UK – Dibbles Bridge Coach Crash, England: a bus full of pensioners falls off a bridge near Grassington, North Yorkshire killing 32 people, and injuring 13.
- June 15 Austria – A bus carrying elderly tourists plunged 120 feet into a ravine on the outskirts of Villach, Carinthia, Austria, killing 21 people and injuring 23.
- July 29 Mexico – A bus carrying religious pilgrims plunged 200 feet down the side of mountain before coming to rest. The crash was at Chalma, Veracruz, Mexico, killing 18 people and injuring 30.
- 13 September – A crowded bus plunges off a cliff in Costa Rica, killing 48 people.
- February 16 Sweden – The worst traffic accident in Sweden occurred outside Axamo, Jönköping. Overheated tires caused a bus fire, killing 15 and injured 28.
- March 10 – A regular route bus lost control due to brake failure and plunged down a mountain side in central Escuintla, Guatemala, killing 38 people; another 14 are injured.
- May 21 United States – Yuba City bus disaster A bus carrying the Yuba City High School a cappella choir falls off Interstate 680 in California, killing 28 students and a teacher. This is the second deadliest bus crash in U.S. history, after the 1963 Chualar bus crash.
- August 22 Brazil – Former president Juscelino Kubitschek is killed when his car lost control and crashes against a truck on the Dutra Highway. His driver is also killed.
- October 31 Indonesia – A tourist bus head-on collides with a mini bus at outskirt of Bogor, West Java, Indonesia, in an incident caused when the tourist bus has brake failure, killing 34 people and injuring 25.
- November 14 Brazil – A bus carrying municipal election candidate and supporters has plunged into river near ferry terminal at Manaus-Itacoatiara expressway, Uruara, Pará, Brazil, killing 38 people.
- November 15 – A bus swept by flash flood in Tsoaing River, Thaba Pechela, Mafeteng, Lesotho, killing at least 90 people.
- December 21 France – A school bus carrying mentally handicapped children returning from a class in making Christmas ornaments at the Édouard Séguin Children Medical Center, plunged into the River Rhone, on the outskirts of Lyon, France, with at least 13 people killed.
- April 3 Egypt – A crowded bus skidded off the road, and plunged into irrigation Kassed Canal where it is parallel to the road at the outskirt of Tanta, Nile Delta, Egypt, killing 19 people.
- June 9 – A truck crashes into a crowd at a downtown Moscow bus stop, killing eight people and injuring 18.
- July 7 Pakistan. A bus carrying 44 cadets of Pakistan Military Academy, on an excursion, skidded off the road plunging into a 1000 ft deep ravine, near Nathiagali, killing 16 cadets including a Saudi cadet. 28 Cadets were injured.
- August 11 Japan – According to the Japanese National Police Agency and NHK television, a charter bus plunged 120 feet into a ravine at Nagatoro bridge, Kofu, Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan, killing 11 people; another 39 are injured.
- January 1 Thailand – A truck carrying many passengers collided head-on with a bus on the outskirts of Nong Bua Daeng, Chaiyaphum, Thailand, killing 25 people; another 86 are injured.
- January 3 Colombia – A Villavicencio-Bogotá regular route bus plunged 130 feet off a cliff on the outskirts of Quetame, Oriente, Colombia, killing 30 people; another 16 are injured.
- January 22 Poland – A truck with steel elements collided with crowded bus of PKS (Polish Road Transport) – killed 15 people and seriously injured 14.
- March 9 Brazil – A Brasília-São Paulo regular route bus collided with a gasoline tank truck on the Faria Lima expressway near Barretos in the state of São Paulo, Brazil. The bus driver swerved and lost control, and the vehicle burst into flames, killing 19. Another five are injured.
- July 11 Spain – Los Alfaques Disaster: in Sant Carles de la Ràpita, a tank truck containing 45 m³ of liquefied propylene leaves the road and veers into the Los Alfaques camping site after colliding with a building. The resulting fire ball is more than 100 meters in diameter and kills at least 215 people (some sources speak of 216 or even 270), and injures 200 people.
- 4 August Canada – A bus carrying mentally handicapped people plunges into a lake in Eastman, Quebec, Canada killing 40 people. Only seven people survive.
- November 15 Poland – Two buses of PKS (Polish Road Transport) with miners going to work plunged into the river Jezioro Żywieckie near Żywiec, killing 30 miners, one woman and two drivers.
- January 15. Argentina – In the town of Castelli, Buenos Aires Province a serious collision between two passenger buses resulted in 33 dead and 54 wounded.
- February 12 Bulgaria – An Ohrid-İzmir regular route bus carrying 50 passengers aboard failed to navigate a curve and plunged into the Marica River near Sofia, Bulgaria, killing 25 people.
- February 18 Costa Rica – A 40-passenger bus and an 18-passenger bus collided head-on at San Isidro, Heredia Province, Costa Rica, killing 16 people, with 39 injured.
- 3 March – 23 people are burned to death when city bus 62 catches fire in Minsk, Belarus after driving into a pool of gasoline spilled from a fuel truck.
- 5 March India – A bus slammed into a banyan tree, after attempting to overtake a truck on the outskirts of Krishnanagar, West Bengal, India. 32 people are killed and 42 injured.
- 9 May United States – 35 people are killed in the Sunshine Skyway Bridge disaster, Tampa, Florida, after a cargo ship collided with a bridge pier, demolishing over 1200 ft. of the bridge.
- May 28 Canada - A bus carrying members of a Canadian Pacific Railway "steel gang" near Swift Current, Saskatchewan was side-swiped by a car, causing it to flip on its side. The bus was then struck by a tanker truck carrying hot asphalt, killing 22 people.
- June 5 United States – A tour bus rolls off the highway near Jasper, Arkansas, killing 22 people and injuring 19.
- June 10 Ireland; A bus crashes and overturns outside Limerick, Republic of Ireland killing 2 people and injuring dozens more.
- June 25 India – A bus carrying 100 passengers lost control and plunged into the Rahand Nullah River, Bilaspur, Madhya Pradesh, India, killing 58 people.
- June 29 Pakistan – According to the Associated Press of Pakistan, a bus carrying more than 100 women and children plunges into a canal in Upper Jhelam, near Mirpur, Kashmir of Pakistan, and at least 90 people drown as a result.
- June 29 Romania – a bus carrying 83 people went off a bridge and overturned into a deep marsh near Huţani, a village in Vlădeni commune, Botoşani County, killing 48 people and injuring 35.
- July 4 Philippines – Two passenger buses collided head-on on National Highway Route 1, Camalig, Albay, Philippines, killing 13 people and injuring 28.
- November 11 Egypt – A bus collided with two trucks, then plunged into an irrigation canal near Beni Suef, Egypt, killing 30 people and injuring at least 30.
- November 25 India – A Gwalior-Delhi Delhi Transport bus tumbled into the Chambal River, Dholpur, Rajasthan, India, killing 40 people and injuring 30.
- January 3 India – A passenger bus skidded and plunged 200-feet down into a ravine at outskirt of Galhar, Indian state of Kashmir, killing 17 people and injuring 18.
- February 12 Venezuela – A crowded bus, heavy truck, a small vehicle and many vehicles collide at Barquisimeto, Venezuela, killing 36 people and injuring 31.
- April 9 Nicaragua –; A Nicaraguan Army's jeep and head-on collided with a regular route bus at outskirt of Estelí, Nicaragua, killing twenty people and injuring forty.
- April 14 India – A bus carrying Hindu pilgrims swerved to the left of the road, and navigating a turn with brakes failed, caught fire at Srisailam, Andhra Pradesh, India, killing 61 people.
- July 7 India – A bus skidded off the road and plunged into a deep gorge at outskirt of Kawanpui, Mizoram, India, killing 32 people and injuring 19.
- June 14 Pakistan – A bus plunged 300-feet into a ravine at Kohat Pass, Kohat, Pakistan, killing 23 people and injuring 25.
- August 12 India – An Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation regular route bus plunged into a 450-feet deep ravine along a mountain road in Pithorgarh, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 43 people.
- September 9 Brazil – A truck rammed a bus on an acute curve and forced it over a 330-foot cliff near Santos, state of São Paulo, Brazil, killing 29 people and injuring 14.
- September 29 Spain – A head-on collision of a bus and a truck in Toledo province, Spain, kills at least 25 people.
- October 14 India – A public bus plunged into foothills at outskirt of Simla, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 40 people and injuring 45.
- January 21 Bangladesh – An overcrowded bus swerves to avoid a speeding truck and plunges nine meters off a bridge at Narayanganj, Isa Khan, Bangladesh, killing at least 28 people; another 40 are injured.
- 31 January Chile – Two buses collide and plunge into a gorge on the outskirts of Santiago, Chile, killing 14 people and injuring 70.
- March 27 Mexico – A Toluca-Mexico City Passenger bus head-on collided with a trailer truck at outskirt of Mexico City, in an incident caused by condition of rain with narrow road, at least twenty-eight people dead and injuring 32.
- 1 August France – Two buses carrying children collide with cars and burst into flames in Beaune, France, killing 53 people, including 44 children. Worst highway crash in France. Full article: Beaune coach crash.
- September 9 – An express train collided with a bus at outskirt of Székesfehérvár, Fejér County, Hungary, killing at least sixteen passengers.
- 12 September – A bus carrying German tourists collides with a train on a level crossing near Zürich, Switzerland, killing 39 people. The barriers were not closed, because the operator pressed a wrong button. Only two passengers survive the crash. It is the worst road crash in Switzerland to date.
- 13 September Monaco – Grace, Princess of Monaco drove her Rover P6 off of a serpentine roadway and down a mountainside, perhaps after suffering a stroke. She died the next day.
- 3 November – Hundreds are allegedly killed in the Salang tunnel fire in central Afghanistan, after a disaster involving a Soviet fuel convoy. Estimates are as great as 2,700 dead.
- November 25 India – An overloaded truck spun out of control and flipped over near Kaitanol, Karnataka, India, killing at least 18 people and injuring 14.
- December 26 – A passenger bus plunged into a river at Brahmanbari, Bangladesh, at least forty-five people dead and eighty injured.
- January 19 United States – A semi-trailer truck crashed into a mainline toll booth on the Connecticut Turnpike in Stratford, Connecticut, after brake failure, killing six people and injuring four.
- February 11 – A Salonica-Athens express bus head-on collided with a truck at outskirt of Amfikleia, Phthiotis, Greece, in an incident caused by both vehicles exceeding the speed limit, killing seventeen people and injuring ten.
- February 13 – A passenger bus head-on collided with a truck, when driver trying to pass a car at outskirt of Şanlıurfa, Turkey, killing twenty people and injuring ten.
- March 2 – A charter bus plunged off mountainous highway into Mantaro River, Jauja, Junín Region, Peru, killing thirty people.
- November 1 – A bus collides with a motorcycle and hits a second bus 370 miles northeast of Bangkok, Thailand, killing 21 people and injuring 40.
- December 4 – A regular route bus crashed into a utility pole and caught fire on the outskirts of Bogotá, Colombia, in an incident caused by technical problems and excessive speed, killing 21 people. Another five people are injured.
- January 30 India – A Paonta Sahib-Nangai regular route bus plunged 14 feet into a canal and sank at the Sarsa Bridge on the outskirts of Rapar, Punjab of India, killing 80 people.
- May 4 India – An APSRTC bus carrying around 40 people plunged with a truck head on. The crash happened near Kavali of Andhra Pradesh, India, killed 20 people.
- August 1 India – A bus carrying local government employees plunged into a canal after its right front tire burst. The crash, on the outskirts of Ingraj Bazar, West Bengal, India, killed 40 people.
- August 1 – A bus skidded on a wet road, lost control and plunged into the Indus River on the Karakoram Highway, Baiji Sharif, northern Pakistan, killing 27 people.
- August 26 – A bus slipped and plunged into a 13-feet deep irrigation canal near Salkot, Nepal, killing 25 people.
- September 5 – A bus carrying 50 passengers plunged into a 3,300-foot-deep (1,000 m) gorge near Shillong, Meghalaya, India, in an incident caused by the driver losing control on an acute curve with dense fog. 29 people are killed, and another 25 are injured.
- September 24 – A bus plunges into a gorge in Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 42 people and injuring 15.
- October 31. Argentina – The collision of a commuter train with a passenger bus during the morning hours in the city of Buenos Aires causes a tragedy, 48 people die and 15 others injured. It is the worst crash involving a train and a bus in Argentina.
- November 25 – A bus returning from the shore of the Black Sea collided with a lorry in dense fog at northern Cankiri, Turkey, at least thirty people dead and injuring twenty-four.
- December 23 – An overcrowded passenger bus plunged off an expressway at Apaseo Grande, Guanjuato, Mexico, at least twenty-two people dead and injuring thirty-five.
- December 24 – An overcrowded bus with ninety passengers skidded off a steep bank on Wapadsberg Mountain, Craddock-Graaff Region, Eastern Cape, South Africa, at least 42 people dead and injuring 25.
- January 11 – A regular route bus skidded off a covered bridge in icy conditions and plunged into a frozen river at Yeongdong, Chungcheongbuk-do, South Korea, killing 38 people.
- January 28 – A bus carrying skiers plunges into a reservoir in Nagano, Japan killing 25 people.
- March 27 – A school bus crashed through a barrier and plunged into a dam killing 42 school children Westdene, Gauteng, South Africa. It is known as the Westdene dam disaster
- April 6 – A regular route bus suffered brake failure and plunged 20 feet at Bherughat, Madhy Pradesh, India, killing 16 people and injuring 39.
- April 20 – A bus plunged 500 feet down the side of road at outskirt of Hibberdene, Natal, South Africa, killing 18, another injuring are 29.
- June 11 – A bus carrying school children on a field trip collides with a train near Moshav Habonim, Israel; 21 people killed, including 19 children.
- July 21 – A bus carrying 42 passengers returning from a Buddhist ordination ceremony collided head-on with a truck at an intersection in a suburb of Bangkok, Thailand, killing 26 people and injuring 16.
- July 21 – A bus overturned after brake failure and ran through a crowded market at Halsema expressway, Atok, Benguet, Philippines, killing 28 people and injuring 70.
- 22 September – A school bus rolls over in Layyah, Pakistan, killing 30 children.
- 21 October UK – A coach collides with stationary traffic due to construction work on the M6 motorway, in Lancashire between Preston and Lancaster, killing 13 people.
- December 21 – A São Paulo-Rio de Janeiro Cometa Transport bus veered off the road and into Guandu River, outskirt of Piraí, Rio state, Brazil, killing 22 people.
- January 17 India – A crowded passenger bus plunged into an 89-foot-deep ravine while navigating a sharp curve at Navsari, Gujarat, India, killing 49 people and injuring ten.
- April 26 India – A bus carrying pilgrims to a shrine where plunged off a cliff at outskirt of Kathgodam, Uttarakhand, India, killing 44 people.
- May 12 South Africa – An overcrowded bus ran out of control due to brake failure and flipped over near Mount Frere, Eastern Cape, Transkei, South Africa, killing 30 people. Another 64 people are injured.
- 23 May Philippines – A bus falls off a cliff and explodes in Antique Province, Philippines, killing 23 people and injuring 15.
- 30 May United States – A tour bus plunges into the West Walker River near Walker, Mono County, California, killing 21 people and injuring 19.
- June 17 Peru – A bus carrying 40 passengers, including school children, plunged off a highway and into an irrigation ditch near Canete, Peru, killing 19 people and injuring 17.
- June 22 China – Two buses carrying Baobaoshan rural factory workers plunged 800-feet before an acute curve in the Mount Wutai area, Shanxi, China, killing 31 people and injuring 35.
- July 26 UK – Lockington rail crash: A train derails after colliding with a Ford Escort at a rail crossing in Lockington, Yorkshire, England, killing 8 people aboard the train and one aboard the car.
- September 27 Sweden – Metallica's bus skids off the road, killing Cliff Burton.
- October 8 Taiwan – A tourist bus plunges 33-yards down a valley onto a river bank at East-West Cross Island Expressway, outskirt of Taichung, Taiwan, killing 39 people.
- October 21 – Two packed buses hit by a passenger express train at Landhi, Karachi, Pakistan, killing 35 people and injuring 24.
- November 3 – A bus crashed into road side at outskirt of Murshidabad, West Bengal, India, killing 33 people and injuring 28.
- January 4 Brazil – A bus carrying workers head-on collided with a truck carrying tomatoes at Itapetininga, state of São Paulo, Brazil, killing fifteen people and injuring eleven.
- January 21 Chile – A truck and a bus collide near Temuco, Chile, killing 44 people.
- February 23 Nigeria – A bus carrying a wedding party skidded off an express way at outskirt of Nsukka, Anambra State, Nigeria, killing 35 people.
- 29 March China – A bus plunges off a cliff in Shaanxi, China, killing 19 people and injuring 28.
- May 6 Thailand – A bus carrying university students and teachers rammed into the side of a mountain near Kanchanaburi, Sri Sawat, Thailand, killing 20 people and injuring 27.
- July 7 Germany – A tank truck carrying gasoline crash and hit ice-cream parlor at Herborn, Lahn-Dill-Kreis, Hesse, Germany, killing six people and injuring 29.
- July 26 Brazil – A drunk bus driver crashes his bus against another bus, in highway BR-040, near Belo Horizonte, killing 69 people, the worst road crash to date in Brazil.
- July 30 India – A regular route bus into Yanto canal at outskirt of Dakpatthar, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 39 people.
- October 20 – A bus veered into a high-voltage power pole and caught fire after colliding with another bus at Al-Kufaytah, Nahr-an-nil, Sudan, killing 64 people.
- 28 October UK – A diesel tank truck collides with stationary traffic on the M61 motorway near Preston, Lancashire, killing 12 people and injuring 6.
- December 11 Egypt – A bus carrying local primary school children returning from the Guiza zoo was smashed by a fast-speed train at an unmarked railroad level crossing at Ein Sham, on the outskirts Cairo, Egypt, killing 62 children and injuring 67.
- December 27 Algeria – A passenger bus and two trucks carrying illegal passengers collided near Bouandas, Sétif, Algeria, killing 32 people and injuring 19.
- February 1 Haiti – A truck carrying many hitchhikers was hit by ten-wheel flatbed truck carrying coffee. The truck overturned and plunged into the Grande-Anse River, near Jérémie, Grand'Anse, Haiti, killing 70 people.
- February 15 – A bus plunged into a 170-foot ravine near Pallasca Province, Ancash Region, Peru, killing 14 people.
- April 10 – An overcrowded regular route bus blew a front tire and plunged into an irrigation canal near Mueang Chainat, Chainat Province, Thailand, killing 42 people and injuring 11.
- April 20 Thailand – A local bus collided with a paramilitary troop tank at Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. The resulting explosion killed 25 people and injured nine.
- 14 May United States – 27 people die in the Carrollton bus disaster near Carrollton, Kentucky, after a collision with a drunk driver driving the wrong way on Interstate 71. It remains the deadliest drunk driving crash in American history.
- July 18 Brazil – A Londrina-Campinas regular route bus swerved to avoid three cows crossing national road 369, then struck the rear of another bus near Cornelio Procopio, Parana, Brazil, killing 39 people.
- 12 August Iran – Two buses collide on the highway between Tehran and Tabriz in northern Iran, killing 30 people and injuring 50.
- 15 August Norway – 16 people, including 12 children, die in the Måbødalen bus crash when a bus rams into a concrete wall in a tunnel 60 miles east of Bergen, Norway.
- August 23 Austria – A Hungarian tour bus lost control and slammed into a truck at Schwadorf near Vienna, Austria, killing 14 people and injuring 11.
- 22 September India – A bus falls into a ravine near Simla, India. 35 people die.
- September 25 India – A bus plunged into Bhakra canal, smashing through the safety railing of a bridge near Jogwala, Sangrur district, Punjab, India, killing 67 people.
- October 6 – A Kafr el Sheikh-Baltim regular-route bus was hit by a flatbed trailer on the outskirts of El-Mahalla El-Kubra, Egypt, killing 28 people and injuring 21.
- October 9 – A Guwahati-Nalbari regular-route bus skidded off a road and crashed into a flooded pond on the outskirts of Guwahati, Assam, India, killing 50 people.
- October 12 – A bus ignites after toppling into a ditch in Shaanxi, China, killing 43 people and injuring 40.
- October 21 – Three separate buses collided with a refrigerator truck and overturned at Martorell, Catalonia, Spain, killing 14 people and injuring 65.
- January 17 Sri Lanka – 51 people die and 110 are injured when a bus packed with school children collides with a train at a level crossing of Ahungalle, southern Sri Lanka.
- February 24 – A Bahia-Brasília regular route bus head-on collided with a truck carrying a load of corn at outskirt of Catalão, Goiás, Brazil, killing 16 people and injuring 25.
- February 26 – A bus plunged 330-feet into a deep valley at outskirt of Taoyuan City (now Taoyuan District), Taiwan, killing twelve people and injuring 24.
- May 19 – A Lima-Huancayo regular route bus carrying sixty passengers slammed on brakes to avoid a pile of construction blocking bridge, and plunged 90 feet into a Mantaro River, outskirt of Jauja, Junín Region, Peru, killing 45 people.
- India June 7 – A bus plunged 100-feet into a ravine at outskirt of Baramulla, Jammu and Kashmir, India, killing fifty people and injuring twenty.
- June 24 Brazil – Two vehicles of São Paulo-Rio Grande do Norte regular route buses tumbled down a 100-feet embankment at Outskirt of Estancia, Sergipe, Brazil, killing 31 people and injuring fifty.
- July 16 Japan – A landslide caused by intense rain collapsed a tunnel, striking a minibus and killing 15 people at Echizen, Fukui Prefecture, Japan.
- September 21 United States - Alton, Texas bus crash - A truck hit a school bus in Alton, Texas, and the bus fell into a caliche pit filled with water; 21 students died.
- October 8 Canada – Cormier-Village Hayride Accident, 13 adults and children are killed and 30 are injured near Shediac, New Brunswick, when a transport truck carrying logs spilled its cargo while passing a loaded hayride.
- October 20 Australia – The Grafton bus crash – A Sydney-Brisbane Sunliner Coaches tourist bus collided head-on with a tractor trailer truck near Grafton, New South Wales, Australia, killing 21 people and injuring 22.
- 22 December Australia – 35 people are killed in the Kempsey bus crash on the Pacific Highway near Kempsey, New South Wales.
- December 24 – A regular route bus plunged into a procession at Nag-el-Hobeiki, Luxor, Egypt, killing 13 people and injuring 8.
- 26 January Ireland. Eight people were killed, and five more were injured, when a tree crashed onto a mini bus during the Burns Day storm. It was the worst incident of a storm that killed 97 people across Western Europe and the British Isles.
- 28 February Malaysia – 17 people including 11 Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) riot police personal were killed in a collision between FRU riot police vehicles, tanker lorry, passenger bus and 10 cars on the Kuala Lumpur–Karak Expressway, Malaysia.
- 20 March United States – Whilst on tour, a semi trailer rammed into a tour bus containing singer Gloria Estefan, husband Emilio, their son and three other passengers at Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania, severely injuring Gloria. Following extensive surgery, she returned to an international tour ten months after the crash.
- 22 April Cuba – Two buses collide in Havana, Cuba, killing 11 people and seriously injuring 13.
- June 3 France – Joigny coach crash: A Shropshire based double-decker coach bus suffered a blowout of the front tyre on the autoroute A6 near Auxerre when it was 20 mph in excess of the speed limit, causing the 76-seat coach to crash, killing 11 people and injuring 61 British tourists, all returning from Costa Brava. This resulted in a legal action against Avon Rubber, manufacturer of the tyre of the crash coach, its driver and his employer; resulting in the longest legal case in France.
- 8 July USSR – A bus ignores a barrier at a railroad crossing and collides with a passenger train near Petrozavodsk, Karelia, Russia, killing 27 people (34 according to unofficial sources) and injuring 24. The bus driver is injured slightly.
- September 20 – A mini-van skidded on the slippery road rammed inter-city bus exceeded speed and plunged off the road, and another inter-city bus hit into disaster site with rescuers working at outskirt of Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia, killing 33 people and injuring 17.
- September 24 – A truck carrying two unsecured 20,000-liter liquefied petroleum gas tanks overturned on New Phetchaburi Road, downtown Bangkok, Thailand. The explosions and resulting fires consumed 43 vehicles and many buildings in the area, killing 59 people and injuring 89.
- November 4 – A bus carrying former president Chun Doo-hwan devotees hit by truck and plunged Koonchook bridge, Soyang, Gangwon-do, South Korea, killing 21 people, another injuring are 21.
- July 26, 1990 Canada – A British Columbia bus carrying a dance troop to the Okanagon Peach Festival was in a terrible crash through the Rogers Pass, British Columbia. Transport truck lost its steel load, which struck the dance troop charter, killing the driver instantly as well as many young dancers and adults. The bus driver drove the bus into the embankment of rock rather than over the side of a cliff, saving the remainder of the people on the bus.
- 9 November Netherlands – Almost at the same spot and with the same cause of the August 25, 1972 crash: in sudden dense fog on highway A16 west of Breda, several cars and trucks collide in a huge pile-up. 10 people die and 28 are injured.
- November 10 USSR – A bus collided passenger train and crushed at outskirt of Sverdlovsk, Yarnal Nenets Oblast, Russia, killing 16 people, another 13 are injured.
- 22 November USSR – A bus ignores a red light and collides with a train at a railroad crossing in Donetsk, Ukraine, killing 19 people and wounding 13, though the bus driver is not injured.
- December 11 United States – A 99 car pile-up due to fog on Interstate 75 near Calhoun, Tennessee results in 12 deaths and 42 injured.
- December 2 India – A bus carrying wedding party plunged down a ravine at outskirt of Nainital, Uttar Pradesh, India, killing 30 people, another 20 are injured.
- 30 December USSR – 56 people die in a collision involving a bus, truck and car on a highway between Voronezh and Rostov-on-Don in southwestern Russia.
- January 6 Kenya – A bus slammed into a tree on a railroad crossing at outskirt of Murang'a, Central Province, Kenya, in an incident caused by driver losing control and excessive speed, killing 47 people, another 40 are injured.
- January 13 – A Dapitan-Dipolog regular route bus plunged into a river at outskirt of Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines, killing 25 people.
- 15 February – A trailer truck carrying dynamite explodes at Thung Maphrao, Phang Nga, Thailand killing 171 local villagers.
- March 13 UK – 1991 M4 Motorway crash: 10 people die in a 45 vehicle pile up in foggy conditions on the M4 motorway near Hungerford.
- 31 July United States – A bus carrying about 60 Girl Scouts overturns on a desert mountain road near California Highway 111 and not far from Palm Springs, killing 7 people.
- 4 August Zimbabwe – A crowded bus carrying school children from Regina Coeli Mission in Nyanga loses control and crashes in Troutbeck, Manicaland, Zimbabwe, killing 87 people, including 82 children.
- 7 August Austria – The brakes of a Hungarian tourist bus fail in Styria, killing 15 people and injuring 28.
- November 29 United States – A dust storm on Interstate 5 near Coalinga, California triggers a 164-vehicle pile up that leaves 17 people dead and 150 injured.
- 6 December Spain – A 25-vehicle pile-up crash due to dense fog on Autovía A-8 near Amorebieta-Etxano, Basque Country kills 17 people and injures 50. A spark sets the pile of cars afire.
- March 1 Bangladesh – A regular route bus with 100 passengers vaulted into a road side creek at outskirt of Jaldhalca, Nilphamari District, Bangladesh, killing 25 people.
- April 3 – A regular route bus with eighty passengers exploded and caught fire, and passengers jumping from out of window, because of broke open a door at outskirt of Yiyang, Hunan, China, killing 55 people.
- April 12 South Africa – A bus carrying seventy school children ripped apart, after crashing into Buffalo River bridge, Dundee, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa, killing 33 people.
- April 18 Argentina – A Buenos Aires-Mar del Plata regular route bus smashed with three vehicles and foggy condition at outskirt of Mar del Plata, Argentina, killing 32 people and injuring 40.
- 19 August – A bus falls down an embankment on the A7 highway in Spain, killing 45 and injuring 11.
- 6 September Germany – Near Donaueschingen in the Black Forest, a bus collides into a passenger car and is slit open by a crash barrier. 21 people die, 32 are injured seriously.
- September 27 Nepal – A truck plunged 450 feet below at outskirt of Dhankuta, Nepal, killing 21 people.
- September 27 Hungary – A minibus carrying German travellers collided with local train crossing at Agárd, Hungary, killing 16 people, another three are injured.
- October 9 Brazil – A bus carrying October Revelers entertainment group drove off a mountain road and plunged down cliff at outskirt of Sao Luis do Puruna, Parana, Brazil, killing 34 people.
- 9 January Argentina – Three buses collide and ignite on a highway in Santo Tomé, Corrientes, Argentina, killing 55 people and injuring 70.
- April 7 – At least 29 people were killed and 18 injured when a Turkish coach fell from a bridge into the Yantra River near Byala, after colliding with a lorry. Another heavy Turkish lorry slammed into a crane set up on the bridge to lift the wreckage out of the water.
- April 30 – A passenger train hit a bus carrying children of Shergli Primary schools at unguarded railroad crossing at Phutthamonthon, Nakorn Pathom, Thailand, killing 36 people, including 28 children.
- May 13 Russia – A Sogratl-Makhachkala regular route bus plunged into 260-feet george at outskirt of Gunib, Caucasus Mountains area, Dagestan, Russia, killing 25 people.
- May 27 Peru – A bus carrying Santiago de Chocorvos Conference business owners plunged 160-feet from road near foothill at outskirt of Ica, Peru, in an incident caused by mechanical failure, killing 21 people and injuring eleven.
- July 24 Indonesia – A Surabaya-Pandanwangi passenger train rammed into an intercity bus an unguarded railroad crossing, and a bus dragged for eighty-yard before the train halted at Jombang, West Java, Indonesia, killing fifteen people and injuring twenty.
- October 3 Kenya – A multiple road disaster, including a passenger bus, truck and many vehicles are crashed at Nakuru-Eldoret road, Nakuru, Kenya, killing 35 people and injuring 41.
- 10 November – A fiery pile-up on autoroute A10 near Mirambeau, France leaves 15 people dead and 53 injured.
- 17 November UK – The M40 minibus crash leaves 12 children dead when their minibus collides with a maintenance vehicle near Warwick, England, causing new road security campaigns.
- December 27 Brazil – An overloaded Curitiba-Porto Alegre regular route bus collided with sports car and plunged into a ravine at outskirt of Curitiba, Parana, Brazil, killing 41 people, another 79 are injured.
- January 10 China – A bus pass through guardrail, veered off Feiyun bridge river at Rui'an, Zhejiang, China, killing 45 people.
- January 11 South Africa – A Cape Town–Durban luxury bus plunged off a bridge at between Bethlehem and Harrismith, Orange Free State, South Africa, killing 14 people, another 27 are injured.
- January 31 Vietnam – A regular route bus caught fire and plunged into 300-feet below of sea at national highway 1, Cả Pass, Khánh Hòa Province, Vietnam, killing 28 people, another 11 are injured.
- March 14 India – A bus carrying 75 passengers swerved off an iron and concrete bridge into a fast flowing river in Kadava, Maharashtra, India, killing 64 people.
- 2 May – Poland bus disaster of 1994: 32 people die in collision between a Przedsiębiorstwo Komunikacji Samochodowej transport agency bus and a tree near Gdańsk.
- May 24 India – A bus rolled down a mountainside road at outskirt of Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 14 people, another 11 are injured.
- May 26 South Africa – A bus lost control and plunged into dam at Lothian, Eastern Transvaal, South Africa, killing 36 people.
- May 26 South Africa – A minibus head-on collided a truck at outskirt of Middelburg, Eastern Transvaal, South Africa, killing 13 people.
- September 1 Ecuador – A bus carrying musical band has lost control, brake failure, and plunged 600-feet down a highway embankment at outskirt of Mitad del Mundo, Pichincha, Ecuador, killing 50 people.
- October 16 Nepal – A commuter bus plunged off a mountain road and fell 600-feet at outskirt of Amarai, Narayani, Nepal, killing 15 people, another 21 are injured.
- January 21 Mexico – A truck carrying religious pilgrims plunged 50 feet off a highway outside Oaxaca city, Mexico, killing 22 people and injuring ten.
- February 5 Colombia – A bus collided with a truck carrying cement near Ponedera, Atlántico Department, Colombia, killing 13 people.
- March 12 – A truck carrying benzene rammed a bus outside Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, India, killing 110 people.
- October 25 United States – A train collided with a school bus at a grade crossing in Fox River Grove, Illinois, killing 7 children and injuring 21."NTSB Report HAR-96/02".
- January 1 Mexico – 2 buses collided after one veered into the wrong lane at Highway Two line, Sonoyta, Plutarco Elías Calles, Mexico, killing 23 people, another 50 are injured.
- January 1 Democratic Republic of the Congo – A Kinshasa-Kingasani regular route bus plunged a ravine and skidded off a main road at Kimbanseke area, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing 72 people.
- February 10 Japan – A huge shard of rock weighing about 21,000 tons smashed through a Toyohama tunnel, national highway route 229, Yoichi, western Hokkaidō, Japan, crushing a Shakotan-Otaru regular route bus and a car, killing 20 people.
- 25 February Bolivia – Two buses collide head-on near La Paz, Bolivia, killing at least 35 people.
- 28 February Spain – A charter bus collides with a car near Bailen, Spain, killing 29 people and injuring 17.
- March 17 Saudi Arabia – A bus carrying illegal foreigners has crushed at outskirt of 'Asir, Jizan, Saudi Arabia, killing 45 people.
- April 4 – A Seoul commuter bus plunged at Han River, Yeouido, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, South Korea, killing 20 people, another injuring are 38.
- September 26 Russia – A local bus hit by passenger train at railroad crossing of near Konnoarmayskaya, Rostov, Yaroslavl Oblast, Russia, killing 21 people and injuring twenty.
- September 29 Japan – A minivan carrying construction workers crashed at national highway route 9, Muraoka, Hyōgo, Japan, killing 10 people.
- October 11 Estonia - Scania wood lorry crashes into PAZ school bus carrying 35 students and 2 adults. In the collision, the lorry "skinned" off the school bus' left side, killing 8 students.
- November 1 Peru – A bus carrying 60 passengers has lost control and plunged off 1500-feet below of cliff at outskirt of San Mateo, Matucana, Peru, killing 39 people, injuring 15.
- January 14 — A crowded city bus plunges into the Nile in Cairo, Egypt, killing 39 people and injuring 24.
- January 19 — A bus plunges into a river after losing control on a curvy road in Punjab, India, killing 29 people and injuring 12.
- February 28 – 9 people killed on the spot and 36 injured when two buses owned and managed by Rural Transit Inc. of Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines skidded and smashed each other at Barangay Tubigan, Initao, Misamis Orinetal.
- 10 March — 3 people killed and 60 injured in 160 vehicle collision on the M42 motorway due to fog.
- March 24 — A Seoul bound passenger train smashed into packed local bus, where flipped a vehicle onto railroad side at Namwon, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea, killing fourteen people and injuring twenty.
- May 8 — 70 people heading to a wedding were killed when a truck plunged into a gorge in Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh.
- August 31 — Diana, Princess of Wales was killed in a Paris underpass along with 2 other passengers.
- October 13 — Les Éboulements bus crash in Quebec, Canada, results in 44 deaths when a bus plunges into a ravine, the worst bus crash in Canadian history.
- October 24 — 48 people, most of whom were university students, killed in a collision of an empty gasoline tanker truck and a passenger bus in Karapınar on Konya-Ereğli motorway. The passengers were trapped in the bus when both vehicles got aflame. The accident led to wide debate on fire-safety standards of passenger buses.
- October 25 — A bus smashed into a carrying gasoline tanker truck at Tugela River, Port Shepstone, South Africa. This bus carrying Inkatha Freedom Party devotees and members. At least 33 people killed.
- November 6 — A passenger train crashes into a bus in Holguín Province, Cuba, killing at least 56 people.
- November 19 — An overloaded school bus skidded of a bridge and plunged into the Yamuna River near the outskirts of New Delhi, India. The accident resulted in 29 deaths and injuries to around 60 passengers.
- November 27 — At least 34 people drowned when their bus fell into a canal in Karnataka.
- December 8 — Twenty-two people were killed when a lorry collided with a minibus in central Rwanda.
- January 2 — Six people were killed and two others were seriously injured when a bus and a jeep collided in state of Rajasthan
- January 5 — 43 people were killed and more than 60 seriously injured when a bus plunged down a steep slope in Nyanga district, after the brakes of a bus failed.
- January 7 — A Meru-Nairobi Kenyan Bus Service regular route bus lost control of the vehicle and plummeted down 100-feet embankment into Nithi river, Kenya, killing 58 people, another 42 are injured.
- January 13 — A bus carrying 86 students and parents back from a Murshidabad picnic site, skidded in fog and plunged into the Bhagirathi River at Jalangi, West Bengal, India, in an incident caused by lost control and exceed speed, killing 65 people.
- February 28 – Twenty people died when a school bus collided with a city bus at Ariapatti Vilakku, near Valandu in Tamil Nadu. Eleven student passengers on the school bus died, with the remaining nine being passengers on the city bus. Forty one passengers were injured.
- March 9 — At least 16 killed and 6 missing after their bus plunged into a flooded river in the mountainous.
- April 3 — A petrol tanker truck collided with a bus of Iranian Muslims returning from Syria at outskirt of Birecik, Şanlıurfa, Turkey, killing 28 people, another 7 are injured.
- April 15 — A school bus is involved in a five-vehicle collision near Newcastle, KwaZulu-Natal, killing 31 people, including 27 children.
- April 26 — At least 10 killed in bus crash in Province of Alicante.
- May 5 — At least 72 people drowned on Monday when the bus they were travelling in was swept into a river in Tanga Region.
- July 15 — At least 45 killed when a bus has plunged several hundred feet into a river in Arunachal Pradesh.
- July 27 — At least 19 killed including 2 children and 60 injured in a bus crash on Sunday.
- August 12 — A bus has crashed down a ravine in Montenegro and killed at least 18.
- August 26 — At least 17 people have been killed when a bus hit a tractor trailer in Uttar Pradesh.
- August 30 — At least 21 people were killed when a bus they were travelling in left the road and crashed down a hillside in western Nepal.
- August 31 — A pickup truck carrying attending wedding couples and families head-on collide with another truck at El Jadida, Assabah, Morocco, killing at least 20 people.
- September 8 — A tanker truck flips and explodes on a highway north of São Paulo, Brazil, setting fire to two buses and killing at least 50 people.
- September 20 — About 40 killed in bus-train collision in Turkmenistan.
- September 27 — At least 23 people died and 18 injured when a bus fell off a cliff near the southern town of Mayoc.
- November 11 — At least 40 people were killed when a bus plunged down a mountain gorge in Arunachal Pradesh.
- December 14 — At least 19 people were killed and 35 injured when a bus fell into a gorge in the Pithoragarh district.
- December 23 — An Ankara-Samsun regular route bus head-on collided with a fuel truck and burning both vehicle at outskirt of Samsun, northern Turkey, killing 11 people and injuring ten.
- December 23 — At least 21 people killed when a bus collided with a large truck.
- December 25 — At least 19 people killed in Andhra Pradesh when a bus crashed into a train.
- December 31 — 100 cars crashed on an ice-slicked section of Interstate-75 in central Michigan, killing one and injuring 39.
- January 4 — A local bus carrying 40 passengers exploded and blast ripped at outskirt of Linghai, Jinzhou, Liaoning, China, killing 18 people.
- January 9 — A bus carrying funeral mourners ran off the road and plunged into a river below of 750 feet at outskirt of Kazbegi, Khevi, Georgia, killing 38 people.
- January 21 — At least 22 were killed when a bus fell into a ravine near the town of Baguio on Wednesday night.
- January 24 — A bus carrying Hungarian skiers plunged off a hillside on the outskirts of Deutschlandsberg, Styria, Austria, killing 18 people and injuring 32.
- January 31 — At least 31 killed when a bus plunged off a bridge.
- February 26 — A minibus east of Karlskoga, Sweden got stuck on a truck, was dragged along and finally caught fire. Seven children and two teachers, were killed.
- March 15 — The train City of New Orleans collides with a truck and derails in Bourbonnais, Illinois, United States, killing 11 people.
- March 24 — 39 people killed in the Mont Blanc Tunnel fire.
- April 30 — A small vehicle collides with a stopped tanker truck loaded with propane and starts a fire near Kamena Vourla, Fthiotis. A huge explosion follows several minutes later killing 5 people and injuring 14.
- May 9 — A bus slipped and plunged down a 680-foot slope at Kapurbot Bazar, Saiyan, Rapti, Nepal, killing 32 people and injuring 36.
- May 9 — A tour bus crashes into a concrete wall on Interstate 610 in New Orleans, killing 22 people and injuring 24.
- May 21 — A truck and a bus are involved in a crash in the town of San Luis Province. killing 21 people. There were four survivors. ThIs the worst disaster in the history of the province.
- May 29 — 12 people killed and 50 injured in a collision and fire in Tauern Tunnel in Austria.
- June 6 – At least 8 people died on Saturday after a bus burst a tyre and overturned at Naivasha on the main Nairobi to Nakuru highway, in another crash 12 were killed when the bus collided with another vehicle.
- June 8 — At least 94 killed including 11 children after a bus plunged into a lake in Karnataka.
- July 18 — A Kiari-Shimla HRTC regular route bus carrying 90 passengers plunged into a 40-foot deep gorge on the outskirts of Baghar, Himachal Pradesh, India, killing 18 people. Another 55 are injured.
- July 24 — A trailer truck crashes into cars slowed by roadwork on Quebec Autoroute 20 near Saint-Michel-de-Bellechasse, killing 4 people and injuring 11. A public investigation is launched.
- August 11 — An attack on a passenger bus in the town of Fighiera in the Santa Fe Province causes a strong fire, killing 13 people and injuring five.
- September 3 — Dense fog on Highway 401 near Windsor, Ontario reduces visibility to less than a meter (3 ft) and causes an 87-vehicle pileup and fire that kills 8 people and injures 33. Many vehicles are fused together by the intense heat.
- September 14 — A long distance regular route bus overturned and plunged into a canyon in the outskirts of Kaijiang, Dazhou, Sichuan, China, killing 46 people. Another 9 are injured.
- September 16 — Two road crashes in Peru involving buses have killed at least 16 people and injured 48 others.
- September 19 — At least 20 people have died in a bus crash.
- September 22 — At least 11 people have been killed in South Africa in a head-on collision between a bus and a truck.
- September 25 — A bus went off a highway in foggy weather and crashed in the outskirts of Kokstad, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, killing 15 people. Another 20 are injured.
- October 4 — At least 19 people have been killed and 47 seriously injured after a bus crashed down a river embankment.
- October 5 — At least 45 people have been killed in a bus crash in the Indonesian province of West Java.
- October 9 — A tourbus in Galilee, Israel, hit a slick spot on the road, rolled downhill; 17 killed.
- October 25 — A bus swerved to avoid hitting a cow and skidded off a mountain road into a deep gorge, killing 27 and injuring 47 on the way home from a temple in Northern India in Hoshiarpur district, 70 miles northeast of Amritsar.
- November 7 — At least 50 people have died in a bus crash in Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir.
- November 19 — A commuter bus collided with many vehicles, include truck, bus at Lagos-Kano expressway at outskirt of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. Aftermath, a bus caught fire on impact. This crash killed 22 people, another 16 are injured.
- December 30 — A Karachi-Rawalpindi regular route bus overturned and caught fire at Lahore-Islamabad M2 expressway, outskirt of Kallar Kahar, Punjab of Pakistan, in an incident caused by excessive speed, killing 48 people. Another 20 are injured.
- List of bridge failures
- List of level crossing accidents
- Lists of rail accidents includes level crossing crashes
- Multiple-vehicle collision
- "Le fardier de Cugnot". Archived from the original on 2008-04-16.
- "Mary Ward 1827–1869". Famous Offaly People. Offaly Historical & Archaeological Society. Archived from the original on January 5, 2006. Retrieved April 25, 2006.
- "Waikato Times, 1891-11-28". paperspast.natlib.govt.nz National Library of New Zealand. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "World's First Automobile Accident – Ohio History Central – A product of the Ohio Historical Society". Ohio History Central. 2006-07-27. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Andrew McFarlane (17 August 2010). "How the UK's first fatal car accident unfolded". BBC News Magazine. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "Robert Douglas Spedden". Find a Grave. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Wheels of Industry". Commercial Motor. 16 June 1925. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Twenty-three Cadets Killed by Bus at Chatham", The Times, 5 December 1951
- "Essingebroolyckan 1948" [Essinge Bridge accident in 1948] (in Swedish). Tidningarnas Telegrambyrå. 2014-02-03. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- National Police Agency of Japan
- Braithwaite, J.G. (1952). "Road safety: report: bus accident at Gillingham". Ministry of Transport. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-06-27.
- "Error, Inconel". www.tvvalkenburg.nl. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- fr:Accident des rampes de Saint-Paul
- Jacobs, Chick. "Deadliest crash in NC history was right outside Fayetteville". The Fayetteville Observer. Retrieved 2019-01-31.
- Βασίλης Κιστής (22 December 2011). Η συγκλονιστική αφήγηση μιας γυναίκας που επέζησε απ' το τραγικό δυστύχημα στο Τσίμποβο στις 22 Δεκέμβρη 1958 [The shocking narration of a woman that survived the tragic accident at Tsibovo on 22 December 1958] (in Greek). Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "Chronik: Schwere Busunfälle in Deutschland". Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Χ.Κ. Λαζαρόπουλος. "Απίστευτο Δυστύχημα/Unbelievable accident". Car&Truck. Archived from the original on August 12, 2007. Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- 20 Children Killed as Passenger Train Hits School Bus East of Evans Greeley Tribune (Colorado); December 14, 1961.
- Waitangi Day Bus Accident, 1963, The Encyclopedia of New Zealand 1966
- Kenya Broadcasting Corporation radio report
- "1960 – 1969 / Tragedy at Escalante". Utah Department of Public Safety. Archived from the original on 2009-05-11.
- Flores, Lori A. (Summer 2013). "A Town Full of Dead Mexicans: The Salinas Valley Bracero Tragedy of 1963, the End of the Bracero Program, and the Evolution of California's Chicano Movement". The Western Historical Quarterly. 44 (2): 124–143. doi:10.2307/westhistquar.44.2.0124.
- The Derrick (Oil City, Pennsylvania via AP; January 4, 1965; p. 2 (available through newspaperarchive.com)
- Notimex news agency
- Televisa news report
- Cumberland Evening Times (Maryland) via UP; February 11, 1965; p. 2 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- ANSA news agency
- Källberg, Knut-Göran (26 February 2015). "De dog i lavinen – på sportlovsresan" [They died in the avalanche – on the winter holiday]. Expressen (in Swedish). Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- Ratnikas, Algis. "Timeline Egypt". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Historical Events on December 6". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Een eeuw in beeld – 1966". Archived from the original on 10 February 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Seim, Charles (May 2008). "Why Bridge Have Failed Throughout History". Civil Engineering. 78 (5): 64–71, 84–87.
- Ministry of Transport (1968). Report of the Public Inquiry into the Accident at Hixon Level Crossing on January 6, 1968. HMSO. ISBN 0-10-137060-1.
- GMA Network news report
- Syrian Arab News Agency
- Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation report
- Artear television news report
- "Kettingbotsing A16, Prinsenbeek". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Accidents de la route". Archived from the original on 19 August 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Transport fatal accidents and FN-curves:1967–2001" (PDF). Health and Safety Executive. Retrieved 2011-11-20.
- "Tidigare svåra bussolyckor" [Past accidents involving buses]. Göteborgs-Posten (in Swedish). 22 September 2009. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Timeline 1976". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- 13 Retarded Children Die In French Bus Plunge; Kingsport Times (Tennessee); December 22, 1976; p. 2 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- Oberg, James E. Uncovering Soviet Disasters: Exploring the Limits of Glasnost. New York: Random House, 1988: 106.
- pl:Katastrofa autobusu koło Osiecznicy
- "Accidente de Los Alfaques (San Carlos de la Ràpita, España)". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- ‹See Tfd›(in French) Catastrophes Sur Les Routes Archived 2007-08-11 at the Wayback Machine
- pl:Katastrofa autobusów koło Żywca
- "Minskiy Kurier article (in Russian)". Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Highway Accident Report HAR-81/01". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Shafer, Jack. "The Rise and Fall of the "Bus Plunge" Story: What Killed This Former New York Times Staple? http://www.slate.com/id/2152895" Slate.com 13 November 2006
- "30 de ani de la cel mai cumplit accident". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Associated Press. "Bus Crash Kills 25 in Spain" The New York Times 29 September 1981
- "Reuters report via New York Times". 31 January 1982. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Il ya vingt ans, l'accident de Beaune Archived 2009-08-04 at the Wayback Machine
- ADAC. "Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982". Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "6 Die in Crash at Toll Station in Connecticut". New York Times. 1983-01-20. Retrieved 2010-10-15.
- "UPI report via New York Times". 1 November 1983. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Associated Press "Bus Crash in India Kills 34" The New York Times 14 September 1992
- "train wreck historical timeline 1950-to-2000". crazycrashes.wordpress.com.
- "Brief New York Times Report". 22 September 1985. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Columbia Missourian 22nd October 1985". Retrieved 11 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Associated Press. "Philippine Bus Crash Kills 23" The New York Times 25 May 1986
- "Highway Accident Report HAR-87-4". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- McIver, Joel (2004). Justice for All: The Truth about Metallica. Omnibus Press. pp. 159–165. ISBN 978-0-7119-9600-7.
- Reuters Chinese Bus Plunge Kills 19 The New York Times 5 April 1987
- Associated Press. "Egypt Bus Crash Kills At Least 57 Children" The New York Times 12 December 1987
- "AP report via New York Times". 14 August 1988. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Weigl, Kerstin (14 August 1998). "Sorg går inte över – men går att leva med" [Grief does not pass – but you can live with]. Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Brief New York Times Report". 21 February 1988. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "AP report via New York Times". 17 October 1988. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Fischler, Jacob (2014-09-21). "Remembering the 21: Sunday is 25th anniversary of Alton bus tragedy". The Monitor. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- Dougherty, Steve (1990-04-09). "Singer Gloria Estefan Takes Her First Steps to Recovery After a Frightening Bus Crash". People.com. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Sewards, Lisa (September 5, 2008). "How Gloria Estefan overcame a crippling accident and helped Madonna conceive". Daily Mail. London.
- Reuters "Bus Crash in Havana Kills 11" The New York Times 24 April 1990
- "Bus driver guilty of 1990 deaths". BBC News. July 3, 2003. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "Petrozavodskiy Avtobus site (Russian)". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Manager, รำลึก 17 ปี "รถแก๊สระเบิด" โศกนาฏกรรมที่ต้องจดจำ (17th Anniversary of the "Gas Truck Explosion" Tragedy), September 10, 2007. Retrieved on 2009-04-24.
- "6 november 1990: Kettingbotsing A16, Breda". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "HIGHWAY ACCIDENT REPORT HAR-92-2". Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- New York Times 'Dynamite Blast in Thailand Leaves 122 Onlookers Dead' February 16, 1991, Retrieved April 5, 2006
- "7 Are Killed as Girl Scout Bus Overturns on Mountain Road". The New York Times. August 1, 1991. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "Zimbabwe News Online (13) - 1/12/98". www.africa.upenn.edu. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Scenes of Disaster in Pileup That Killed 17 in California". 1 December 1991. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "On-This-Day.com: November 29". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Associated Press "Bus Crash in Spain Kills 45" The New York Times 20 August 1992
- ADAC. "Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982". Archived from the original on 10 February 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "New York Times report". 11 January 1993. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Custom byline text: From the archive (1993-04-08). "29 die in Bulgaria's worst bus crash". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "33 Killed in Bus Accident". Apnewsarchive.com. 1993-04-07. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Carambolage de Mirambeau: 17 automobilistes et 2 routiers jugés pour homicides involontaires, 23 January 2002
- Withington, John. "Bus crashes". Disaster History. Disaster History. Retrieved 30 November 2016.
- "AP report via CNN". Retrieved 11 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "AP report via CNN". Retrieved 11 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "CNN report". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "CNN report". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "M42 death crash driver wins back his licence". Archive.worcesternews.co.uk. 10 November 2001. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Option or Necessity?
- "Truck Crash Kills 70 Wedding Guests". Los Angeles Times. Missing or empty
- "CNN report". Retrieved 11 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "SOUTH ASIA | Indian bus accident kills thirty-four". BBC News. 1997-11-27. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "MONITORING | Twenty-two killed in Rwandan road crash". BBC News. 1997-12-08. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "MONITORING | Six killed in Indian collision". BBC News. 1998-01-02. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "43 killed in Zimbabwe bus accident". BBC News.
- "AFRICA | 54 die in Kenyan Bus Crash". BBC News. 1998-01-08. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "20 killed, 41 injured in bus accident". rediff.com. Rediff.com India. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "16 killed in Saudi Arabia bus accident". BBC News.
- "CNN report". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "10 killed in Spain bus crash". BBC News.
- "72 killed in Tanzania bus accident". BBC News.
- "45 killed in India bus accident". BBC News.
- "Africa | Nineteen killed in South African bus crash". BBC News. 1998-07-27. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Europe | Montenegro bus crash kills 18". BBC News. 1998-08-12. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | 17 pilgrims killed in north India road accident". BBC News. 1998-08-26. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | Bus crash in Nepal". BBC News. 1998-08-30. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "CNN report". Retrieved 11 August 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Asia-Pacific | About 40 killed in bus-train collision in Turkmenistan". BBC News. 1998-09-20. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Americas | Peruvian bus accident kills twenty-three people". BBC News. 1998-09-27. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | Bus crash kills 40-plus". BBC News. 1998-11-11. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | At least nineteen dead in Indian bus accident". BBC News. 1998-12-14. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Africa | South Africa bus crash kills 21". BBC News. 1998-12-23. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | School children die in mishap". BBC News. 1998-09-25. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Car-pileup in snowy Michigan kills 1 CNN. December 31, 1998. Archived July 19, 2001.
- "Europe | 38 found dead in Georgia bus accident". BBC News. 1999-01-09. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Asia-Pacific | Philippines bus crash kills 22". BBC News. 1999-01-21. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Bus crash kills 18 in Austria". BBC News. January 25, 1999. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "Africa | Thirty one killed in South African bus accident". BBC News. 1999-01-31. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Peruzzi, Britt; Hammar, Filip (26 February 1999). "Nio dog i olyckan i morse" [Nine died in the accident this morning]. Aftonbladet (in Swedish). Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Κινούμενες βόμβες μέσα στα τούνελ". ΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ. May 14, 2008. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "CNN - Cause of bus crash that killed 22 still a mystery - May 10, 1999". www.cnn.com. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Africa | Twenty dead in Kenya crashes". BBC News. 1999-06-06. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "South Asia | Karnataka bus toll rises". BBC News. 1999-06-09. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- Bus Falls Into Mountain Gorge in Northern India; 14 Killed Lethbridge Herald (Alberta); July 23, 1999; p. 11 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- Carambolage de juillet 1999 à Saint-Michel Archived 2011-06-05 at the Wayback Machine, 11 September 2000.
- "Top Ten Weather Stories of 1999". Archived from the original on 6 May 2006. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Americas | Fatal bus crash in Peru". BBC News. 1999-09-16. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Europe | 20 die in Spanish bus crash". BBC News. 1999-09-19. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Africa | Eleven killed in South African crash". BBC News. 1999-09-22. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Africa | South Africa bus crash kills 19". BBC News. 1999-10-04. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Asia-Pacific | 45 die in Indonesian bus crash". BBC News. 1999-10-05. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- "Tour company cleared for fatal Galilee accident". Jerusalem Post. 2006-12-06. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- India Bus Accident Kills 27 Pilgrims Estherville Daily News (Iowa); October 26, 1999 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- "South Asia | Over 50 dead in bus crash". BBC News. 1999-11-07. Retrieved 2013-04-01.
- Early Auto Accidents[permanent dead link] Photos of Auto Accidents from the 1920s to 1950s
- Partial list of Highway disasters
- Descansos.org :: Project to create awareness of victims of vehicular fatalities.
- A Condensed History of Vehicle Recovery in the United Kingdom.