List of trolleybus systems in Switzerland
This is a list of trolleybus systems in Switzerland. It includes all trolleybus systems, past and present.
Alphabetical list by principal city
|Location||Date (From)||Date (To)||Notes|
|Altstätten||8 September 1940||21 May 1977||Connected Altstätten and Berneck. Known as the Rheintal or Rhine Valley system, after the operator's name, Rheintalische Verkehrsbetriebe. Had unusual voltage of 1000V.|
|Basel||31 July 1941||30 June 2008||Operated by BVB. See also Trolleybuses in Basel.|
|Berne / Bern||29 October 1940||Operated by Bernmobil. See also Trolleybuses in Bern.|
|Biel/Bienne||19 October 1940||Operated by VB/TPB. See also Trolleybuses in Biel/Bienne.|
|Cernier, Val-de-Ruz||1 September 1948||14 April 1984||Connected Les Hauts-Geneveys, Cernier, Dombresson and Villiers.|
|Fribourg||1 February 1949||Operated by TPF. See also Trolleybuses in Fribourg.|
|♦ Fribourg – Farvagny||4 January 1912||21 May 1932||See also Fribourg–Farvagny trolleybus system.|
|Geneva / Genève||11 September 1942||Operated by TPG. See also Trolleybuses in Geneva.|
|La Chaux-de-Fonds||23 December 1949||Operated by TRN. See also Trolleybuses in La Chaux-de-Fonds.|
|Lausanne||2 October 1932||Operated by TL. See also Trolleybuses in Lausanne.|
|Lucerne / Luzern||7 December 1941||Operated by VBL. See also Trolleybuses in Lucerne.|
|Lugano||25 April 1954||28 June 2001||Operated by ACT. See also Trolleybuses in Lugano.|
|Montreux||18 April 1957||Connects Vevey, Montreux and Villeneuve. Operated by VMCV. See also Trolleybuses in Montreux/Vevey.|
|Neuchâtel||16 February 1940||System included an interurban line to Cernier (Val-de-Ruz) until 1969. Operated by TN. See also Trolleybuses in Neuchâtel.|
|St. Gallen||18 July 1950||Operated by VBSG. See also Trolleybuses in St. Gallen.|
|Schaffhausen||24 September 1966||Operated by VBSH. See also Trolleybuses in Schaffhausen.|
|Thun||19 August 1952||13 March 1982||Connected Thun and Beatenbucht. Operated by STI.|
|Val-de-Ruz – see Cernier|
|Vevey||19 January 1958||Connects Vevey, Montreux and Villeneuve. Operated by VMCV. See also Trolleybuses in Montreux/Vevey.|
|Winterthur||28 December 1938||Operated by Stadtbus Winterthur. See also Trolleybuses in Winterthur.|
|Zurich / Zürich||27 May 1939||Operated by VBZ. See also Trolleybuses in Zürich.|
In addition to trolleybus systems, one trolley-freight (or trolleytruck) system existed, on a route between Mühleberg and Gümmenen, from 1918 to 1922. It had just two trolley-truck vehicles and was used during construction of a power station.
- List of trolleybus systems, for all other countries
- List of town tramway systems in Switzerland
- List of light-rail transit systems
- List of rapid transit systems
- Trolleybus usage by country
Books and periodicals
- Murray, Alan. 2000. "World Trolleybus Encyclopaedia" (ISBN 0-904235-18-1). Reading, Berkshire, UK: Trolleybooks.
- Dölling, Gerhard (Ed.). 1993. "Strassenbahnatlas Schweiz 1993" (ISBN 3-926524-13-8). Berlin: Arbeitsgemeinschaft Blickpunkt Strassenbahn e.V.
- Peschkes, Robert. 1993. "World Gazetteer of Tram, Trolleybus and Rapid Transit Systems, Part Three: Europe" (ISBN 0-948619-01-5). London: Rapid Transit Publications.
- Trolleybus Magazine (ISSN 0266-7452). National Trolleybus Association (UK). Bimonthly.
- Blickpunkt Strassenbahn. Arbeitsgemeinschaft Blickpunkt Strassenbahn e.V. (Germany). Bimonthly.
- Murray, Alan. "Farewell to a Rural Trolleybus". Trolleybus Magazine No. 94, May-June 1977. p. 65. National Trolleybus Association (UK).
- At a referendum held on 17 June 2007, the cantonal electorate rejected a proposal by trolleybus supporters for retention of the trolleybus system. The electorate accepted a counter-proposal by the cantonal authority to purchase motorbuses to replace the trolleybus fleet. Consequently, the only then-remaining trolleybus line closed in June 2008: Referendum results
- Box, Roland. "A Short History of the Genève System." Trolleybus Magazine No. 278, March-April 2008, p. 26. National Trolleybus Association (UK).
- Trolleybus Magazine No. 240 (November-December 2001), p. 141.
- Murray (2000), p. 128.
- Media related to Trolleybuses in Switzerland at Wikimedia Commons