List of truck types
This List of truck types is intended to classify trucks and to provide links to articles on the various types. The three main classifications for road truck by weight are light trucks, medium trucks, and heavy trucks. Above this there are specialised very heavy trucks and transporters such as heavy haulers for moving oversized loads, and off-road heavy haul trucks used in and mining which are too large for highway use without escorts and special permits.
Light trucks are larger than mini trucks but smaller than medium trucks. In the US, they are defined as weighing between 00001–14000 lb (0001–6350 kg). There is no smaller classification.
- Sport utility vehicle
- Pickup truck/Ute
- Panel truck
- Tow truck (may also be a medium or heavy truck)
Medium trucks are larger than light but smaller than heavy trucks. In the US, they are defined as weighing between 14001–26000 lb (6351–11793 kg). In North America, a medium-duty truck is larger than a heavy-duty pickup truck or full-size van. Some trucks listed as medium also are made in heavy versions.
- Box truck
- Cutaway van chassis
- Medium Duty Truck such as Ford F-650 in North America
- Medium Standard Truck
- Platform truck
- Flatbed truck (may also be light-duty trucks)
- Stake bed truck (may also be light-duty trucks)
- Firetruck (may also be a heavy truck)
- Recreational Vehicle or Motorhome
The following are not types of trucks but types of use of the trucks listed above:
Heavy trucks are heavier than medium trucks. They weigh between 26001 to over 33000 lb (11794 to over 14969 kg). There is no higher on-road classification.
Many heavy trucks listed are also made in medium duty versions:
- Concrete transport truck (cement mixer)
- Mobile crane
- Dump truck
- Garbage truck
- Log carrier
- Refrigerator truck
- Tractor unit
- Tank truck
Very heavy trucks and transporters
Vehicles in this category are too large for highway use without escorts and special permits.
- Haul truck, an exceptionally large off-road dump truck, common in mining operations
- Ballast tractor, a very heavy weight power source for towing and pulling exceptional loads
- Heavy hauler, a combination of power source and very heavy weight transporter
- ALMA transporter is used for transportation of ALMA transporter antennae.
- Commercial vehicle
- Construction equipment
- List of land vehicles types by number of wheels
- Truck classification
- "High and Mighty". Retrieved 8 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trucks by type.|