List of universities and higher education colleges in London
London has one of the largest concentrations of universities and higher education institutions in the world. It has 40 higher education institutions (not counting foreign Universities with London branches) and has a student population of more than 400,000. Among the institutions in London are some of the old and world-famous colleges that today make up the federal University of London, modern universities, as well as a number of smaller and often highly specialised universities and colleges. Additionally, over 45,000 students in over 180 countries follow the University of London External System, established in 1858.
Key (lower numbers are better):
- GUG: Guardian University Guide 2018 (published 2017)
- TUG: Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (published 2017)
- CUG: Complete University Guide 2018 (published 2017)
- UoL: Part of the University of London
- AMBA: accredited by AMBA
- EQUIS: accredited by EQUIS
- QS: ranking in QS World University Rankings 2018
- THE: ranking in Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017/2018
- RG: Russell Group, a self-selected association of 24 prestigious British public research universities
- GT: Golden Triangle, a group of elite universities located in the southern English cities of Cambridge, London and Oxford
- ARWU: ranking in Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017
|Birkbeck, University of London||113||122||115||308||301-350||N/A|
|Brunel University London||72||59||47||346||351-400||401-500|
|City, University of London||32||75||42||343||351-400||N/A|
|Goldsmiths, University of London||64||63||51||398||301-350||N/A|
|Imperial College London||6||4||5||a||8||8||27|
|King's College London||39||28||21||23||36||46|
|London Metropolitan University||117||128||127||701-750||N/A||N/A|
|London School of Economics||15||11||4||35||25||151-200|
|London South Bank University||92||106||108||801-1000||801-1000||N/A|
|Queen Mary University of London||44||43||33||127||121||151-200|
|Ravensbourne University London||na||na||na||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Royal Holloway, University of London||40||28||34||259||197||501-600|
|SOAS, University of London||25||36||38||296||401-500||N/A|
|St George's, University of London||N/A||75||53||N/A||201-250||401-500|
|St Mary's University, Twickenham||105||99||120||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|University College London||10||7||7||7||16||16|
|University of East London||107||114||113||801-1000||601-800||N/A|
|University of Greenwich||95||109||93||801-1000||601-800||N/A|
|University of Roehampton||93||74||69||N/A||601-800||N/A|
|University of the Arts London||59||115||83||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|University of West London||58||56||80||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|University of Westminster||108||106||95||551-600||601-800||N/A|
a Imperial College London, was a college of the University of London but left in 2007.
Specialised and private universities and higher education colleges
The following institutions offer British undergraduate and postgraduate courses, but are usually specialised in one or two academic fields.
- Academy of Live and Recorded Arts (Drama) - Wandsworth
- Bird College (Dance) - Sidcup
- BPP University (Business, Law) - Holborn/Waterloo
- British College of Osteopathic Medicine (Medicine) - Finchley Road
- British School of Osteopathy (Medicine) - Newington
- Central School of Speech and Drama (Drama) - Swiss Cottage
- City of London College - Whitechapel
- Conservatoire for Dance and Drama (Circus/Dance/Drama) - made up of a range of institutions, those in London are:
- Courtauld Institute of Art (History of Art) - Aldwych
- Drama Centre (Drama) - King's Cross
- Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College - Acton/Ealing/Hammersmith/Southall
- ESCP Europe (Business School) London Campus - Finchley Road
- EThames Graduate School (Business) - Gants Hill
- European Business School London (Business) - Regent's Park
- Greenwich School of Management (Business, Law) - Greenwich/Greenford
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama (Music/Drama) - City of London
- Heythrop College (Philosophy/Theology) - Kensington
- Holborn College (Business/Law) - Holborn
- ICMP (The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance) - Kilburn
- Institute of Cancer Research (Medicine) - South Kensington
- Institute of Education (Postgraduate Teacher Education) - Bloomsbury
- Islamic College for Advanced Studies - Kilburn Park
- Istituto Marangoni (Fashion/Design) - Spitalfields
- Kensington College of Business (Business) - Kensington
- London Business School (Postgraduate Business School) - Regent's Park
- "London School of Science and Technology"
- London Business E-School (Business/Engineering) - Finchley Central/Brunswick Park
- London College of Accountancy (Accounting) - Upper Edmonton
- London College of Business (Business) - Ilford/Barking
- London College of Business Management & Information Technology (Business/IT) - North Cheam, opposite St. Anthony's Hospital
- London School of Business and Finance (Business/Finance/Marketing) - Holborn/City of London
- London School of Business and Management (Business/IT/Postgraduate) - Fitzrovia
- London School of Commerce (Postgraduate Business School) - Borough
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Medicine) - Fitzrovia
- London School of Osteopathy (Osteopathy) - Southwark
- London School of Theology (Theology) - Northwood
- London Studio Centre (Dance and theatre) - North Finchley
- Mont Rose College of Management and Sciences (Business/Management/Hospitality) - Ilford
- Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts (Drama) - Wood Green
- New College of the Humanities (Humanities) - Fitzrovia
- Open University - Camden Town
- Pearson College (UK) - Holborn
- Polish University Abroad - Hammersmith
- Ravensbourne (Broadcasting/Fashion/Design/Postgraduate) - North Greenwich
- Regent's University London - Regent's Park, range of schools including:
- Rose Bruford College (Drama) - Sidcup
- Royal Academy of Dance (Dance) - Battersea
- Royal Academy of Music (Music) - Marylebone
- Royal College of Art (Art/Design) - Kensington
- Royal College of Music (Music) - Kensington
- Royal College of Nursing (Nursing) - Marylebone
- Royal Veterinary College (Veterinary) - King's Cross
- SAE Institute (Technology) - Haggerston/Dalston
- School of Advanced Studies (Research-led Postgraduate Specialisms) - Fitzrovia
- St George's, University of London (Medicine) - Tooting Broadway
- St Patrick's College - Stratford
- Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance (Music/Dance) made up of Trinity College of Music and Laban Dance Centre - Greenwich/Deptford/New Cross
- University College of Football Business (Sport) - Wembley Stadium
- University of Law (law) - largest in Europe
- University of International Innovations - Tower Hill
- West End College London
- West London College
- Williams College (undergraduate, postgraduate, professional and English courses)
- Waltham International College
- The Art Academy London (Foundation, Diplomas, Certificates in fine art)
Colleges which form the federal University of London are in italics
A number of foreign university institutions operate in London without Royal Charters. Some are bona fide universities with their degrees validated by recognised accreditation bodies abroad or in the UK, while others are not validated at all or are validated by unrecognised accreditation agencies.
Many foreign universities run study-abroad programmes based in London, but these are often restricted to students who spend the majority of their degree studying at the university campus in their own country, and are not independent university campuses. Some of the colleges offering foreign degrees in London are listed below.
- Booth School of Business
- Fordham University
- New York University
- Hult International Business School
- University of Notre Dame
- Richmond, The American International University in London which does have its own taught degree-awarding powers and is accredited by the Middle States Commission in the USA.
- Schiller International University
- Jagiellonian University
- Grenoble Graduate School of Business, GGSB
- Syracuse University
- Limkokwing University of Creative Technology
University of the West of Scotland, Paisley, Hamilton, Ayr & Dumfries University of West London, Ealing and Brentford University of Westminster, London University of Winchester University of Wolverhampton University of Worcester University of York York St John University
- HEFCE : Universities and Colleges : Higher Education institutions funded by the Council
- "All students FTE by institution and level of study 2004/05". HESA - Higher Education Statistics Agency. Archived from the original on 2011-06-08. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "About London's Higher Education". London Higher. Archived from the original on 2009-12-12. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "About University Of London External System". University of London. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- "University league tables 2018". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "UK University Times Ranking 2018". London: UK Uni. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- "University League Table 2018". Complete University Guide. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "University of London's Colleges and Institutes". University of London. Archived from the original on 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- "AMBA accredited schools". Association MBAs (AMBA). Archived from the original on 2018-01-18. Retrieved 2017-04-26.
- "EQUIS Accredited Schools". European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). Archived from the original on 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2016-04-26.
- "QS World University Rankings 2018". Top Universities. Retrieved 2017-07-09.
- "World University Rankings 2018 - Times Higher Education (THE)". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017". Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- "ESCP Europe Business School". Top Universities. 2018-09-13. Retrieved 2018-11-13.
- "Study Online UK - University of International Innovations". University of International Innovations. Retrieved 2016-02-11.
- Alderman, Geoffrey (2003-09-09). "Far from funny". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- Study London: The official website for London's universities and higher education colleges - provides an impartial guide to studying in London