List of universities in Greece
In the field of post-secondary education there are centers of postsecondary education (abbreviated KEME in Greek) or colleges (kollegia is the transliteration from the Greek word for colleges).
Universities and technical universities
(Greek: Πανεπιστήμια και Πολυτεχνεία)
All the higher Ttertiary state-accredited universities in Greece are public. The duration of the undergraduate degree programs for most disciplines is 4 years (full-time). Programs in engineering, dentistry, pharmacology, agronomics, forestry, along with some programs in fine arts, have a duration of 5 years (240E.C.T.S - 300E.C.T.S ISCED 5A). Medicine is the only discipline with a duration of studies of 6 years.
- Agricultural University of Athens
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (campuses: Thessaloniki, Serres)
- Athens School of Fine Arts
- Athens University of Economics and Business
- Democritus University of Thrace (campuses: Komotini, Xanthi, Alexandroupoli, Orestiada)
- Harokopio University
- Hellenic Open University
- International Hellenic University
- Ionian University
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- National Technical University of Athens
- Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences
- Technical University of Crete
- University of the Aegean (campuses: Mytilene, Chios, Karlovasi, Rhodes, Ermoupoli, Myrina)
- University of Crete (campuses: Heraklio, Rethymno)
- University of Ioannina
- University of Macedonia
- University of Patras (campuses: Patras, Agrinio)
- University of Peloponnese (campuses: Tripoli, Korinthos, Kalamata, Nafplio, Sparti)
- University of Piraeus
- University of Thessaly (campuses: Larissa, Volos, Karditsa, Trikala, Lamia)
- University of Western Macedonia (campuses: Florina, Kozani)
Technological educational institutes
(Greek: T.E.I. - Τεχνολογικά Εκπαιδευτικά Ιδρύματα)
All the higher tertiary state-accredited technological educational institutes in Greece are public. Technological educational institutes were initially established in 1983. They currently offer 4-year (full-time) undergraduate degree programs equivalent to Honours Bachelor's Degree (240E.C.T.S ISCED 5A) and since 2008 they are also allowed to run their own postgraduate programs that lead to a Master's Degree.
- Alexander Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki
- School of Pedagogical and Technological Education
- Technological Educational Institute of Athens
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Greece (campuses: Amfissa, Chalkida, Karpenisi, Lamia, Thiva)
- Technological Educational Institute of Central Macedonia (campuses: Katerini, Kilkis, Serres)
- Technological Educational Institute of Crete (campuses: Heraklio, Chania, Rethymno, Agios Nikolaos, Ierapetra, Sitia)
- Technological Educational Institute of Eastern Macedonia and Thrace (campuses: Kavala, Drama, Didymoteicho)
- Technological Educational Institute of Epirus (campuses: Arta, Ioannina, Preveza, Igoumenitsa)
- Technological Educational Institute of the Ionian Islands (campuses: Lefkada, Argostoli, Lixouri, Zakynthos)
- Technological Educational Institute of Peloponnese (campuses: Kalamata, Sparti)
- Technological Educational Institute of Piraeus
- Technological Educational Institute of Thessaly (campuses: Larissa, Karditsa, Trikala)
- Technological Educational Institute of Western Greece (campuses:Patras, Missolonghi, Pyrgos, Aigio, Nafpaktos and Amaliada)
- Technological Educational Institute of Western Macedonia (campuses: Kozani, Florina, Kastoria, Grevena and Ptolemaida)
Academies and schools
The following academies offer higher education with 4 years of studies and their graduates are equivalent to the graduates of universities. However, they operate under different terms from the universities and among other differences they have is that they are not allowed to run graduate programs on their own.
- Ecclesiastical Academy of Athens
- Ecclesiastical Academy of Crete
- Ecclesiastical Academy of Thessaloniki
- Ecclesiastical Academy of Vellas
- Hellenic Air Force Academy
- Hellenic Fire Academy
- Hellenic Military Academy
- Hellenic Naval Academy
- Hellenic Police Academy
- Military Nursing School
- Military School of Corps Officers
The following schools offer higher education with 4 years of studies and their graduates are equivalent to the graduates of technological educational institutes.
The following schools offer higher education of up to 2 years of studies.
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Air Navigators
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Staff Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Air Force Academy of Technical Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Army School of Non-Commissioned Officers
- Hellenic Naval Academy of Petty Officers
- School of Chief Firemen
- School of Police Constables
- School of Tourism Education of Agios Nikolaos
- School of Tourism Education of Rhodes
According to the Constitution of Greece, "education at university level shall be provided exclusively by institutions which are fully self-governed public law legal persons". This prohibits private institutions for post-secondary education, colloquially known as colleges, from operating as independent universities in Greece. However, it does not prohibit colleges from collaborating with foreign universities to offer undergraduate and postgraduate programmes of study in Greece.
The vast majority of colleges are offering programmes of study under franchise or validation agreements with universities established in other European Union countries, primarily in the UK, leading to degrees which are awarded directly by those universities. The monitoring of those agreements as well as of additional provisions for the operation of colleges is carried out by the Ministry of Education (Law 3696/2008, 3848/2010), but also by the respective educational authorities of the countries in which the universities are based (e.g. QAA, BAC and NARIC for the UK). One example of a college in Greece, not operating as a franchise, and which is not validated through arrangements in the UK is the University of Indianapolis – Athens Campus. By contrast, this college is wholly owned and operated by its home campus, and is therefore accredited by the same agency which accredits the home campus. Consequently, students of the University of Indianapolis can switch between campuses at any time.
Effective May 2010, with the integration into Greek law of EC Directive 2005/36 on the mutual recognition of qualifications, holders of academic degrees by universities in the European Union, including those obtained through studies at a college in Greece, have their professional rights fully recognised.
As of 2012, the following colleges are operating in Greece, according to the Ministry of Education:
|Name||Name in Greek||website|
|ICBS Business College (in Larissa)||ICBS Επιχειρησιακό Κολλέγιο Λάρισας||http://www.icbs.gr|
|MBS College - College of Crete (in Heraklion)||-||http://www.mbs.edu.gr|
|The European College for Tourism Studies (ECTS) (in Corfu)||Ευρωπαϊκό Κολλέγιο Τουριστικής Εκπαίδευσης και Κατάρτισης||http://www.ects.edu.gr|
According to the THE–QS World University Rankings:
|Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Αριστοτέλειο Πανεπιστήμιο Θεσσαλονίκης)||430||401-500||401-450||401-450||451-500||451-500||471-480|
|Athens University of Economics and Business (Οικονομικό Πανεπιστήμιο Αθηνών)||472||501+||501-600||551-600||601+||601+||701+|
|National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (Εθνικόν και Καποδιστριακόν Πανεπιστήμιον Αθηνών)||248||200||177||286||387||501-550||501-550|
|National Technical University of Athens (Εθνικό Μετσόβιο Πολυτεχνείο)||356||401-450||401-450||451-500||551-600||551-600||501-550|
|University of Crete (Πανεπιστήμιο Κρήτης)||437||401-500||401-500||401-450||451-500||451-500||491-500||301-350||301-350|
|University of Patras (Πανεπιστήμιο Πατρών)||457||501+||501-550||451-500||551-600||601+||601-650|
- Academic grading in Greece
- Education in Greece
- List of colleges and universities
- List of colleges and universities by country
- List of research institutes in Greece
- Polytechnic (Greece)
- "The Constitution of Greece". Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "Law 3696/2008" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "Law 3848/2010" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "EC Directive 2005/36". Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "Presidential Decree 38/2010" (PDF). Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- An official list of all the public higher education institutions that are mainly subdivided into universities and technological educational institutes
- Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency (HQAA) (Greek) (English)
- "ATHENA" Plan for Higher Education (Greek)
- Greek Research & Technology Network (GRNET) (English) (Greek)
- Greek Research and Technology Network's projects (GRNET's projects) (English) (Greek)
- okeanos (GRNET's cloud service) (Greek) (English)
- Hellenic Universities Rectors' Synod (English) (Greek)
- Hellenic Universities Faculty Association (Greek)