List of Israeli universities and colleges
This is a list of universities and colleges in Israel. There are eight universities and several dozen[quantify] colleges in Israel, which are recognized and academically supervised by the Council for Higher Education in Israel. In addition, Israel founded a university in Ariel in the West Bank, which is recognized and academically supervised by the Council for Higher Education in Judea and Samaria. As many course offerings are varied, Israeli universities are considered to be of top quality, and they are inexpensive to attend. Israel's quality university education is largely responsible for spurring the country's high tech boom and rapid economic development.
The primary difference between a university and a college in Israel is that only a university can confer doctorate degrees, and therefore tends to be more research-oriented than the more teaching-oriented colleges.
Israel's universities are listed below, followed by their English acronym, establishment date, location, latest data about the number of students and the institute's academic rank of the top world universities, according to WebOMetrics (top 3000), Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) (top 500) and The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) (top 200):
|Institute||Est. Date||Location||Students||World Academic Rank (WebOMetrics, SJTU, THES)|
|Technion - Israel Institute of Technology (IIT)||1912||Haifa||13,000 (2005)||101–150, 102–150, 301–350|
|Hebrew University of Jerusalem (HUJI)||1918||Jerusalem||22,600 (2003)||131, 59, 178|
|Weizmann Institute of Science (WIS)||1934||Rehovot||2,500 (2012)||346, 102–150, N/A|
|Bar-Ilan University (BIU)||1955||Ramat Gan||26,800 (2008)||570, 305–401, N/A|
|Tel Aviv University (TAU)||1956||Tel Aviv-Yafo||29,000 (2005)||266, 102–150, 201–250|
|University of Haifa (HU)||1963||Haifa||18,000 (2009)||510, 401–500, N/A|
|Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU)||1969||Be'er Sheva||19,000 (2010)||448, 203–304, N/A|
|Open University of Israel (OPENU)||1974||Ra'anana||48,000 (2014)||1893, N/A, N/A|
|Ariel University1 (AU)||1982||Ariel||14,000 (2012)||N/A, N/A, N/A|
Most universities offer the full range of graduate and undergraduate degrees – bachelor's, master's and the doctorate. However, the Weizmann Institute does not offer the bachelor's degree and the Open University does not offer the doctorate.
Other institutes of higher education that are accredited by CHEI to confer a bachelor's (and in some cases a master's) degree are known as colleges (Hebrew: מִכְלָלָה Mikhlala; pl. מכללות Mikhlalot). There are also over twenty teacher training colleges - most of which will award only the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.).
1Located in the Israeli administered territories
Foreign university campuses
The following foreign universities maintain international branch campuses in Israel:
- Brigham Young University – the BYU Jerusalem Center
- Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
- Yeshiva University
- University of Indianapolis
Of note, the prestigious NYU, which enrolls the largest number of Jewish students of any public or private university in the United States, and is ranked in the top 34 globally in all major publications of university rankings, has a campus in Tel Aviv.
- David Adler (10 Mar 2014). "Ambitious Israeli students look to top institutions abroad". ICEF. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-10-27. Retrieved 2017-08-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-12-04. Retrieved 2017-02-08.
- "Times Higher Education". Times Higher Education. Archived from the original on 2007-05-04.
- Academic and Regional Colleges Israel Science and Technology
- Teacher Training Colleges Israel Science and Technology
- "דף זה אינו קיים". mictec.ac.il. Archived from the original on 2008-01-03.
- Administrator. "לימודי חינוך והוראה - המכללה לחינוך דוד ילין". dyellin.ac.il.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-12-27. Retrieved 2007-12-27.
- "Colleges in Israel". science.co.il.
- "לימודי חינוך ואמנויות - סמינר הקיבוצים". smkb.ac.il. Archived from the original on 2009-05-25.
- "מכללת לוינסקי לחינוך - לימודי חינוך". levinsky.ac.il.
- "מכללת ליפשיץ". macam.ac.il. Archived from the original on 2012-12-18.
- "אורות באזרחות". mor.ac.il. Archived from the original on 2010-02-12.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2009-03-04.
- "שאנן - המכללה האקדמית הדתית לחינוך, חיפה". macam.ac.il.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-05-10. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Universities and colleges in Israel.|