There are more than 300 colleges and universities in North Korea. Universities and colleges in North Korea are classified into central class and local colleges. Central universities are managed and controlled by the central (national) government while local universities are managed by local governments. Also, they can be classified into social, special, and military colleges. Special colleges were established with the purpose to raise top executives. Students who have just graduated from high school cannot enter special colleges without any experience in industrial or cooperative farm careers.
- Library of Congress country study, see p. 7 for Education and Literacy (Archived October 20, 2013, at the Wayback Machine)
- World List of Universities 2016, p. 334.
- World List of Universities 2016, p. 335.
- http://www.kut.edu.kp/index.php/page/index?si=2[bare URL]
- Brown, Christopher (2004). Developing a reliable methodology for assessing the computer network operations threat of North Korea (PDF) (Master's thesis). Monterey: Naval Postgraduate School. p. 28. hdl:10945/1457. OCLC 795218326.
- World List of Universities 2016, p. 333.
- Corfield, Justin (1 December 2014). Historical Dictionary of Pyongyang. Anthem Press. p. 77. ISBN 978-1-78308-341-1.
- "13th Supreme People's Assembly election compilation". North Korean Economy Watch. 9 March 2014. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- http://www.uriminzokkiri.com/index.php?ptype=cfonew&stype=0&ctype=0&lang=eng&mtype=view&no=36381[bare URL]
- "Pyongyang Medical University". Nuclear Threat Initiative. Archived from the original on 16 June 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- Osborne, Charlie. "A glimpse into the world of North Korea's hacking elite". ZDNet. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Video of the university
- [https://web.archive.org/web/20221218045958/http://m.oananews.org/news.php?id=549725 Archived 2022-12-18 at the Wayback Machine
- "Art Troupes and Institutions". Naenara. Archived from the original on 18 November 2005. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- 37 North Korean universities open departments focusing on IT, engineering: media
- "Pyongyang University and NK: Just do IT!". November 2010.
- Corwin, Chris Rogers and Marshall (3 February 2014). "Inside North Korea's Western-funded university". BBC News. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "Training Sci-tech Talents with Practical Ability". NK News. November 10, 2021. Retrieved November 10, 2021.
- Democratic People's Republic of Korea - Educational Establishment (Archived April 3, 2013, at the Wayback Machine)