List of universities in South Africa
This is a list of universities in South Africa. For the purposes of this list, colleges and universities are defined as accredited, degree-granting, post-secondary institutions. As at September 2019 only South African public degree-granting institutions may call themselves a "university", whereas other accredited private for-profit or not-for-profit degree-granting institutions tend to call themselves colleges, institutes or business schools.
Some of these private institutions are local campuses of foreign universities. Degree-granting institutions (both public and private) must be registered with, and have their specific degree programs accredited by, the Council on Higher Education.
In 2004 South Africa started reforming its public higher education system, merging and incorporating small public universities into larger institutions, and renaming all higher education institutions "university" (previously there had been several types of higher education institution). The country's universities and "technikons" which were incorporated with others and thus no longer exist are listed at the end of the article.
Two new universities launched in 2013, Sol Plaatje University and the University of Mpumalanga. They are tentatively classified in the universities of technology category, pending clarification of their programs.
Public universities in South Africa are divided into three types: traditional universities, which offer theoretically-oriented university degrees; universities of technology ("technikons"), which offer vocational oriented diplomas and degrees; and comprehensive universities, which offer a combination of both types of qualification.
|University of Cape Town||Ikeys / UCT||1 October 1829||2 April 1918||18,421||10,653||29,074||Cape Town||Eng|
|University of Fort Hare||UFH / Blues||1916||9,074||2,000||11,074||Alice, East London, Bhisho||Eng|
|University of the Free State||Kovsies / UFS||28 January 1904||1950||21,193||5,082||26,275||Bloemfontein, QwaQwa||Eng|
|University of KwaZulu-Natal||UKZN / Natal / Impi||1 January 20041||1 January 2004||33,456||13,064||46,520 (2016)||Durban, Pietermaritzburg, Pinetown, Westville||Eng|
|University of Limpopo||Turfloop||1 January 20051||1 January 2005||17,273||3,327||20,600||Polokwane, Turfloop||Eng|
|North-West University||NWU / Pukke / Potch||1 January 20041||1 January 2004||43,596||3,235||44,008||Mafikeng, Mankwe, Potchefstroom, Vanderbijlpark||Afr (Potchefstroom campus) Eng (Mafikeng campus) Setswana (Vaaldriehoek campus)|
|University of Pretoria||Tuks / Tukkies / UP||4 March 1908||10 October 1930||35,9422||12,5412||48,483||Pretoria, Johannesburg3||Eng|
|Rhodes University||Rhodes / RU||31 May 1904||10 March 1951||5,456||1,127||6,700||Grahamstown||Eng|
|Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University4||SMU (formerly MEDUNSA)||16 May 2014||16 May 2014||6,410 (2018)||Ga-Rankuwa, Pretoria||Eng|
|University of Stellenbosch||Maties, Stellies||1866||2 April 1918||17,970 ||9,853||27,823||Stellenbosch, Saldanha Bay, Bellville, Tygerberg||Eng|
|University of the Western Cape||UWC / Bush / U Dubs||1959||1970||11,836||3,390||15,226||Bellville (Cape Town)||Eng|
|University of the Witwatersrand||Wits, Witsies||1896||1922||24 621||13 234||38 353||Johannesburg||Eng|
Note1: By merger of existing institutions
Note2: Exact and current numbers not available, these numbers are from the University of Pretoria's wiki.
University of South Africa (Unisa)
|University of Johannesburg||UJ||1 January 20051 (1967 as RAU, Technikon Witwatersrand and the East Rand campus of Vista University)||>50,000||Johannesburg, Soweto||Eng|
|Nelson Mandela University||Madibaz / NMMU||1 January 20052 (1964 as UPE)||19,768||2,884||22,652||Port Elizabeth, George||Eng|
|University of South Africa||Unisa||1873 (UCGH)||300,000||Distance education, headquartered in Pretoria, campuses and regional offices nationwide||Eng|
|University of Venda||Univen||1982||10,968||Thohoyandou||Eng|
|Walter Sisulu University||WSU||1977 (Unitra)||32,081 (2018)||East London, Butterworth, Mthatha, Queenstown||Eng|
|University of Zululand||UniZulu||1960||6,456||369||6,825||Empangeni||Eng|
Note1: By merger of existing institutions
Note2: By merger of existing institutions
Universities of technology
|Institution||Nickname||Founded||University status||Undergrad||Postgrad||Total (2011)||Location(s)||Medium|
|Cape Peninsula University of Technology||CPUT/Cats||20051||2005||32,000||Bellville, Cape Town||Eng|
|Central University of Technology||CUT||1981||9,933||Bloemfontein, Welkom||Eng|
|Durban University of Technology||DUT||20021||2002||23,000||Durban, Pietermaritzburg||Eng|
|Mangosuthu University of Technology||MUT||1979||2007||Umlazi||Eng|
|University of Mpumalanga||2013||2013||Mbombela||Eng|
|Sol Plaatje University||SPU||2013||2013||Kimberley, Northern Cape||Eng|
|Tshwane University of Technology||TUT||20031||2003||60,000||Pretoria, Mbombela, Polokwane, Ga-Rankuwa, Soshanguve, Witbank||Eng|
|Vaal University of Technology||VUT||1966||2003||17,000||Vanderbijlpark, Secunda, Kempton Park, Klerksdorp, Upington||Eng|
Note1: By merger of existing institutions
Private degree-granting seminaries, Institutes and colleges
|Two Oceans Graduate Institute||TOGI||2017||Registered private higher education institution||Cape Town/Online Institution||Eng|
|Auckland Park Theological Seminary||ATS||Theological seminary||Johannesburg||Eng|
|Baptist Theological College of Southern Africa||1951||Theological seminary||Johannesburg||Eng|
|George Whitefield College||1989||Theological seminary||Cape Town||Eng|
League tables of South African universities are largely based on international university rankings, because there have not as yet been published any specifically South African rankings.
University research collaboratives
- Cape Higher Education Consortium (CHEC)
- Foundation of Tertiary Institutions of the Northern Metropolis (FOTIM)
- Higher Education South Africa (HESA)
- Southern Education and Research Alliance (SERA)
- Ranking of South African universities
- List of colleges and universities by country
- List of post secondary institutions in South Africa
- List of South African universities by endowment
- List of South African university chancellors and vice-chancellors
- List of medical schools in South Africa
- List of law schools in South Africa
- List of business schools in South Africa
- List of architecture schools in South Africa
- Open access in South Africa
- Higher Education South Africa
- Academic boycotts of South Africa (historical Apartheid-era)
- "Nzimande Cautions ... Against Calling ... Institutions a University".
- "This website was recently revamped". www.unisa.ac.za.
- "South Africa's new universities named". Archived from the original on 20 January 2015. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 March 2005. Retrieved 1 March 2005.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- HESA Structures[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 15 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Our history Retrieved 13 May 2011
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 December 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 28 April 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Brief History Retrieved 28 April 2011
- Username *. "University of the Free State". SARUA. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 January 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) History - University of KwaZulu-Natal Retrieved 13 May 2011
- "UKZN at a Glance" (PDF). Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "University of Limpopo". Ul.ac.za. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "NWU, History of the NWU". Nwu.ac.za. 1 January 2004. Archived from the original on 25 July 2018. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "New Students | University of Pretoria". Web.up.ac.za. Archived from the original on 20 October 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 November 2009. Retrieved 31 August 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) History of the University of Pretoria. Retrieved 31 August 2009.
- "Pretoria School of Architecture". Artefacts.co.za. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "UP at a Glance". issuu. Retrieved 3 November 2020.
- Campuses Retrieved 1 October 2010 Archived 18 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Rhodes University-Where Leaders Learn". Ru.ac.za. 24 April 2015. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- Nzimande, Blade. "HIGHER EDUCATION ACT, 1997 (ACT No. 101 OF 1997) ESTABLISHMENT OF A PUBLIC HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION: Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University" (PDF). Government Gazette. Government Printing Works. 587 (37658). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 September 2017. Retrieved 28 September 2017. Alt URL
- "A Little Giant Surely Reaching its Milestones". Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 31 January 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Retrieved 13 May 2011
- "Stellenbosch University Statistical Profile 2012" Archived 28 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine, Official Stellenbosch University Website, SU Consensus, June 2012
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 16 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 27 December 2011. Retrieved 12 December 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Retrieved 13 May 2011
- , University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg FACTS & FIGURES 2017/2018, retrieved 4 August 2018
- "University of Johannesburg". Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "VC's state of the university address: Convocation AGM". 2018. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- The Observatory on Borderless Higher Education (2004). Breaking News Archive - June 2004 Archived 1 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2 February 2008.
- "Port Elizabeth (PE) Technikon". Study South Africa. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "This website was recently revamped". Unisa.ac.za. Retrieved 24 July 2018.