List of cities and towns in Malaysia by population
The following is a list of cities and towns in Malaysia by population according to various sources and methods of calculations.
The population situation for Malaysian cities is very confusing, even to Malaysians, and is in a constant definition revamp that just confuses more. There are LGAs (Local government areas), in urbanised areas mostly town and city councils, which do not fit cleanly into districts or correspond to them, haphazardly, and furthermore, in 2013 the Malaysian government released population figures for 2010 Census for only 12 cities/towns that fail to correspond with LGAs or Districts data. Therefore, all the Malaysian statistical agency published manners of data are presented here, in addition to 3rd party information.
Population by local government areas
|Rank||Local government area||Total population||Notes||Status|
|4||Seberang Perai||794,062||Includes Butterworth, Bukit Mertajam||Municipality|
|6||Penang Island||708,127||Includes George Town||City|
|11||Johor Bahru Tengah||529,074||Most areas of Johor Bahru District except Johor Bahru (city).||Municipality|
|16||Kota Kinabalu||452,058||The largest town in Sabah.||City|
|26||Padawan||273,485||Part of Kuching.||Municipality|
|28||Kulai||235,072||Kulai District, including Senai||Municipality|
|29||Miri||234,541||2nd largest city in Sarawak||City|
|38||Nilai||200,988||Most areas of Seremban (district) except Seremban (town).||Municipality|
|43||Penampang||176,667||Part of Greater Kota Kinabalu.||District|
Population by administrative districts
Largest urban agglomerations
The following is a list of 10 largest urban agglomerations, metropolitan areas or conurbations based on 2010 population census within local government areas surrounding the urban agglomeration and based on Google Earth compared the population within districts boundaries as wells as figures obtained from other online web sources.
- Cities of Malaysia
- List of capitals in Malaysia
- List of cities in Malaysia by population
- List of cities in Malaysia with large Malaysian Chinese populations
- "Key Summary Statistics For Local Authority Areas, Malaysia 2010" (PDF). Department of Statistics, Malaysia. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Population Distribution and Basic Demographic Characteristics, 2010" (PDF). Department of Statistics, Malaysia. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "World Urban Areas" (PDF). Demographia. April 2012. pp. 74–75. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Malaysia: Federal States, Territories, Major Cities & Conurbations - Statistics & Maps on City Population". City Population. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Malaysia: metropolitan areas". World Gazetteer. Archived from the original on 9 February 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- The Georgetown Conurbation Plan
- Georgetown-Sungai Petani-Kulim Growth Management Plan
- Government banks on intensive urbanisation to pull investment