List of wars involving Finland
This is a list of wars involving independent Finland. This list only includes conflicts where Finnish forces took part in actual combat, thus excluding peacekeeping operations.
|Conflict||Combatant 1||Combatant 2||Result||Finnish leaders||Finnish losses|
|President||Chief of Defence|
|Finnish Civil War
| White Guard
| Red Guard
|White Senate victory
(Reds and Whites)
|Finland||Soviet Union||Defeat (but survival as an independent state)||
|Soviet Union||Defeat (but survival as an independent state)||
For the wars during the Russian rule (1809–1917), see French invasion of Russia (1812), November Uprising (war in Poland in 1830), Russo-Turkish War (several), Russo-Japanese War (1904–05) and World War I (1914–17). For the list of wars during the Swedish rule (1249–1809), see List of Swedish wars. For information on conflicts related to Finland prior to Swedish rule, see Early Finnish wars.
- Military of the Grand Duchy of Finland
- Military history of Finland
- List of Finnish treaties
- Early Finnish wars
- History of Finland
- List of Swedish wars
- Finland Guard Regiment
- National Archive
- Wasserstein, Bernard (2007). Barbarism and Civilization: A History of Europe in our Time. Oxford University Press. p. 125. ISBN 9780191622519.
- Finnish detailed death casualties: Dead, buried 16,766; Wounded, died of wounds 3,089; Dead, not buried, later declared as dead 3,503; Missing, declared as dead 1,712; Died as a prisoner of war 20; Other reasons (diseases, accidents, suicides) 677; Unknown 137.
- Mouritzen, Hans (1997). External Danger and Democracy: Old Nordic Lessons and New European Challenges. Dartmouth. p. 35. ISBN 1-85521-885-2.
- Finnish detailed death casualties: Dead, buried 33,565; Wounded, died of wounds 12,820; Dead, not buried later declared as dead 4,251; Missing, declared as dead 3,552; Died as prisoners of war 473; Other reasons (diseases, accidents, suicides) 7,932; Unknown 611
- Ahto 1980, p. 296.