List of wars involving Turkey
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|War of Independence
|Ankara Government|| Greece
|Sheikh Said Rebellion
|Turkey||Sunni Zaza tribes||Victory
|Turkey||Republic of Ararat||Victory
| South Korea
|| North Korea
|Cyprus crisis of 1963–64
(Intervention in Battle of Tylliria)
|Cyprus||Ceasefire (Battle of Tylliria)
|Turkish invasion of Cyprus
|Political violence in Turkey
|Grey Wolves|| TKP/ML
|1980 Turkish coup d'état
|Operation Restore Hope
|United Somali Congress||Victory
|Operation Deliberate Force
(Participant in NATO air operation)
|Republika Srpska||NATO Victory|
|Iraqi Kurdish Civil War
(Participant in NATO Operation Allied Force)
||FR Yugoslavia||NATO Victory|
|War in Afghanistan
|Libyan Civil War (2011)
(Assisted NATO military intervention)
|American-led intervention in Iraq
|Operation Euphrates Shield
|Operation Olive Branch
| Northern Syria
|Operation Peace Spring
| Northern Syria
Coup in Turkey
There have been following at least 5 coups in Turkey, including successful and failed attempts:
- 1960 coup d'état
- 1971 military memorandum
- 1980 coup d'état
- 1997 military memorandum
- 27 April 2007 memorandum
- 2016 coup d'état attempt
Insurgency in Turkey
There are several insurgency in Turkey, including the following:
- Cypriot insurgency
- Islamist ISIL insurgency in Turkey
- Kurdish insurgency in Turkey - 1st and 2nd Phase and Kurdish insurgency in Turkey - 3rd Phase
- Maoist insurgency in Turkey
- Marxist-Leninist DHKP/C insurgency in Turkey
- Terrorism in Turkey
Other armed conflicts involving Turkey
- Armenian genocide by Ottomans 1914–1923
- Menemen Uprising 1930
- Turkey during World War II 1945
- Cuban Missile Crisis 1962
- Greece-Turkey Imia/Kardak conflict, 1995
- Turkish involvement in the Syrian Civil War 2012-present
Borders and corresponding conflicts of Turkey
The conflicts can also be seen in the context of borders of Turkey and the corresponding disputes:
- Bulgaria–Turkey border
- Syria–Turkey border
- Military history of Turkey
- List of wars involving the Ottoman Empire
- Military history of the Ottoman Empire
- List of battles involving the Ottoman Empire
- Turkish military intervention in Syria
- Chester Neal Tate, Governments of the world: a global guide to citizens' rights and responsibilities, Macmillan Reference USA/Thomson Gale, 2006, p. 205.
- Including 163 missing
- James, A. (28 November 2001). Keeping the Peace in the Cyprus Crisis of 1963–64. Springer. pp. 147–149. ISBN 9781403900890 – via Google Books.
- O'Malley, Brendan; Craig, Ian (25 June 2001). The Cyprus Conspiracy: America, Espionage and the Turkish Invasion. Bloomsbury Publishing. pp. 115–121. ISBN 9780857711922 – via Google Books.
- Dodd, Clement (21 April 2010). The History and Politics of the Cyprus Conflict. Springer. p. 69. ISBN 9780230275287 – via Google Books.
- "Cengiz Topel (1934–1964)" (in Turkish). Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı Okulweb. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Haydar Çakmak: Türk dış politikası, 1919–2008, Platin, 2008, ISBN 9944137251, page 688 (in Turkish); excerpt from reference: 415 ground, 65 navy, 5 air, 13 gendarmerie (= 498 killed)
- American University (Washington, D.C.). Foreign Area Studies; Eugene K. Keefe (1980). Cyprus, a country study. Foreign Area Studies, American University : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
Authoritative figures for casualties during the two- phased military operation were not published; available estimates listed Greek Cypriot losses at 6,000 dead and Turkish losses at 1,500 dead and 2,000 wounded...
- Gil, Ata. "La Turquie à marche forcée," Le Monde diplomatique, February 1981.
- Ustel, Aziz (2008-07-14). "Savcı, Ergenekon'u Kenan Evren'e sormalı asıl!". Star Gazete (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-10-21.
Ve 13 Eylül 1980’de Türkiye’yi on yıla yakın bir süredir kasıp kavuran terör ve adam öldürmeler bıçakla kesilir gibi kesildi.
- "Operation Restore Hope". Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- Cimbala, Stephen J.; Forster, Peter (21 October 2005). The US, NATO and Military Burden-Sharing. Routledge. p. 135. ISBN 9781134251971 – via Google Books.
- "Operation Deliberate Force". www.globalsecurity.org. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Olsen, John Andreas (15 July 2014). European Air Power: Challenges and Opportunities. Potomac Books, Inc. ISBN 9781612346816 – via Google Books.
- "Parliament OKs Turkey's Involvement in Libya". The Oakland Press. Ankara. Associated Press. 24 March 2011. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Several Turkish citizens have been killed in attacks claimed by ISIS. See Category:ISIL terrorist incidents in Turkey