List of wealthiest animals
This is a list of the wealthiest animals in the world. Many inherited money from their owners.
Animals are not legal persons and cannot directly own property. Animals typically "inherit" money through a pet trust through which the money must be used for their care after the death of the owner.
- Olivia Benson, Taylor Swift's cat, inherited a whopping $97 million fortune, thus making it the richest cat in the world.
- Blackie, considered the richest cat by Guinness World Records until 2018, inherited a $12.5 million fortune.
- Gigoo was a Scots Dumpy hen willed $15 million. It was owned by Miles Blackwell, a publisher of textbooks.
- Tommaso is a black cat that inherited $13 million in Italy. This cat was a stray that found its way into the home of Maria Assunta, a property magnate in Italy. When Assunta died at the age of 94, she willed her fortune to either the cat or an animal welfare charity that would look after it. It was decided after no suitable charity could be found that the money would be given to the cat, held in trust by Assunta's nurse.
- Trouble is a dog owned by Leona Helmsley. She left Trouble $12 million.
- Flossie, a dog owned by Drew Barrymore, barked to alert her and then-husband Tom Green of a fire. She put her house in trust for the dog to show her gratitude.
- Big Tibby inherited £50,000. The 52-year-old tortoise was willed the money by his millionaire owner, Donald Moss.
- Csoki, an African parrot, received £50,000 from Victoria Brown, a millionaire from London, England.
- Gunther IV, apparently worth $200 million, is a dog dynasty who inherited money from Countess Karlotta Liebenstein of Germany
- List of cats
- List of individual dogs
- List of individual primates
- List of wealthiest families
- List of wealthiest historical figures
- The World's Billionaires
- List of wealthiest organizations
- Fox, Emily Jane (2015-09-09). "What Happens When Someone Leaves Millions to a Pet?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "10 of the Richest Pets in History". mentalfloss.com. 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2019-06-12.
- Wealthiest cat | Guinness World Records
- World's Richest Chicken - Millionaire Hen
- Tommaso, the Italian cat, inherits $13 million from owner Maria Assunta | Public Radio International
- "Richest dogs in the world". Dogtime. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Pets that inherited a fortune". MNN - Mother Nature Network. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Super-rich furry animals: Four-legged legacies (and other pet payouts)". 30 August 2007. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "These animals are probably richer than you are". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "A Match Made in Doggy Heaven". latimes. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Tim Parker. "These Are Some Of The Richest Pets In The World". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "The world's top 4 richest pets". Yahoo! Finance. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Mervin Rosenman (1984). Forgery, Perjury and an Enormous Fortune.
- Brad Tuttle. "The 10 Richest Pets of All Time". MONEY.com. Retrieved 22 February 2016.