List of wealthiest animals
The list of wealthiest animals in the world include animals that have inherited or earned over $1M USD.
Animals are not legal persons and cannot directly own property. Animals typically "inherit" money through a pet trust through which the money must be used for their care after the death of the owner.
- Gunther IV, apparently worth $200 million, is a dog dynasty who inherited money from Countess Karlotta Leibenstein of Germany.
- Gigoo was a Scots Dumpy hen willed $15 million. She was owned by Miles Blackwell, a publisher of textbooks.
- Tommaso is a black cat that inherited $13 million in Italy. This cat was a stray that found its way into the home of Maria Assunta, a property magnate in Italy. When Assunta died at the age of 94, she willed her fortune to either the cat or an animal welfare charity that would look after it. It was decided after no suitable charity could be found that the money would be given to the cat, held in trust by Assunta's nurse.
- Blackie, considered the richest cat by Guinness World Records until 2018, inherited a $12.5 million fortune.
- Conchita, a Chihuahua, was bequeathed $3 million plus an $8.3 million mansion in Miami by heiress Gail Posner.
- Trouble is a dog that was owned by Leona Helmsley, to which she willed $12 million in a will that disinherited her two grandchildren. A judge later amended the amount down to $2M.
- Flossie, a dog owned by Drew Barrymore, barked to alert her and then-husband Tom Green of a fire. She put her $1.3M house in trust for the dog to show her gratitude.
- Tinker was a stray cat that was bequeathed an $800,000 home and a $226,000 trust fund.
- Choupette was the cat companion of fashion magnate Karl Lagerfield, and it is rumored that she was left at least part of Lagerfield's US$200 million fortune after his death in 2019.
- List of cats
- List of individual dogs
- List of individual primates
- List of wealthiest families
- List of wealthiest historical figures
- The World's Billionaires
- List of wealthiest organizations
- Fox, Emily Jane (2015-09-09). "What Happens When Someone Leaves Millions to a Pet?". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "These animals are probably richer than you are". Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "A Match Made in Doggy Heaven". latimes. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- World's Richest Chicken - Millionaire Hen
- Tommaso, the Italian cat, inherits $13 million from owner Maria Assunta | Public Radio International
- Wealthiest cat | Guinness World Records
- Perone, Tim (June 17, 2010). "Heiress' big $$ goes to the dogs". New York Post.
- "Richest dogs in the world". Dogtime. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Pets that inherited a fortune". MNN - Mother Nature Network. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Karl Lagerfeld's cat could be his heir". BBC News. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 1 April 2020.
- Thomas, Dana (21 January 2020). "What Happened to Choupette?". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 April 2020.
- Tim Parker. "These Are Some Of The Richest Pets In The World". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "The world's top 4 richest pets". Yahoo! Finance. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Mervin Rosenman (1984). Forgery, Perjury and an Enormous Fortune.
- Brad Tuttle. "The 10 Richest Pets of All Time". MONEY.com. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "10 of the Richest Pets in History". mentalfloss.com. 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2019-06-12.